LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Anyone a "juicer"?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone a "juicer"?
NEMOM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEMOM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just purchased a juicer and I am hoping to start drinking fresh juice everyday.

Does anyone else do this and do you think it has made a difference in your health/recovery?

Any favorite recipes?

Posts: 131 | From Nebraska | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Off the top of my head, what I learned along the way.

You might want to add a bit of sea salt.

Better to have a little juice many times a day than a lot of juice all at once.

Use a lot of cucumbers & celery to help stretch out carrots & beets. Other watery veggies, too.

Pull most of the strings off the celery before you juice if they trip up the machine.

GINGER is fabulous in most veggies juices. Just a little bit. Use a micro- tool to get a little bit so you don't get chucks.

Always consume some fat and protein with your juice. This is important to keep the glycemic index balanced and to help carry you through

Fat and protein are especially important when you have any fruits in with your veggies. The DARK BERRIES are best with a lower glycemic index. And Blue Berries contain chromium which helps balance blood sugar.

Also good to add back in some of the fiber from the collection bin. You can also keep some in the fridge and add to soups at the last minute.

That fiber is excellent for our colon and that also helps our liver to capture toxins and move it on out.

Keep the serving to a cup or less. No more. There is no need for giant sized servings -- unless you have a whole lot of watery veggies and also some water.

One 8-ounce cup of juice is about all your body can absorb at one time, anyway. More than that can create a sugar rush and then a drop later.

If you want more in your cup, add small ice cubes, more watery veggies or water into the mix.

But, that is also why it's good to have fat and protein with the juice as it's become a simple carbohydrate just by juicing.

Gotta "complex" that up again with fiber, fat & protein. NUTS are the best way to do that as nuts give you fiber, fat and protein. There are at least 80 varieties of nuts.

HEMP protein powder also supplies some good fat and fiber. That's the best, IMO.

If you add HEMP or other PROTEIN POWDER, then go for a larger glass, up to 16 ounces.

Whey does not work well with veggies or fruits. Whey is best alone, not even put through any blender.

ROTATE - don't stick with the exact same foods each day, day in and day out.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Your fat and protein need not be at the same time that you enjoy a glass of fresh juice. It could be beforehand . . . just so it's in your body to help receive the juice and help keep it steady.

I mentioned above to not put whey in with your juice. Here's why:

Regarding WHEY, WHY NOT to mix with certain other things and why not to use a blender:

ImmunoPro Rx

- a biologically non-denatured whey protein containing high levels of lactoferrin, immunoglobulins, active peptides and growth factors. * It contains an exceptional amount of covalent bonded cysteine, the critical precursor for the production of glutathione. *

ImmunoPro� is not a by-product of cheese manufacture, which denatures the whey protein components.

It is GMO-free, and is from hormone treatment-free, disease-free, pesticide-free, chemical-free, natural grass pasture-fed cows.

https://www.prohealth.com/shop/product.cfm/product__code/N056

ImmunoPro Rx

Excerpt:

What is the best solution to mix it in?

Purified water is the best liquid to thoroughly mix ImmuneProRx�.

Use a sealable container to shake it, or a manual eggbeater.

**** Do NOT use an electric blender. ****

The whey proteins are easily denatured through heat and pH change. Mixing the whey protein with any other types of food can induce a pH change and slow the transit time in the stomach through its digestive response to the solid food.

Liquids that are not neutral in their pH can also denature the proteins, for example: most fruit juices, coffee, and tea.

By following the above guide, the uptake of the undenatured protein fractions in the upper small intestine is optimized. A small amount of Stevia is an acceptable sweetener, if desired, for palatability. . . .

- Much more detail at link above.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Depending upon your juicer, CABBAGE may be more difficult to put through. Do that first - or wrap a cabbage leaf around a carrot and push through together.

I had a hard time with juicing kale because it was so dry. Same as with cabbage, wrap the kale around a carrot or beet slice -- or better yet -- with celery or cucumber.

There are some good books that have other tips. Be sure to read the instructions and recipe guide for your juicer.

I never liked to that as I don't read instructions or recipes very well -- but I found out later on that there were some good tips in how to move through certain veggies.

Depending upon your model, you MAY be able to make NUT MILKS. If so, you can make a little nut milk first, then add blueberries and celery and cucumber for a very nice drink.

A tiny bit of stevia (from a plant) may be helpful at times if you want a dessert drink.

Avoid ALL artificial sweeteners (and some that sound natural are not at all, so do homework).
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
To shake WHEY protein powder or other protein powders that don't mix easily and need to be shaken. Just a couple of options with glass shakers:

Really, ANY GLASS MASON JAR you have will be fine. Or something like these:

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/weck-18-oz.-canning-jar/s261320

Weck 18 oz. GLASS Canning Jar (26 ounce also available if you need more room to shake, rattle and roll).

http://www.amazon.com/Libbey-Country-16-Ounce-Drinking-Handle/dp/B000V4J560

Libbey Country Fair 16-Ounce GLASS DRINKING JAR with Handle

(A lid is neither shown nor mentioned but I have one of these and just about any metal lid from a mason jar fits. You will need a basic dish brush to clean this.)

STORING JUICE for later use? Also use glass. But a plastic lid should be fine as long as you aren't shaking it. The lid won't touch the juice and it will stay cool so should not off-gas (I would think).
-

WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhitneyS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GO SLOW! It took me a long time to build up, cause drinking even 6 oz would put me out for the day!

Now im up to 10- 20 ounces a day just depending. Also I was reacting to cucumber in my juice-- i took my juice to my muscle tester and I removed the cucumber from the juice and no more problems!

Also try to keep the sugary stuff out. I mainly stick to green veggies.

Posts: 844 | From CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NEMOM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEMOM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started with three carrots and one granny smith apple. I have a little bit of headache about an hour later.

It wasn't as bad as I expected.

Posts: 131 | From Nebraska | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Garden
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Garden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some people can tolerate all the raw veggies/fruits better than others. I think at least some of it has to do with your gut flora.

Make sure you are getting enzymes to help you digest all the raw stuff. I've added a little kimchee juice, for example, to help out.

I also drank chicken stock (prepared according to Nourishing Traditions recipe) while I did a 7 day juice fast.

The only lingering impact: my cycles shifted. For the first time in my entire life, I am getting perfect 28 day cycles. I think that must be a sign of a positive change.

--------------------
Garden

"Fibromylagia" for 8+ years
Pos IgeneX WB per both Igenex and CDC
Pos Neuroscience MyLymeImmuneID
Started tx for Lyme in March 2011

Posts: 245 | From East Coast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhitneyS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nemom-- carrotts are really sugary too....so that might cause the head ache
Posts: 844 | From CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
To offset the sugar, it's best to never have just carrots and apple but those as about 1/4 to 1/3 of the total can work best along with:

cucumbers, celery, cabbage and other veggies that have a lot of water.

Consult your juicer instructions for how each of those will best work with your juicer model. For some, the peeling of the cucumber needs to first be removed.

Still should be balanced with PROTEIN & FAT. There is a reason for that, it helps prevent the spike and crash. HEMP protein powder, just by itself (nothing added, nothing "isolated") is a perfect source of both protein and fat.

There are many good books about juicing, just remember that some go for the way too sugary shock drinks. Go for those books and recipes intended to help regain health.
-

NEMOM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31370

Headache only happened on day 1. I've been drinking the carrot and apple juice combo all week and added in a half piece of celery yesterday and today. I don't much care for the added celery but I will keep it.

I was dx'dwith breast cancer last year. Everything I've read about juicing states that the combo I am drinking is one of the best for cancer. So I will continue with what I am drinking and slowly add more greens s to keep herxing to a minimum.

i'm getting more than enough protein from my regular meals.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement