LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Everyone look please!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Everyone look please!
finallylyme
Member # 33807

Icon 10 posted      Profile for finallylyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's ask Dr Oz to do a show on Lyme! Please follow the link to sign a petition!

Dr Oz with a twist of Lyme please

--------------------
I have Lyme - but it doesn't have me.

Posts: 70 | From ohio | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momindeep
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momindeep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am worried that Dr. Oz would get it wrong, somehow, and put out wrong information...or is that just me thinking negatively?
Posts: 1512 | From Glenwood City WI | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't trust any of those doctors shows .. I think Dr Oz has talked about Lyme before and it didn't go well.

He seems to be sticking his neck out more lately.....so maybe he would welcome a controversial show.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Phil and Oz are respected in their medical fields. But yes, they are entertaining too... at least Dr Phil is! [lol]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Dr. Oz is not about to touch this. He did do a segment on lyme about a year ago and he actually explained that it can cause some very serious symptoms and that it can go undiagnosed for a long time.

He said to "talk to your doctor" - so he clearly does not realize (or believe) that most doctors have not a clue and that some are down right against the science of lyme and refuse to learn more.

I admire some things about Dr. Oz but I think in his format, wanting to also maintain a reputation with the medical board that he just can't do much.

Recently, he advised parents to buy organic apple juice as some of the conventional apple juices he
looked at contained arsenic from pesticides, etc.

The FDA and other doctors clobbered him. He stood his ground but I have to say that the format of his show - his livelihood - is just not set up to do this.

However, it would be so wonderful if he were to see UNDER OUR SKIN and bring on the people who made that documentary. They've already done the work. Dr. Oz does not have the time to get up to speed.

Also, it'd be good to have ILADS and (gulp) IDSA discuss. But, again, the format of his show would just not be able to cover this and he would likely give the last word to the IDSA.

Dr. Oz tends to do short segments. I'm sure that's to keep the audience awake but it would be nice if the show's format was a lot less like a game show and more about learning.

He also was on Oprah with the producers of "Under our Skin" a couple years ago. He just did not agree with them. He said he could not see the science of it. Perhaps, he still relies on the IDSA and this is a lot to study and I think he just does not have the time (or cares to take the time).

Did you notice how many markets would not air on PBS "Under Our Skin" when it ran a few months ago?

Some markets put it on only at 3 am. THAT's the kind of pressure media gets to cover up lyme.

CALDA (California Lyme Disease Association); LDA (Lyme Disease Association); Turn the Corner Foundation; Time for Lyme; etc.

well, if you want to help make a change, it might be more rewarding personally to work with one of those groups as they are constantly working on education issues.
-

[ 10-09-2011, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the guy, and I think he does some really good things. But I think he has way too many conflicts of interest. He knows he'll be shut down if he bothers the FDA or Pharma too much.

BUT his show where he interviewed Dr. Burzynski was pretty fair, IMO. He suggested to the audience that they make closer investigations of some of the "alternative" cancer treatments before they give in to the "Big Three" (cut, poison, and burn).

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Darn, I missed that one!! He also had Montel on and was discussing the marijuana issue. He stuck his neck out quite a bit.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

James1979
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here ya go: [Smile]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVejUrKnh6E

Dr. Oz interviewing Dr. Burzynski and Eric Merola (the director of "The Burzynski Movie")

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

up for kirstie

thanks, James!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We keep looking for a champion, but they are pretty thin on the ground.

People in the media have pressures on them. Politicians don't want to be perceived as being ill and incapable. Actors don't get roles if they admit to having some chronic illness. So, if any of these people were to take up our cause it would have to be because someone in their families had it, not themselves.

You saw what happened when Pres. Bush had lyme. No word on his treatment, and he did not become our champion.

Anyway, don't hold your breath.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement