LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Got any fond memories??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Got any fond memories??
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make them brief so we don't get bogged down!! Think Twitter! (haha..not that brief-- maybe 50 words or less?)

--

Building treehouses on the land where I was Lymed. (bittersweet) .. I loved climbing trees!

[ 01-26-2012, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sailing.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never known you to be so brief!! [Eek!] [lol]

-

Helping my dad harvest our strawberries.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<<<<< Lymetoo >>>>>,

Going camping , or staying at my maternal Grandmas,the 'fun' grandma , it was like camping in a 3 bdrm. cabin, anytime of year if we could go there. But w/ lots of food and goodies, a sewing machine, and her driving us to interesting historical sites !!!

Jus' Silverwolfi

--------------------
2006,May-August2006 Dx w/ Lyme/Bartonella/White Matter Lesion Disease on Brain.
[ Clinical Dx w/ two positives and several IND's on the tests from Igenex ], Prior Dx of CFIDS/CEBV 1992, and FMS '93-'94
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Posts: 3581 | From SE Idaho | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
playing on montalk sand...

climbing trees in connecticut woods...

running my riding and swimming summer camp in nys...

until i noticed the ticks i was scraping off the horses. its been downhill since then. but i never saw a tick on montalk or ct...

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimmy1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimmy1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eating cottage cheese and fruit.

Posts: 251 | From Florida | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by jimmy1:
Eating cottage cheese and fruit.

-

-

YOU MADE ME LAUGH HARDER THAN I HAVE ALL WEEK!!!!

(see the exercise thread if you want to get the joke)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TuTu said... "I've never known you to be so brief!!

That post above may be funny Tutu, but you're certainly not!

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I'm not funny?!? [rant] [Eek!]

-

Tincup... a fond MEMORY [Razz]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

OHHH...everyone here is too YOUNG to have memories!! [Razz]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking about this last night Lymetoo. I debated if I should share this memory or not because it is so precious to me.

At my last job, I had a brand new mom tell me that she hoped her children grew up to be just like me.

She told me this as I was admiring her beautiful new born baby girl and was chatting happily with her beautiful 2.5yr old daughter who I already dearly loved.

I remember feeling so humbled, and honored, and shocked, and overwhelmed, all at the same time. Tears filled my eyes.

The mom continued. She said that she had hoped that this baby would look more like her, (the mom had dark brown hair and dark brown eyes) but the baby was born with light golden blond hair and bright blue eyes like the older sister.

The mom said that when she looked at her children she thought that they looked just like me. She hoped that they would turn out like me sweet and gentle hearted, smart and beautiful, ... (my mind blocked out the rest of her words because I was bawling at that point). I hugged the little girl tight.

Of course the funny thing is, I loved that family. Their oldest daughter Clara had always been one of my favorites. I always told them she was so beautiful and sweet and smart and fun... I enjoyed seeing their family, talking with them, helping them when I could.

And here the mom was giving me the biggest compliment in the world. I will never ever forget that day.

Those girls are her children and I told her that they do resemble her whether she could see it then or not. The color of their eyes and hair may be different but when I looked at them I still saw her features in their faces. Their sweet gentle spirits and manners were directly from her. Part of why I enjoyed the kids so much was because they had such a good mom and dad.

The mom gave me a gift that day and I can only hope that maybe I helped to open her eyes too.

Oh, I posted and saw that this turned out longer than I thought. Let me know what you think and I'll edit it to make it shorter or erase. Sorry all!

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pony rides on sunday afternoons...3 times around for a quarter

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

That was beautiful, sammy!! Do not even THINK about editing!! Such a sweet compliment .. and I believe your friend was so right!!

kayak.. I remember pony rides .. and the ones where you went round and round in a circle!

I also rode an elephant once and a giant tortoise!! Seriously! They don't let you do those things anymore (esp the tortoise!)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many...

Large family football games in the field on Sunday afternoons when I was a kid.

Hiking up the mountain that my grandparents owned on Sunday afternoons with our extended family...we packed a lunch and sat on logs to eat it.

After the great flood of 1972 "Agnes", I spent many days digging earthworms and nightcrawlers with my cousin, Dave, to sell to our local bait shop. We lived near Pine Creek and after the flood waters subsided, there was so much topsoil left on the banks.

We earned $20 in a day selling those worms, which was soooo much money to a 12 yr old back then.

During the flood of 1972, we were stranded in our homes because the roads were flooded. We spent alot of time with extended family eating peanut butter and jelly because we could not get to a store.

My paternal grandmother influenced me alot. She was a devout woman who died in her 50's. She opened her door to a homeless man and fed him.

HUGE Christmas eve dinner and party at my maternal grandparent's home every year. Lots of family there. My grandparents bought presents for everyone, which always amazed me. They would set a table that must have seated at least 20 people and use candleabras (sp?) and gold flatware...it looked so elegant to me as a child.

My dad took my sister and I fishing, entered us in fishing rodeos, taught us to shoot bow and arrows, and to shoot a gun.

I loved to go shopping with my Mom and grandmother as a little girl. We would go in a cafeteria type restaurant and I would always get custard as a treat.

I always adored my first pastor as a child...he was a dear old gentle man who told great stories.

My cousins, sister and I spent many hours outside playing hide and seek.

In the summer when I was a young teen, we would sleep outside on my grandparents tennis court and look up at the night sky.

I could go on and on I think.

sammy....loved your precious memory....she was right too!!! : )

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Sweet memories, Dekrator!

My brother and I used to sell mistletoe door to door at Christmas time. We made a killing with that! I have no idea how much money, but virtually no one had access to mistletoe in Houston. (we got it from our land 90 miles away)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Dekrator..funny you mentioned the floods from 1972. Must have been a bad year for floods. We had a horrible flash flood in the town where I was going to college in May '72. About 30 people were killed.

We were high and dry, but we had the opportunity to help many people clean what remained of their houses. Some houses were completely gutted. I saw a piano picked up by a bulldozer and dumped into a truck. Sad to this musician!!

We got out of finals for helping our community. We could take the final if we needed to, but I was thrilled to get out of that.. [Wink]

I remember helping clean a kitchen. I was cleaning the cabinets and then reached up to wipe the top of the cabinet door, only to find it FULL of mud! (Way at the top near the ceiling!) I had to start all over.

I have a healthy respect for RAIN and floods.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great idea about the mistletoe, Lymetoo!

Also great that you could help others after the flooding.

I can relate about he clean-up. My Aunt and Uncle's house lifted up off the foundation and floated away.

My grandparents had a large antique shop and an authentic Old Country Store that they had just finished furnishing with antiques, penny candy cases filled with penny candy, a totem pole...all sorts of really old stuff...it was so unique..just like you were walking into a store in about 1900.

They had probably 8 feet of water and most of the antiques floated away. We shoveled mud for many weeks. It was pretty sad, but everyone banded together.

--------------------

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

That's sad! Yes, I saw some places where there was nothing left but the foundation. It's amazing what water can do.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

momindeep
Member # 7618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momindeep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Playing outside in the summer with the neighborhood kids playing kick the can to all hours.

Roasting marshmallows over the campfires we had at various campsites...

Exploring Yellowstone Park and hiking miles to fishing holes probably some not even on the map back then...well, perhaps?

Sleeping in our tent...smelling bacon frying over the fire and not wanting to get out of my warm sleeping bag.

My braids.

How much my parents loved me.

Posts: 1512 | From Glenwood City WI | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

momindeep...funny...I also remember smelling bacon frying when we went camping and not wanting to get out of my warm sleeping bag...lol!!

Maybe we were camping in the same places!

--------------------

sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone, please keep sharing, I'm so enjoying reading your good memories [Smile]

My family only went on one camping trip together to lake Michigan. We went with our cousins. Best part of the trip was learning that my father is terrified of raccoons (he still is...). We kids got in trouble every night for mimicking raccoon noises in our tent causing dad to freak out in the camper because he thought that the raccoons were coming to carry him away or something... It was hilarious!

That camping trip was full of craziness. My dad, cousin, and I spent a day lost in the dunes. We were supposed to follow a state park pathway but my cousin said he knew a better "special trail". My dad thought that it sounded like a good idea. It was not.

So we followed my 10yr old cousin into the dunes and got very lost. In the sand. It was hot. Those dunes were steep, and endless, at least they were to me at 9yrs old!

I knew my dad had no sense of direction and my cousin was the one that got us hopelessly lost. So our only hope of us getting out of the dunes was for me to find the beach. You would have thought that we had been lost for a week! We were all so happy to see that beach [Smile]

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really enjoyed traveling. Just visiting any area at all.

Interesting memories: how about the time I visited my grandmother in the midwest - we were driving through Indiana, we stopped off at a cornfield stand,

and there was this strange animal - cat in the front part, rabbit in the back. Coarser hair in the front, finer in back.

It pounced in front and hopped in the back. It had a very truncated meiuw - pronounced very quickly. The farmers said there was a twin that got away. I think this animal could be called a crabbit (cat-rabbit).

Out of the country: being shown the little things that folks in the area knew about, like the little secret holes in castles where guards spied on everyone, and so we got to do it too, to the tourists!

Getting to see several layers of history in areas, like 4 different eras in Rome all stacked up on top of one another.

Being shown all the dart clubs in Devon, drink celery and other kinds of vegie wine, ride a water elevator up and down the outer cliffs in southern England (dump the tank water out to rise, fill tank to go down),

witness a giant vegetable contest in Scotland, see and listen to the amazing sound of 250 bagpipers parading down the main thoroughfare in Edinburgh,

trying to understand everyone's conversation, in English, in a hostel room with 8 English speakers from 8 different English-speaking countries...

I could go on and on about the surprises of a good trip...

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimmy1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimmy1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robin, reading your wonderful adventures brought back a memory for me...

We were in London and had just returned to our hotel after an evening out. The lobby bar was filled with people ... mostly older ladies and gentlemen from England, Scotland and Wales, who were there for a folk-singing competition. All these marvelous faces, gathered around the piano, singing Barbara Allen and It's A Long Way to Tipperary. I fought back the tears when they broke into White Cliffs of Dover.

Incredible.

Posts: 251 | From Florida | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

MominTX... I LOVE Yellowstone! Been there twice. My dream is to go again and take my husband who has never been there.

We waited 4 hrs TWICE to see Grand Geyser. Most do not wait because the wait is usually so long. But it is GRAND!! Bigger than Old Faithful and lasts 20+ minutes! Awesome!

Would loved to have seen Steamboat Geyser, but that would be by pure luck. No schedule on that one.

We used to go camping in Minnesota with family friends. My dad and the other dad were in WWII together.. best buddies.

TWELVE [8 kids] of us camping at Lake Itasca (tons of HUGE raccoons, sammy!!) and at Gooseberry Falls on Lake Superior. That is an incredible place!

sammy.. tell your dad that my last school had raccoons as their mascot! [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thx, Jimmy - yes, the love of singing there. I remember times when everyone would pass out drunk afterwards! And how about some of those oldentime instruments - bones, pennywhistles, etc.

Family memories - like storytelling with my sisters at the dinner table. Each evening, one of us would present a very short report about a topic of our choosing.

I remember my youngest once going on and on describing items that weren't there in the picture, like I think she was mentioning candy canes.

When we asked her where they were in the picture, she replied they weren't showing. She is now an atty and has to deal with evidence - ha!

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dad raised me from 7 years on. He was the sweetest, kindest, most loving father.

I wish I could have just five minutes with him. I know he will be there to greet me in heaven.

I enjoyed every second with him. We would play cards after I came in from dates, he taught me to drive-while gripping the dashboard. We would drive across country and he would let me drive. He could fill a cup with coffee from his thermos-while never taking his eyes of the road!! he took me fishing, but said I talked too much and scared the fish away

I tried to take as much from him when I parented. Think I fell short, but what a wonderful example God gave me. He did have a mean stink eye that usually kept me in line....

Sorry to take so much space...

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

I'm loving hearing everyone's good memories..and laughing at the raccoon story,sammy.

Very sweet, Dogsandcats...so wonderful to have a great dad.

I loved ice skating on frozen Pine Creek in the winter as a child. I marveled at how my Dad could do what I think would be called a "single axle" (jump, spin and land on your one foot).

I learned how to skate backwards too and was so proud of that...lol.

After ice skating we would warm up with hot cocoa.

My cousin Cindy and I would go walking into the "ripples" in Pine Creek in the summer. We would pack peanut butter and pickle sandwiches and eat them on a rock in the Creek.

When my grandparents had their antique shop, they sold "stewart sandwiches" to customers. Stewart sandwishes were prepackaged sandwiches that you would pop into a small toaster-like oven to heat.

My cousins and I would eat a few sandwiches here and there that we didn't pay for and my grandparents were always asking "Who is eating all the sandwiches????" We didn't usually 'fess up...but they knew the truth.

Each year we went on vacation, usually somewhere on the east coast, always traveling by car.

Before seat belts were in use, my Mom made a bed on the floor of the back seat using rolled up sleeping bags and blankets for one of us, while the other slept on the back seat, since we left early...about 4 am for a loooooong ride.

--------------------

AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AuntyLynn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ice skating on the back yard rink after dinner in the dark - frosty breath and stars overhead.

Body surfing the Atlantic on a bright summer's day.

Campfires and camp songs under the Perseids.

Christmas Eve Service in candlelight.

Posts: 1432 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimmy1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33504

When we were really young, we'd go on family vacations in the station wagon. My mom would pack up the ice chest with little cans of apple juice and teeny glass bottles of Welch's grape juice.

To this day, seeing little cans of juice gives me that vacation-time thrill.

randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
staying up all night with my mom and listening to stories of my ancestors and watching country music channel. she loved the grand ole opry.

i heard stories nobody in the family has ever heard.

she just wanted attention.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I hear ya, jimmy!!

While on vacations, Mom always had a comic book for each of us. ( 3 of us ) A new one each day, then we'd exchange. We looked forward to those each day!!

We also got a little toy .. not sure it was everyday, but it was quite often. I remember playing with them in the motel rooms.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

jimmy1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33504

http://www.lileks.com/motels/index.html

Tutu and gang, you may get a kick out of this website. Piles and piles of pictures of hotels and motels back in the day. A delightful time-waster.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Those were amazing! I clicked on Arizona since we traveled from Houston to Los Angeles, then to Yellowstone on a trip in 1959.

We're bound to have stayed in some of these motels! Maybe we stayed at the "Valley Ho!" [lol]

here's our car:

http://www.lileks.com/motels/AZ/7.html

the 1955 Chevy .. but ours was 2 door and green

Read the comments the guy makes on these motels. Hilarious!

PS.. They had a blurb from someone's postcard that read in part "It was 106 in Yuma and we went to Knott's Berry Farm." Ditto for our trip, but I think I remember it was 110 in Yuma. (Knott's Berry is in CA)

[ 01-31-2012, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

jimmy1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33504

Isn't that website just a blast?!

We grew up in southern California and used to have birthday parties at Knotts Berry Farm. This was way back, when they had just a few little rides, a petting zoo, and some historical diorama-type exhibits. We'd have fried chicken and boysenberry pie. Such fun!

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Then you know how to properly say "Knott's Berry Farm!" heehee

I was there in 1959 ..oops.. need to correct the date above.

-

Oh.. and I got a kick out of "refrigerated rooms" .. yep, I remember that! We loved staying in motels with "kitchenettes".. saved a lot of money. No microwaves back then.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Robin123
Member # 9197

Hey, back then, a glass of milk was 5 cents, and doctors made housecalls.

A restaurant in the area recently celebrated its 50th and decided to serve a menu with 50s prices. What fun that was to have an entree for a dollar and sides for 20 cents, and drinks for a dime.

A couple walked in later on in the evening, sat down next to me, and evidently missed the fact that it was the 50th and prices were rolled back.

They leaned toward me and asked if prices were always this cheap in San Francisco. I said yes. Ha!

Lymetoo
Member # 743

When I was five I had pleurisy. Had a housecall from our doctor. Yep.

Watching Dr Phil today... Donny Osmond...

Memory.. Met him about 7 yrs ago. WAY better looking in person than I expected. WOW! I got my pic taken with him. I put my arm around his waist and he put his around mine. I still remember the feel of his suede jacket.

My heart beats faster as I remember!! [lol] [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

penguingirl
Member # 28688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Playing my clarinet! I was pretty good too!
Damn tonsillectomy ruined it!

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1204 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement