LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » This diet is killing me - for 13 yr old patient

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: This diet is killing me - for 13 yr old patient
sickofsick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29258

Icon 9 posted      Profile for sickofsick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am mother of a 13yr old lyme patient. After many months of putting off beginning, we started her on the Lyme diet (Dr. S, Lyme cookbook). Previously limited sugar & dairy, but continued carbs. She likes carbs! She craves bread, potatoes etc. She does not really like veggies or fish. Doesn't want eggs.

Now strictly doing the diet. I feel like I make a special meal for her a couple times a day. She does have a big appetite at times but suffers constant nausea, so lots of foods don't appeal to her.

Have you noticed how food is really big in our society? Try going on this diet. She can't have what average teen/people eat. No cookies, ice cream, pizza, candy. Almost impossible to eat out. She wants to be well so bad that she is willing to sacrifice.

I know this is really hard for her, but it is hard for me too! [dizzy]

Any suggestions?

Yes, she does have high yeast too. Lyme disease, Q Fever, FL1953.

Lori

Posts: 312 | From Utah | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, a teenager? ~smile~

Is there any good reason for her to be on Dr. S's suggested diet? Other than you want to be the best mom there is, and it appears you are.... and yeast?

Yeast can be addressed by cutting back as you were already doing, and with teas and meds if needed.

It seems at her age it would be an additional torture to her (and you) to do this restrictive diet for only some potential benefits.

It is hard enough being a teen, and then dealing with Lyme, and add to it the misery of that diet too. UGGGGGGG!

If Lyme diets worked to cure Lyme patients, or even to make them a lot better, or speeded up the process it might be something to consider. But they don't.

My opinion is to let her be a kid and don't add to her misery.

The key is MODERATION.

Hope that helps!

[Big Grin]

PS. You can tell her to go ahead now and send the $10.00 she promised me for telling you this stuff.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You say you make special meals for her. The menu in that book is good for everyone.

I know it seems like going upstream but, really, the typical American diet is so very toxic - for everyone.

Packaged and fast foods are highly toxic with so many additives. And that is the addiction. It's the additives that hook us, especially the hidden MSG that lights up the addictive part of our brain like a Christmas tree. MSG had many names, just google. And share with her.

This could be a wonderful opportunity to learn so much. It's been an amazing journey for me and I wish that someone had taught me the real story of food when I was in grade and high school and - especially college. No wonder I never could concentrate. I had no idea of the power of real food.

Jamie Oliver, a chef from England, has had a couple programs here is the states that work with high school cafeterias to bring food alive for kids - so that they may stay alive. Literally.

He makes it simple: do you want to eat poison or do you want to eat real food? And he makes it taste great and makes it easy.

You might look up his web site.

I would not still be alive today had I continued with processed foods. So, first, this might be a wake-up call, a science / biology lesson about nutrients required for human life and all the ways to achieve that - and have it taste great.

My guess is that she would feel better. Maybe not well yet (as lyme, etc. is a huge challenge), but I feel lots better for being gluten-free and sugar-free (THE two most important steps, I think).

I wonder if a group of parents might get together an all agree to lean toward a more healthful approach.

Even on a gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free food plan, there can be many delicious choices.

I will say, though, that veggies are a must for any human who wants to live. We cannot exist without vegetables. Again, there are many choices.

What about finding a local health-minded chef to do some cooking classes for your/her circle of friends, parents and kids alike?

Somehow, the wonder of food needs to come alive for her AND her friends. Finding an expert who has this mastered might be the very key.

Also, organizing small events with various chefs from different cuisines might be a wonderful opportunity to also sample the culture from around the world. Themes can be subtle or more festive with music, colors, etc.

Your local community college or learning centers might also have such classes that your /her friendship and family circles could take together.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW- A certain amount of carbs are needed in the diet. Too often I see people slouch and get stupid for not having enough carbs.

I also think adding to depression at her age is not a good idea. If you cut off all of my pizza and my ice cream, I wouldn't want to live.

Moderation. A pizza ever 2 months and ice cream on Friday nights. I can live with that and it isn't going to kill me by doing it.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Great carbs can come from the thousands of vegetables in the world -- and from seeds and grasses like:

Quinoa, Millet, Buckwheat groats, WILD rice, BLACK rice, etc. . . . many more . . .

Frozen fruits and yogurt can make great "ice cream" with a food processor. Stevia for the sweetness.

There are gluten-free pizza crusts, too. But, if from a pizza restaurant, not all are safe if the flour is flying all around. Calling ahead is helpful.

As for pasta, there are many brands of good gluten-free pasta. Trader Joe's Brown Rice PENNE is a good place to start. The whole family will love it.

===============================

His recipes can be easily adapted for gluten-free:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/

Jamie Oliver

================================

www.celiac.com

Celiac.com
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.vanguardneurologist.com/new-study-links-gluten-sensitivity-to-brain-failure/

Vanguard Neurologist - A Blog by David Perlmutter, MD

New Study Links Gluten Sensitivity to Brain Failure

================================

This author's work can help break the addiction to processed foods:

http://www.naturalnews.com/020550.html

Interview with Dr. Russell Blaylock on devastating health effects of MSG, aspartame and excitotoxins

---------

http://www.russellblaylockmd.com/

Russell Blaylock, MD

Dr. Blaylock is a board certified neurosurgeon, author and lecturer. . . .

His first book: Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills, describes how neurotoxins (in so many processed foods) are related to diseases of the nervous system. . . .

------------

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Excitotoxins%3A+The+Taste+That+Kills&oq=Excitotoxins%3A+The+Taste+That+Kills&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=1531l1531l0l2389l1l1l0l0l0l 0l259l259l2-1l1l0

YouTube

Video lecture - 5 parts:

Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills (Blaylock)

-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I wonder if some of her friends might work with the owners of some of the places they like to go eat?

Jamie Oliver worked with the owner of a burger place in L.A. to change his whole menu to make it more healthful - with great flavor.

Even if the owners carried a few items, that gives the kids better choices and they don't feel left out (or have to always bring their own food when joining others).

Her friends (who have energy) might be able to make this a special project, write about it, video it, etc.

If they all pull together for your daughter, everyone can benefit from this education and better choices - while enjoying the fabulous flavors from all kinds of foods, garden herbs and spices.

Even a a simple yam can be dressed many ways. I love to add ground cardamom, a dash of nutmeg, and walnut oil. Splendid.

Steamed spinach or chard, with a dash of nutmeg and walnut oil becomes something else, too.
-

[ 11-11-2011, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

jackie51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glutino makes a reasonably good GF pizza. I keep those in the freezer and when my daughter goes to a party with pizza, I have her bring one.

There are some pretty good GF pretzels too. Nacho chips are GF.

It gets easier. Sure, ice cream every now and then isn't too bad.

Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a mom of a 24 yr old who has been sick for a while, I would not put her on a strict diet. I agree with TinCup, 100%. There is enough loss with this illness without food too.

Best
Karen

Posts: 1686 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I congratulate your daughter for being strict with her diet. If she doesn't watch what she eats, she will pay heavily later.

I KNOW how hard this diet is and as a teen it is even harder.

For me, the yeast has been nearly impossible to get rid of. I've been rid of Lyme for 7 yrs, but not the yeast.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RubyJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RubyJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The body does not need carbs. It needs a small amount of glucose which the body can manufacture from protein and fat. As others said above, you can get plenty of carbs from non-starchy veggies.

You can have an amino acid (protein) deficiency
You can have a fatty acid (lipid/fat) deficiency
There is no such thing as a carbohydate deficiency.

As for teens - I know it's difficult. The Standard American Diet (SAD) is so carbohydrate heavy. Carbs are addictive and in this country we grow up on them. It's a hard addiction to break. And as Keebler said, MSG and other additives are bad also.

Sometimes with teens, it's better to ease in gradually and not be too restrictive right away. There can be withdrawal symptoms from sugar and starch just like from caffeine. It takes 2-3 weeks to break the sugar/starch habit.

For teens, their tastebuds are different from a child's or an adult's. It takes time to find the right combo of healthy and tasty food that they like.

The good thing is, the longer you avoid sugar, starch, and gluten, the easier it gets.

Little things like being able to eat at a restaurant with your friends can make a difference. Wendy's, Five Guys, Jimmy John's, and Red Robin are just a few places that will serve a burger or other sandwich without bread in a container or wrapped in lettuce. Red Robin has a gluten-free bun.

Make it a fun game to find and try new foods or recipes.

Check out low carb or gluten-free forums. Maybe she can find some other teens to chat with.

A good LC support website is Low Carb Friends www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/

Lots of good recipes (not all are gluten-free or dairy-free)
www.genaw.com/lowcarb/

Search for Low Carb Cook books on Amazon - there are a bunch.

I just got "Paleo Comfort Foods: Homestyle Cooking for a Gluten-Free Kitchen" by Julie and Charles Mayfield

Don't forget she needs lots of good fats. Fat is where the flavor is, it helps keep blood sugar stable, and is good for nerve repair and growth. Olive oil, coconut oil, butter or ghee, or macadamia nut oil are good. Nuts make a great snack. [Smile]

--------------------
"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art" - LaRochefoucauld

Lyme neuro symptoms for 20+ years.
Infected in Maryland.
Diagnosed with Lyme Jan 2011. (previously diagnosed with CFS, Fibro, peripheral neuropathy)

Posts: 261 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Ruby,

You've got me confused! Not hard to do though, so no prize this time! Anyhow....

Can you give me some science documentation to support your statement that:

"The body does not need carbs."

This is confusing because then you say you can get plenty from veggies, etc.

If we don't need carbs, why bother with any?

Thanks!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

RubyJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RubyJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ack, Tincup - if you're confused and I'm confused, then we must be in Lymeland [Big Grin]

short answer on eating low-starch veggies and nuts/seeds: because they taste good and add fiber and variety.

I'm too fogged to give a good scientific arguement tonight, but most of the books listed below reference scientific studies:

"Protein Power LifePlan" by Drs. Eades (they also have a LC cookbook)

"Good Calories, Bad Calories" (difficult to read) or "Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It" (easier to read version of GC,BC)
by Gary Taubes

"What if it was all a big fat lie?" an article by Gary Taubes (google and read online)

"Living Low Carb" by Jonny Bowden

"Life Without Bread" by Dr. Allan and Dr. Lutz

"Know Your Fats" by Dr. Mary Enig

"The Oiling of America" an article by Dr. Mary Enig (google and read online)

A new book (I haven't read yet) "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis

Another book I haven't read: "Art & Science of Low Carb Living" by Volek & Phinney

--------------------
"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art" - LaRochefoucauld

Lyme neuro symptoms for 20+ years.
Infected in Maryland.
Diagnosed with Lyme Jan 2011. (previously diagnosed with CFS, Fibro, peripheral neuropathy)

Posts: 261 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamers
Member # 28016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, these are excellent suggestions. I've been having problems with the diet myself. I think its absolutely necessary to consider a more whole foods diet and get rid of the processed crap. Also, if I skimp on carbs I feel strange, so I think good carbs are necessary.

But keep the sugar almost nonexistent along with white breads/foods. That said, I eat berries if I crave sugar. Rice Krispies makes gluten-free brown rice krispies I eat if Im craving cereal.

Also...has she been checked for H.Pylori? I was recently diagnosed and this is causing my nausea and stomach issues like bloating/burping/indigestion. The treatment is 2 weeks for it and it could help alot.

--------------------
Diagnosed Pos. Lyme Nov. 17, 2010, Igx.
Pos. Babesia Duncani March 2011, Igx.
Clinical diagnosis for Bartonella

Posts: 1127 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlp38     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep in mind that if she can completely eliminate sugar/carbs (including salad dressings, grains and all fruits except strawberries and green apples) the cravings will disappear within a week or two. Once the cravings are gone, you can slowly add back the healthy sugars and the cravings for bread, etc. should stay away.
Posts: 707 | From Colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Ruby!

I went to bed trying to figure out why we need no carbs. I should have just said, "Yo Ruby-what do you mean?"

But all I could come up with at that late hour was "where's the proof?"... which sounded really crabby even to me... so I said "scientific documentation" trying to be polite or politically correct.

Anyhow...

I didn't mean to "drill you", not at all, but am pleased with the references you have!!! Good work, and sorry I put you through all that effort!

Not only will it help me, but others too!

Thanks so much!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say we do not need STARCHY carbs. We need the carbs from complex carbohydrates like green or color vegetables.

We don't need white foods.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Healerdealer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23032

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Healerdealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Sick,

A few years ago, I was in your place. My teenage child was sick with Lyme, yeast, RMSF, etc. He had mostly neurological symptoms and seemed like he was constantly getting stomach viruses.

He was on 9 months of Doryx before the RMSF test came back negative. He was still postive for Lyme. He was good at taking supplements, probiotics but he was depressed and exhausted most of the time.

He also craved carbs so he would eat trail mix with raisins, instead of sugar. I tried to get him to eat a well-balanced diet but all I can say is you do the best you can.

My son's progress was unbelievably slow. His depression was what worried me.

In the meantime, I was being treated for my Lyme symptoms by a holistic dr. and I started to investigate different treatments for my son.

There is a holistic therapy from Germany called Allergie-immun. It regulates your immune system.
Dr. K recommends it.

My son started the therapy a little more than 3 years ago. While he was on the therapy, he stopped taking antibiotics. It took about 9 months of being on the therapy that I noticed a positive change.

He wasn't depressed anymore. He had energy. He could focus better in school.

My holistic dr. never heard of the therapy until I mentioned it to him. He is now recommending it to his patients.

My son finished his therapy almost two years ago. He had blood work and everything was normal. His CD-57 was normal.

He is in college now and is still in remission.

The point I'm trying to make is that sometimes you have to go out on a limb, especially when it comes to your family.

Before my holistic dr., I saw a conventional LLMD - who was very good. This is the dr. I brought him to for the Lyme diagnose.

But the antibiotic therapy was just taking too long. And this dr. was constantly finding more problems to treat and for a teenager, that is alot to handle.

My whole family has been on the Allergie-immun drops and we have benefited by it. All our allergies are gone and we all feel great.

Just something to think about.

Healer
http://[email protected]

Posts: 163 | From New Jersey | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
t9im
Member # 25489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t9im   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi sickofsick:

With a teenager it is difficult.

Probably the one item to remember is wheat products adversely impact the body's functions and still leave a person relatively craving for food a short while after eating.

Then of course there is sugar. Another product to limit in the diet.

Cutting down on those two will go a long way towards helping one's body fight the disease.

It took a few months to move our daugher to a gluten free and strict limit on sugar. We were fortunate in that our daugher didn't do any type of soda's b/4 this started.

We removed the restrictions after an adverse side effect of the tindamax.

--------------------
Tim

Posts: 1111 | From Glastonbury, CT | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

sickofsick.. Did you see this?

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/112610

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

sickofsick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29258

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickofsick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the responses! Now I have a few new articles to read... It is so good to have your support.

Tincup, you made me laugh!

To fill in some gaps: Our journey began down the gastro direction due to her nausea, stomach pain, and supposed constipation. She had an endoscopy that showed negative for h pylori and celiac disease. Got lyme diagnosis a couple of months later.

She has been amazing sticking to this diet. At the beginning, I was making a salmon recipe that put sauteed onions on the top. When I asked her if she wanted onions, I was surprised she did and wanted more than I was making. For a couple of days she sauteed three more onions for herself!

It is possible that she is experiencing some positive changes as it seems her cravings and hunger are decreasing.

She is probably handling this better than I am!

Posts: 312 | From Utah | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It took me years to figure out that what I had for food intake helped me feel worse.

I try to follow the if it is white it ain't right food intake.

I can not do white rice, pizza wasn't something I could do for years before being dx. I would get a migraine every time.

I do the Green Giant frozen mixed vegies. (Only one store in town carries them)

I just pop them in the microwave and have a bowl when able.

When I discovered Udi GF bread...the one raisins that I toast for breakfast and another kind that I toast for sandwhiches...I was happy to have bread in my diet again.

Can't recall the one brand I use for bread. i do recall it took me several tries to find a GF brand I liked.

I do have a mix to make bread but don't have the ability to make it.

I also use GF pasta when I am able to boil water and have spaghetti.

And I have some GF mixes for muffins but waiting until health allows me to make them.

I tried the GF cookie mix. That didn't work. I assume due to the sugar in the mix. I just know I had the inflamed brain thing afterwards...bad symptom.

I have noticed that some do fine eating what they want with lyme disease.

I don't. I have to stay away from white rice, pasta, potaotes, sugar, flour, etc.

I have goat's milk instead of regular milk. Each time I try to go back to regular milk I feel worse again.

Every once and awhile I have the GF cookies.

And GF crackers.

I still have times when I decide it would be OK to have something I haven't had in a long time.

Went to the store and purchased an ice cream bar awhile back. Wrong.

OK Brain and vision are going. don't know if I mentioned that some with lyme seem to be OK with having these things in their diet.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement