LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Mn Twins star catcher-Lyme disease

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mn Twins star catcher-Lyme disease
LymeXtu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeXtu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok,

I have been saying for a couple of months that our Minnesota Twins star catcher (Joe Mauer) who had a "viral illness" this spring and then could not seem to recover from it should be checked for Lyme especially after he also developed bilateral muscle weakness in both legs, and my family and friends rolled their eyes !!

Now it turns out this is probably the case as his grandfather said in public this weekend that he has a "touch" of Lyme disease.

I had read an article last year that stated he goes to his cabin in the woods to "get away from it all"

Maybe this will open a few people's eyes but I feel so bad about this strong young guy in his prime suffering from this.

Let's hope he gets "appropriate" treatment.

Posts: 448 | From minnesota | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope he gets better eventually.

But also I hope he can be a loud voice that helps inform the masses. He's obviously been sick for more than a month now, so that shows that he was either misdiagnosed, or the "10-28 days" of antibiotics didn't work too well for him.

Maybe he can have Dr Steere explain to him that he's not really infected, and that it's just an autoimmune response.

Or maybe they can see if he gets any better with pain killers and antidepressants ... (sarcasm)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopesAlive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopesAlive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my goodness. I hadn't heard anything about this. And what are the chances that he is receiving appropriate treatment if grandpa is talking about a "touch of Lyme." OMG, that sounds like the doctor who told me I had a "touch of CFS," and another who told me I had "borderline Narcolepsy." What?

--------------------
Best Wishes,

Hope

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

~~The Shawshank Redemption~~

Posts: 234 | From Minnesota | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A touch of Lyme disease is like being a little bit pregnant.

Hope he gets the best care possible, as I wish for everyone.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopesAlive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopesAlive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EXACTLY! lol

I fear for him, too. I hope he will run into someone who is actually educated in this disease and could potentially save his life.

--------------------
Best Wishes,

Hope

Posts: 234 | From Minnesota | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisyrlb
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisyrlb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A "touch of Lyme" is like having a "touch of Cancer". Hello???

Sorry to hear that about him. Even more so sorry because the doctors are so ignorant...and sheeple tend to believe everything their doctors say.

A "touch"...give me a break!

Posts: 2188 | From Oklahoma | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey that was what the Dr. wrote in my chart. My Lyme test was "Slightly Positive". [Smile]

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FYRECRACKER
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FYRECRACKER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This sounds comforting:

``I think it eases everybody's mind knowing he's got a viral infection, flu-bug thing, and we all know how you feel when you get that stuff,'' Gardenhire said. ``Probably got him feeling worse than he probably really is.''

--------------------
www.mylymechronicle.wordpress.com

Posts: 885 | From US | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopesAlive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29774

OMGosh, that is such an ignorant statement!

Just like my dear friend who said to me, when I was trying to decide if I should share my story with my colleagues, "Well, it will probably ease their minds, since they have expressed worry about you and your weight loss, etc. that a least you don't have something serious....like cancer."

I was speechless.

--------------------
Best Wishes,

Hope

James1979
Unregistered

Ouch, Hope! What can you say to those people? [Frown]
JunkYardWily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JunkYardWily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
did you have any link for this? i was looking online and couldnt find anything?

thanks

--------------------
sick since 9-09
igg, 18,23,41 reactive
igm, 41 reactive

Posts: 436 | From Kansas City | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeXtu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeXtu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, seems I may have jumped the gun on this one.

I heard this from a friend at work that heard it on a sports talk radio show, a reporter supposedly talked to Jake Mauer ( Joe Mauer's grandfather )at Canterbury Park and when asked about his health problems was told about him having lyme disease.

But I have not heard a word about it in the media and seems he may be back with the Twins this weekend ??

Posts: 448 | From minnesota | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Here's an interesting news article about the ambigueity of his illness:
www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/124293299.html

Does anyone know how he's playing now?

RDaywillcome
Member # 21454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RDaywillcome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_18292171?nclick_check=1
Posts: 1738 | From over the rainbow | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

It's interesting that he says he doesn't have Lyme disease, yet the earliest reports were that he had a viral illness, and then his grandfather claimed he had Lyme disease...

Something seems fishy to me.

JeniferM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JeniferM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can hear it now, behind the scenes...

"You said WHAT?"
"I said he had Lyme disease."
"Are you crazy? I'll be the laughing stock of the medical community"
backpeddle... backpeddle...
"Er... Joe is feeling better now, just a minor setback."

Nothing to see here... move along.

--------------------
IgM: [18++,31+++,34++,41++,83-93+] [39 IND]
IgG: [41 IND]
Positive according to IGeneX. Negative according to CDC. Negative for co-infections.
Currently treating for Lyme, Bartonella, Babesia

Posts: 225 | From Minnesota | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by JeniferM:
I can hear it now, behind the scenes...

"You said WHAT?"
"I said he had Lyme disease."
"Are you crazy? I'll be the laughing stock of the medical community"
backpeddle... backpeddle...
"Er... Joe is feeling better now, just a minor setback."

Nothing to see here... move along.

lol [Smile]

I'm curious to see what becomes of him. I hope he's okay, but the thing is that the reports are saying that he's not feeling 100% yet. IF he has Lyme, then that means there's a big chance he didn't treat it correctly.

James1979
Unregistered

Any Lyme news on Mauer yet?

I looked it up briefly, and this is what I found:
From July 6th:
"Mauer admitted this season "will be a grind," and indicated he's still feeling the effects of the bilateral leg weakness that kept him out of action for two months.

"They feel about ... well, me not playing today probably tells you," Mauer said of his knees. "I want to be in that lineup every day. I understand what it's going to be like the rest of the year.""
That's from here:�http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110706&content_id=21482410¬ebook_id=21485276&vkey=notebook_min&c_id=min

And then the following article shows that he's being called "lazy" and a weakling because of his injuries:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?id=6722529

JeniferM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JeniferM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read an article that had him saying that he did not have Lyme. Heck if I can remember where the article is now, though. Let's see if I can find it... ... okay, here it is:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/blogs/124030569.html

--------------------
Positive according to IGeneX. Negative according to CDC. Negative for co-infections.

Posts: 225 | From Minnesota | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the ESPN link:

"Oh yeah. For sure," Jake agreed. "I don't know where the back thing came from and it sounds like Joe didn't either. It's like the 'bilateral leg weakness' diagnosis that appeared everywhere. We still don't know how it got labeled that or where that came from. His legs were just weak after he had surgery on his knee. But before long, we heard he had Lyme disease, that he might have Lou Gehrig's disease."

--
really sad to read all the bashing he's getting

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
payne
Member # 26248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for payne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i still have 1 % of me thinking theres no way this is from a tick bite...
Don't be upset with Joe, to be an athlete and in the lyme light.. has to be confusing, Hope He gets His Game back !!!
 - [hi]

--------------------
TULAREMIA/rabbit fever ?

Posts: 1931 | From mid-michigan | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

There you have it, folks. Another case of persistent Lyme. Google "Joe Mauer news" and you'll find the following:
------

In 2009, at age 26, Joe Mauer hit 28 home runs en route to his MVP season.
This season, the Twins catcher who also has played some first base has one home run.
"There are a lot of reasons," Mauer said Wednesday. "I'm not feeling very good. I'm out here trying to grind it out."
According to Mauer, who is in the first season of an eight-year, $184 million contract, it will take the offseason for him to rebound from assorted ailments he said have been well documented. That would include weak knees and general overall soreness.

missing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why can't we all try to somehow get a letter and information, or just anything to him.

I wish more people could be helped.

--------------------
I am not a doctor. I have no clue.

Posts: 606 | From somewhere out there | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

I bet he's already informed about proper Lyme treatment and diagnosis. Imagine if you were in his shoes: If you had millions of dollars at stake that you would lose if you don't find a way to get healthy again, then you would go crazy searching for information. I bet you he's even checked out Lymenet.

I don't think he would ever come out and say that he has Lyme, because a celebrity like that has to be very careful about their public image. He would be publicly ridiculed by the medical establishment.

Those are just my opinions... but I know that if I was in his shoes and was about to lose millions of dollars and a good career... I'd probably be studying way more than I'm already studying now!

James1979
Unregistered

News: Mauer sidelined for second day with stiff neck:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110825&content_id=23731078¬ebook_id=23732008&vkey=notebook_min&c_id=min

I'm sure it's COMPLETELY unrelated to his "bilateral muscle weakness"...

JeniferM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31996

"...I told Joe, 'You have to go into the game. We have no other choice.' So he says he thinks he can do that."

Wow, if he feels anything like I do when my neck hurts from this, that would definitely be a feat to actually play in the game. Unless they have really good pain meds or something. But I suppose they would considering it's pro baseball and all.

--------------------

James1979
Unregistered

They probably give him a lot of weed before each game.

Medicinal, of course.

Coach: "Joe, man,are you ready? How do you feel?"
Joe: "Woah."

JeniferM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31996

hahahahahaha!

--------------------

Marz
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope his story has a happy ending like Ben Petrick's in Under Our Skin.

Can't help but compare the two.

Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Hmmm, now he's out for the rest of the season, with some "mild pneumonia".
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ycn-9147005

I think this is all way too weird. It's too many illnesses in a row. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't Lyme.

First he has "the flu", then bilateral muscle weakness, then his knees are bad, then he's feeling malaise, and now he has pneumonia. All of this happened within a few months.

James1979
Unregistered

You guys will get a kick out of this one: http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7023934/minnesota-twins-joe-mauer-wishes-play-looks-towards-2012
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote from the article James1979 posted
" Mauer said. "I trust the doctors and am doing everything they told me to do."

He is talking about Mayo clinic. YIKES!! I hope he wises up soon.

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement