LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » emotional and phychological probelms???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: emotional and phychological probelms???
phil C
Member # 34473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phil C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I put this on the medical forum but didn't get much response. Does anyone have some insight for me on this?

Hello:

Will the emotional and phychological symptoms retard if and when we get the bacteria and toxins out of the brain or will those continue to require additional treatment efforts. In other words is the damage most likely temporary due to the presence of the bacteria or more permanent and needing to be fixed independantly?

Thanks in advance

Phil

--------------------
my wife and I and all 4 of our children have chronic lyme disease. My mission is to fix that.

Posts: 30 | From NJ | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mom2kids
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mom2kids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started treatment 5 weeks ago, so I can't answer your question, but I so badly hope so. I mean, I hope all these "added bonuses" of LD go away or at least as away as possible.

Good luck to you and I hope somebody can actually answer your question.

--------------------
Down on her knees, she wept on the floor.
This hopeless life, she wanted no more.
Dead in the mind and cold to the bone,
She opened her eyes and saw she was alone. ~Seether

Posts: 427 | From Rhode Island | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeremyA
Member # 34512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JeremyA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugggh...was just diagnosed about a week and a half ago and have TERRIBLE anxiety...not sure if it's because I KNOW that I have to go through each day utterly exhausted or if it's chemically-based anxiety. Is there anyone out there who has felt this but has gotten relief after taking the bacterial infection out of the equation?
Posts: 1 | From Montclair, NJ | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tricia386
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 29623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tricia386     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jermey I am struggaling with this too I dont know if it is me or the bugs causing the anxiety

--------------------
Lyme activated in April 2010 by gardasil vaccine.
DX: Lyme,Babs,Myco,Bart 11/10
Treatment Started: 3/28/11

Posts: 1752 | From Albany, NY | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tricia,

I have spoken with you on the phone. I know it is not you. You are just as level headed as I am. It is very hard to recognize a neuro, mental herx. It is the meds causing it.
I would be careful with playing with the rifampin dose. I have been told to start at full dose and if you can't handle it stop it and try again in a couple of months when you get your load down a little.
If you ever need to talk don't hesitate to call.

Posts: 433 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robbiem
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jermey

Yes, there is a good chance that with time and a bit of patience that the neuro issues will greatly diminish or become non existant.

It varies from person to person, but you should see some relief over time.

The anxiety can really be counter productive, as it can not only affect our energy levels, but moreso our sleep, which is something I really struggle with.

I have found that if I take something called Natural Calm that it really helps with both issues. But you need to be really strict in taking it daily, otherwise you will find that the anxiety stuff re-emerges.

I don't like to pop pills, however, having a good anxiety med on hand for when things are really at their peak is really a help.

Read up on them and talk to your doctor.

I do not like SSRIs, however, find that Xanax or Klonopin can help, and you only take them when needed, not all the time.

Good luck
Robbie

Posts: 192 | From New England | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tricia386
Member # 29623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tricia386     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cleo-

I know I am level headed. But I have become obessed with Lyme and Coinfections. I eat live and breathe it. And I dwell on it. I becoming obessed. My mind is in permanet worry mod. I just dwell and think which adds more stress.

Now bc I cant sleep I worry all day about not sleeping and then when i try to i worry about trying to sleep and what if I wake up. So irrational.

In a way I think maybe this event triggered an anxiety issue for me.

I have an appt. with a pshycologist hopefully he can help sort it out.

--------------------
Lyme activated in April 2010 by gardasil vaccine.
DX: Lyme,Babs,Myco,Bart 11/10
Treatment Started: 3/28/11

Posts: 1752 | From Albany, NY | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JAC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I am reading the parasites affect our seratonin level causing anxiety and depression. So if they mess with that then I am hoping when they are killed off then the anxiety will be decreased.

I have been told for 13 yrs it was all in my head. The paralasis, bells palsy, pain and so on was all in my head. I was relieved to find out it was lyme and not just in my head.

After starting the abx I actually have decreased in my stress level to the point of stopping my anxiety meds. To be honest now my muscle jerking is increased and not being able to find an ilads llmd in a reasonable time is causing me stress.

Its a side effect and it is justifiable that we are anxious and even depressed. We do become obsessed about researching it because we have the world telling us we really don't have any problems when we know we do!

I whole heartedly believe in getting some relief from anxiety either with meds or prayer or other forms of relaxation. We need to have a calm heart to allow our bodies to heal properly. I hope you find what works for you! Take care

--------------------
A little lymie...

Posts: 104 | From Greener Pastures in PA | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MerissaZJL
Member # 27139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MerissaZJL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 9 year old son has Lyme, it is now affecting his emotions greatly. He has been on 2 antibiotics for over 1 year. He has been crying alot and acting like a 5 year old at times. I know it is the lyme, but what can I do to help hime without giving into this behavior.
Posts: 6 | From Bayville, NJ | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had lyme rages really bad. i would get so angry with him i had to leave the room or i was going to do or say something.

it did go down. i still get angry but nothing like before.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it does get better with treatment. So hang in there. Some people do take psych meds for a while.

My obsessive compulsive, mild not major, did go away.

However, the situation we are in with having such a terrible time getting treatment and getting it paid for, this can cause stress over and beyond what the microbes cause.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a few Lyme Literate therapists, it can be helpful. One works via Skype so you don't have to leave your home. Email me if you want names; I think pricing is reasonable. All are Lyme survivors.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement