LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Do you still remember your oldself?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do you still remember your oldself?
feelbetter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelbetter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always recall the good time prior to being sick before going to bed every night.

I have lots of great pictures and memory in my mind, such as dating with my husband,went somewhere to treavel,etc...something like that,it makes me smile ..

And that's the faith and reason make me keep going.

Posts: 158 | From pittsburgh | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misfit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Misfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do I still remember my old self? In a word...no. I have issues other than Lyme that altered my life drastically, and so it's been a very very long time since I was "me".

Whatever I am today, is what I am. I DO imagine myself healthy, and enjoying all that life has to offer again, though. And if that never happens, well...I had my fantasy.

Posts: 624 | From Oklahoma | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still me. I've had to learn and experience things I never wanted. I know that these things have helped me grow as a person too. Some of my hopes and dreams have changed but not most. There's still so much I want to do and see when I'm better.

It helps to have good memories to look back on when I'm feeling bad. Give me something more to look forward to in the future.

Memories also remind me that life wasn't perfect or easy before Lyme either. My struggles were different but they were very real to me at the time.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rerae
Member # 28438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rerae     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been sick since I was 8, so I really don't remember what it's like to be "healthy." I've just always been how I am, although sometimes I'm worse than others.

--------------------
*~*Rerae*~*
Bitten 3/98, Diagnosed 9/04
Treated 3 weeks, then pushed aside.
Need good doc to pick back up.

Posts: 25 | From Erie, PA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThatColorGreen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThatColorGreen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rerae, I am like you. I started seeing doctors are 7 or 8.. am now 25.

I actually remember how incrediblly sharp my mind was... it's very frustrating that I feel I may never get that back.

Since my picc line and other antimicrobials and supplements, I have been blessed enough to have the clouds slit open for a while so the sun can shine in on my brain.

The entire month of may was FANTASTIC!!

Now, in November, I am relapsing from Babesia..

... i think those windows of 'normal' feelings remind me of what life can be like... and its both a wonderful feeling and frustrating as all He11.

There is hope within the clouds...

--------------------
...trying to be the coffee bean, not the egg.

Posts: 420 | From East Coast | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlebit27
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 24477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlebit27   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes-I didn't have to suffer pain everyday of my life. I could work until 11pm and get back up and go back to work at 5am, in a labor job-we paint houses.

There is no way I could do that now. By 9pm I am out. and if we are home I take naps....

I can't wait to be the person I was before...I may still be in there but this has changed my life course forever.

--------------------
*Brittany Lyme Aware on FB*
http://littlebithaslyme.wordpress.com/

Posts: 2310 | From Southeast | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bashibazouks
Member # 28286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bashibazouks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not me, I grew up with Lyme and never knew my symptoms were anything but normal. It's killing me to think I might be a completely different person (smarter? more energetic? more fun & adventurous? prettier?) if I hadn't gotten this disease.

--------------------
Currently infected with Lyme, Babesia, Ehrlichiosis, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Mycoplasma, & Q-fever.

10 months into treatment, currently on Bicillin, Rocephin, Doxy, Biaxin, and Mepron.

Posts: 87 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh you mean before lyme? silly me, i thought you meant before i was married.....

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Florence1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Florence1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i rember the old me and it makes me sad to think how my life has changed.....what hopes we had emigrating here.....now its all a mess......i hope and think i will be that person again.......imagine i will be fit and healthy enjoy life with my kids and husband but right now i remember me but am not me........

--------------------
Oct 09 Positive CDC Western Blot
Jan 10 Positive Babesia Duncani
Jan 10 Cd57 28
Mar 10 EBV, IgM, IgG
HHV-6 IgG

Posts: 739 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minerva
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minerva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i so wish i did. i can remember what i did and what i could manage but the most difficult part is i can't remember my real self the part that matters.
i can't connect to the joy the spiritual or fun part of myself its as if she is just vanished.

i know that this could deepen my journey on a soul level ....wisdom perspective and the like, but i my life is so muted, fogged in that places i could go before when things were tuff i can't get to if that makes sense.

i also think its difficult to see ones self while being isolated. i no longer can see the lighter brighter side of me when i am alone all the time. i really understand how the elderly or anyone who is alone too much loses not only their self but there humanity.

i try to keep telling myself that when i am well again the relationships will come back and my true self will emerge again...a healing of the whole "eco-system" that was me. unfortunatly, i don't really believe this but i hope its true.

Posts: 161 | From sonoma county | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it has been 23 years of constant pain.

I do not remember what it is like to be pain free.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDW005
Member # 22706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDW005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I recall no pain unless I stubbed a toe around the corner wall.
I tell you, I think it was easier to have three daughters without an epidural and no pain killers, than the pain I go through day in and out.
I also find it easier to pretend than it is to explain to someone how I feel.

I try very hard to go on with my life and enjoy it to the best of my abilty and smile, because I do not know how long this disease will hang on and I truly don't know if it will get worse. So I look at it for a day and worry about tomorrow when it gets here.

--------------------
God's promises mean you always have something wonderful to look forward to.

Posts: 2150 | From Georgia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
betty1939
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for betty1939     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I caught a glimpse of myself on thanksgiving eve when I went to Walmart.

I'm not sure why being in Walmart triggered it, because I go quite often. However, this time when I went it was to get stuff for thanksgiving dinner.

I felt so carefree and actually didn't feel too bad for a change. I drank a couple of glasses of merlot while my husband and I cooked our sides to take to his mom's house.

That's the way it used to be - I didn't have to worry about what I ate, whether I drank or not, or having to be careful with money because I needed to save it for my lyme treatment.

That glimpse of myself was worth a million. I felt very hopeful for the first time in a long time.

--------------------
Lyme IGG/IGM positive 12/08
Babesia Microti IGM positive 12/08
Hemobartonella positive 1/11
mycoplasma 6/11

Posts: 162 | From Ohio | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fuel1212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fuel1212     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES,I grew up pretty much doing whatever I put my mind to. Run 5 miles a day, play college baseball, etc. Not only did I have the will mentally, but physically I could push myself to limits even I could not believe. Eating and drinking without a care in the world. Sleeping...OH sleeping how I miss you so.

The past couple years or so remind me of a young boy (me) looking outside the window of life watching the world go by as I get older and sicker. While dr's tell me I am fine just take this SSRI.

Watching my newborn son laugh, then crawl, and now walk/run and praying with everything I have that first off I will live to see him grow up, and then Lord willing give me the energy to be the Father he deserves.

--------------------
IgM- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgM- 41+

IgG- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgG- 41++

Posts: 610 | From Lymeville | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, absolutely, and I try to do what I used to do, in a modified way. Like I liked to travel, so now I might watch a travel film, etc.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme in Putnam
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I remember is I loved people,there were never enough hours in the day, felt the love and obligation of family. I do what I have to to get by, this rips out your soul. I was happy with me, not over ecstatic, but was happy with my life, husband, son, where we live...things can change in the course of a second. What I wouldn't do to have me back again, organized, fun, pain In the butt, but that's what made me me. Don't know where I went but I long for her back. Hope everyone gets to see the light. We deserve it for fighting this nonsense for so long and losing so much of what life has to offer.

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fatherguido
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25266

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fatherguido     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of my winter home improvement projects were put on hold a year ago and I am finally to the point of resuming them. I set and reset goals for myself and this is my latest task.

A lot of lifestyle changes had to be made like most of us do anyway. I really miss beer. I am not 100% but each month gets slightly better.

Posts: 199 | From Let's Go Pens! | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I remember feeling "normal."... I can't wait to feel that way again.
And fatherguido-- I know what you mean about beer. I'm not a beer drinker, but I love wine. One of the things that my husband and I love to do together is have a couple of glasses of wine and cook a great meal or stop at one of our local wineries and have a glass and a cheese platter. How I miss those days! [Frown]

--------------------
"The simple things can get you through the hardest times."  -

Posts: 628 | From Connecticut | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Icon 6 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randibear's post cracked me up.

Hey, the beer and wine will flow again.

I've packed alot of living into the years that I was well.

I look back at them with amazement and the memories keep me going.

Also it's been over 3 years since I've taken antibiotics and am doing better.

Not 100 percent but definitely better.

Hang in there gang!

[hi]

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6138 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4Seasons
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4Seasons     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was 23 then and now I'm 52 - but yes, I do remember some of the adventures I had in my life.

I used to desperately want a "window" of no or less pain before I got "old".

Most days I am thankful for who I am and how I got to be here. Adversity pushes us to grow into amazing people. That said, I think I've grown quite enough, thank you, and would like to get a few more adventures in before I get really old!

--------------------
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Anonymous

Posts: 450 | From California | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turtle1977
Member # 26979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Turtle1977     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do remember and really would like to experience even just a smidgen of what I used to enjoy. I used to love riding horses, motocross racing, ice skating, just about anything physical. I even helped re-roof our house when I was 7 mos. pregnant with our second child, carrying bundles of shingles up and down a ladder. I have trouble now even hauling my hiney down to the mailbox to get the mail.
Posts: 39 | From Alabama | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cjfrank
Member # 26985

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cjfrank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I remember my old self. I long to be there again.

I have moments when I feel right but they don't last very long.

I am feeling better than I was but I am not who I used to be.

I worry that Lyme has changed me so much that I may never get back to who I really am so I am trying real hard to accept me as I am now.

--------------------
cjfrank

IGG Western Blot - negative
IGG Bands Detected - p18
IGM Western Blot - positive
IGM Bands Detected - p23, p41

Posts: 49 | From Maine | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement