LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Medicare Carrier Certification Letter? Trying to enroll - D-SEP

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Medicare Carrier Certification Letter? Trying to enroll - D-SEP
susank
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been trying to enroll in Part B.

Disabled -Special Enrollment Period.

I have talked to numerous SSA agents and get different answers each time - and time is running out. Coverage ends this month.

The only thing I have received from the HR Dept. is a letter saying that my coverage ends April 30 and that I am eligible for Cobra. (will decline).

The Cobra folks sent me a "Certificate of Creditable Coverage".

HR Dept says that is all they ever send to disabled employees losing their group health insurance.

Some SSA agents have told me I need a Medicare Carrier Certification letter. HR Dept doesn't know what that is.

Does an enrollee really need a MCC letter?
If yes - who sends it?

I have never had Parts B and D. Only A - never used.

Does anyone know the form number for a MCC letter? Have an example?

Another SSA agent said all SSA/Medicare is interested in is proof of continous health coverage.

Would the Cobra Cert. of Creditable Coverage suffice? The HR Dept. seems to think so.

Thanks any help.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
IGM 18,28,41,66 IND: 23-25,34,39
IGG 41,58 IND: 39
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you haven't already, ask to speak to a supervisor when you call medicare.

Be firm and say you've heard different things for from different reps and you really need to talk to a supervisor who understands eligibility.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read this website:

http://www.ssa.gov/disabilityresearch/wi/medicare.htm

Near the very bottom it talks about COBRA and your situation. But, there is other info that applies to you near the top.

Call the Medicare number rather than Social Security, just like it keeps saying on this website.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susank
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Further:
Was supposed to have a conference call today with Cigna and the HR Dept. Didn't happen.

This appears to be what SSA wants:

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0600805300

"...Beneficiary will also be given a copy of the Medicare Carrier Certification letter that certifies that Medicare (will be) the primary payer..."

I found this online - which could be what SSA wants:

https://www.bcbswny.com/content/bcbs_empl_form_Medicarecert.pdf

To check box:

"...member is considered active...elected Medicare as primary payer...please cancel group health plan coverage...".

This example is on BCBS letterhead.

The Cigna rep. doesn't think they supply these forms. Neither does my HR Dept. Neither have anything to do with Medicare.

What documents have others filled out when transitioning from an employer group health care plan to Medicare Part B?

Were the required forms sent to you? When?
From whom?
My coverage ends April 30th. This is a nightmare. Help please!!! Thanks.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG, I wish I could help, but I am going through the EXACT same thing. In fact, I thought it was ME asking the questions! You're right, it is a nightmare.

An explanation letter came in the mail and it just made me more confused! My husband got laid off mid-April. If I don't get this stupid Carrier Certification Letter to SS by May 20th, then I'm "ineligible" to receive Medicare! The HR dept. at hubby's former employer has no idea, either!

Were you able to figure this out yet? If you have, can you let me in on how this works? Thank you!

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susank
Member # 22150

LL - will get back to you later.

I got approved w/o the MCCL. Stressful.

I'll let you know what we learned and what we did.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

susank
Member # 22150

LL - I finally asked to talk on the phone to a SSA supervisor.

I answered some questions and they sent me a form that they partially filled out for me. It came in the mail a few days later. I put date, signature etc and completed the form.

That form was:
"Application For Enrollment In Medicare - The Medical Insurance Program".

Form: CMS-40B (1-90)

You could possibly find that form online, print and fill it out yourself. Note - it has to be the updated form with the "(1-90)" on it - or so I was told.

Then on the employer's letterhead the following letter (cobbled together to give the SSA the info they needed):
-------
Date

Full address of your local SSA office

Re: Your name - D-SEP

To whom it may concern:

Please allow this letter to serve as evidence of LGHP coverage giving - your name - the immediate opportunity to enroll in Medicare Part B.

We do not have a Medicare Carrier Certification Letter form. Nor was the SSA able to provide us with one. HI 00805.310 instructions were advised to be used instead.

Please be informed of the dates that - your name - was covered under our LGHP:

XXXX X, XXXX through April 30, 2014.

The LGHP has always been primary.

Medicare would, therefore, become the primary payer: May 1, 2014.

Form CMS 40B will be filled out by - your name - and presented to your office.

Sincerely,
- name -
- title -
----------

I had composed the letter.
The supervisor of the benefits dept. typed it on the company letterhead, signed it - PDF'd it to me to print out.

I was unable to go to the SSA office personally - so had the documents Fed Ex'd to them.

So get the address of your nearest SSA office - the one that would be partly involved in your approval process - and their phone number.

I submitted the CMS form, the letter AND a printout of the POMS HI 00805.310 Disability SEP Enrollment procedure instructions.

You should be able to google and find the POMS pages to print out. They are probably not necessary - but I wanted to send the SSA the instructions that they were supposed to be following!

Plus my copy of the POMS had been faxed to me by the SSA and so I had proof of what they had advised me to do. At the bottom of each POMS page was shown "SSA" and their fax number - proving it came from them. I circled all that "evidence".

Anyway, that's what I did. It took about two weeks to find out I had been approved for Part B.

I called the local SSA office a few times - following up - one agent asked if I had marked "Urgent" on the remarks section. I had not. He said I should have put a sticky on the application stating that coverage was ending and Part B coverage needed ASAP.

If you present the documents in person - things this regard might be a little different.

Hope this helps. PS - You'll have to figure out what dates to put in for coverage and what day you need Part B to be effective. I think it can be backdated? Ask.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Susank, I've read your message and can't thank you ENOUGH for the information you have shared with me. I am going to SS office personally this week because 2 weeks ago they told me I finally DID provide all the necessary documents to get Part B.

Well, I received a Medicare card last week and it only mentions Part A. I freaked out, but my sister told me her card only says Part A but she is also signed up for Part B! That's why I want to go to SS office personally - to make sure I really do have Part B backdated to May 1st.

I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier - I totally forgot I'd asked the question! (Lyme brain)!

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement