LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Questions on igenex lab

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Questions on igenex lab
j100100
Member # 30277

Icon 1 posted      Profile for j100100     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, So I dont have insurance because I quit working to go back to full time studying as a Grad student. My question is, is there any way that I could get blood work done to confirm if I do have lyme disease?

I do have some money in the bank. I could probably spend about $500 or a little more on lab testing but from what I understand they only test with Drs referrals at igenex. What is an alternative route that I could take? Could I just show up and ask them at quest for a lyme test?

Or can I just send my blood to igenex without a Dr's referral. My mom is certified to draw blood so she could easily draw blood but would I be able to send it to igenex? If not can I just get a standard test at quest?

Posts: 21 | From El Paso, Texas | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5vforest
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5vforest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need a doctor's order for any kind of blood test, even those done through Quest?

(Although there are ways around that, http://www.directlabs.com/ for instance.)

You could get a Lyme western blot through Quest or LabCorp, but they aren't nearly as accurate as IGeneX. And this is your health here, so you really don't want to mess around.

I do remember IGeneX having some kind of financial-aid form you can fill out... maybe someone else can comment more on this, or you could call them and ask.

Posts: 340 | From san francisco, ca | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A doctor needs to request bloodtests. IGeneX can send you a free testkit. They now have a discount,

something like 75% off for those who qualify as low income. www.IGeneX.com, 1-800-832-3200. You can talk to them by phone if you want.

You need to decide if you want to test for Lyme only, with the IgM and IgG Western blot antibody tests, or whether you also want to test for the co-infections - babesia, bartonella and ehrlichia.

I went ahead and tested for them all, but I had googled symptoms for all the infections and saw that I matched Lyme symptoms only,

and indeed, that's the way the tests came back, reflecting exactly what I matched in symptoms.

The test results go back to the doctor who ordered the test. It's nice if you have a doctor who knows what they're doing, but in my experience, any doctor,

even one who knows nothing about the subject, can check off the tests. They do not have to be your treating doctor. Mine did it out of sheer curiosity, not because he knew anything.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It costs around $200 for an Igenex Lyme Western Blot. That would be test #188 and 189.

Order that kit today!!

If you can't find a dr who will sign off on it... try a chiropractor.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
j100100
Member # 30277

Icon 1 posted      Profile for j100100     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have uncles in Mexico would their signature be valid?
Posts: 21 | From El Paso, Texas | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
j100100
Member # 30277

that are doctors.
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting question - I suppose you should call IGeneX and ask - 1-800-832-3200. Test results get returned to the ordering physician.

Can I say this again - any doctor can order the tests, even if they know nothing about Lyme and are not expected to do anything about it once they get the test results back.

Taking the pressure off of them like that might help you find a primary care person or chiropractor here that will do it for you.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
j100100
Member # 30277

Or should I just go with quest and take their standard test?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement