LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Meal plans for the exhausted family

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Meal plans for the exhausted family
racer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for racer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
Sidestepping the debate on whether diet makes a difference in fighting Lyme...

My problem is that I have no energy to cook and shop.

Can folks recommend some easy, mostly healthy meals? I don't want to feed them hotpockets all the time and the Whole foods (which has healthy prepared foods) is an hour away..

thanks,
racer

--------------------
Me - Igenex: IgM: 41IND, IgG: 39IND, 41+ but Plasmid PCR Positive
Kiddo - after 1 year IV - positive Lyme culture (before IV: IgM:31,34,41,83-93 IND; IgG: 41+++, 66+)

Posts: 133 | From CT | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're not against canned foods, I would highly recommend Eden Organics canned foods. There is a large variety, and they use the safest type of cans. But they are definitely expensive.

Also, Amy's Organics has some wonderful canned foods.

Other options are dried foods, like dried sloppy-joes mix. You just have to boil water, add the bag of dried ingredients, add a can of tomato paste, and it's done in 5 minutes. Put some bread in the toaster and have it on some bread.

You could always have boiled eggs ready in the fridge, because eggs are very easy to boil, they store well, and they are super nutritious.

Dried mashed potatoes mixes are easy. Just boil water, add the powder, and in 5 minutes you're done. The dried gravy mixes are just as easy.

If you like soy products, it's pretty easy to make soy burgers.

It sounds like you aren't on a particularly special diet, so that's why I was just brainstorming without considering any diet restrictions.

I hope others can help you here with some good advice! Be well.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just keep lots of fresh veggies in frig and can steam them easily and saute chicken boneless breasts or baked tilapa white fish.

As long as I have the food in frig, which is hard because I hate to grocery shop. I found the only way to do good shopping is with a list.

I keep a continuing grocery list on the counter and as I get low on something I write it on my list.

I do try to match sales ads with coupons and most times the ad expires before I get into the grocery store. If it's a great deal and great coupon deal....my husband works in the grocery business.

He can do it for me if I'm specific. [lol]
And oh my don't let his list be too long. It really blows his mind. The man can cut meat and bring home the meat and good cuts, but he acts like he's lost in the produce and grocery aisle.

He doesn't like to do it much. He doesn't like to return the wrong item. [bonk]

I can fix a meal out of anything. Eggs, tunafish, frozen filets, frozen individual chicken breasts and I always have very lean ground meat in the freezer in small size pkgs.

Tonight I know we are having steamed baby carrots and ?????

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok this is what I do.

I get organic chicken breast or wild caught seafood. A typical week for us looks like this.

Day 1:
I will marinate some chicken/fish for grilling. That's one meal with veggies and quinoa.

Day 2. Use the extra grilled chicken for a pasta dish.

Day 3: Bake plain chicken breasts w/ sea salt and pepper- use for pulled BBQ chicken sandwiches (add BBQ later)

Day 4: Use the left over baked chicken quesadillas

Day 5: Use the same baked chicken to make home made pizza. I cut up all the ingredients and let the kids make their own!

I also bake salmon too, which is fast and easy.
Not to mention organic omelette. I also make babyback ribs which is also very easy although not quick! Tuna fish sandwiches are fast and easy to make as well.

What I try to avoid is standing there chopping/stir frying type of meals. That I can no longer do... and when all else fails and I'm pooped... I'll pop a whole chicken w/ potatoes, onions, carrots, lemon, butter and whatever herbs I find sprinkle some sea salt... slow cook for 2 hours and it's delicious!

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moving to General Support

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would need you to define easy. I only say this b/c we all have different energy levels and what may seem easy for me could be very difficult for someone else.

But here are some meals that I consider "easy" I LOVE to cook and used to make more extravagant meals. So for me...these would be "easy". Let me know if you need something that takes less effort.

I make turkey burgers and spinach with lemon and garlic. I do buy fresh ground organic turkey and on a day I have more energy, I make them into patties and freeze.

There is actually a place you can order the organic ground turkey from online at a fairly reasonable price. I'd have to find out what the place is called though. This is what one of my coworkers does and I forget where she told me she gets it.

The grocery stores near me deliver. Don't know if you have one close to you that does but that is always an option.

Salmon can be easy as well. I don't even marinate it all the time. Just cover with olive oil and garlic and some salt and pepper. Bake in the oven at 350. I squeeze fresh lemon juice over it when it is done. It tastes really good. asparagus goes really well with the salmon.

Frozen veggies are easy to cook. I do prefer fresh but that just isn't feasible all the time.

Maybe a stir fry? You can get the brown rice that steams in the bag.

hummus is good for a snack

chicken salad....red potato salad...tuna salad....quinoa salad instead or if you can tolerate it and are allowed; pasta salad.

Here is my pasta salad recipe. It is a bit different than most other recipes. Sorry, I'm not good with measurements! This is another dish you make on a day you have energy and can eat it for several days after.

I box penne pasta
Roasted red peppers
Sun dried tomatoes
green olives
pine nuts
capers
If you can tolerate cheese, I used to add some sharp provolone to it. I don't do that now though, since I'm off of dairy for the time being. [Frown]
homemade dressing of your choice. I use a balsamic vinaigrette but if on anti-yeast diet you may need to do something different.

I just chop the olives in a food processor and do the roasted peppers and sun dried tomatoes by hand. Add all ingredients to cooked pasta or whatever you're using and top with salad dressing. Chill and serve.

Crock pot meals are always good too. I do use a recipe for chile but it does take some time to cut up the veggies if you don't have a food processor. The chopping is the hardest part. But you can even sit down and chop if you have to.

I make a few adjustments to keep in lines of my diet but here is the recipe I use as a guide.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/meatiest-vegetarian-chili-from-your-slow-cooker/detail.aspx

I use ground organic turkey instead. I don't do well with green peppers so I use red and yellow. I also do a combo of kidney beans and black beans. When I was on the candida diet, I just left out the white vinegar.

Another good crock pot recipe that my family enjoys is roast pork. You can also just cook in the oven covered; on a low temp for several hours.

Roast pork tenderloin
packet of roast pork gravy rubbed on tenderloin
Sliced onions (I use like 4 but we like a lot)
water in the pan or crock pot so it makes juice
Then just cook it for several hours.

We used to eat this as a meal or as sandwiches. I can't do the sandwiches anymore. [Frown] But when I could, I made broccoli rabe and we had them on a roll with sharp provolone cheese and horseradish sauce. Actually, that is how my hubby still eats it. MY mouth waters every time! I usually just have mine with veggies and mashed rutabagas.

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeniferM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JeniferM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're home during the day, you can make a basic roast beef in the oven:

Ingredients:
One large chuck roast (beef)
1/4 cup water
Thyme
salt
pepper

Directions;
heat oven to 350 degrees
put roast in oven safe dish with sides (I have a glass pan that I use)
sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper
cover with tin foil
cook 2.5 hours or until it pulls apart with a fork. Could take less time if you have a smaller roast. I don't have the direct pounds to minutes cooking time. I just check it every so often.

--------------------
IgM: [18++,31+++,34++,41++,83-93+] [39 IND]
IgG: [41 IND]
Positive according to IGeneX. Negative according to CDC. Negative for co-infections.
Currently treating for Lyme, Bartonella, Babesia

Posts: 225 | From Minnesota | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Wow! I'm surprised how many of you have meat-based diets! Now I feel kinda like a fanatic. [Smile]

There were many mentions of salmon above... just please make sure it's wild-caught and not farmed, because farmed has way too many metals.

randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i use my crockpot alot, but i have a lot of recipes for pasta.

there's also a cookbook for 3, 4 or 5 ingredients that's pretty good.

also walmart has these roast packages that come with vegetables, seasoning and all. i've bought them a couple of times and they're not bad.

spaghette is always good or lasagna.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tricky Tickey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll get a fresh cooked rotisserie chicken at the grocery store. Sometimes can get at half price if it's 6pm or so. I'll get 3 meals off of it, or more, since hubby doesn't like healthy food. I take it off the bone, then freeze what I don't use.

Throw it in the sautee pan with coconut oil, squash, onions or whatever you like. Easy meal! Then there's Hormel Turkey chilli with beans. Of course, it's not organic, but at least it's healthier than others and lots of fiber from the beans.

Cook a batch of Quinoa. Split into small meals, add pumpkin seeds, onions, ground meat, whatever you want. Freeze them and use later. Same with brown rice.

I'm lazy, so I do this a lot!

--------------------
Early Disseminated LD- 2010.
Currently doing acupuncture and yoga.
Negative Igenex (IND & Pos Bands)
ISSUES AFTER: Tendonitis, letter reversal, Low immune system.
PREVENTION:SaltC,Iodine,Humaworm,
Chiropractic.

Posts: 1013 | From In a van down by the river. | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm crippled so it has to be easy. On a good day I can stand up and walk 30 steps! That's why I make foods in batches that I and mix and match so to speak.

So I usually make one type of protein that I can create other dishes out of. Thus baking a lot of chicken or salmon (always organic or wild caught) is easy for me.

We don't eat another meats b/c we just don't like the taste.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlanaSuzanne
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlanaSuzanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of good suggestions here, as usual!

Racer, there have been several other threads on this topic. Try the search feature above to see what else you can find.

I wish we could have a sticky on this topic in General where all the great ideas/recipes could be consolidated and added to so that people could just go to one topic and read away.

Lymetoo/six - if you're reading, what do you think of that idea?

--------------------
You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.'

---Eleanor Roosevelt

Posts: 748 | From somewhere | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4Seasons
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4Seasons     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of years ago I was so tired of trying to figure out what to cook. I picked up a great cookbook at Target - "Express Lane Meals" by Rachael Ray.

It has a list of what to keep on hand to make meals in under 30 minutes. It has improved the quality of our meals immensely. Plus, I can hand an easy recipe over to my husband or daughter or get them to help and cut the time down.

For lunch I like to have salad with some kind of protein, but I know I won't make it everyday, so I try and make a big salad that will last a few days. Then I can just pull it out of the frig and add some protein and eat a quick lunch.

--------------------
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Anonymous

Posts: 450 | From California | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do what Scorpiogirl and 4Seasons do. Which is cook in batches and use Rachel Ray style meals.

I use a stool at the counter so I am not standing to chop.

I use a food processor to do a lot of the chopping.

I do not wait until the end of the day to cook. My best energy is in the morning, so that is when I will cook dinner.

My husband is diabetic, so my meal plan needs to take that into account. I found this cookbook. Most of the recipes are quick cooking meals, and they have good flavor and are healthy: http://www.amazon.com/Diabetes-Cooking-Everyone-All-Natural-Low-Glycemic/dp/1600940633

Hope this helps,
Karen

Posts: 1686 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Karen..will that cookbook work for GF also?

And does it have ideas for just a few steps?

My brain goes quickly when it is working so need food prep that just has about 3 steps involved.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was bad last night and fixed a pasta hot dish with tunafish, noodles, mozz cheese and canned cream of chix soup mix.

I ate more steamed carrots than pasta dish. So please don't fuss at me Tutu. I love steamed carrots. Love love love

That all I had brain power to come up with yesterday. I need to go to the store today. I hope it happens.

I've got my list ready and coupons. We'll see?

Pam

--------------------

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by James1979:
Wow! I'm surprised how many of you have meat-based diets! Now I feel kinda like a fanatic. [Smile]

There were many mentions of salmon above... just please make sure it's wild-caught and not farmed, because farmed has way too many metals.

Actually, I used to be a vegan. But I just cannot eat like that while being sick. I find I feel my best when I eat a lot of protein. I still eat a good amount of veggies though. I would say about 70% of my diet is vegetables.

I eat all day long. And when I say all day long, I mean ALL day long! Still can't gain any weight though.

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mom2kids
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mom2kids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You all are way better than me. My easy meal when exhausted is 1-800-DOMINOES "Can I get a large pepperoni pizza please..."

[bow]

--------------------
Down on her knees, she wept on the floor.
This hopeless life, she wanted no more.
Dead in the mind and cold to the bone,
She opened her eyes and saw she was alone. ~Seether

Posts: 427 | From Rhode Island | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura_W
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31491

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura_W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mom2kids I am so with ya on that.... as well as the frozen meals. My 5 and 9 year olds know how to work the microwave well. So sad.

--------------------
10/10 EIA 1.4+, 41 (IGG), 23 (IGM)
Bitten over 20 years ago.
Currently not treating, looking for a Dr who will work with my insurance lol.

More muscular, cognitive, nerve issues than joints. Facial droop and blurred vision.

Posts: 323 | From Michigan | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Member # 31069

quote:
Originally posted by mom2kids:
You all are way better than me. My easy meal when exhausted is 1-800-DOMINOES "Can I get a large pepperoni pizza please..."

[bow]

Oh what I would give to be able to eat a pizza!

--------------------

JeniferM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JeniferM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@philly78... me, too! Pizza is the worst thing for me and my food intolerances, but it's my most favorite food. I pay dearly when I cave in and eat some. sigh.

--------------------
Positive according to IGeneX. Negative according to CDC. Negative for co-infections.

Posts: 225 | From Minnesota | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Seriously, I can't believe any of you would actually eat a commercial pizza when you are fighting a serious illness! Personally, I wouldn't want to touch a pizza with a 10-foot pole right now. [Smile]

Think about all of the chemicals and toxins in there! White flour, hydrogenated oils with imbalanced omegas, artificial colorings and flavorings and preservatives, MSG, fake meat made out of who-knows-what... YUCK!

If I ever have a craving to eat something like that, I say: "Do you want to feel sick? If you want to feel sick, then go ahead and have a piece."

map1131
Member # 2022

Okay, thanks James. Does Papa put less toxins in their pizza?

How about veggie pizza. My favorite is spinach and chicken and alfredo sauce. Anybody want to share? My husband doesn't like Spinach Pizza.

I hate fake meats too. [Big Grin]

Pam

--------------------

James1979
Unregistered

Here's my version of a healthy homemade pizza which is very easy to make:

-Take a piece of sliced whole grain bread
-Slap on some organic pasta sauce
-Slap on a piece of organic cheese
-Throw it in the oven for 5 minutes until the cheese melts (you can use a small table-top oven if you're not making a lot of these)
-Tada! [Smile] Healthy organic homemade pizza in about 8 minutes time. Cleanup is very minimal. 3 minutes for preparation, 5 minutes in the oven. If you have a lot of mouths to feed you can just fill the oven rack with these mini pizzas.

You can also be creative with the toppings. My favorite is to add some crushed pineapples underneath the cheese layer.

Too bad I can't eat this now because I'm on a strict anti-yeast and gluten-free diet. But if I'm ever cured of Lyme... this will be my first victory meal, washed down with a big cup of wine. Mmmm, I feel happy just thinking about that! [Smile]

sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quesadillas are quick and easy. You can use store bought tortillas (low carb or sprouted grain or corn...), canned beans, a can of Rotel (diced tomatoes with green chiles), frozen (thawed) green peppers and onions, and cheese. You can also add pre cooked meat and other veggies too.

Have the kids put together their quesadillas while you cook. I spray a little cooking oil on the bottom of the pan to keep them from sticking. Takes just a few minutes on each side to make everything melty inside and the tortillas crispy on the outside.

Serve them with salsas, taco sauce, guacamole, and sour cream.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always keep lots of frozen veggies and chicken breast tenders on hand. I like not having to wash and chop everything. And the chicken tenders cook faster than chicken breasts.

If I really can't think of anything to make I can always pop some chicken in the oven. Top it with salsa or a spritz of oil and some seasonings. Serve with brown rice or quinoa. And veggies of choice.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. I'm unable to cook or prepare any food, or shop. I'm totally at the mercy of others to feed me and what I can order from Amazon for food. I've lived on cereal, granola bars, canned soups, tuna, oatmeal, bananas, Annie's mac and cheese, eggs, etc for years now.

My biggest dream and goal is to be able to cook again. Anything. I've actually been in the hospital now for four days and it's the best I've eaten in ages!

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KAM, I convert it to GF. I will look it over and see if I can find a few recipes to send to you.

Best,
Karen

Posts: 1686 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mom2kids
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mom2kids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually don't eat Dominoe's Pizza, but if I put the name of my local pizzeria nobody would've gotten my (half-hearted) joke. BTW, it does not matter what I eat, it makes me sick and/or causes pain.

I am just starting down the "Lyme" road, haven't even gotten to a LLMD yet so I am not to the point of being as rigorous as some of you here. I actually don't know if I could ever be as disciplined as some of you here, but that's just me.

Anyway, didn't mean to offend anybody, I just have a weird sense of humor...

--------------------
Down on her knees, she wept on the floor.
This hopeless life, she wanted no more.
Dead in the mind and cold to the bone,
She opened her eyes and saw she was alone. ~Seether

Posts: 427 | From Rhode Island | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

mom2kids - it's a SLOW path to becoming disciplined. Just a few weeks ago I was saying "I would never do such a thing," but now I'm doing those things!

Never in my life did I think I would ever follow such a strict diet. But if you see the Lyme is persisting, then slowly you become more desperate and more disciplined.

JeniferM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31996

That's okay mom2kids... I thought it was humorous, especially the little emoticon doing the "I'm not worthy" bowing afterwards :-)

I can't think of any recipes that I can post that don't involve choppping and stuff. I don't tolerate most canned and prepackaged foods, so everything I make is pretty much from scratch and there really isn't anything simple about that.

--------------------

kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw a recipe for chicken breasts, creme of mushroom soup, 375 degrees in the oven for 45 min I think.

It had white rice but I would like to try it with brown rice.

This recipe might work on one of those times when I am functioning a bit higher than norm.

Thinking I would just put the chicken in frozen as I find I think I am doing Ok and then by the time I get the chicken defrosted I am not doing well enough to cook it.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am currently working on my second cookbook. My big thing is quick and easy. As a single mother I learned many ways to fix dinner fast after a long day at work.

1. Pot roast in oven: Buy largest pot roast you can find...about2-3" thick. Sprinkle a packet of onion soup mix on top and below it as you wrap it tightly in several layers of foil. Bake at 200 for 9 hours. You can pop this in at breakfast and go back to bed!

2. Baked chicken breasts. Find that great "Garlic Spread" stuff in a jar at Costco in their spice section. Line baking dish with foil to make an easy clean up. Put in chicken breasts, skin side up. Sprinkle generously with the garlic spread. Bake at 350 for 45 min or so. You can toss in some potatoes with it.

3. Poached salmon. Cover salmon fillet with water in a large skillet. Add 6 or 8 peppercorns, a bay leaf and 1 tsp. vinegar. Cook slowly until fish is no longer clear in center....about 10 minutes. I sometimes make a quick fake hollandaise sauce with egg yolks and sour cream, lemon juice to top it off.

4. Easy stew. Two pounds of stew beef cut into small pieces. One can of condensed tomato soup. One large onion chopped. Two or three carrots sliced thick on an angle. One cup frozen peas. One or two potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced.
One tsp fresh chopped garlic (or garlic powder to taste). One large bay leaf. One soup can of water. Salt and pepper. Put all of this in a sturdy baking dish with a lid. Bake at 275 for 5 hours, while you lounge on the couch and smell your wonderful dinner cooking all by itself!

BTW, an acupuncturist that I see every now and then told me to eat more good red meat. I am very pale. We try to limit our intake, but he said to have a good steak once a week at least....as if I can afford it!

Another tip: Shop for a week at a time. It is more efficient and saves you money. Plan your trip on paper after you have written out your menus and shopping list. We buy most meat and produce at a large chain grocery store. But other things we usually buy at Wal Mart or Target.

Always start with a sales flyer to see what specials they have. Then head to the meat and fish counter first. Then buy fresh produce. Next buy dairy. Then frozen. We buy very little else. Trader Joes is a great place to find frozen entrees that are fast and healthy. I buy their protein powder for a morning yogurt/strawberry shake.

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Today was too hot to cook in the kitchen. Husband was putting meat on the grill and I decided to foil up fresh cut veggies, some herbs from my 1st attempt with herb garden on the patio.

Wow it was wonderful. Zucchini/parm and roasted red potatoes with fresh parsley and chives in olive oil.

I don't like the oven or stove top cooking much this time of year. House is already hot enough and struggling to keep up with heat outside. It doesn't. Builder's typical central air units.

Got to find a way to get greener and more effiecent. Problem is....coming up with green money????

Pam

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement