LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » On ABC's 20/20, Friday May 18, An Interview With a Teen With Chronic Lyme Disease

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: On ABC's 20/20, Friday May 18, An Interview With a Teen With Chronic Lyme Disease
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be sure to tune in or record it!

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
outerspace1226
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for outerspace1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the heads up, dvr is set
Posts: 147 | From youngstown | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting this. Do you know if there is a description anywhere? I could not find one.

On their site, it says the show is about a boy with seizures. Maybe they have two stories.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sammi,

Here is a link:

http://lymedisease.org/news/touchedbylyme/lyme-teen-2020.html

--------------------

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gonna DVR it! Thanks Dekrator!

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6167 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Dekrator48!
Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone checked out her blog? I'm not sure what to make of the Canadian accent that comes out sometimes as part of her illness. This is the first I'm hearing of such a thing with Lyme.

She actually provides a youtube link of her reading to her mother with the accent. I know I've slurred speach at times but it almost seems like she's got multiple personality or something?

I hope 20/20 does a good job portraying everything. The girl seems very very ill. I plan on tuning in. It seems things are starting to change little by little. We are being heard more and more.

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But she LIVES in NH!!! What's the dif?? Wouldn't she be around a lot of people from Canada? We often have "regional" dialects or accents.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But the accent is apparently something that switches on and off.

If you check out all the youtube links on her blogspot you'll see what I mean. Her mom says when her symptoms flare she gets the Canadian accent again but isn't something she has all the time.

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

"What's the dif?"-I was just trying to figure out this Lyme symptom and was wondering if anyone had any input on it and if it's a common thing b/c I haven't heard of it before.
tickled1
Member # 14257

I read more about it on her blogspot. She herself doesn't know what to make of the accent from what I can tell. She says it's something that comes out when symptoms are especially bad and a cross between Canadian and German accent. She says she normally has a "Yankee" accent and I get the impression she doesn't know where this accent is coming from.

I want to read her blog in more detail when I have some more time. Glad to see she was able to make it to her prom! Hope I don't forget to watch tomorrow....

Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember to watch tonight!

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by tickled1:
"What's the dif?"-I was just trying to figure out this Lyme symptom and was wondering if anyone had any input on it and if it's a common thing b/c I haven't heard of it before.

-
I was just saying there couldn't be that much difference in the accents.. but yes, it is indeed strange.

I could swear I've heard of something similar though... maybe it wasn't Lyme though.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Muscle Car55
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Muscle Car55     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tickled1:
Has anyone checked out her blog? I'm not sure what to make of the Canadian accent that comes out sometimes as part of her illness. This is the first I'm hearing of such a thing with Lyme.

To me I don't see it as an accent, but some sort of slow speech impediment having a hard time trying to sound out words. Strokes can do this as well. Or people that just learned a new language. It's like the brain is trying to relearn English. All in all this is the way it's affected her and sounds like a Russian accent. Other people like the girl in under our skin her speech was slown down a lot more and sounded like she's autistic. We all know how lyme affects us differently, because everyone does have a different body and Lyme strains.

It makes me wonder if ABC actually picked her just because of the accent so they can monopolize on it for ratings. Anything odd the media loves!!!

Posts: 267 | From MI | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been exactly like the girl depicted on the 20/20 show. It's called "accent voice", and yes, it is one of the more rare manifestations of severe neuroborreliosis. I'm going to research it right now and get back to you.

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

You know what, before I got diagnosed I remember someone referred to me as "the girl with the accent". I remember being horrified at the time. My mouth didn't want to work right at times and I thought I was covering it up pretty well.

Anyway, I thought it was a good show but just like the Dr. Phil show the girl was made to feel like she had to defend herself and prove herself. I'm so sick of that! So sick of everyone accusing us of faking!

lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's very easy to research on google - "foreign accent voice". Caused by brain injury or disease. It's not as rare as they claim it is.

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

It's very easy to research on google - "foreign accent voice". Caused by brain injury or disease. It's not as rare as they claim it is.

--------------------
I want to be free

lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

It isn't fake, either, or caused by multiple personality disorder. It appears when I'm tired or have seizure activity. Likely based somewhere in the cerebellum.

--------------------
I want to be free

outerspace1226
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for outerspace1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She has infections, that show up in her blood. She has seizures and can't walk..

How does that qualify her to be be on a show "Medical Mysteries" with people who eat rocks and cant stand the sound of someone opening a bag of Lays?

It's science, not a mystery. Just the fact that the CDC subscribes to incorrect treatment doesn't make it a mystery.

I thought the whole special was terribly done and very much minimizing peoples suffering.

Posts: 147 | From youngstown | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched this tonite - sounded like her speech was affected by Lyme in the brain -

I agree with Tickled - again, we watched someone with Lyme accused of faking it. She handled the question very well, saying she would much rather be healthy.

When are these TV interviewers ever going to learn to respect an illness and the people with the illness?

Posts: 13117 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

After hearing her speak with the accent during the interview it was very clear that she was lucid but just couldn't control what her mouth was doing.

I think she handled herself very well but I agree that this is no "medical mystery". It is due to an infection. The other disorders on the show they weren't able to give a reason for the disorder so they were mysteries but hers was no mystery.

RDaywillcome
Member # 21454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RDaywillcome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a clip from 20/20.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/video/lyme-disease-teen-speech-accent-disorder-health-2020-16383888?tab=9482930§ion=1206863&playlist=16384040

Posts: 1738 | From over the rainbow | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TxCoord
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TxCoord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The young lady was great, the show was disappointing.

I realize they do not have the time to go in depth on things, but this was skewed and almost like "bubblegum" music. We did appreciate that they mention "co-infections".

When will one of these "investigative" shows devote the entire 42 minutes (+ commercials) to this plague?

When will someone on a big 3 channel address the controversy?

You want to know when? When someone develops a cure and markets it. Watch and see. IMO

--------------------
I have a good time wherever I go!

Posts: 665 | From Lost Wages, NV | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beinsf
Member # 37597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beinsf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not an M.D., however I was a pre-med student (and a text book devotee) before my illness progressed.
Her condition was one that we focused very intently on during a class entitled, "The neurology of speech".
"Foreign accent syndrome" is an unfortunate name as although it may sound like an accent, it is more closely defined as an impediment. The corpus callosum (which allows the left hemisphere to communicate with the right) , the left pariental lobe and left frontal lobe are all brain areas known to be associated with this condition. Lesions that present there disallow the patient to control the flow and tone of their voice. So, it makes great sense that neurological damage caused by this bacteria could cause these symptoms. And fMRI would help anyone with this issue to diagnose it's accuracy (if in question!). It is also interesting and not surprising that patients with closed TBI's (traumatic brain injury) as well as Parkinsons and other neuro- degenerative disorders can occasionally present with this symptom. Recently the first M.S. patient with "Foreign Accent Syndrome" was acknowledged to have developed this condition secondary to her MS.
Bottom line- that smug reporter should have done a tad bit of homework, but good for that young lady for maintaining her poise. Perhaps a simple MRI read by a competent physician would help.Poor girl- tremors and pain and now she has to defend herself.

Posts: 6 | From PA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by beinsf:
[QB] I am not an M.D., however I was a pre-med student (and a text book devotee) before my illness progressed.

Her condition was one that we focused very intently on during a class entitled, "The neurology of speech".

"Foreign accent syndrome" is an unfortunate name as although it may sound like an accent, it is more closely defined as an impediment.

The corpus callosum (which allows the left hemisphere to communicate with the right) , the left pariental lobe and left frontal lobe are all brain areas known to be associated with this condition.

Lesions that present there disallow the patient to control the flow and tone of their voice. So, it makes great sense that neurological damage caused by this bacteria could cause these symptoms.

And fMRI would help anyone with this issue to diagnose it's accuracy (if in question!).

It is also interesting and not surprising that patients with closed TBI's (traumatic brain injury) as well as Parkinsons and other neuro- degenerative disorders can occasionally present with this symptom.

Recently the first M.S. patient with "Foreign Accent Syndrome" was acknowledged to have developed this condition secondary to her MS.

Bottom line- that smug reporter should have done a tad bit of homework, but good for that young lady for maintaining her poise.

Perhaps a simple MRI read by a competent physician would help.Poor girl- tremors and pain and now she has to defend herself.

Breaking this up for easier reading for many here - thx for posting this info -

Posts: 13117 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
outerspace1226
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34274

The problem is, it seems they are purposely showing people with uncharacteristic lyme symptoms...Leading people to believe "I don't talk with an accent, I must not have lyme."

How about showing the typical lyme sufferer. Someone who is sick as hell, in pain, and exhausted everyday.

lipanz
Member # 13788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lipanz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by outerspace1226:
She has infections, that show up in her blood. She has seizures and can't walk..

How does that qualify her to be be on a show "Medical Mysteries" with people who eat rocks and cant stand the sound of someone opening a bag of Lays?

It's science, not a mystery. Just the fact that the CDC subscribes to incorrect treatment doesn't make it a mystery.
I thought the whole special was terribly done and very much minimizing peoples suffering.

REPLY:

I agree with you as I actually said the same thing to my sister. Your right Lyme d. is no medical mystery- stupid. Then that same BS as was on Dr. Phil show question "Are you faking it?"

By the way those people with the what I call sound sensitivity is also a symptom of lyme disease. Can be mild in some cases. But severe in others. I read book Twice an Angel of the young girl from Ohio who died from Lyme, when she was in hospital, the sound of the vaccum sweeper in the hall made her scream. Her name Jennifer Umpress I believe.
I have had some sound sensitivity a few times, not bad tho. Like in a restaurant, the clunking of the dishes etc. and the people talking irritating, and mostly the lady newscasters, some of them their voices just cut into one, very irritating. I agree with you. Stupid Lyme a mystery illness. They are making it a mystery illness. The lady who ate the rocks, stones..hard to believe really.hmmmm. One would also think it would preforate her intestine.Hard to believe, nutty.

Posts: 35 | From PA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unsure445
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15962

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unsure445     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any time the word Lyme disease is out there with a depiction of severe/strange symptoms is a really great thing.

And it is happening more and more these days. Yay!!!!

--------------------
unsure445

Posts: 824 | From northeast | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pantera73
Member # 29752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pantera73     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Attention Smug reporters!!!
Why dont you pick on someone your own size? Never met any of you personally, but I bet a few of you wouldn't maintain their poise. I'm 6ft7 and well over 200 lbs. and getting healthier, call me up to interview, almost decked a few dr s in my day. Just saying what some of you cant say or are thinking. LYME WARRIOR "LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!!""" ~ VOLBEAT F the skeptics

--------------------
NWOODS WI/ bit May08 diagnosed Jul08 Lyme
March 09 symptoms return Ehrlichiosis pos.no Lyme?
Feb 11 CD57=26 Mycoplasma 343 Babesia 55.2 HHV6 5.8
WB CDC POSITIVE 31++ 39+ 41++ 58++ 66+ 83+
WB IGG POSITIVE 31++ 34 IND 39 IND 41++ 58++

Posts: 55 | From the Lyme Mine | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cockapoo1996
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cockapoo1996     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leave a reply here:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012/05/18/teen-blames-russian-accent-violent-seizures-on-lyme-disease/#comment-1555441

Posts: 472 | From New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

um.... how do rocks go down the toilet? Inquiring minds want to know. (let's hope they get TO the toilet)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

outerspace1226
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34274

I don't know but slate has to give one heartburn.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement