LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » owning a DOG and lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: owning a DOG and lyme
LisaK
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, so this is my (not so crazy?) question-

I have an uneutered female dog. So, she has her cycle and there is blood.

Does this blood contain live spirochetes? or babs? or WHATEVER????!!!!

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carmen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If she has lyme disease of course the lyme spirochete will be there. Any disease that is known to be blood born will be there. No way around it.
Posts: 803 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ugh. now what?

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im not a medical person but im pretty sure i read ketes r plentiful in urine too
My dog uses potty pads cuz theres no way i can get her out many days
I use gloves to pick up the pads and wash the floor each time with vinegar. After reading this i may use a stronger cleaner i jave
But fore the joy s he brings me is worth that kind of risk
Im more scared of nymphs and skeeters...
What about ppl with cats...if they go out they can bring in ticks. If not there is a litter box

I need my dog...i know she lowers my bp and calm

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and calms me so my immune system can work...and she makes me laygh a lot and do more exercise

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

yes, dogs are wonderful. I am just ready to say goodbye to all that 'bugs' me including my HUGE flower garden! wawawa....

BTW, TEA TREE OIL could possibly kill anything, so I have just prayed the floor with a few drops mixed in water

and I intend on now adding a few drops every time I mop the floor. Tea tree oil kills more than vinegar.

--------------------

merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Former vet tech here.

Everyone just settle down.

I personally doubt very much that IF your dog has lyme that therewould be spirochetes coming out of her. Secondly, even Iif there were you would have to injest them, or get them into your eye.

There are doggie diaper pads you can get.

My take away advice....

Please just get the dog spayed. Its better for her, and you dont have to deal with a mess

Really its ok.

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

well she is a pure bred bouvier and she is spectacular so we had planned on breeding her

but now I don't give a ____ about that.

I sew and am making her diapers that I know she will chew off within seconds, haha

AND.... I think you must read more merrygirl as the new findings all say that these buggers ARE in blood (babs, especially , right?) and urine and tears and saliva and semen!

I only asked here about her 'period' blood hoping it might be different?!

o well

sometimes I just think why bother, everyone is going to have this in 20 years anyway

--------------------

Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the sake of your dogs health and your peace of mind get her spayed. Honestly there are so many homeless dogs sitting in shelters every day while people go out and buy pure breds, never understood it...
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lisa, I totally understand wanting to keep her in tact. Bouviers are gorgeous anyway and if she's spectacular both in look, health, and temperament...and you do think you may have the energy to breed her (and raise puppies) in the next few years... I totally understand.

I wouldn't get her spayed just because you think her blood has ketes... I would get her spay if you don't think your gonna feel up to breeding her in the next few years.

I do believe the ketes are everywhere blood, urine, saliva, but at some point you gotta say... Whatever.

I don't believe cleaning up after a dog exposes you to re infection.... More likely that she would bring in nymphs from her walks....

But then again, as someone 8 years in to being a first time dog owner (2 havanese) what are you gonna do? I love my furkids to pieces. I'm as careful as I can be... I do poison them monthly with Frontline, I check what I can... But they're family.... They live where we live.

When I first started treating and was so sick I could barely get up to let them out.... And couldn't look at them with out seeing them as free rides for ticks... I thought about different scenarios where they would be rehomed... I just couldn't go there... They were banned from our bed....for about a week.

I'm feeling better now and so happy they are still here.

Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to turn this thread into a neuter vs non-neuter debate but at various times in my life I have casually looked into this debate and there has been a lot of new evidence to neuter or spay later rather than earlier, especially in large breeds.

I have read various threads about this and some people, because of experiences in their own household, have wished they had spayed/neutered later. Or they wished they had waited until the dog had reached full maturity or the growth plates had closed.

Interesting article here:

https://www.zora.uzh.ch/25291/1/Surgical.pdf

LisaK sounds like a responsible dog owner.

Posts: 832 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carmen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I beg to differ. If the dog is having her monthly period and bleeding there will be spirochetes in that blood.

Have you ever looked at the blood of someone with lyme or babesia? Its in the blood. Exactly how contageous this would be is unknown. I doubt anyone has done any studies on that aspect, but certianly, after 27 years of nursing I clearly know that blood from a sick person is a contaminant and you defend yourself against it.
I will most difinately say this, blood that has MRSA or any number of other diseases in it is a health risk and needs containment.

Posts: 803 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it is probably in the blood, but unless you touch it with a hand or finger that has an open cut you should be safe.

I would be far more worried about the TICKS the dog can bring inside.

The Bouvier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxeUqyim-2g

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Lyme is not always in our blood, but hiding out in the tissue, why would it always be in dogs' blood?

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dogs do not get a monthly period thank goodness.

Has the dog tested positive for lyme
If not then try not to worry. It is lot of "what ifs"

You might not want to breed a dog with lyme because lyme and co def go through the placentas

Skip frontline for dogs and cats. It isnt working.
Look into seresto collars. They can be worn by cats and dogs. Repells and kills ticks and fleas up to 7-8 months.

I used them over the summer and not one bug.

Cheapest I found was $45ish at calvetsupply.com

Its cheaper than the drops monthly.

Its a steady release ofva frontline type drug and something else.

Highly suggest them

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dog had the revolutions drops. Gave her those for 7 years.

Also had all the vaccines-I believe the lyme vaccine was in there also; we used to camp swim hike every weekend, all over the province.

She still caught lyme, babesia and I'm sure bartonella, and the complications from those (major organ involvement) required her to be euthanised.

Sorry to be a downer about this but I believe dogs are just as susceptible to these darn infections as we are.

I would gladly tack another 10 years of TBD on myself, to have saved her from that suffering and to still have her here.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Lisa-how are you able to keep her coat ok...i have trouble with a 9 lb ball of fluff that gets groomed and cut short every 2 months

One thing i found after my black/grey schnauzers is a white dog is much easier to find ticks on and if there is a flea you see flea dirt right away and can deal with it early

I had the schaunzers get the lyme vaccine cuz i trusted my vet when she told me dogs reacted different than ppl but the 3 rd time they got the shot they were both paralyzed from the waist down for 24 hours. it was awful they were so confused I have never given a dog the lyme vaccine again they went on to live to 17 and I just gave them Doxie when I found a tick they never showed lyme symptoms again but I did pull a number of ticks off them

that said...bouviers look beautiful and fun. (i had no idea but saw tutus link) and i can see as long as you are a dog person they might be wonderful

i have never bred dogs so have no comment on all of that

but merry...is it true that dogs react different than humans to the vaccine...is it safer for them...is it really supposed to work?

and merry...you sound like the test for lyme for dogs works...is there a reason it works for them and not ppl?

thanks.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kayak.. We had a white poodle/beagle mix dog when I was growing up. Mom always said she never wanted another dog unless it was white because it was so easy to see if they have fleas or ticks! [Smile]

Also .. I have heard that the test for lyme they use for dogs is WAY BETTER than the ones for humans. Go figure. Could it be that they indeed DO NOT WANT TO KNOW if we have Lyme??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

We HAVE a rescue dog. This bouvier fell in our laps and we couldn't pass her up.

There is a difference. and if people bred responsibly there wouldn't be such a terrible overpopulation of unwanted shelter dogs in the first place!

Our shelter is over run with has been dogs that unresponsible jerks buy for their own stupid selfish reasons (pitbulls) and then as soon as the females have pups they take the old *****es to the shelter or let them roam the streets!

It is disgusting.

Our rescue dog is great too, but nothing beats a bouvier.

--------------------

LisaK
Member # 41384

Kudz, yes, that was our intention. to breed soon, but that was before I knew I had all these nice visitors in my body! I just found out this past summer and I have been sick for over 16 years, so....

I am sad it has turned out this way. This kids really want to breed her and of course we (husband and I ) do too, but i just told them I really don't want to take care of anything I don't have to right now

as I am sure you relate. I have lived through deaths including 2 suicides and I think THIS has to be the absolute most horrible thing that has ever happened to me.

I mean, death is terrible, but we all die and it is part of the cycle of all life, but to live in a tortured state of all this physical and mental anguish..... I hate it. and there is no light at the end for me

not yet anyway.

so, I don't think I want to breed a dog any time soon. But I have no $ to get her fixed now since we spent everything on me getting (slightly) better at this point.

life is so hard

--------------------

LisaK
Member # 41384

lymetoo, thanks for the youtube link!

Here is one that I really like and it shows a lot of what these dogs cam do. they are super smart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qWIo2CHn1A

and yes, ticks....that is always on my mind. ugh

--------------------

LisaK
Member # 41384

I have been using a collar on our mut for years- ever since he had terrible neuro attack from Frontline.

They are the natural collars and he has never had a tick since. He is white, and has long hair, but our Bouvier got ticks when she was a pup - before any meds or collar was safe! and she got sick and almost died!

It was so terrible. She has symptoms and I am pretty sure she has TBD. very sad for us. and I now wish I had no pets, but they are here and we are dealing with it best we can.

Since wearing the collar we have found no ticks on her.

I keep her trimmed in the spring/summer and let fur grow in in the winter.

nymphs are undetectable on anything I feel, and the bane of my existence. what can we do? they are everywhere. I live in PA so I feel pretty discouraged.

and broke, so changing anything at this point is impossible

--------------------

lpkayak
Member # 5230

When my small dog was too young for flea and tick meds i bought horse spray that has small dose of permethrin in it and i sprayed her bed so each day she had some time on it and ticks are very susceptible to the permethin-they curl up and die when they get six inches or so from it...but you have to read about the perm first

I used it on a 20 lb schnauzer and he lived happily til 17

--------------------

Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lisa, I am sorry. You sound in a bad place. I think we all totally get it. Sometimes you can find a spay/neuter clinic that will do it for a small donation. In the meantime try not to stress over becoming infected from her. Take the precautions you can, and then just let go of the rest... What can we do? They are part of our families.

I don't know if this will help at all, but my first 6 /7 months of treatment was hell... And then I got a break... It was up and down... But it does get better, and then it gets worse and finally more consistently better. I was sick for 22 years before my Dx. I don't remember what it feels like to be totally well... But I am so much better. I wish this happens for you too.

6/7 months is really a short time... It feels like forever, the better times to come will give you the energy to continue... Hang in there.

Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

thanks for the encouragement Kudz!

[Smile] ))))

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement