LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » I am going to write a book. any help or advice?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I am going to write a book. any help or advice?
merrygirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12041

Icon 2 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have wanted to write a book for a long time. mostly about My journey through PANDAS and Lyme.

I have no idea what I am doing. I am going to start writing. if their is anyone who can point me to somepne who can help me I would appreciate it. IF i am sucessful, part of any profit will go to PANDAS and Lyme research or charity.

I really dont know what I am doing

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about local community college or online courses in creative writing?

Amazon does self publishing if you get to that point.

There are already a lot of lyme books out there. Figure out how yours would be different in some way.

Even if you don't ever publish it, might be a form of therapy.

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Your local independent bookstores may host or know of your area writers' support groups.

Go to all the book signing events you can, but those where the author actually give a talk.

Find WRITERS' WORKSHOPS guided by professional writers. Often, there are scholarships for new writers to go away to a week long retreat but, likely, there are shorter lectures, etc.

Connect with writers IN PERSON

Find:

Writing Down to the Bones

----------------------------------------------

http://nataliegoldberg.com/

Natalie Goldberg website

Author of many books for writers, including:

Freeing the Writer Within: A Zen writing method to help you find your own voice.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Google:

Writers' workshops

(and then cross search with your state and all those within a reasonable distance to you).

But also get to know the websites and works of those from those around the country.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
The New York Times has a wonderful writing series. This week's offering is below but be sure to search their site for the past articles. And see the excellent reader comments, too.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/21/outlining-in-reverse/?hp

Draft is a NYT series about the art and craft of writing.

DRAFT: Outlining in Reverse - 1-21-13
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Set a time each day, a place, and treat it like a job. Tell your family you are not to be disturbed.

Get dressed, get your tea or snacks, etc. Do not stop and do laundry, dishes, food prep, etc.

Just BE with your writing exercises.

Also, I'd advise to not get too fixed on your topic yet. Do some basic writing to find your voice and see what comes from that.

You may WANT to write about something that is totally different -- and then be surprised if that happens to be relevant in some way (or not).

Once you get the mechanics of writing down (the tense, the voice, the time/setting, your style) and establish your best pattern and place for your craft, THEN you will be more ready to write about personal & medical experiences and it will flow more easily in a writer's format.

DREAM your story. Really. Keep a notepad (or recording device) near your bed. Some of the best works in literature and music have come during sleep.

Also keep your "idea capture" devices near you at all times. When you are doing other things, the ideas often come. Then use your "studio time" to hone the gem.

And that brings us to the importance of sleep - and nutrition for the brain, too. Qi Gong or Tai Chi seem particularly good exercises for writers. Some kind of dance, too.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.booktv.org/

BOOK TV - see their scheudule on the C-Span channels for nights and weekends and also see videos at their site.

While a great many of their books are political in nature, some are not. Or - surprise - some may be medical but then illustrate the politics involved or required for change.

An author who researched and wrote about CELL PHONES comes to mind. Excellent presentation on Book TV a couple years ago. Search their site for Devra Davis as an example of how a writer takes a medical topic and makes it relevant.

Often, especially in the sit-down interview sessions and the audience questions, authors will discuss their methods of research and personal writing styles.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Might I suggest not announcing now that a portion of your proceeds will go either here or there.

Right now, focus on your work. If a work succeeds, that will fuel a force for good to mushroom out of that.

Don't lock yourself in - or feel like you need to give away anything in advance. If that time comes and you can, great. But you must first fund yourself.
-

hopingandpraying
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 9256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopingandpraying     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you could contact Pamela Weintraub who wrote the book, "Cure Unknown". She has also written other books.

I don't have her contact information. Maybe someone on Lymenet does and will pm you with it.

Posts: 8981 | From Illinois | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.astralgia.com/

Pamela Weintraub's main site

Google her name for her other focused sites.
-

jjourneys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jjourneys   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a writer and technical editor.

Best advice - start writing, don't stop writing until it's finished!! It takes a while to write a book. At first, don't worry about the layout or chapters, just get everything written down that is in your head right now, that way you won't forget what you have in mind right now.

Follow the advice and links provided above.

Once you have words written you can then worry about the format, chapters, how you will publish, how you will sell, etc. Without the words it is too early to worry about that stuff.

After you write the book, you will need someone to edit your book for formatting, typos, grammar, logic, etc.

**edited out section that violates forum rules**

[ 01-25-2013, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: faithful777 ]

Posts: 250 | From East Coast | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow merry...so glad you have nothing else to do!!!!

i just remember when my kids were young...i dont think i could have fit a book in...but maybe it will be sort of and escape for you too.

good luck!!

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Healerdealer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23032

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Healerdealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Practice, practice, practice... so - start a blog! This is a great way to improve your skills and get feedback at the same time.

Healer

[ 02-01-2013, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

Posts: 163 | From New Jersey | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
For web, just be very careful with what personal information you put out there for reasons of possible futher employment, insurance, identity theft and just TMI that could be detrimental in anyway - it's amazing the things to consider.

If you do decide to do a blog, you might want to find an expert in web safety for a full education in all there is to consider first. What goes out now could be out there forever, even if you remove something.

It can take a while to decide the purpose and the boundaries. The writing sytle also is important - as it would be a different style than most books, different voice.

Decide the purpose, style, voice, etc. and then find the best vehicle for that. It can take a while practicing writing to figure out your style.

You can write everyday in exercise and not have to show it to the world. Gather the best up for a writers' group if you want some formal input on skill building.

Even for accomplished writers, most of what they write never sees the light of day. But, without having done that, what makes the edit would have never gotten done. (or is that "never would have gotten done." ? - I forget some of the rules.)

Also, with writing, research takes up most of the time. Even for fiction. I love the research part of it all but not so much the writing parts. Writers' groups can save the day as you establish your routines.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Writers' groups can also suggest the best websites for grammer. In my note above, I was unsure of the placement of "never" - which I should know but just forget. It really does matter for professional writing.

When it comes time for an editor, they really don't like to have to correct grammer too many times.

So, I just searched Google for: never, grammar

Some sites pop up that seem to be excellent reference sources. But, the thing is that it would take a bit of study to know if a particular site is accurate or not.

This is where a writers' group or formal instructors can be great guidance, too.

The AP (Associated Press) stylebook is great source for any kind of factual writing, it need not be news style. But the web is so fantastic once you know the very best reference sites and aps.

But for developing technique, writers' groups are such wonderful cocoons, nuturing, encouraging and many excellent writers come out of these kinds of "writers' workshops" - and the group can help balance the lonely tasks of technical writing.

Writing is a lot of technical work, it's very hard work and many long hours with little to show for it - seemingly. Since so much effort does not show up in the book, it might seem to be of waste but it all gets you to a point of goodness.

If you are drawn to be a writer, you have to write. Something. Every day. In some format.

If you are drawn by a social force to help the world and figure writing is the way to do that, great. But if writing is too technical for those who enjoy more time with others, there are so many other ways to be an advocate and get information out there.

For some, writing is an outlet. There are many styles, paths. It can take a while to find the one with your name on it.

I hope you throughly enjoy the process. It's all about process.
-

[ 01-31-2013, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I stumbled upon this fabulous site yesterday:

http://www.identitytheory.com/section/interviews/author-interviews/

Identity Theory - Author Interviews

"A literary website, sort of." (they state)
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
This publication shines a light on some of the best indenpendent (and often "new") writers.

http://thesunmagazine.org/

The SUN MAGAZINE

------------------

While UTNE ferrets out the best from other publications, they often also feature authors who approach topics that mass media won't touch.

http://www.utne.com/

UTNE READER - the best of the alternative press
-

cozynana
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cozynana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Merrygirl, I think your book would be great therapy and help others at the same time.

It would be cool if you could educate and entertain readers at the same time.

I think it would be fun to get the people on this forum to send you their most unbelievable story

about their Lyme, the funniest situation with Lyme, the saddest story, etc.

Anything that is unusual or informative. The craziest treatment they have tried.

Maybe even some of the miracle stories people have to share.

I would be glad to share a couple of stories that are unbelievable about my journey.

Even a part of the book could be Lyme recipes for those who have gut issues.

Maybe a chapter dedicated to the best protocol for each co-infection and what Lyme patient themselves say have worked the best for them.

You should write the book, even if you decide not to publish it, good therapy.

Posts: 620 | From Ks | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I Help???

Starting out,,,"Once upon a time"

Hope you can do the finish///

You can do it,,dive in

Good luck,,,(you dont need my help)

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement