LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Help the Lyme community, do a newspaper article

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help the Lyme community, do a newspaper article
cozynana
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cozynana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Through the encouragement of the LDUC to put a press release in our local newspaper written by the president, Judith Weeg I approached our local newspaper to run the press release. They said they would not run the press release, but would do a personal story on me and Lyme disease. I was very uneasy at first. I thought about it and decided, no, people need to read about this. So I did an interview. Most of it was about Lyme and symptoms with a bit about my story. I was very pleased and have had many people stop me on the street (live in a small town) and say they had no clue it was here or that they could get it. One guy even said he wanted me to talk to his wife because she had a bite and the red ring a year ago and not doing well. I was not shunned, but was taken seriously. I had a call yesterday from a gal who had read the article. Her husband is in the hospital with a bite of some kind that had made him very sick. The PA wants to check him for Lyme. She was calling for the Igenex phone number. It worked!!!! I educated the public. A challenge to all. Can you do the same? My friend in Salina, Ks has now done the same and will come out very some in the Salina Journal newspaper. I am not tooting my horn. I think we have a responsibility to be proactive here and do our part to help others. As we have all read, there is a movement going on right now to have aLyme bill passed in congress. Lets get on the bandwagon and help the awareness of the terrible disease.
Posts: 620 | From Ks | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations. You may have saved some people from chronic lyme, or at least helped them find a diagnosis.

Patients have been doing this over the years and had the same experience you had.

Reporters seem to want personal stories, rather than big picture issue stories (or when they do the latter, they too often quote the wrong "experts.")

The main thing is not to use any lyme doctors names in those interviews/stories.

Another useful thing to do is donate lyme books to the local library, if they allow this, or ask the librarian to purchase some specific books for their collection. I found my diagnosis by going to the library where a local support group had placed a lyme book. Later, in another town, I suggested getting specific titles for the library, and they bought 6 copies of one!!

[ 07-14-2012, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: poppy ]

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cozynana
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cozynana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poppy, Thanks for the insight.

I will see if I can get our librarian to get some Lyme books.

I live in a very small town with an excellent library.

I did include the website of ILADS and LUDC in the newspaper story.

Posts: 620 | From Ks | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've done a couple of newspaper stories for my local paper. Many people called for more information and I was happy to give it. I certainly hope I've helped more than one person get help. [Smile]

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cozynana
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34270

lymelady, So glad to hear others are doing the stories in the newspapers. I think that if everyone of us would do these we could gradually get the public educated and maybe the mainstream med. would see there is a bigger issue than just two weeks of antibiotics and say we are well.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement