LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » I cheated, and had a PIZZA!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I cheated, and had a PIZZA!
richedie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I shouldn't have done this but living like a monk gets old after a while so I finally hit a wall last night and snapped.

I ended up eating an entire large 100% whole wheat pizza from Peace a Pizza and enjoyed it. I felt like I had to get that out of my system. It's the first pizza I have had in three months.

So far, no changes in how I feel, but my feet and legs actually feel good today.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Doxy/Biaxin/Flagyl pulse.
Artemisinin with Doxy/Biaxin.
Period of Levaquin and Ceftin.
Then Levaquin, Bactrim and Biaxin.
Bactrim/Augmentin/Rifampin.
Mepron/Biaxin/Artemisinin/Cat's Claw
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
renny1985
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for renny1985     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes you just have to live a little!!!
Posts: 341 | From NY/FL | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Glad you enjoyed it. Flavor is so important and it's possible to have that in a variety of forms.

So that you can enjoy that flavor more often, you might isolate your favorite ingredients and seasonings and create your signature pasta sauce.

The very best tomato paste that I've found:

www.bionaturae.com/tomato.html

And, hey, I see that they now make "No Rinse" gluten free pasta.

http://www.bionaturae.com/gluten.html

====================

Tinkyada makes so many different kind of gluten-free pastas that are excellent:

http://www.tinkyada.com/

Trader Joe's also has a GF, brown rice Penne pasta.

====================

You can also serve any pasta sauce over spaghetti squash, eggplant, zucchini, etc. I have not found a satisfactory gluten-free pizza crust but there are some on the market. I find them too high on the glycemic index and they just don't seem to cook up very well. So, pasta sauce on other things takes care of my pizza cravings.

You can call the pizza place and just ask them what herbs and spices they use on your favorite pizza (my guess is that they might also include MSG in some way. So, you can omit that).

Then, find those fresh garden herbs in your produce department. Fresh oregano really makes any pasta dish sing. Dried herbs are not generally as good but as the produce manager at your market for advice.

Chili powders can vary, so ask your grocery to let you sample different ones. Some are not hot at all but add a lot of savory flavor. Some will send steam out of your ears. It just takes a little work to find that special one.

As for cheese, I don't even miss it but you could add a bit just before serving. Even a little will still impart the texture and flavor and by adding a little grated cheese as it's ready to serve, it will hold its integrity and not get lost.

Or you can drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil just before serving for an added depth of flavor.

By designing your own recipe, this could be enjoyed often. Your heart will love you for it.
-

[ 12-04-2010, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I appreciate it Keebler and I have tried those methods, but still nothing beats the great pizza exxperience for me, it's everything not just the sause and cheese. I even tried making potato pizza where I use sliced whole potatoes instead of a crust and add sause and toppings. It's good but not reall pizza good, LOL.

I am not big on eating aany flour products but this whole wheat pizza was a cheat day I won't see again for another three months or so. Only flour I use is almond flour. Even Dr. B says no flour at all. It is too processed.

Wish I could find sprouted grain pizza crust. I don't think gluten has much effect on me. Maybe a slight immune response but nothing I notice with symptoms.

Once I am through this disease I will go back to eating gluten without care, but of course it will be things like sprouted wheat, etc.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Doxy/Biaxin/Flagyl pulse.
Artemisinin with Doxy/Biaxin.
Period of Levaquin and Ceftin.
Then Levaquin, Bactrim and Biaxin.
Bactrim/Augmentin/Rifampin.
Mepron/Biaxin/Artemisinin/Cat's Claw
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Food for Life Ezekiel bread - you could make pizza crust from a tortilla or an English Muffin:

http://www.foodforlife.com/product-catalog/sprouted-grain/ezekiel-49/whole-grain-flourless-tortillas

Whole Grain Flourless Tortillas

INGREDIENTS: Organic Sprouted Whole Wheat, Filtered Water, Organic Unhulled Sesame Seeds, Organic Sprouted Whole Soybeans, Organic Sprouted Whole Barley, Organic Sprouted Whole Millet, Organic Sprouted Whole Lentils, Organic Sprouted Whole Spelt, Sea Salt.

===========

GLUTEN-FREE selections:

http://www.foodforlife.com/product-catalog/gluten-free-wheat-free-breads/gluten-free/whole-grain-brown-rice-tortillas

Brown Rice Tortillas

INGREDIENTS: Whole Grain Brown Rice Flour, Filtered Water, Tapioca Flour, Safflower Oil, Rice Bran, Vegetable Gum (xanthan, cellulouse), Sea Salt.

[Keebler's note: I have to say that these are only good if warmed up. If cold, they will tear out your teeth. Seriously. And I really don't think these would make a very good pizza base. However, toasted and used as with a pizza dipping sauce, they may work.]

========

http://www.foodforlife.com/product-catalog/gluten-free-wheat-free-breads/gluten-free/wheat-and-gluten-free-brown-rice-english

Gluten Free English Muffins

INGREDIENTS: Organic Brown Rice Flour, Filtered Water, Organic Tapioca Flour, Potato Starch, Fresh Yeast, Sea Salt, Vegetable Gum (Xanthan, Cellulose).
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Hey, rather than call it cheating . . . if you plan for this every so often, call it a rare treat. As long as we think in terms of "diet" or crash off and "cheat" - it's going to be hard to come to terms with a nutrition plan that will work for you all life long.

Of course, for those with genetic celiac, gluten still can't be on the menu as it can take up to six months for the brain to recover from even a trace - but there are so many other choices.

For those who are not true celiac, some can manage gluten now and then but some can't. Maybe after lyme clears and leaky gut is healed, they can go back to selective choices.

For me, even a trace of gluten can trigger seizures up to tree days afterward. My brain is more affected than my gut. I've learned to never trust anyone's memory at any potluck.

Still, MSG is a huge problem to remember when we "go off menu" - that can cause damage for days afterward, too. Google for all the names MGS hides under and call your food outlets to know exactly what is in the foods they serve even if only a rare treat.

MSG can set up back months.
-

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I make little "pizzas" for lunch regularly with the Ezekiel tortillas. Not just like a pizza, but I like them. I use olive oil, garlic, leeks, onions, sundried tomatoes, and pepper jack cheese. Then I top it with basil, oregano, and red peppers.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
moving to general support

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richie,

Really glad you enjoyed the pizza. Some things are just good for the soul. When I used to cheat with pizza, I would use lots of garlic and hot peppers, both antifungal.

Also the next time you "cheat" it would be a perfect time to take the Parastroy. Too much restriction is not always the answer.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was doing a nonyeast diet, the supervising doc said I could cheat once in a while. So, my advice: enjoy it!
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it is so terrible to have pizza every few months.

I was recently traveling and had a GF pizza that used sausage as the crust. I did not miss the crust at all. If you eat meat, that might work for you.

Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cheat weekly, on Friday's, and have Pizza with the family.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThatColorGreen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThatColorGreen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OoOOOOooOOO YUUMMMM!!!
Pizza is definitely one of my personal favorites [Wink]

...i think it's funny how so many of us feel 'guilty' when we eat something sugary/high carb/non-gluten-free

I indeed agree that you surely just need to eat a pizza sometimes!! [Smile]

--------------------
...trying to be the coffee bean, not the egg.

Posts: 420 | From East Coast | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement