LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » "Ehrlichiosis, Rare Tick Infection, Spread To 9-Year-Old Boy Via Blood Transfusion"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Ehrlichiosis, Rare Tick Infection, Spread To 9-Year-Old Boy Via Blood Transfusion"
Sammi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 110

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/03/ehrlichiosis-blood-transfusion-tick-infection-9-year-old-boy_n_3009093.html

Ehrlichiosis, Rare Tick Infection, Spread To 9-Year-Old Boy Via Blood Transfusion
Posted: 04/03/2013 4:04 pm EDT

By: Karen Rowan, MyHealthNewsDaily Managing Editor
Published: 04/03/2013 12:56 PM EDT on MyHealthNewsDaily

A 9-year-old Georgia boy who developed a rare tick-borne disease got the infection from a blood transfusion, according to a report of his case.

The case is the first time this infection, called ehrlichiosis, was spread by a transfusion, said Dr. Joanna Regan of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The bacterial infection, though rare, is serious and can be fatal, Regan said. Ehrlichiosis can go undetected because routine tests don't look for it, and many people do not realize they were bitten by a tick.

In this case, which occurred during the summer of 2011, the boy's condition deteriorated over the course of 10 days until a pathologist discovered the infection.

While ehrlichiosis is easily treatable with the antibiotic doxycycline, the drug is generally less powerful than other options, so it is often not the first treatment doctors give when they suspect a patient has some type of infection, Regan said.

Indeed, the boy in this case was treated with broad-spectrum antibiotics when he was admitted to the hospital, but he remained ill.

The child's family had no reason to suspect a tick-borne infection -- he had acute lymphoblastic leukemia and had not been playing outside. The cancer is the most common cancer among children and is highly curable -- 85 percent of children who are treated for the condition are cured.

But chemotherapy treatments had left the boy suffering from anemia, and he had received three transfusions in the previous month. He went to his oncologist with fever, vomiting and a rash.

"He had classic signs -- rash, low white blood cell count, low platelets -- but with no possibility of tick exposure, they didn't think of this," Regan said. "There are many things that were more likely to be making him sick," such as common bacterial infections, or pneumonia, she said.

Finally, a pathologist found the telltale sign of bacteria within the boy's white blood cells. As soon as doctors administered doxycycline, the boy rapidly improved and went home.

Health officials tracked down the donors of the three transfusions, and one of those donors reported frequent tick bites. That donor lived in Florida, and further tests showed the person had antibodies against Ehrlichia bacteria, according to the report.

Eight other people had received transfusions from the donor; three died within a few days of unrelated causes, the other five tested negative for Ehrlichia, according to the report.

"The donor had no symptoms -- that's what made it so difficult," Regan said. Routine lab tests of the donor's blood appeared normal, although the person reported being bitten by ticks repeatedly, she said.

The case shows that doctors should be aware that this infection can be transmitted through blood transfusions. In 2011, the CDC reported that 162 cases of the tick-borne disease babesiosis over three decades were traced to blood transfusions.

Lyme disease could also theoretically be transmitted via a transfusion, but no case of this has been reported, according to the CDC. [Read: How Safe Is the Nation's Blood Supply?]

Cases of ehrlichiosis have risen in recent years, from 200 in 2000 to 740 in 2010. The condition is fatal in 1 to 2 percent of cases, according to the CDC. The infection is most common in the southeastern and south-central United States.

People should try to avoid tick bites, Regan said. The CDC recommends using repellant products that contain at least 20 percent DEET, examining the skin for ticks after being outside and showering soon after outdoor activities.

The case report was published March 19 in the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases.

Pass it on: A tick-borne infection was passed on through a blood transfusion.

Follow Karen Rowan @karenjrowan. Follow MyHealthNewsDaily @MyHealth_MHND, Facebook & Google+.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
droid1226
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's things like this that makes me realize that lyme problem is less a conspiracy and more just pure laziness and incompetence of the medical system.

I gave blood while sick but was still in the medical merry go round, still completely ignorant to this illness. I have ehrlich, bart, and plenty other co infections. And now so does someone else.

So infuriating...

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope that little boy does not have more infections that they did not pick up.

I removed being a donar from my driver's license as taking steroids to prevent rejection of my organs would sent the pathogens into overdrive and the person would die.

I wonder how many people have gotten organs from people with lyme. There was a Gray's Anatomy show in which a person with ALS gave organs and I thought why don't they wonder why he has ALS in the first place and maybe his organs are not safe.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moving to General Support

(Most reports such as this are posted in GS)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffyFan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BuffyFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a shame that people aren't tested for tick borne diseases before donating blood. It should be mandatory but probably will never happen.

There was an article in our paper several weeks ago, about an organ donator that had rabies.

Posts: 287 | From somewhere | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that it should be mandatory. I can't believe a donor had rabies! Hopefully it was found beforehand.

I get monthly IVIG, and I always wonder about the quality of each infusion.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
droid1226
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neff, you're right. Even Lou Gehrig's Drs. told him that his condition was caused by a germ. That was 75 yrs ago.

Sidenote--He also lived in Lyme CT in the offseason.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffyFan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BuffyFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sammi, no, they didn't know the guy had rabies, he had encephalitis and they didn't test him. From what I read, they had to find everyone that got his organs and start rabies treatment.

I *think* at least one person died from getting the infected organs. [Frown]

Posts: 287 | From somewhere | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my gosh, that is terrible and so sad!

I am sure people were excited to get a transplant and then to find that out. How scary.

map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're in deep doo doo. Our health care system is pitiful. To transfuse blood into a child already so ill and that blood is tainted with TBI is inexcuseable.

Others that received that blood died? I'm am scared to death for us. We have a member in the hospital that has turned to lymenet for answers.....because the hospital can't help them.

That is scary!!!!!!

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement