LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » i just found out my brother will be homeless in 20 days

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: i just found out my brother will be homeless in 20 days
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have tried to help him but i am going down myself. he has a social worker and psychologist...but i'm pretty sure there are no open beds in the himeless shelter so i think he will be sleeping in his van and that can't work for long in nh. winters come early here.

i'm scared...but i have really done way more for him than i should have.

i believe he has had untreated lyme for over 10 yrs. hes mad that the one month of tx didn't work so refuses any meds or herbs until "they know how to cure it for sure"

i really don't think he is thinking right---but if i don't take care of myself i will lose my housing and medical too

so sad.

my whole family except one son gave up on my brother years ago. they are all supporting me. but this is really hard.

what if he freezes to death in the van???

cuz i said he couldn't sleep on the couch? he makes me crazy refusing tx!!!

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some ppl are just very hard to help. You can't make him get treatment, so don't beat yourself up. In situations like this, sometimes you just have to let it go. I know that sounds harsh, but I have been in a similar situation where the person just could not be helped.

You can pray and just live one day at a time. Don't cross bridges before you get to them. I know, easier said than done.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you. i will have to keep hearing words like yours. i'm going to get a mini massage right now. my neck and shoulders are like rocks.

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kayak... he's going to end up on your couch if you stay in NH.

I really do feel for you. I have no ideas.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mom2kids
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mom2kids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can't force somebody to take meds, just like you can't force somebody to stop drinking or doing drugs. They can't be helped if they don't want to be and you can't beat yourself up about it.

I know easier said than done...your number one priority should be your health and you getting better. You won't be able to help the ones that want it if you aren't healthy.

--------------------
Down on her knees, she wept on the floor.
This hopeless life, she wanted no more.
Dead in the mind and cold to the bone,
She opened her eyes and saw she was alone. ~Seether

Posts: 427 | From Rhode Island | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

thank you again. i got mad at lymetoo for saying that and just yelled at her in a pm but it was really good she did that cuz it made me verbalize all the reasons why i cant keep helping him!

alos...he called me at 6 and said he found a place?!?!?!

i guess all my tears and stress this afternoon were for nothing...but it was good practice for me to say no to him

thank you all for being there

--------------------

BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As if having Lyme ourselves isn't hard enough, we also have the undiagnosed and undertreated people in our lives.

I know you ache for him and I know you want to help, but he MUST meet you more than halfway. That means finding a doc and taking meds. That means providing for his own basic needs. Otherwise, your efforts are wasted.

Your only obligation is to yourself. It takes 100% of our effort to get ourselves well.

You are not a bad person or a bad sister. Helping people who won't help themselves is exhausting and ultimately fruitless. He has resources. Let them help him. And don't supply him with free room and board. That will only impair YOUR recovery.

I'm so sorry you are in this situation. Cry for him, pray for him and love him, but don't try to save him. He needs to figure out how to save himself.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lpkayak:
i got mad at lymetoo for saying that and just yelled at her in a pm but it was really good she did that cuz it made me verbalize all the reasons why i cant keep helping him!

-
You did?? Boy, I'm slippin'!!! I KNOW you should NOT have him in your house!! I was just worried that if it's freezing outside and he knocks on your door... well... it would be hard to say no. I know it would be hard on me.

But NO, you should NOT let him back in.

[group hug]

ps.. get mad at me anytime... I'm so goofy I won't even notice. [bonk]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang in there Kayak. I tried to help a family member with a drug problem 3 times and everytime it was a disaster. You can't help those that don't want to help themselves.

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6137 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

thank you guys again. i need to fall asleep. i just went out to water the flowers and ran into another untxed lymie and spent another hour getting upset about him

I NEED TO GO TO THE BARN!!!!!!

but hope i can sleep some b4 my 12 hr drive tomorrow...

thank you-it is so good to know you are all here

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

[group hug]

drive carefully!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

John S
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I found out my brother would be homeless and his only real crime was not wanting therapy for Lyme, I'd share a cardboard box with him if that was my only shelter.
Posts: 743 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
john i understand. however, i would be concerned that what lyme symptoms he has, i.e., rage, irrational behavior, etc.

i'm not saying he would, but there is a slight possibility he could turn violent or do something to hurt someone.

sometimes we have to practice tough love. this is a very hard call to make.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Golly, I would have been screamed at too. I've learned the hard way....you cannot help those that won't help themselves.

My life the last year was to learn that lesson about my daughter, my brother, my father which involves my mother also.

I have tried to take of too many people for too long. I have finally realized the only ones that matter to me are MYSELF, my husband and my two grandsons 7yrs old and 10 yrs old.

Everyone else is on their own. Pam is not free to help dysfunctional people anymore. These people will drain you of all headway one can make in healing.

lpkay, I've had the last 6 mths of hell learning this lesson. I'm still in pain. Heart pain from wondering if I'm doing the right thing.

I am. I know I'm doing what my Lord wants me to do. The right things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John S
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like I said, if his only real crime was that he didn't want to take Lyme meds I wouldn't let him freeze. If he were violent etc, then forget it.

quote:
Originally posted by randibear:
john i understand. however, i would be concerned that what lyme symptoms he has, i.e., rage, irrational behavior, etc.

i'm not saying he would, but there is a slight possibility he could turn violent or do something to hurt someone.

sometimes we have to practice tough love. this is a very hard call to make.

Posts: 743 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[group hug]
Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

John, there is definitely more to that story than treating Lyme.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does he have ANY visible means of support?

Like SSDI or just the lesser disability?? Food stamps? Public housing ? section 8?

What did he find? Sleeping room or full inexpensive apartment?

Is he unable to work at any job?

Sounds as if you were doing the RIGHT thing!!!

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I think he IS getting some assistance. Don't think he is able to work.. at all.

Kayak is headed north with belongings right now.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lpkayak
Member # 5230

hi guys...i got here. 12 hrs on the road. noce to read what you wrote.

he gets 200 a month food stamps

they are helping him apply for ssdi

he is on a waiting list for low income housing...they will count his food stamps as income and he will have to pay 1/3 of that for rent and utilities(cable extra)

i can pay him some for cutting grass and shoveling snow i think. so he can pay rent.

he might be able to get others to work for but he is very wierd esp when it comes to talking to ppl

also...john...it is way more than just refusig meds...its hard to describe ... but when he is in my house i really cannot take care of myself. i've tried for 2 yrs...somehow his needs get met and i go down. i have gone 10,000. into debt over this...and have to stop. its just hard. but when i say no to im...in a short time he manages to fix the problem...

the new room is with a middleaged couple who rent out 3 rooms in their house while they are repairing the house. my brothere is a very good carpenter...he is a perfectionist so he says he cant work...but he can do some stuff and maybe he will end up helping them

it is better than his room now

and he is on the list for the other housing

gotta go...thanks all...i,m exhausted

so glad you all chimed in tho. thanks

--------------------

missing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Bartonella treatment will help him a little bit.

Even with out a diagnosis.

I was on Bartonella treatment for 3 months and it made a huge difference.

My husband has just started Bartonella treatment and it is really helping with those types of symptoms.

Maybe your bother would notice a big enough difference and would feel better and have hope again.

I don't think Bartonella treament is that expensive.

I did Rifampin and Doxycycline for a month or two, then Rifampin and minocycline for a month or two.

The doxycycline made me really nauseaus, and I was throwing up every day.

My mind was so confused with lyme disease that I thought the throwing up was herxing. I couldn't even understand what my LLMD was trying to communicate to me.

He was trying to tell me that there was a med. for the nauseau, but i was so sick with Lyme disease that I could barely understand people.

It sounded like everyone was talking jibberish.

That could be why it is so tough on your bother.

Maybe he is so sick, that he can not even function. I couldn't function. I was lucky that my husband was helping.

--------------------
I am not a doctor. I have no clue.

Posts: 606 | From somewhere out there | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is help out their for those in need. They need to ask for help. It's when they refuse to help themselves that I give up.

I'll give to anyone that is trying to help themselves. Just don't expect me to carry you.

I used to be the keeper of my family. Always felt like that, even as a child. Must have something to do with being the oldest child of 5.

My keeper time is over. Someone else will need to be the keeper.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

missing-he thinks of all the infectiona -worms-rays-metals...everything as Bb. thats it. no tx. believe me-i know a lot and i have tried for a long time. he will either go down or the mainstream medical and soc wk ppl will help him

i need to stay strong and separate

--------------------

lpkayak
Member # 5230

map-thank you. i am oldest of 6 and was a mom to many of them for a long time. i guess you and i have a lot in common. thank you for your words. i need o ekkp hearing them.

--------------------

momindeep
Member # 7618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momindeep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed when my daughter was so sick with LD that she would get an idea in her head, and there was no changing her mind, no matter how out there it was.

She could be scrappy and difficult...but I also noticed that it could have been due to the fact that she had very little control over her life at the time, and her ideas and decisions she did have control over...even if the ideas or decisions were wrong.

So your brother's problem could be a control issue in an out-of-control life?

Just my opinion and observation.

Posts: 1512 | From Glenwood City WI | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just a thought. my sister's bil has lyme. they have tried everything in the world to help him, even paying for apartment, car, etc., he lost his apartment, ruined the car, etc.

and he says there is nothing wrong with him.

he is totally "out there". he comes over with laundry that smells so bad, she told him to go to a laundry matt, she won't put it in her washer.

he goes in and uses their toothbrushes and they have to throw them away.

i could go on and on but you get the picture.

his pictures have denied there is anything wrong with him.

she is afraid of him and finally her husband gave up also.

like some say "you can leave a horse to water but you can't make it drink".

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

thank you both. it is clear i am not the only one going thru this. i hope this thread will help others struggling with the same thing i am. i am afraid because of the mess with medical care and all the other things...politics...greed of drug companies and ins companies this problem is going to be more and more prevalent.

those who want the masses to go down and disappear will get their way sooner if we do let those not helping themselves bring those of us who are fighting down

these sentences are too long for my brain. do they make sense>

yes...we need to fight and we need to put ourselves first. then some energy can go to others who are trying and fighting. but no energy to quitters ... they will drag us down with them.

it is so hard. but i have this tread to go back to to get strength from your words.

thank you again

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement