LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » A great product for flea and tick control for your pets

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A great product for flea and tick control for your pets
merrygirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there is an AWESOME product I used on my cats and dogs.

Its called seresto collars. They repel and kill fleas and ticks on BOTH cats and dogs. The collar lasts up to 8 months. It has a breakaway feature in it. I found them cheaper online than at the vet. This is not the usual flea collar.

Frontline isnt working anymore in our area for cats, even indoor cats. But even frontline does not repel ticks.

I am a former vet tech and these have to be the best thing I have found in a long time.

this is the cheapest I could find
http://www.calvetsupply.com/category/s?keyword=seresto

http://www.bayerdvm.com/show.aspx/productdetail/seresto-for-dogs

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rivendell
Member # 19922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivendell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frontline is terrible. I have had fleas in my house. Bitten so many times. No telling what they gave me.

I have asthma so turned to a flea sticky pad, diatomaceaus earth, and a citrus treatment to kill them in my home.

What are the seresto collars? Are they natural?

I have a very sensitive, highly allergic cat and can't afford a medical emergency. Are these collars good for such a cat?

Bacteria and parasites are learning so fast to resist what we use to kill them.

I'm starting to think that the collars that contain cloves, citrus, and other good stuff might be the way to go.

--------------------
Herbal Treatments for Lyme and Co-Infections:
http://buhnerhealinglyme.com
http://www.tiredoflyme.com/the-cowden-protocol-for-lyme-disease.html http://www.sinomedresearch.org http://www.lymenet.org/SupportGroups/

Posts: 1358 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
knock on wood... but frontline still works for us. but these collars look interesting. wonder if they are poisonous to us. But then again I'm sure the frontline is too.
Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dogmom2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dogmom2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
do you think the collars are more toxic or less toxic than the frontline? Due to mcs I have trouble with the frontline even at 1/2 doses.
Posts: 857 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The collars look interesting to me too. I wondered the same... whether they would be toxic to us when we pet our cats and accidentally touch the collar. If it is less toxic than Frontline, I would like to give these a try.
Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peonyprincess
Member # 38611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peonyprincess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frontline and others don't work on ky pets either but seresto does! Just got it about 3 weeks ago and no more fleas.
Posts: 68 | From NE | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peonyprincess
Member # 38611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peonyprincess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frontline and others don't work on ky pets either but seresto does! Just got it about 3 weeks ago and no more fleas.
Posts: 68 | From NE | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anissahope4healing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anissahope4healing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found the Ingredients Label information-

http://bayer.naccvp.com/?e=LSdew7K4HnVeeL2EuzyjnfL5DhrACqQQ&m=product_basic_view&id=1040080

From Wikipedia-
Flumethrin is a pyrethroid insecticide.[1] It is used externally in veterinary medicine against parasitic insects and ticks on cattle, sheep, goats, horses, and dogs.[2]

From Wikipedia

Infobox references
Imidacloprid is a systemic insecticide which acts as an insect neurotoxin and belongs to a class of chemicals called the neonicotinoids which act on the central nervous system of insects with much lower toxicity to mammals. The chemical works by interfering with the transmission of stimuli in the insect nervous system. Specifically, it causes a blockage in the nicotinergic neuronal pathway. This blockage leads to the accumulation of acetylcholine, an important neurotransmitter, resulting in the insect's paralysis, and eventually death. It is effective on contact and via stomach action.[1] Because imidacloprid binds much more strongly to insect neuron receptors than to mammal neuron receptors, this insecticide is selectively more toxic to insects than mammals.[2]

Since I have children, and I also pet our dogs and cat a lot, our whole family does, I would worry about the chemicals affect on us.

Hope the info is helpful.

Posts: 167 | From Southeast Tennessee/Chattanooga/Atlanta | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for this info Annisa. Still not sure as to whether it would be more dangerous to us than Frontline. It is pretty impressive in what it can control!
Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your cat can tolerate frontline drops I think this collar is just fine. Feel free and ask your vet though.

The collar has no odor whatsoever

It is impregnated with active ingredient and it releases a constant dose of med. It in my opinion is better than a blast of topical every month or 3 weeks. That is more risky imo.

The thing with frontline is it does not repel ticks. They can crawl.around and feed for up to 2 days before tgey die. Yuck
I

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

I know! I just ordered more frontline, but think I may give the collars a try when it is time to order more. I book marked the company that sells them. Thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement