LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Gynostemma - Jio Gu Lan TEA

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gynostemma - Jio Gu Lan TEA
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
A new "love of my life" tea. So good. And no caffeine, so can be enjoyed at night.

GYNOSTEMMA - Basic Links set

- Gynostemma pentaphyllum, also called jiaogulan or Jiao Gu Lan - china's 'immortality' herb

http://www.strandtea.com/Jiao-Gu-Lan-Gynostemma.html

TEA from Strand Tea, Dec. 2013 - 8 oz. (about 200 grams) is $16. Using one tea sieve (2 tsp.) for 2 - 3 15 oz. cups a day, four ounces will last about 3 weeks.

Other forms form various naturopathic doctors, etc.

-------------

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Gynostemma+pentaphyllum

PubMed Search:

Gynostemma pentaphyllum - 204 abstracts

Gynostemma pentaphyllum, liver - 32 abstracts

Gynostemma pentaphyllum, heart - 5 abstracts

Gynostemma pentaphyllum, glucose - 26 abstracts

Gynostemma pentaphyllum, fatigue - one, here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Gynostemma+pentaphyllum%2C+fatigue

[Immunomodulatory action of the total saponin of Gynostemma pentaphylla].

. . . saponin content . . .

------------

ITM carries at least one herbal formula (tablets) with this, Gynostemma Tablets (Seven Forests). See Bag of Pearls book. and their website:

www.itmonline.org

ITM Traditional Chinese Medicine Research Site --- Search: Gynostemma - 17 articles

Excerpts from that search:

. . . gynostemma (jiaogulan), also contain ginseng-type saponin components. . . .

. . . gynostemma is a tonic herb . . .

http://www.itmonline.org/arts/luohanguo.htm

[Speaking of the relatives] Luo Han Guo (luohanguo) refers to the fruit of Siraitia grosvenori, formerly called Momordica grosvenori, a member of the Curcubitaceae (1). The fruit is well-known for its sweet taste; this plant family (Gourd family) has other members that contain remarkable sweet components, including additional species of the genus Siraitia (e.g., S. siamensis, S. silomaradjae, S. sikkimensis, S. africana, S. borneensis, and S. taiwaniana 2)

and the popular herb jiaogulan (Gynostemma pentaphyllum). . . .

. . . .The beginning of research into the sweet component of luohanguo is attributed to C.H. Lee, who published an English report in 1975 (12), and to Tsunematsu Takemoto working in Japan in the early 1980s (he later turned his attention to studying jiaogulan (3).

that reference: 3. Blumert M and Liu Jialiu, Jiaogulan: China's Immortality Herb, 1999 Torchlight Pub., Badger, CA.

Not in Tillotson's book.

------------------

Specialty site:

http://www.gynostemma.org/

Gynostemma

Miracle tea for radiant health - . . .pour hot (not boiling) water into the pot & let it steep for about 5 minutes or longer before serving. . . .

an age old herb in traditional Chinese herbology. It has been widely researched. It is a true rejuvenator / antiaging herb as it is an immunomodulator, adaptogen, antioxidant, anti-cancer, neuroprotective, nootropic and hepatoprotective. . . .

. . . The chemical constituents responsible for the adaptogenic characteristic of Gynostemma are saponins (gypenosides). Gynostemma contains the widest range of saponins from all the plants in nature.

There are more than 75 different saponins in Gynostemma Pentaphyllum which is nearly four times the number of saponins found in Ginseng. The PubMed database already lists over 11,000 research papers that explore and explain the benefits of saponins. . . .

------------------

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22516894

Phytomedicine. 2012 Jun 15;19(8-9):812-8. doi: 10.1016/j.phymed.2012.03.012. Epub 2012 Apr 17.

. . . anti-oxidative enzyme expression
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Nefferdun just posted this in an adrenal discussion:

JIAOGULAN.

http://www.herb.com/jgl.html

I first learned about this herb when it was recommended by the equine nutritionist, Eleanor Kellon, for horses with laminitis, which is a condition that causes swelling of the laminae in the feet resulting in serious damage.

One teaspoon is given to the horse on an empty stomach. It promotes nitric oxide, which opens capillaries. This treatment saved many horses. . . .
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler,
Did you take the tea? That's what I just bought. Gynostemma leaves.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Likely the same. Is there a second word after Gynostemma on the package? Is it "pentaphyllum"? With plants, that second name is often much more important than just relying on the first.

My tea package does list both first and second name for this [I get it from Strand Tea in Sandy, OR].

What's important, too, is that you can trace the point of origin and know how it was tended, etc.

I have not taken this in months as there have been other teas that have rotated into my attention and other medicinal herbs used.

At first, I loved the taste . . . then, not so much. But taste is not really the point of this (still, stevia does help). If you prefer a different taste, you can follow up with a tea for your taste buds (after getting the goodness from this one).

How it is STEEPED can change the taste. If bitter, the water may have been too hot (or steeped too long). Never use boiling water.

As the kettle is just about ready, if you can just barely touch it, that should be about 160 - 170 degrees and the best for green teas.

This is not a "green" tea but an herb tea, though, for all aerial parts of herbs (above ground leaves, buds, flowers) water should never be boiling, whether for tea or tincture as then the medicinal properties could be ruined.

You can test with your meat thermometer once and then gauge as to that second or two of "touchability" so to speak from there on out.

I would not use a microwave for water as it can get it far too hot and, well, I just don't like the idea of microwaved anything going into my body.

Glad to see your note as a reminder. It is about time to restart this, though. It does have a deep earthy, heartiness to it. I hope you enjoy it and that you feel some benefit over time.
-

[ 09-04-2015, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You can enlarge the photo here to see what the leaves should look like, rather bunched or curly (yet still whole leaves and not cut and sifted) - very light in weight.

If you use a tea strainer inside of a mug, this (as most teas) can be brewed twice for sure, even the third brewing can be added into your second cup when that's about half finished.

http://www.strandtea.com/Jiao-Gu-Lan-Gynostemma.html
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement