LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » i can't take any more stress/have to move

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: i can't take any more stress/have to move
shannon12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shannon12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I was afraid of this, i've been in my apartment for 9 years, had trouble with noise in the building from time to time.

One of the apartments on top of me has been vacant for a year but the previous tenant was not noisy, was a single girl.

Now they have a couple with a young child moving in, well they were here today doing whatever and sure enough the kid is racing back and forth, ceiling sounds like it might cave.

I cannot do this, I'm ill, fatigued, feel like I could die from this sickness, I'm stressed, miserable.

I cannot take noise like this, I knew they were going to put a child up there. I'm not trying to sound like I hate children, I don't, I wish I was well enough to have one of my own.

Has anyone had to move because of noise issues or if not how do you handle it? I'm trying to find somewhere quick to move, not another apartment because of the same issues. A whole house or half double is too much for me, I have no income, my only option is maybe a mobile home.

I have some money I can put down on it and I have someone to cosign since I have no income. I have no idea what I'm going to do, I absoultely cannot take a child running and jumping right above me.

Posts: 229 | From Forty Fort, PA | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you move to a top floor apt in your complex?

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shannon12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shannon12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no, I can't . It's a house with four units, there are full now, plus the upstairs ones are two bedroom and much more than i pay in rent. A big ripoff and overpriced when new landlord bought building.
Posts: 229 | From Forty Fort, PA | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you find a duplex that is one level?? I know what you mean. We had a boy who was about 8yrs old above us and it was loud. He was fairly well-behaved, just noisy.

Now we have NO ONE up there. It's been that way for 2 yrs. We are so spoiled!!!

Call an apartment locator. Maybe there are one level apartments somewhere near you.

PS.. we used to live in an apt that had concrete between the floors. We only heard upstairs noise if it was REALLY loud. So perhaps look for an older apt?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to use cheap ear plugs a lot....even at night I usually put a small stuffed animal (one of the triplets) over my head also.

When I'm on certain meds or a different co-bug is hitting , then it's a different issue..that hits hard..

My ears also have that awful hissing ringing, was one ear for years, now it's both.. and left one hurts behind the ear. Pain behind ear was gone for years and is back..no idea why or what it is...

Feels like a bad skete party going on back there.

I don't know how or if you'd like to see if they'll use " inside (quite) voices during certain times. If you ask.. Did owner know you are so ill?

Seems like so few really get it/understand that this is real.

I know this can just make this whole thing so much worse,,,I'm sorry..

The last thing you need is a move and all the stress.

Do you have a close friend that could use some $$$$$ help and share?

Feeling like you have the flu /mono /pneumonia all at the same time ,plus pain, pain, pain...is such a hard thing/valley/journey to go through...My prayers are with you......Nonna

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BleedGreen
Member # 33468

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BleedGreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can relate, my wife and I just had our first child when we first found we have lyme.

I feel bad because he is just a child, and I remember being so care free and loud. Sometimes it's so intolerable it feels like he is making as much noise as possible just to see me in more pain.

I know this is not the case at all and on really, really bad days my wife will take him to me and explain how I don't feel well. When she does he will tip toe around and whisper, telling my wife and our dog to be quiet because I'm sick.

I know the agony and how you despise every little sound, then feeling as if something is terribly wrong with you as the sounds of their play and laughter should be a joyful experience.

I use ear plugs for everything, we try to make certain toys and activities for outdoors only. I just can't imagine dealing with this and it being a stranger's child.

I'm not sure how big the city is that you live in or how old you are, but I know there are communities and buildings that are for a certain age and older. You may be able to find such an apartment complex.

Posts: 80 | From US | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We run a box fan, esp. at night, which helps drown out most noises.

Don't know if it would be enough to cover the sounds of a noisy kid.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Some with lyme are much more affected in the inner ear, the brain and all nerve fibers.

My guess is that you are one of those and no box fans, no background noise is going to help. In fact, running a fan can be devastating irritating to the ears, brain and nerve fibers of some, terribly so.

Now, of course, if that helps, do it. But, if it does not, don't find it. Just know that there is so much to explain about the many different KINDS of noise / sound vibrations and so many variances in how it affects us.

I've tried them all. You must find different lodging - somehow. It is possible.

Lots of things that can help - a bit.

Noise cancellation headphones ONLY help a little bit and on very certain kinds of sounds.

Sound vibrations travel though our bones, through our nasal passages, too. So blocking ears is not the perfect solution for all situations and it can increase vertigo, too, making walking unsafe (for some).

If you can find an advocate of some kind to help with ideas . . . contact your local inner ear support group for a start.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS
-

[ 04-20-2013, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i used box fans for years...i have just now stopped and realize not only am i in my own house it is the only house on the street and it is a quiet street.

i may have to use it when windows are open but for now no

sleep is so impt. no stress is so impt. you need to do what you need to do

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
If you try fans, you may need to try several different brands. And you may need to put on a very solid base, not the floor.

For some with hyperacusis and espeically SCD, it can take trying out a lot of different makes and models. And if they advertise as quiet, do not believe them. Find out what the decible rating is and also what they've done to keep the vibration to a minimum.

The heavier, more solid fans are usually better. Soft music to focus on may help more but, still, be sure to see the other detail in the Tinnitus thread that explains how one fan may work for one person but not for another.

I've tried out probably over 20 fans. None work and all make it worse, in my case. I can't even stand it when a neighboring apartment has a fan on - the vibrations rock my walls and floor and make me very ill and dizzy. I'm not telling you this to make you sad or fearful but just to alert you to the range of effects of fans.

Still, you will just have to see what helps for your case. I would start with a fan such as what Brookstone might make, if they still make them. Goodwill might carry the older, heavier ones, too.

Be sure not to let anyone tell you that if you just did "this" or "that" it SHOULD be okay. There are many things to try but there is no one size fits all.

An audiologist, especially a LL audiologist would be a good person to help find a proper advocate for your living arrangement. You need an advocate who truly understands hyperacusis issues, best if they are also LL as that even adds more complexitiy to hyperacusis.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried noise cancelling headphones once and got the worst headache I ever had in my life.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sapphire
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4599

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would politely ask if they would please get some carpets for the floor of their apartment.Explain the problem in such a way to let them know it isnt their fault, But rather that you have a severe illness and inability to handle noise is one of the problems within the illness.I got the high intensity Lasko fans, but pretty much any fan will act as white noise and will help some inblocking out the sound, but ,if they put rugs down where the child runs and jumps it will really help

--------------------
[email protected]

Posts: 154 | From NH | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I've learned the hard way to first put the focus on the building: "these floors, these walls . . . are not well insulted regarding sounds . . . sound comes through much more intensely on the other side . . . ."

I've told neighbors, managers before that certain kinds of noise can trigger seizures for me. I was told they were not a nursing home and I was the one with the problem so I needed to stop asking others to be quiet.

Be VERY careful how you introduce yourself around all this. Yes, it's a problem that causes physical pain -- still - it the focus in more on how sound is transmitted and what can be done to change some of that --- it's not making you look like you are just weak.

I can't tell you how many neighbors over the years have not cared one bit that their music or parties triggered seizures. Same with some kids' toys. The little bikes with plastic tires are so much worse than the old rubber tires, etc.

Kids need to be kids, within reason. Still, in a building with no sound insulation, I hope everyone can pull together to make find some solutions.

Egg crates, by the way, or foam, is NOT the answer. It's not a good insulation no matter what the urban myth is.

One building in which I lived, every Friday & Sat. night when the younger crowd would cruise the city, around my bldg too, the manager let me go lie down on a couch in the basement janitor's closet from about 9 pm to 3 am.

That was the only solution I could find then and, while, icky and not the nicest surrounding, it also saved my life many times over, I'm certain of that. I'm glad the manager agreed to that solution until I was able to move out.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
laxmom says: "tried noise cancelling headphones once and got the worst headache I ever had in my life." (end quote)

Indeed, these are not good for everyone. They will not really cancel sound but can take the edge off.

I really have a love-hate relationship with them. They have saved my life - quite literally - on the days that a million leaf blowers and other powered lawn tools of torture on the property for the entire day.

Still, they are mighty strong electronic gadgets and I think all that power too close to the ears could pose a risk. They actually contain a MICROPHONE to capture sound but then a "reducer" of sorts (whatever its called) that counteracts it.

I am concerned that the effects on the brain are similar to that of cell phones - and that would not be a good thing.

Some serious action is taking place there, right near my BRAIN and ears and I often wonder about all that. I know we don't know all we need to know but mine are necessary at times.

They do increase tinnitus for me - and make me feel unsettled, however, they also do reduce SOME particular aspects of sound that keep me from spazzing out or jumping over my deck.

When my fridge is just horribly loud, they help take that edge off. I can't think, stand, talk, cook, read or do anything when my fridge is on. In a small apt., it's always there, within touch, nearly.

They are not good to wear all the time, and probably won't do much against jumping and playing around over one's head. Those kinds of sounds also travel through our bones.

Ear plugs also won't do a lot of good for all sounds - since so much sound can get through. They make me too dizzy to wear unless lying down. But some do okay with them, even to walk. I'm not sure how that is but I know some who say so.
-

[ 04-22-2013, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it me?

Assuming at least one of these parents are healthy, they should be taking their kid to a park or other physical activity/sport on a daily basis so he can get his exercise.

I grew up in an apartment. My parents did not allow us to run rampant indoors because they did not want to disturb the neighbors.

But that was back in the day when people possessed common courtesy and common sense and parents were parents, not their kids' best friends.

You can't very well tell these parents to take their kid outside to get it out of his system.

But you can approach them and tell them that you are very ill and you would so much appreciate it if they could minimize the jumping/running their son/daughter is doing in the apartment. If you can, have some cookies to offer when you ring the bell as a goodwill gesture before you make your request.

In the meantime, you can ask the landlord if he can install carpeting up there (assuming there isn't any there) and do what others have suggested in terms of fans, earplugs.

Good luck!

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sadly i have heard that the 135 home loans and section 8 housing is going to take reductions in funding.

which means many people, especially elderly who make lower incomes, will not qualify for these loans.

and apartments are getting dang expensive. my ex-dil says even a one bedroom in a nice complex is now running around 600 or more and two bedrooms are running 800-1000. man....

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The other thing that dawned on me is that you know what you are dealing with in your current situation and might be able to mitigate the problem in a variety of ways.

But there is no guarantee that moving (unless you know you'll be on a top floor) will be a better situation.

Just another thought. Good luck!

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
sickofthepain,

Indeed, those "low thundering vibrations" can be the worst -- and noise cancelling headphones do not work in that case.

As for where you go next, some neighborhood associations have quiet rules.

Be sure to study Google maps to identify roads, find out what roads might be planned to come . . .

avoid being anywhere close to large stores with exhaust fans that run all night and trucks that deliver all night, etc.

Exhaust fans and even air conditioning condensors need to be considered, too.

I hope you are able to have a LL doctor and that treatment will help. while I've never been able to adequately access a LL doctor or figure out for myself exactly all I need . . .

many others have gotten better regarding hyperacusis, once the reach remission. I'm not the poster child for success (yet) yet I have read of such cases, for certain. It is possible.

Be sure to see the Tinnitus thread above for other suggestions that can help along the way.

Best of luck.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Other things to consider:

Street lights and outer building lights. Some of these can hummmm like crazy.

And, if attached to the outer wall of an apt. or house, they can transfer that noise to the inside. Not everyone would even notice but those who do could be terribly affected.

Sometimes - just sometimes - if the mounting is fited with very firm rubber trim between the lighting fixture and the outer wall, the vibration can be reduced. But it depends on many factors.

--

Garage Bands. It's great that anyone gets together with friends to play music but, in most locations, no matter the volume or the drumming style, these are allowed until 11 p.m.

Bongo Drums and the like. While not really noisy loud, these vibrations can travel for blocks. Especially if living in an active downtown, be aware.

If living in an active area, check the locations of the dumpsters. They get emptied overnight. Some hide behind large doors.

Check festival schedules and

Bus routes. Bus brakes can be very rough on ears and nerve endings.

Windmills' humming can undo the best folks. Again, not all are bothered but those who are can suffer terribly. Find out future plans for the municipality - and if any homeowner can install one. Some do.

All the important variables to consider can send the most grounded person into a tailspin. This is why it helps to have some kind of advocate from the local INNER EAR SUPPORT GROUPS -- and even better if they also are lyme literate.

Local Lyme Support groups are important to consult regarding housing options, too.

You should not have to reinvent the wheel as, I'm certain, you are not alone in your search. Find some footsteps so the path is easier.
-

shannon12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36149

everyone, thanks for all the responses and suggestions, I have always ran a fan since i moved in 9 years ago, at night in my room. I wasn't quite as sick then either. And it definitely helps.

I did decide I am moving, I was never really happy here to begin with, I am buying a mobile home in a very quiet area. Not what I planned but I didn't plan on this disease either.

I think it will be good for me anyway, it will be a brand new place in a very nice location. The only thing that scared me was talking to people in the park saying that there are deer around all the time, all I thought was great more ticks but I'm much more aware of it now.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement