LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Best alternative to milk...???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best alternative to milk...???
suz9601
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for suz9601   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am allergic to almonds so I can't use almond milk. I have done some research and it seems there are mixed opinions on soy...what do those of you that don't use almond milk use? Thanks for any info.
Posts: 146 | From Midwest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5vforest
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5vforest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rice milk.

Water.

Posts: 340 | From san francisco, ca | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Are you allergic to ALL nuts? If not, you can make your own milk out of any nut. I especially like Brazil Nut Milk and a combination of Walnut and Pecan Milk.

A Blendtec or a Vitamix are the easiest blenders for nut milks but, with the softer nuts that I mentioned, other good blenders can do a fairly good job - if you have a nut milk bag to strain out the fine pieces left and can then use in soups, etc.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suz9601
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for suz9601   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler-I dont think it is all nuts, I do know it is almonds for sure because of hives I get after eating them. I have not noticed them w/o nuts. I just bought a vitamix so that is an idea to make my own.. I mainly just need the milk for my morning smoothie of fruit/veggies in the vitamix. thanks for the replies so far.
Posts: 146 | From Midwest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You might want to contact your allergist for a test first.

Even if you get an okay to proceed, start with just eating ONE NUT of one kind. Wait a couple days - to be sure that you are okay with the different variety.

You may also need to get that type of nut from a place that does not process on the same machines as they do almonds.

I just got a Blendtec and don't even have to strain the nut milk. It is a bit thicker and some settling on the bottom but, it's soft, not hard.

A Vitamix and Blendtec seem about equal in their capacity. I put my setting on whole juice - just as with vegetables such as carrots, celery and beets.

You can make up just enough to put on a bowl or oatmeal or make a quart and store in the fridge but - you may want to

Of the almonds, I assume you've tried various brands. If you broke out from a brand that was old or roasted, the hives could have been from a reaction rancid oil and not necessarily the almonds. Or if the brand you got had some sort of coating, etc.. just a thought.

While almonds work best if soaked beforehand, the softer nuts like Brazil, walnuts and pecans do not require soaking but just a quick rinse. I'm not sure about hazelnuts, though. They may.

These nut milks are delicious in tea but don't add vanilla to the milk pitcher or the tea will be strange.

=====================

Be sure to wear HEARING PROTECTION when running your Vitamix, any blender, vacuum and even a hair dryer. Ear plugs may not be enough with a Vitamix. The professional hearing protective muffs that construction and lawn care workers use is required for me to run my Blendtec. Even then, I have to back away once I'm sure the lid is on securely.

When on antibiotics, the ears can be much more easily damaged by sound - even for up to year after stopping abx.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
This is the one I got and am very pleased with it. I used just once but then realized I don't really need it.

If you want to strain out some nut or rice milk enough for tea, you can use this, though. Otherwise, I like the fuller bodied milks.

Not sure about straining rice milk. My guess is that it would not need straining. But, I'd use brown rice. Most rice milks call for white rice but that is just too high on the glycemic index unless using just a little to add to tea or Irish or Scottish Oats.
-----------

http://www.purejoyplanet.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=123

Amazing Nut-Milk Bag! (works with any nut milk)

You can view a video demonstration with a Vitamix.

============================

* http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10013119&N=&Ntt=glass+bottle

34 oz. Quattro Stagioni Bottle 1 ltr. (3-5/8" diam. x 9" h)

* http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10007345&N=&Ntt=Quadro+Refridgerator+pitcher

Glass Refrigerator Pitchers

* http://www.kitchenkaboodle.com/product_detail2.php?sku=42891%21500

Quadro Refrigerator Jugs - 37-oz.

* http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10027660&N=&Ntt=Bottle+brush

Steel Bottle Brush
-

suz9601
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6968

Thanks so much for all the info Keebler. I really appreciate it. You are such a blessing to have around here!!
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Hope this helps. I just remembered that Oat Milk is also a possibility, Coconut WATER, too. Coconut MILK can be used as a topping for dense oats, too but not so much as a beverage to drink very often as it can really pack on fat pounds. Oat Milk, too, can be too high on the glycemic index, but if used with other foods that are well balanced, in a small amount that may work.

One thing about oats, though, often wheat can be mixed in so it's important to find oats that are processed wheat-free. The Celiac sites can point to that.

As a beverage, though, lemon or lime with a dash of stevia and tiny ice cubes turn into a nice slushy.

For a creamy dark berry drink, if you find you can "do" some kind of nuts - turn a handful of nuts into a creamy drink and then add a few frozen berries and maybe some small ice cubes. It's way cool.

For a "milk" or sauce for a cold creamy soup, consider avocado, celery & cucumber, topped with fresh dill weed - or cilantro & parsley and a dash of pepper to taste.
-

beautifulblue
Member # 27220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beautifulblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to drink 2% milk, now I drink goat's milk (pasteurized). Goat's milk is easier to digest than cow's milk.

It also has anti-inflammatory properties.

"According to a spanish study printed in the March 2006 Journal of Nutrition, goat's milk gets it's anti-inflammatory properties from oligosaccharides. These sugars nourish the "good" bacteria that protects the digestive tract from harmful micro-organisms."

I have tried soy, rice and almond milk (store bought) but I didn't like the taste (probably because they add cane sugar).

But I have tried coconut water (store bought) and it was okay.

[ 01-13-2011, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: beautifulblue ]

--------------------
"Everything Will Be Okay In The End. If It's Not Okay, It's Not The End."

Posts: 28 | From canada | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
For others reading who may want to buy Almond milk, Rice Milk, etc. beautifulblue brought up an an important point:

GET UNSWEETENED. Many brands contain cane juice or brown rice syrup but no milk needs to have any sugar in it. You can always add a bit of stevia (from a plant source) and add cocoa or carob for a dessert drink.

Otherwise, our brains do best by not associating a sweet taste with milk. I think that trend has been a horrible one and very detrimental to health for those who think they are drinking something healthful when, with the addition of sugar, it is the opposite.
-

beautifulblue
Member # 27220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beautifulblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, natural ingredients is the way to go!

The soy milk I tried was called So Good. I just looked up the ingredients, and the chocolate kind had cane sugar, fructose, and corn syrup solids etc... (not so good)!

What I've read about soy isn't so good either.

I was just thinking back, and realized that the rice and almond milk I tried were both natural.

The rice milk was called Ryza (vanilla) and the almond milk was called Silk (I think, not 100% sure on that).

But I didn't like the taste.

The coconut water I tried was called O.N.E.

I just read that excessive amounts of coconut water can be dangerous because of the extremely high levels of potassium.

It could be potentially dangerous to people with weak kidneys.

If your kidney's don't function very well, excessive amounts could lead to kidney failure or a heart attack.

Other than that, I've read alot of good things about coconut water.

Think I will try coconut milk, when I get a juicer.

[ 01-15-2011, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: beautifulblue ]

--------------------

Posts: 28 | From canada | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
beautifulblue,

I don't think any juicer will make coconut milk. The coconut meat is just so hard and bouncy.

Most juicers can not make nut milk, either. I had three juicers and could barely get them to make cabbage juice.

You will have to check first. One style of Huron Juicer will make nut milk and one style of the Jack LaLanne, by not others models of that line.

Some high powered blenders might but I would not chance it with mine. But I also don't have the strength to break apart a coconut.

Coconut milk is more of an extraction process where a ton of weight (so to speak) presses and grinds the coconut meat.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
There is absolutely nothing in the world that could make me want to do this, even if I had the physical strength to fracture a coconut.

But, if you do, be sure to wear * eye goggles * wrist braces and�* hearing protection, as hitting a coconut with a hatchet can damage ears. Really. Ear muffs rated to 29 dB are better than plugs for this sort of thing.

While it's best to avoid canned foods, for coconut milk, since we can't consume large amounts and still fit into our clothes, anyway - the occasional can is probably okay. And some manufacturers are now putting in in a refrigerated carton (but it may contain more than just the coconut milk that comes in cans).
-------------------------

http://thenaughtyvegan.com/coconutmilk.htm

How to Make Fresh Raw Coconut Milk!

Page 1 - with a Vitamix

* http://thenaughtyvegan.com/how-to-make-fresh-coconut-milk-2.htm

Page 2 - with a Green Star juicer
-

beautifulblue
Member # 27220

Keebler,

Thank you for letting me know, and for the links!

I was thinking of getting the Omega Vert HD350 Vertical Slow Juicer because of the lower rpm's.

Think I'll try making coconut milk sometime down the road.

That recipe for the cold soup sounds good - looking forward to trying that one!

[ 01-15-2011, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: beautifulblue ]

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Well, that certainly looks like a good one. I could not find that it does nut milk, though, so be sure if that's what you want.

Blendtec or Vitamix are not juicers but will make whole vegetable Pur�e (very thick juice with pulp) - and also nut milks and nut butters. At least one model of the Huron juicer will also juice and make nut milk. Same with one model of Jack LaLanne. Check out YouTube for comparison videos.

Some of these offer refurbished or demo models at a reduced cost and some also have time payment plans. (Blendtec does, anyway.)

Whatever you choose, please protect your ears (and all ears in the kitchen or adjoining rooms).

When on antibiotics (and likely also when dealing with toxic infections that affect the ears), ears are much more susceptible to damage from lower sound levels than usual. Hearing protection, even around a hairdryer, is very important.

Plugs and muffs rated to 29 dB are vital to have on hand.
-

RubyJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RubyJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coconut milk is great in smoothies.

Don't fear the fat. The oil in coconut milk is medium-chain fatty acids.

Fat is not stored in the body from medium-chain fatty acids or short-chain fatty acids (like butter). The body stores fat as triglycerides which are made from long-chain fatty acids only.

Fat is necessary for healthy nerves, brain, and cell membranes.

Many Alzheimer patients are now being given coconut oil for it's protective and healing effects on the brain.

--------------------
"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art" - LaRochefoucauld

Lyme neuro symptoms for 20+ years.
Infected in Maryland.
Diagnosed with Lyme Jan 2011. (previously diagnosed with CFS, Fibro, peripheral neuropathy)

Posts: 261 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement