LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Daughter's going hiking for a week with school....kill me now!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Daughter's going hiking for a week with school....kill me now!
jenn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 11yr old daughter's school is going away Upstate NY to a wooded campground for a week. She is currently on abx for Lyme and really wants to go.

I am having a stroke!! Don't want her to go...fearing another bite. She said she'll be careful to check herself, and not rub up against leafy bushes and leaves...but If anyone knows kids, they just "yes" us to death to shut us up!

can someone please remind me of any remedies that have worked to prevent another bite.
sprays,lotions or any advice for camping out in the woods.

Posts: 501 | From Hudson Ticky Valley, NY | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son just went on a retreat with his school, but it was just overnight and I just about had a heart attack. A week in tick country is a long time.

We sprayed his clothes and sleeping bag with Permanone, which kills the ticks, but you can't spray it on the skin.

I think I read on another thread that Dr. Jones recommends Avon Skin So Soft for the skin. My son used that as well. We gave the can to a teacher to make sure he used it. He wouldn't have because he is in remission now, and in denial about being bitten again.

It's up to you, but a whole week in that part of the country - I might have to say no to that, especially if she's still in tx.

Take care and God bless.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
jenn,

Well, if she is on abx, wouldn't that protect her? What's her LLMD say about this, any suggestions offered?

If your LLMD suggests that she not go, they heat would be off you. Or the LLMD might have the very best tick repellant suggestion.

Aside from some ticks, nature is incredibly healing in so many ways. I would have been devastated to be prevented from a trip to the woods when at that age. I cherished all the summer camps. Best time of my life.

I got more ticks in my back yard than I did at camp.

We have to learn how to enjoy nature and still take care of ourselves. It is possible. But, yikes, still such an internal tug of war with all things to consider.

Good luck.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about having her, and her friends, well covered with tick repellent?

I like Orange Guard - from oranges, nontoxic to us, deters and kills bugs. Put a little in a spray bottle, fill with water, and spray on clothing. immediate ground area and can be rubbed/misted on dog/cat fur. Other stuff for skin.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jenn,

I know it's hard to say no to our children, but in this instance, I would definitely say NO.

Not so much because of the wooded area, although that is a concern, but because when you are in treatment you don't need to get overly tired.

We have camped twice now while my daughter has been in treatment. It has been with several other families who had teens also, and my daughter does not get the rest she needs.

We always have good intentions of making her eat right, take her meds on time, and get in bed at a decent hour. It never happens.

Both times we have done this she has been so sick by the time we get home. We have already told her that we are not taking any more camping trips until she is completely well.

Keep in mind that we were actually with our daughter during these trips, I can't imagine how much worse it would be if you let her go off without you!

She might tell you that she will take her meds and get the proper rest, but will she REALLY??

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickalert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickalert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say no if my girls wanted to go on a camping trip.

Bite Barrier is some thing I've used in the past and is non toxic.

Even though my girls are teens I still couldn't count on them to put the spray on properly and protect them selves.

Posts: 911 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cstar
Member # 28698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had Lymes for 15 years; actually, I've contracted it on 3 different occasions. That doesn't stop me from going into the woods.

I love the outdoors (Camping, hiking, birdwatching). Don't let Lymes deter you from enjoying the things that make us human.

Posts: 14 | From North East | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The poster that mentioned the rest aspect of the trip is right.

My son, who is in remission, came home from one night out and was completely exhausted. A whole week might be really hard on her system.

Keebler had a good point about the abx and asking the llmd. Maybe he would know better than anyone.

I agree with those who believe we should try not to let our illness hinder us too much. Obviously, many of us are outdoor people and hate to give it up.

I know I have, and treasure my time in the outdoors before getting sick.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We didn't let our daughter go to summer camp this summer.

She has Lyme. She was disappointed but didn't make a big fuss. She knew she was too sick to handle it. She is 15.

She is excited to try summer camps in the city instead.

We did go to a cottage this summer but we didn't go hiking. We were either in the cottage or down at the water. We only stayed on the wood deck and stairs leading down to the water. WE constantly checked for ticks.

Sending kids out in the woods , to me, is the equivalent of sending them alone into an African wilderness with Lions, Snakes, and all sorts of dangers.

Why risk it?

That's just me and how I feel now. I am so very ill with Lyme too. I would never want my daughter to get as sick as I am.

--------------------
I am not a doctor. I have no clue.

Posts: 606 | From somewhere out there | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John S
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since there is more than one disease transmitted by ticks, antibiotics alone is not an adequate defense.
Posts: 743 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDW005
Member # 22706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDW005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jenn,

I took myself and my grandsons to the mountains over the weekend. We had alot of fun, but at the same time I was constantly on guard.

It was a big fear I had to get through. That night I felt like I had ticks crawling all over me and would jump up and take a look.

We have to keep living and enjoy life. The mountains are one of my favorite places to be and it has taken me since 2008 to go back to my cottage in the woods.

I say let her go. Don't make our fears theres.

--------------------
God's promises mean you always have something wonderful to look forward to.

Posts: 2150 | From Georgia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Remember to Smile
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Jenn,
The risk of exhaustion may be the greatest threat to a young person in tx for LD.

The healing power of nature falls away when fatigue becomes pain & exhaustion with peer pressure giggling & screaming into the night, then again too early in the morn...

Ideas:
* Could you and/or an aunt or uncle take your daughter up to the campground for a day? Or maybe twice during the week-long class trip? That way, she'd be part of some of the fun and at least could say, "Yeah, I was there!"

* Could you share Lyme awareness info with the teachers and ALL parents via a small packet of a couple brochures sent home ASAP? I'm thinking of the ILADS's "What every Primary Care Physician should Know" and LDA's (great!) ABC's brochure. LDA will mail copies to you for free.

Wishing us all safety & peace as we enjoy the colors of autumn...
Hugs,
Smile

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John S:
Since there is more than one disease transmitted by ticks, antibiotics alone is not an adequate defense.

My thoughts exactly.

No wonder so many in the NE get Lymed. They send their kids on week long school camping trips. I don't know of any other areas of the country where that happens. (anybody?)

You would think that the school's liability on such a long trip would be something the school district would think twice about.

I hope you make a decision you can live with. I'd hate to be in your position right now!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Remember to Smile:

Ideas:
* Could you and/or an aunt or uncle take your daughter up to the campground for a day? Or maybe twice during the week-long class trip? That way, she'd be part of some of the fun and at least could say, "Yeah, I was there!"

* Could you share Lyme awareness info with the teachers and ALL parents via a small packet of a couple brochures sent home ASAP? I'm thinking of the ILADS's "What every Primary Care Physician should Know" and LDA's (great!) ABC's brochure. LDA will mail copies to you for free.

Good ideas!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone!!

I've taken into consideration all that was shared here. My daughter and I had a heart to heart talk, she says that she'd like to go, but doesn't think she can keep up with all the excitement and not having time to rest!

So She's Staying Home!! YAY!! WOO-HOO!!

Told her I'd take her shopping!! That's my kind of wilderness vacation!!

Thanks all, I needed to hear from you!
((Hugs))
[group hug]

Posts: 501 | From Hudson Ticky Valley, NY | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so relieved to hear this.

She will have great memories forever which she will probably treasure more anyways.

Parents have a huge impact on kids and we only get one shot at it while they are young and impressionable.

Going to camp was always rather traumatic for me because the girls were always very mean and the boys were bullies! Very bad memories.

Spending one-on-one time with either of my parents always made me feel so loved and special.

Sounds like you have a awesome daughter and so wonderful for you to plan something special for her.

You will be blessed.

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
I am not a doctor. I have no clue.

Posts: 606 | From somewhere out there | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

YEA!!! I'm relieved too!! Make it a special day. Find a photo booth and take photos, have your nails done together, etc.

(Buy me some clothes!! hehehee..) It could be an annual thing!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

linky123
Member # 19974

So glad you are off the hook. Have a great day at the mall!!!!

--------------------

2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome......

One Wilderness Vacation Shopping spree coming up.

If you find yourself heading into the city, you might see department windows dressing up for a winter wonderland.

Maybe even take in a show.

I love a good train ride.

I love the nail and photo booth idea Tutu.

Like missing said, that time together is sooo precious. It may come again later, but it will never look like it does today.

Hugs,

Greta
[woohoo]

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Remember to Smile
Unregistered

Icon 7 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jenn:
I've taken into consideration all that was shared here. My daughter and I had a heart to heart talk, she says that she'd like to go, but doesn't think she can keep up with all the excitement and not having time to rest!

So She's Staying Home!

Sounds like a happy tale of a smart mother raising a wise daughter...

May you continue to be blessed.
Smile

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThatColorGreen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThatColorGreen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yayyyy!!!!!!!! How FANTASTIC!!!! I can only IMAGINE the weight off of your chest!!!!

...we all had so much fun camping all those (many many many) times...

but had i known what would come of it, I'd choose shopping with my mom in a millisecond!

...or a trip to disney [Big Grin]

Congratulations!!
...wish I could give your daughter a high five!

--------------------
...trying to be the coffee bean, not the egg.

Posts: 420 | From East Coast | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement