LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » GREEN & HERB TEA - Links set

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GREEN & HERB TEA - Links set
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
GREEN & HERB TEA - for real

Indeed, let's have a TEA PARTY with our friends and family.

Many here feel as if we've been tossed into a real "Alice in Wonderland" so let have some fun.

I've been intending to put all my personal research notes here and have gotten only this far. Prompted by a post about someone's friend who is married to soft drinks, I wish when I had been so I knew about GREEN TEAs and the like.

Soon (a week or so), I will be back with certain sources for good tea and also safe mugs, etc. My file notes are not ready for prime time and it may take a while to clean them up.

Good links are welcome from everyone, of course. All I ask is that if any tea brands are posted that they be:

FREE OF 'NATURAL FLAVORS" or ANY ADDITIVES and in line with key principles below

Medical journal articles welcome, too.

-----------------------

GIVE A TEA PARTY

For a special twist as we move into summer, why not give yourself, family, frieds: 4-5 tins of excellent green & herb tea, loose, with a pretty infusion mug (perhaps a style one that could travel).

This past year I have spent hours - yes, hours - studying TEA. And it's a delightful topic to study, even more delightful to try differnt teas.

Some essential points to consider as you choose a vendor:

Their reputation, their certification and assurances that their teas are not contaminated (as some can be). Heavy metals have been found in some teas on the market. Do your homework beyond just the vendor's site.

Organic certification is a plus.

Absolutely ZERO "Natural Flavors" - yes, zero. Because they are usually not natural and often, MSG or other addictive chemicals that can be too excitatory for us.

FAIR TRADE principles also matter. It's important to know they are not at all involved in slave labor, especially child slave labor (which happens in many tea operations). Every person who is involved should receive fair compensation.

Eco-responsible practices for the land and community.

There are several companies who have a strong reputation for these important matters and also have excellent quality.

Along with a nice gift set, you might include a couple different brands of an good STEVIA.

LEAD & CADMIUM FREE MUGS, etc.

Mugs (or tea pots if used) should be certified free of lead and cadmium (or at least as free as possible). There are only a couple companies that have such certification.

-----------------------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=029690;p=0

Excitotoxins; MSG; Aspartame;

& "Natural" Flavors - what they really are and what they do to us
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Not a Green Tea, but also fabulous in so many ways:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/3/30849?#000000

Topic: HIBISCUS TEA
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
DO STILL ENJOY GREEN TEA - just do your homework. One consideration in finding a good clean source:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKTJ47R-hNw

Radioactive Japanese green tea - already in a store near you

YouTube - 15 minute video - Aug 12, 2011 - by William Milberry
-

randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i prefer iced teas. i like grey or some of the chinese teas.

don't like the darjeeling...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pocono Lyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pocono Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Keebler. Do you have the sources for the mugs? Companies? I'm currently in the market.

I watched the video. I really wonder if it's futile as sooo much is covered up, hidden, lied about,...

When companies are allowed a certain percentage of things and not having to put it on the label, we are clueless.

They're allowed to have a certain percentage of trans fat and still be able to label it Free of Trans Fat.

A percentage of rodent droppings is allowed!
I'll get off my soap box now.

I'm thirsty. [Big Grin]

--------------------
2 Corinthians 12:9-11

9 But he said to me, �My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.� Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ�s power may rest on me.

Posts: 1445 | From Poconos, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
MUGS

Yes, I have some mug links that I'm comfortable with. I really love my Chantal infuser mug with lid. I've had several of these over the years and they are splendid. They no longer make the most beautiful lime green color that is my favorite but I think the very same thing is at the Teavana site.

These are all safe regarding lead & cadmium:

http://www.chantal.com/tea-mug-w-stainless-steel-infuser.html

Chantal infuser mug with lid

These hold much more than the looks might suggest. Low center of gravity makes it stable and the lid and the mug material really hold in heat or cold.

Most Chantal Tea Kettles are porcelain enamel lined, as are Le Creuset and both are safe regarding heavy metals standards.

Never use any vessel with plastic parts that gets hot. Too many electric kettles have plastic.

Silicone can also have health risks when it gets hot as fillers are often added to the silicone material. For infusers, best are ceramic, glass or stainless steel.

http://www.teavana.com/tea-products/tea-cups-mugs/infuser-mugs/p/curve-green-infuser-tea-mug

Curve Green Infuser Tea Mug ?

NOTE: While this appears to be the exact mug that Chantal previously carried I have not confirmed that it's the same original "lot" that Chantal had - or same manufacturing standards here. That would need to be confirmed.

http://emersoncreekpottery.master.com/texis/master/search/?q=tea&s=SS

Emmerson Creek Pottery - mugs, teapots - USA

http://www.forlifedesign.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=38

Curve "For Life" infuser mug with lid

http://www.fiestafactorydirect.com/c-209-cups-mugs-and-saucers.aspx?pid=185

Fiesta Ware Mugs - USA
-

[ 05-26-2013, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
As for TEA brands . . . I have several sites I've studied.

Mountain Rose Herbs is one that I am very comfortable recommending. I'll look back over my order notes for them as to the varieties I've been pleased with. They just didn't have the pretty tins, so I went to a place that did but may be going back now and alter the label & refill tins with a different brand.

I'd been getting my tea from a different place for months but my last order, two teas did not taste at all the same: the Green Earl Grey or the Green Jasmine. Their customer service has been lacking so I'm sorting that out before I can recommend them. For I'm sure they are clean and all that but consistency really matters, too.

Mercola has some articles about tea and he carries two kinds but I'm not fond of those (Tulsi is one. It's good, I just don't like the taste). Still, his detail is solid.

---------------

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/tea_bev/tea_greenwhite.html

Mountain Rose Herbs (Oregon) - GREEN & WHITE TEAS

Green Sencha Leaf Tea is excellent. I recall asking them about the radioactivity issue and was fine with their answer though I do not recall the specifics. Always good to talk to them yourself.

I fell in love with the Kukicha Twig Tea but then soon lost interest (oh, fickle love!). It's very mellow.

Jasmine is one that I plan to order from them since my other supplier has slipped. Jasmine & Green together are very nice, indeed.

They also have excellent bulk nutritional items such as Gotu Kola, Stinging Nettle, Spirulina & Chlorella.

I am confident in their teas. Plan packaging, though, so get into an air tight dark container as soon as it arrives.

Many tea sites sell nice "tins" or canisters but a glass jar with a good lid can work, too, but keep in the dark. Keep from excessive heat.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Forgot to mention. Start your search locally then span out. You may find a good tea supplier near you. When we can find items closer to us, this saves fuel and also helps to prevent additional pollution from transport.

Athough, really, a package will just "hop" on the same truck or plane as thousands of others going your way so it's not like they send a special vehicle. But, as pollution in tea (and food) is an issue and vehicle pollution is still just out of control, if more of us can buy locally, maybe there will be dent in pollution.

When we can buy locally, it also helps support people who run our local businesses.
-

MannaMe
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite teas are home grown mint teas!

Went to a local green house and picked up several different kinds:
Peppermint
Applemint
Chocolatemint
Spearmint

Have a kettle of tea steeping on the stove right now. Decided to read on here till the tea is ready. How interesting to find this thread!

We like to dry the extra and store it in glass jars for winter.

Posts: 2262 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
MannaMe,

Oh, my! There really is a plant called Chocolate Mint! Who knew? I had to look that up as I thought you must have had some kind of packet with flavoring. Great to see the real plant here:

http://www.localharvest.org/chocolate-mint-plant-C8628

Chocolate Mint - Plant

----------------

Wonder if a few cocoa nibs could be tossed in with that?

Thanks for the reminder that we can make our teas from our own plants. I have just a deck but so many ants that I can't put any plants at all out on my deck for then all the ants that go to the plant's soil come inside when it rains (as it does 9 months of the year here).

Still, when I get my groceries delivered, I can also order a bunch of fresh mint. Nothing like the fresh stuff.

So many other plants and herb that we can use, too. Hope others will add to this.

Each mint has its own personality, too. Mint is easy to grow, so easy. Just wish I had piece of ant-free space to "farm" some herbs.

Licorice root is very good blended with mint. Fennel may be as well, I wonder?
-

[ 05-26-2013, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pocono Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the Chantal mugs. I couldn't get the Fiesta Factory to come up even doing a direct search.

Some kind of server error.

MannaMe, I love the mint teas also. I wasn't aware of a chocolate one either. Mmmm Checking into that one! [lick] [Big Grin]

--------------------
2 Corinthians 12:9-11

9 But he said to me, �My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.� Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ�s power may rest on me.

Posts: 1445 | From Poconos, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Glad you like the Chantal mugs. I've been using various colors of that style for many years and was overjoyed to see the new infuser.

Lots of stores carry Fiesta. But they don't have the infusers or lids. Very heavy, too, which I don't mind in dishes but for mugs it can be a chore. And they don't hold nearly as much as the 15-oz Chantal mugs.

Macy's is always having a sale on Fiesta ware dinnerware. They are the only ones to carry a very nice large, low wide individual salad / pasta bowl. I eat most of my meals out of that one dish.
-

hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler,

What a great thread. So fun to read about something enjoyable. Certainly relieves the TEANSION (pun intended) of illness.

Blessings.

Hiker53

P.S. Does chocolatemint really taste like chocolate mint? I'm in!

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8929 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MannaMe
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The chocolate flavor is very mild - at least to me. I love DARK chocolate!

The mint flavor really comes through in the chocolate mint.

I really like it.

Keebler, have you ever tried putting a tray filled with water under your pots outside? Set a brick under the pot to keep it out of the water. Creates a "river" the ants won't cross to get into the pots.

Posts: 2262 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
MannaMe,

Thanks for the river / moat idea for ants. I just don't like to do that as it can attract mosquitoes to lay eggs.

I do now create a moat if I set honey out on my kitchen counter to warm up from fridge. I learned the hard way that ants love honey - they invaded it, big time. It now stays in the fridge.

I've tried growing herbs inside, just inside the deck door, same sun exposure but they just won't grow inside. Maybe someday I'll get a grow light but that degree of study has eluded my energy reserves.

Since I only can have shopping done every 3-4 weeks, it would be so nice to be able to have an good herb garden inside.

There's a wonderful Sting song "Fields of Gold" - I dream of "Fields of Basil" - I would eat Pesto 3 x day if I could. It's also get made with MINT & BASIL.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.strandtea.com/splash-page.html

STRAND TEA in Sandy, Oregon is very nice.

Their Green Earl Grey is very good. Jasmine, too.

I used to like the Tao of Tea in Portland, OR but recently got some "Jasmine" that was not at all what I ordered (no jasmine in it at all) and their customer service was severely lacking regarding that.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theanine

THEANINE - the balancing part of green tea so that the caffeine content works for us, not against us (or worn out adrenals).
-

Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, awesome thread!

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I finally kicked stevia. I know that is a "good" real plant based sweetener but I was bothered by the natural flavors added to some. The one without (Kal) is a powder and the measuring of that can be a bit tricky.

I bought organic stevia leaves . . . too gamey for my taste. I even made a cold water tincture but it was not cutting it for me. I decided to go naked.

I had gotten to where I was using too many stevia drops and wondered if my body might be off kilter with perception of sweet.

Since the age of about 17, my beverages have always been sweet (mostly diet pop up until 22 years ago when that went) but even then, I used artificial sweeteners and then stevia. Always had to have that added sweetness.

I've read that the brain can interpret artificial sweeteners as sugar and mess with glucose tolerance . . . I wonder the same about stevia.

So, it took me only about a week to get used to my tea not being sweet. In my second week now and doing just great with this. This is the one that helped me. It's very smooth.

The trick to smooth tea is to pay attention the water temp. not over 160 -170.

(use a meat thermometer in the water - not touching any metal part in the kettle - to gauge how long you can hold your fingers to the kettle as it warms up - you only have to do this once and then use same burner setting) . . . I can hold my fingers on lightly for about 2-3 seconds. Then I know it's about 160.

Never put it on high, but the lowest temp that will get it that temp. For my stove, the lowest low will work.

some electric kettles have temperature settings but don't use any plastic electric kettles.

and steep tea for about 3 minutes. Hotter or longer can be a bit bitter.

My new favorite:

http://www.strandtea.com/Tai-Mu-San-Green-Tea-Organic.html

Tai Mu San Green Tea

[ 08-14-2014, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

LymeThyme
Member # 27926

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeThyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been using this tea infuser for several months and have been very happy with it:

http://www.shopcupanion.com/collections/a-cupanion-for-hot-beverages/products/balanced-cupanion

They are sold online at the above site or at Wegman grocery stores.

Posts: 21 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rivendell
Member # 19922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivendell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will try Mountain Rose Herbs for green tea.

Green Tea is one of the few herbs that helps me so much and that I can't do without. I have had concerns about the radiation in Japan, but it is so hard to know where the green tea we buy is coming from.

And green tea keeps me above water, so I take my chances.

Thanks for the source, Keebler.

--------------------
Herbal Treatments for Lyme and Co-Infections:
http://buhnerhealinglyme.com
http://www.tiredoflyme.com/the-cowden-protocol-for-lyme-disease.html http://www.sinomedresearch.org http://www.lymenet.org/SupportGroups/

Posts: 1358 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Rivendell,

Good point. And neither can I do without my green teas - I am very confident in both these folks:

Mountain Rose Herbs SENCHA tea is excellent. That's the main one I've gotten. All the herbs from there I've had are so I'm sure all their tea is, too.

Funny, though, my taste can really turn on one after a while.

I'm particularly fond of now, my all time new favorite:

http://www.strandtea.com/Tai-Mu-San-Green-Tea-Organic.html

Tai Mu San -- from Strand Tea in Sandy, OR.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Please listen to this podcast. It's so very important to know if you drink tea.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/heres-the-real-story-behind-your-cup-of-tea/

By P.J. Tobia - PBS NewsHour- February 12, 2016

When you wrap your hands around a toasty cup of tea this winter, consider the source.

Short article with so much more detail in the

11:26 AUDIO PODCAST - the real story behind your cup of tea

[ first 20 seconds is loud, obnoxious music. After that, this is ear friendly.]
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
"Fair Trade" also does not always mean what we think. At 9:30 into the podcast above exposes how deceiving that label can be.

When you research the company from which you buy tea, be sure to look for similar statements in their links pages. Call them, get a sense of who they are and what how they conduct themselves in the world.

I know that this company won't buy from a tea producer unless they've been to the actual estate.

Not in the podcast but a lot of teas crush the leaf and there can be all kinds of other things in with that. Best to get loose LEAF or rolled tea.

A good example:

http://www.strandtea.com/our-philosophy.html

Strand Tea - Our Philosophy

. . . Whenever possible we buy from family businesses, small estates and organic tea producers.

Simply stated, we would like those producing tea to be as happy, healthy, and enriched as those buying the final product.

We are a small, but positive link in bringing quality tea to North America, and at the same time, advocating for decent labor practices, sustainable agriculture, and environmentally sound business practices. . . .
-

Blymey919
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blymey919     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the posts about tea Keebler!

I've been making my own tea combos from bulk herbs both from my garden and ordered online from Mountain Rose Herbs (also order essential oils from them).

{Side note: for garden herbs I use cedarwood and neem to keep most pests away. Borax at the base of pots is a great deterant for ants.

Also I grow citrus geranium and mints around the garden - mint keeps mice and/or rats away, & citrus geranium is high in citronella oils so it's quick to grab a leaf for mosquito repellant when needed!}

Some tea combos I like to make (and usually add raw local honey or Agave nectar to the brew...

General nutrient rich & immune building tea -
Papaya leaf + Rosehips + Nettle + Linden flowers + Amla powder

For pain/inflammation -
Nettle + Devil's Claw + Rosehips + Feverfew + Lavender + Meadowsweet + Passion flower

Posts: 114 | From California | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no_lyme_in_florida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for no_lyme_in_florida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not feeling very well now, so my lyme riddled brain wasn't able to make it through all of the posts, so if this question has been asked or answered, I apologize.

I have been trying to drink a lot of green tea for awhile now, and usually make enough for a pitcher full, and then put it in the refrigerator to be used as iced tea.

I have been using the Bigelow brand green tea that I can readily find at my local Wal Mart or Publix.

Does anyone have an opinion on this brand of green tea? Better or worse than the other brands that are available in local stores? Thanks for any input.

Posts: 233 | From ft. myers, florida | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement