LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Great and understanding docs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Great and understanding docs
twicebitten
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5412

Icon 7 posted      Profile for twicebitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to share that there are still doctors who are wonderful understanding people out there. Those of us who struggle with this disease in particular have to wonder at times if there are any left. After seeing multiple jerks it can really leave it's mark on your optimism in this regard.

Yesterday, I had an appointment with an old friend and pcp of mine. I changed pcp's because it was difficult to get an appointment with him and he has little time to spend discussing things with you most times.

I took in all my current meds, plus left over antibiotics, test results from my last llmd, and my newest pain clinic meds and dosages. I wanted him to help me decide which antibiotics I could be on at this time until I can find another llmd to help me. He recommended two for me, plus we had a great discussion.

He has seen the devastation of my life from this disease, and knew me before all this. We used to play in a band together and that is how I first met him. He also referred me to a new neurologist, which is the same one recommended to me by the pain clinic on Monday.

It is wonderful to hear a medical professional tell you that doctors should "listen to the patients", and that "if you tell me that something makes you feel better, who am I to question that, regardless of what the blood tests or other paperwork in the chart says". He said it's nice when it all falls into place, but that doesn't always happen.

He truly believes that what I'm telling him is true. It just really lifted my spirit. He said "patients are more than a chart" and that he would listen and help me in any way he can. He admits he doesn't know how to treat my condition, but if I need help he will do his best.

I resolved to NEVER switch pcp's again after this. I'm hoping this new neuro will be as understanding and cool about stuff, although I have my doubts. I will do my best to go in with an open mind next month when I see her.

As long as she doesn't recommend anything harmful to me, like steroids then it should be fine.

After my previous negative and very frustrated post regarding my old neuro, I wanted to let you know that I had a great experience with a doctor, which has been quite a long time coming.

Thanks for "listening" and being such a great group of people!
Wishing everyone improved health and a wonderful, and hope filled Christmas!

--------------------
One day at a time

Posts: 409 | From TX | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what a wonderful story. great christmas present. hopeful future.

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jessicabooklover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39427

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessicabooklover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is great, I am happy for you! Jess.
Posts: 870 | From ct | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is terrific, twicebitten!! I have been blessed too. I've only found a few drs who were bad. They were promptly fired!

I saw my neuro for the second time last week. He's a really nice doctor. Amazing to find a compassionate neuro who totally understood about my having had Lyme disease that went untreated for years.

He said it affects the entire body, all systems. ( I was thinking "NO DUH! ) .. but he was great. Amazes me every time I find a Dr here who actually gets it.

I told him I appreciated the fact that he "got it" and understood!! I told him that most Drs don't understand Lyme. He is from India and has only been here a year. I guess they haven't indoctrinated him yet!

He apologized for not really being able to help me. There are so many drugs I've tried and just can't take. He also understands about Sjogren's affecting my ability to take the drugs.

Then there's my wonderful internal med Dr who is my PCP. He himself called me on Monday and asked me if I could come in to see his new nutritionist. He said the apptm would last an hour and she will do testing for yeast, etc. I am so excited!! It will only cost me a copay!

I just LOVE him and I'm so grateful to have him!!! [spinning smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twicebitten
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twicebitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes lpkayak a wonderful Christmas present indeed!

Thanks Jess! You are a treasure and I sincerely hope you are better SOON!

Glad you are getting more help Lymetoo! It is really a difficult journey to find any docs who understand and don't put you in the "crazy pt." pile. You are so fortunate to have both a PCP and Neuro who understand. I hope to be in that club SOON. Since I have never seen a neuro who even has one clue about this, I have my doubts about this new one, but just maybe I'll get lucky and she will at least not hinder and be understanding.

It seems here in TX it is almost impossible to find any docs who have a clue about this. I don't know about other states, but I know here the docs seem almost hostile toward lyme. Even the mention of the word sends them over the edge.

Anytime one of us finds an understanding physician it's a WIN!

--------------------
One day at a time

Posts: 409 | From TX | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear ya on the Texas thing. I'm in Missouri. I would never have been diagnosed in Texas. I'm sure of it.

Find a neuro who is from another country! You may have better luck.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement