LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Have you ever read The Long Winter?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Have you ever read The Long Winter?
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
by Laura Ingalls Wilder?? I don't care how old you are, this is a good book!! I've been thinking about reading it again due to this so very long winter.

I used to teach elementary school and I would read the Laura Ingall Wilder books to the kids. I would make sure I read The Long Winter in Jan or Feb when it was at least in the 40's or 50's (usually ended up in the 70's half the time)... (in TX)

Kinda hard to relate when it's 95 out there and most of kids have never seen more than a few inches of snow .. if that!

It's amazing to imagine what winters were like back in the days of no TV and weather forecasts! Not to mention how hard it was to keep enough food on hand if the trains can't get to the towns. (IF you had a town nearby!)

Thinking back before that.. really hard to imagine.

Go read it!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even though I live in MS, I feel like I'm living "The Long Winter". I am so tired of winter. Ready for summer!

I am sure I would love to read it. I love those kinds of books.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just ordered it on Amazon.com. It will be here in 2 or 3 days.

Just so everyone knows, it was only:

Book: $6.99
Shipping $3.99
Total was $10.98

It sure as hell has been a damn long, cold, snowy winter. I can't believe it but, Boston is getting another 1-3 more inches tonight.

I'm so done with all this white stuff.

Thanks for the book idea Lymetoo!

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momindeep
Member # 7618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momindeep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Her whole series is good...I'd finish one and pick up the next one after the other.
Posts: 1512 | From Glenwood City WI | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah.. Her books are incredible. I have promised myself to go see her former home (she had several) about 1 1/2 hr drive from here. I plan to go this spring I hope!

That's great, Steve! For a good bonding time, read it to your daughter!

momindeep.. I got so very lucky when I was a kid and accidentally found the series in the library. I was about 8 or 9 and read every single one of them. No teacher ever said a word about them to me.

Fast forward to teacher training in college and our instructor was raving about the books and telling us to be sure to share them with our students.

I was like "I know those books!!" It was like a homecoming of sorts.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Steve.. after that, go to the beginning of the series .. Little House in the Big Woods.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by steve1906:
I just ordered it on Amazon.com. It will be here in 2 or 3 days.

another 1-3 more inches tonight.

yeah.. from the looks of your photos there will be no shortage of snow in your area for awhile!! [lol]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No shortage of snow here!!!

I'll look at the beginning of the series by Laura Ingalls Wilder.

If I look around the house, I may have the whole series somewhere? Who knows...

Thanks

--------------------

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

You might... ask your daughter.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved those books. I had the boxed set. I live in Minnesota and the winters do seem long, but it's always 72 degrees inside!

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

pab... yep.. it's 72 (sometimes 73) in here too! No winter inside!

I have the boxed set.. but I think it's in Texas .. in storage... ugh.

I think I'll go to the library tomorrow!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo, you're talking to the biggest LIW fan that ever lived! Guess where I dragged hubby and the boys last summer? On the LIW trail! We started in NY and drove to WI, MN, SD, KS, and MO. We had a great time! I learned a lot about Laura I didn't know.

I found out through Ancestry.com that I'm distantly related to her on her mother's side. Now that was an exciting discovery!

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

WOW!! That is so cool!!! [spinning smile]

How was the museum in MO?? That is where I want to go... been wanting to for years.. just haven't done it. I'm so close to it that it would be a sin NOT to go!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Darn.. I forgot to go to the library today.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

daisyrlb
Member # 15686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisyrlb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to go to the library! Read all of LWI book's years ago.

I've not touched them since. It's time I do.

LymeLadyInNY...a distant relative...WOW, that must have been pretty exciting to learn. The internet is an amazing tool.

I'm curious about the museum, too. How big is it...and what's in it?

Posts: 2188 | From Oklahoma | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Here's a nice site on LWI:

http://www.lauraingallswilderhome.com/

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by steve1906:
Here's a nice site on LWI:

http://www.lauraingallswilderhome.com/ [/QB]

Thanks!! I had forgotten that this is where she wrote the books! That is amazing! Now I'm all excited about going!

Was going to drag my husband, but think I'll take a friend or two instead. That would be fun!

I just checked mapquest and it's about 75 miles away!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! I'm just getting around to discussing my Laura trip.

Yes, if you like Laura, get to the Missouri museum especially. It's where she lived most of her life and where she wrote the books.

They have tons of information and artifacts in the museum next to the white house that she and Almanzo built. You can even hear a recording of her voice!

Her daughter became quite wealthy and I get the picture a bit bossy. She actually had a stone house built down the road from the white house and had her parents move into it while she, Rose, lived in the old home.

I think Laura and Almanzo moved into the stone house just to please Rose, but as soon as Rose moved away again, they moved back to the white house.

The stone house is quite modern looking. You can tour both homes.

Daisy, the museum is not that big. It's just the small museum, the white house, and the stone house. It is a very lovely setting.

You can go to the cemetery where Laura, Almanzo, and Rose are buried, also. The town of Mansfield is very small and it's not hard to find.

For all die-hard Laura fans, I recommend seeing the museum in De Smet, SD as well. This was the setting for many of her books and where she met Almanzo. You can see the cemetery where the Ingalls family is buried and even see some of the graves of some of the characters in the books.

They have a reproduction of the claim shanty built right where Pa's original shanty was built. They've tried to be historically accurate. Some of the trees that Pa planted are still there - tall and thriving.

In the town of De Smet you can see where the Ingalls family lived during the winter months. Ma and Mary lived in the home together for many years after Pa died. It is wonderful to tread in the steps of the Ingalls family and see it all come to life in front of your eyes.

The school where Laura and Carrie got into big trouble with Miss Wilder (Laura's future sister-in-law!) is still standing. You can go into the actual school where Laura was so naughty! But, she was justifiably naughty that day! You can also tour the surveyors' house where the Ingalls family lived when they first moved to De Smet.

Laura talks about the "Big Slough" in her books, and how Almanzo and Cap Garland kept getting stuck in them in "The Long Winter" when they went to get the wheat that saved the town from starving. You can still see the "Big Slough" and many other sloughs, but Silver Lake was drained many years ago. I forget now why they drained it.

Yes, believe me, it was thrilling to learn of my connection to Laura. I wish I had written it down, but I believe I'm something like 6th or 7th cousin a couple of times removed. Hardly a close relative, but, hey - close enough for me!

Laura's books are not word-for-word historically accurate. Her series is called "historical fiction". She did change scenes, stories, and names a bit to make the stories flow and be as interesting as possible. Basically, they are true with some embellishment. The books were edited by her daughter Rose, so she likely had something to do with changing things up.

I have to admit, I came away from my trip not liking Rose very much. I was surprised to learn that she and Laura's relationship was best when Rose wasn't around!

Well, I went off writing a book, because Laura is a favorite subject of mine. My dear husband and children indulged me and my lifetime dream this past summer. I can't thank them enough! After I was Lymed, I never thought I'd get there, but thanks to my LLMD I was able to go!

Take care! - Julie

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read all the books when I was a child. Then I got the boxed set for my daughter when she was growing up. They are in a box upstairs, waiting for my granddaughter to be ready to read them.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Wow.. thanks for the info, Julie! That SD site sounds WONDERFUL!! Would love to see it!! What area of SD?? I've been to SD before.. but it was a long time ago.

How much "walking across grass" will I have to do at the MO site? I'd love to see the grave-sites .. not sure I'm that brave though!

Good job, lymednva!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Steve.. did you get the book yet??

Up for lymelady --

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

steve1906
Member # 16206

I did, I gave it to my daughter. She hasn't read it yet but, she looked through it and liked it a lot.

I think I'll read it too.

--------------------

lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

Hi, Lymetoo, the SD museum is in the southeast corner of the state. There isn't a lot of grass to worry about at the museums for the most part. I would say that I had to do most of the grass walking at the tree claim museum just outside of De Smet. That's where the Ingallses lived in the summer. The graves are not far from the car paths at the cemetery.

I'm excited you are planning to see the MO museum! It really is a worthwhile trip!

- Julie

--------------------
I want to be free

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Good, Steve! I anxious to see how you guys like it!

Thanks lymelady! I'd like to go early in March. It opens March 1. I figure I may as well beat the crowds in the summer.

Were there a lot of people there at the MO museum?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

Nope, not a lot of people, and the town reflects it. Just one shabby motel that I think would have embarrassed Laura! Have a great time!

--------------------
I want to be free

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I can imagine. I won't need a motel, thank goodness! [Smile]

I have two friends willing to go with me. Cool!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

4Seasons
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4Seasons     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a treat it was to find this post tonight!

I've been reading and rereading the whole series every few years since I was about eight. What wonderful books!

Reading "The Long Winter" makes me happy to live in California, but I'm still looking forward to spring.

I picked up the boxed set when my daughter was a baby. She always loved being read to, but she didn't like that series. It was so disappointing!

I've read just about every non-fiction book around about Laura and her family and I would love to follow their trail sometime. Thanks lymeladyinny for taking us through it!

--------------------
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Anonymous

Posts: 450 | From California | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

You're welcome, 4Seasons! My mom used to make me long dresses, grandma would make me sunbonnets - all for the love of Laura!

I used to wear my winter boots in the summer because I imagined they were like high-top shoes. My brother used to pick on me a lot about it!

I read all the Laura books to my sons. They were "sort-of" interested - but not fanatical like me! [Smile]

--------------------
I want to be free

Lymetoo
Member # 743

4seasons...That's sad that your daughters didn't like them!

wow.. nylady.. You REALLY are a fan! [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have given me my next vacation idea, lymelady!
Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annxyzz
Member # 20404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annxyzz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read them as a girl, then as a mom to my daughters ( now grown ). It is funny you mention this, because I just read it to my boyfriend !
I am 55 , and about to be a grandma . My sweetheart loved it as did my daughters and ex husband ( their dad ) .
It is a fantastic story of survival and beautifully depicts the harrowing challenge of the endless storms and lack of resources a family needs. It is a joy to read with someone else .
Wilder's books instilled me with a passion for American history at a very young age . I can not imagine anyone not liking them! My mom came to visit a few years ago and ran out of reading material. I gave her TLW , then she devoured all of the others in the series in a few days . She is 73.
Everyone should read this book! Even a good story for a man , as the main characters are struggling to provide for their children in austere circumstances .

--------------------
annxyzz

Posts: 1178 | From East Texas | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Thanks for sharing.. that was awesome!! [Smile]

"Everyone should read this book! Even a good story for a man , as the main characters are struggling to provide for their children in austere circumstances ."

So true!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement