LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Feeling really down.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Feeling really down.
merrygirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12041

Icon 9 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys, I guess I could use some virtual hugs.

I am so depressed I dont leave my bed unless I have to. School has started and I have a lot of time to reflect and have pity parties for myself.
I have no interest in anything fun anymore. My jewelry making has stopped.

I have a lot of situational stress going on now, but this depression stinks.

I should be grateful for everything I DO have but you know when your depressed that doesnt even matter.

When I get depressed I dont take any meds except psych meds. I dont know why. I am definitely lazy and give up almost weekly.

I am so sick of the pain. I am sick of the fatigue where the bed calls my name.

I see a therapist but waiting for ins to approve more visits. (Maybe I will call tomorrow to check)

The fall and holidays are my favorite time of year. I look forward to this forever. I am so grateful the summer is basically over! So whats my problem?

I am about to cancel my birthday party for next weekend, because I am too tired to cook and clean for people. I know that cancelling it would be giving into my depression.

I am not suicidal thank goodness I am grateful for that.

any advice is appreciated. I hope that you are doing well.

M [Frown]

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
((((Merry)))))

[group hug]

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm really sorry to hear this, merry. I wish I could say or do something to make it easier for you.

Did you know that I make jewelry too? I started that when I had to quit teaching due to IC and FM... which of course, was really Lyme.

Do you feel up to "chatting" about that? What do you make? Are you on Etsy?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks carol!!

Lymetoo- I didnt know you made jewelry! thats so cool. I am definitely a novice. I have some stuff on etsy but my photos there are not so good. My camera doesnt zoom so well. closeups are blurry. So that does me no good. haha.

I also like to make christmas crafts.

I enjoy doing craft fairs but havent found that one thing that sells like crazy. I have some ideas for this years christmas fairs. But the ptoblem is I have no money at the moment to get the supplies I need. so That is bumming me out,. I can get some stuff next week though.

What do you make? Do you have etsy or do craft fairs?

Anyone with ideas for simple yet great crafts that I could make and people would buy would be huge!

My idea is to make cute hangers for holiday cards. You know how some people tape them to the door or doorway? well this would be like a garland that has clips to hang them from. all in a nice colors and christmas themes. SO that is my craft I will be working on.

See this has cheered me up!!

I would love to know about other crafters and what they do.

Thanks for getting my mind off of this.

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not celebrate your birthday some way that did not involve cooking and cleaning? Restaurant? Take out? Party in nearby park with take out? Seems like this might cheer you up, so that you don't focus on all the things you don't feel like doing.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
INEBG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for INEBG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
merrygirl, I love your idea for a holiday card garland. It's always a challenge for me to figure out what to do with all those cards! If I saw something like that at a Christmas craft fair, I'd definitely buy it!

I think lou's idea of moving the birthday gathering elsewhere so you don't have the responsibility of doing all the work in preparation is a good one. If none of those ideas will work, what about letting someone else host it?

I hope your depression lifts soon. I know how difficult it is to get excited about anything when you're depressed, but for me, sometimes I just have to force myself to do something I know I usually like and often once I'm started I end up enjoying it.

You asked about crafts. I love to sew and this year I'm making handbags and tote bags for family members and friends, and stuffed animals and cozy throws for the grandkids. My machine does embroidery and I'm looking forward to learning how to use it. I like to incorporate beading onto the bags I make, and I like using vintage buttons and notions on them, too.

Lymetoo, I also quit my teaching job b/c of FM and IC which turned out to really be Lyme. I don't know how anyone maintains a classroom teaching job when they have IC. I sure couldn't do it.

Posts: 212 | From San Francisco Bay Area, California | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[group hug]

Hope this hug finds you feeling at least a tiny bit better!

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my favorite things from a craft fair was a beeswax mold of an old fashioned Santa Claus.
It was about four or five inches high, with a string hanger.

I've seen beeswax molds of various things on eBay.

One time our Mothers Group was having a cookie trade, and making up Christmas gift baskets for the office staff at the church.

I made play clay, added food coloring to make it brown and cinnamon for aroma, and made gingerbread men "cookies."
I made a hole at the top of each, baked until dry, and added a red ribbon to hang.

Everyone liked their ginger bread men.

[Smile]

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manderson7185
Member # 27787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for manderson7185     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Merry,
I began quilting a year ago. I used to sew (was even in a 4-H club for it as a kid) and thought that would be a useful craft to get into. Lap quilts are great gifts. I also crochet and knit, and am trying to learn felting. My aunt makes jewelry (specializing in wire bending) and my mom makes dichroic glass, pottery, and does china painting.

As far as fall goes, this is the best time for craft fairs! I always look forward to filling my weekends wandering through countless crafter's wares and find a lot of inspiration there. Maybe you could get some friends together and do that for your birthday?

--------------------
June 2009: Lyme IGM 23 and 39 positive, Titer 1.12.
September 2010: Rediagnosed with Lyme as well as Babesia coinfection.

Posts: 27 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For many years I did not leave my bedroom. I had my porta potty in there, my oxygen tank, my IV pole, etc. It was pretty dreary. After I got out of the hospital I refused to go back there. I struggled up and down the stairs instead.

Last year, as a surprise, my kids stripped down the room, painted and tiled it and it is now the Art Room in our house. It is now my happy place. I still have trouble with the stairs and do not use it as much as I would like. But I am getting there.

One of the reasons I believe I survived is that I found something to do on my bookshelf headboard. I made beautiful lacquered greeting cards. I made hundreds of them. My son sold some at work, but most of them are here in boxes. Everyone admires them and wants to frame them.

It's weird that I was so out of it in every way but my creativity was alive and well. When I got out of the hospital I asked people why everyone was talking about "9-11". I had no idea what it meant.

My advice is to do Something creative, no matter how small. The process of it causes you to think about colors, patterns, beauty instead of how miserable you are.

I collected yards and yards of fabric by a mail order company. I dreamed of the time I would be able to sew again. I am still not sewing, but hope to before too long. And I need to figure out how to sell a lot of that fabric and all those cards!

My hussband encouraged me to buy it because he knew it made me happy. I loved the colors and textures.

Now that I am mobile I have graduated to scrapbooking, Photoshop and crafts for my grandchildren. When my hands become less trembly I plan to get back to my wonderful quilting hobby. I am also working on a new web page.

Keep busy, even in bed. I still spend way too much time there but it is less and less each week. I finally was able to take down the dark blanket that covered the windows.

PM me for more ideas. Those I have lots of!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
((((merry)))) So sorry to hear you are feeling depressed. You started such a fantastic birthday greeting for me! Thank you. It was awesome! [Smile] I was so surprised to see one today on Lyme Friends, too! It really made me feel good that you did that for me. And reading those messages made my day! [Smile]

Anyways...I was busy today so I wasn't in chat, but we should do a day chat on Friday. I am not sure what time I'll get up. It can range from like 10 AM to 2 PM my time, but no matter what, it would be fun to meet up in chat if you're available, so I will PM you once I'm up!

Hope to see you in there!

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much for your warm thoughts and great ideas!

I am still pretty blue. I have a new area for my jewelry crafts, but I still havent made anything yet. its like I have complete blockage of my creativity vibes!

My new idea for the card holder makes me excited and I can get the supplies next week. So that will be fun. I am looking forward to next week.

Hoos. I would definitely like to chat with you today. Just pm me! You are very welcome for the messgaes!

Hope everyone has a good day.

Haustinc
Member # 24532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haustinc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just read this and realized what a beautiful community this is-

Thank you all for your support, it's great to see for me right now.

And, merrygirl, I suffered from depression (and creative blocks) for a long time, without knowing about my lyme and pretending it didn't exist. Strangely, knowing about it did make it worse, because there are those things you can control and those you can't, and your influence lies in an indefinable middle ground between.

So don't give in to it, but don't try to beat "it" either, because there are certain things only time will alleviate and, trust me even when you can't- It will.

But, for me, the best solution I ever found was a very solemn promise for a while that if I said in my head 'I can't' I would do it anyway, especially with small stupid things, just to prove it, and they really did start building more and more confidence in seeing through the illusions of depression.

Then, the key to getting through my depressed times wasn't 'defeating' it, but just moving past it, I had the ability to follow through on the impulse just to go for a walk, or to read, or learn something new, instead of falling back on weak habits, which are the end of positive feelings.

Then, even though nothing was directly solved, that walk or that book might spark an idea I would follow through on, or wake up some inspiration that would get me writing again. Or just talking to someone and getting outside of myself.

Also, personally, I find it's very difficult to remain negative when some good Bob Marley is on.

I'm kidding, but I'm serious- Try the Talkin' Blues album!

Don't stare at the blank page when it's driving you crazy, what's going to end up on it is in you and bound to come out when you wake your self back up.

Follow what you love, even when you don't like it...

Posts: 15 | From New York, NY | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Also, personally, I find it's very difficult to remain negative when some good Bob Marley is on.

I totally agree!!

Sorry you're feeling sad, merry. I hope your spirits have been lifted some.

I know that for me this time of year can be a little difficult, what with the kids going back to school and me having to be the one to get everything in order behind the scenes. It's a stressful time.

Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry, honey. I wish I could say something to lift you up but you know I'm right there down in the dumps with you. What I do know is that we will get through this, and that this too will pass.

Come visit me. We can do something fun. The pool is heated and we can sit in the hottub with the cool night air. We can just relax. Enjoy your party and then plan a visit. Sometimes a change of scenery is helpful.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Merrygirl... I am so sorry for "dropping" the conversation!! Sheesh! [bonk] I guess the thread dropped down and I didn't see it. I have a bad habit of not scrolling down sometimes!!

While I was at home one spring off work for several months, I found an ad for a beading class to be held in June. I thought then I was not likely to be able to continue teaching due to the horrible IC.

So I signed up... and the rest is history. By fall I was selling necklaces and earrings by word of mouth. I can't remember when I was finally able to do a craft fair. Might have been months... not sure. That was in '94.

Then about a year later the angel pin craze began. I began making angels, bracelets, all kinds of jewelry. Just tons of it!

Of course, it caused me pain since I also had "FM"... but I just kept making them. I loved the creative outlet. Teaching is a very creative profession...or at least it should be!... so it was great to have that going.

I live in a place where there are at least 100 theatres and more than several hundred gift shops, lots of craft malls, etc. I've done it all. Right now I only have some angel pins in one theatre. I'm having trouble getting supplies.. since the craze is long gone and so are the supplies.

Anyway, I have a similar problem as you, merry.. I don't have an etsy account because I didn't have a good camera. I just bought one last month, so I think I'm going to try opening an account there.

I also found a few other sites I want to check on first. I'll post them here later so you can check them out too!!

Carol.. I like the gingerbread man idea and the Santa too! And merry.. I like the card garland idea as well!!

Keep the ideas coming!

I did take a small jewelry making class about 3-4 months ago and learned how to make one of those "floating" bead necklaces and a new style of earring to match. I hope to make some of those for Christmas presents. Gotta get busy on that!!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amelia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amelia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Merrygirl: I am thinking of you too. I pray that your depression lifts and that the encouragement you find here will help sustain you at this time. We are all here and in this together.

[group hug]

Posts: 243 | From Charleston, SC | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I miss you,sweet person,you!!

[hi] [group hug]

Hope to 'see' you back on Lyme Chat soon!!!

Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Morning you Beautiful Thing!

[group hug]

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Merry.

Sending you prayers of love and hope for you.

It's okay to be down in the dumps.

Hang on.

Know you are loved and valued.

Have someone take you out for your birthday.

It may make you feel better just to get out.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a really fun and easy craft that can even be done in bed,

at craft stores they have clear plastic ornaments that you can pour craft paint into,
(I think you use craft paint, I haven't done it for a while , but the staff at the craft store should be able to help you)

so you pour the craft paint in, you can pour a couple of colours, add glittery colours, Christmas colors, etc

close the ornaments, so the paint doesn't spill,

then swish the ornament around so the paint coats the entire inside of the clear plastic ornament,

then when the paint dries you can tie a fancy ribbon, or pipe cleaner, or something like that
through the small opening on the top, so that it is easy to hang on a Christmas tree,

I did this craft as a Sunday School thing with a bunch of kids, they were thrilled,

I also did this at a Mom's group too,

everyone loves them! they are very pretty on a tree, so they could be sold at a craft fair,

another thing that could be done in bed
that is very easy to do is

tracing beautiful snowflakes onto styrofoam plates,

make them as intricate as possible,

I don't know where to get a pattern from, but I am sure there might be some way,

I was given a couple patterns at a Mom's group,
(the church had made hundreds and hundreds for their Christmas celebration and hung them in the sanctuary with fishing line)

then use an exacto knife to cut out the snowflake,

be careful,

then coat the snowflake with craft glue,

then apply clear glitter,

I made hundreds of these and hung them with fishing line in my windows,

they were glorious,

if you need further instructions, feel free to PM me,

I think these could be sold too,

hope you are feeling better!, keep writing on this forum, it is so important to so many people, just hearing how you have struggled has helped me so much this past week,

don't under estimate how important it is to the rest of us,

when we hear about your ups and downs, what works and what isn't , it is providing us a link to eachother, as if we are all holding hands or holding eachother through this,

if we didn't have this, we would feel so alone,
because friends and family don't always get it or get tired of us,

if I didn't have this forum, I think I would be depressed and discouraged, I feel so much more courage now because of everyone here

I will pray for you and even though I don't know your name, I believe God knows exactly who I am talking about, (and I don't know if it is against the rules to say that I am praying , so I am sorry in advance, I don't mean to offend anyone)

Posts: 606 | From somewhere out there | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have a friend who makes the most wonderful soaps. she says it's really easy and doesn't take any time at all.

she also makes candles and decorates them.

i wish there was something i could do for you. i'm going to be gone for 3 weeks.

when i get down tho, i get out the ole romance books and escape to the bathroom!!

hmmm.....

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi merrygirl,

You are a real blessing to all of us here on lymenet.

You have helped many people.

I will pray that you are guided out of this depression and back on course with treatment.

Lord, please hold merrygirl in the palm of your hand and give her comfort.

Lord, please heal her from this depression and show her the way to peace.

Please guide her to continue her treatment with renewed faith.

Lord, please let merrygirl feel the love and compassion of her friends and family which will give her strength.

I pray this in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

[group hug] [group hug] [group hug] [group hug] [group hug]

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Got Lyme?
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Got Lyme?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take plenty of vitamin D3 daily! Depression is the hardest thing for me with this disease. D3 helps! Get some sunshine too!
When I was at the same point as you are now, I couldn't even think to decide what to do so I made puzzles.
Some days I could only work on it a short time but it will make you feel that you did accomplish something.
I finally moved on from the puzzles and started simple hand stitching.
As I recovered more and got more ambition back I was finally able to sit at the sewing machine and started off with some simple quilting.
When I was really sick, I couln't even think about doing anything that I enjoyed but I would think of how much I missed doing the things I enjoyed.
Start slow and simple and as your recovery starts your brain will be ready for more also.
Hope this helps!

--------------------
Margaret

Posts: 103 | From CT | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Merry... some info on other sites:

Jewelry Wonder www.jewelrywonder.com

Sellers must have 30 items to open a free online store. No setup fee, monthly or transaction fees, or listing or hosting fees. Sellers set their own prices, so the sky's the limit.

Art Fire www.artfire.com

Sellers can choose either a basic free account that includes unlimited listings with four pictures per item plus the ability to sell directly from your blog or website, or a Pro account for $15.95 per month with 10 pictures per item plus a customizable "store" and promo features. No transaction fees, so you keep what you make. There is free online training in merchandising and marketing.

Etsy www.etsy.com

You get your own online store to showcase your items. It's free to become an Etsy seller, but you'll pay a fee of $.20 to list an item with up to 5 photos for 4 months. When the item sells, you pay a 3.5% commission to Etsy. There's no limit to how much you can charge, and what you earn is based on how well your crafts sell.

Hope this helps someone!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

merry... did you see this?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement