LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » EGGS - where do they come from, really?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: EGGS - where do they come from, really?
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Update: March 13, 2018 - see post below for this date as all regulations just literally flew out the window.

It will take more research on the part of the consumer to know which vendors are credible. No longer will store labels matter. More in that post just added.

--------------

Original post:

Very important food for thought. What may seem like subtle descriptive differences can be a world away from what we think we are getting.

And, while they may cost less, eating eggs from some hens in tight quarters is no bargain for our bodies / brains. It matters. A lot.

Major issues rest with "Cage-Free" even "Free Range" -- not the best mark, it seems. See photos, too:

http://aspieventures.com/2012/07/17/eggs-where-do-i-start/

Aspie Ventures - Scroll down for essay & photos:

EGGS. Where do I start? - July 17, 2012

Summary

From best to worst. Combinations of any are to be expected.

1. Pastured
2. Soy Free
3. Organic
4. Free-Range
5. Cage Free
-

[ 03-13-2018, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/why-organic-store-eggs-are-a-scam/

Why Organic Eggs From the Store [May Be] a Scam

Carton Labels and What They Mean

(great chart but you have to scroll way down past the point that looks like the article ended. Keep going).
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eggs-cellent post!
A dozen eggs are now 6.99 at the chain grocery stores near my home.

I often wonder if the eggs I eat are, "bad energy" or "good energy" eggs, meaning did the chicken have the ability to peck around and explore.

The best I can find are free-range, which basically means they can roam (how much? I don't know) and don't have their beaks cut off.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
No, (sorry). I thought that was true but found out that Free Range does NOT mean they can roam. Not at all. They are in a closed in patio of sorts attached to the barn where they spend most of their time - some fresh air in the pen maybe just for a short time each day, with lots and lots of other chickens.

Beaks are still cut on "free range" and "cage free"

"Organic" feed also does not mean what we are led to believe.

See the first article that explains the definitions.

Pastured means they can roam.

Good eggs are still worth it. Fabulous nutrients. I figure if an egg can make a chicken, it's got to have a lot going for it!

Find the local egg producers near you.

Aside from good or bad "energy" - an animal that does not eat well, is not raised as it should with non-chemical food, enough room, etc., will not produce healthy eggs. It cannot. So many factors that affect an animal's health. And stress is over over-looked.

Same for chicken (or any meat), as we buy it. But that's another topic.

With Farmers' Markets all around, now is really good time to get to know your local farmers and egg producers and ranchers.

For those home bound, look up your area Farmer Market websites. They usually have the vendors listed. Then you can see their sites, contact them, find out what stores they sell to near you, etc.

A friend or relative can then finish the hunt to establish your resource / supplier guide.

Or call your area markets and ask to talk to the manager of that department.
-

[ 06-23-2014, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pasture raised are the best.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just do the best I can when it comes to the eggs. I buy them from a local market who gets them from a local farm. I can't delve into all the minute details.

I buy organic as often as possible and from local farmers as much as possible.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I work hard for "certified humane" in addition to organic, hoping that gets me pretty good quality. This is a difficult one without getting to know someone local who is raising the eggs, and really seeing first-hand that it is done well.
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Even the term "certified humane" does not mean what we think and some egg producers can skirt that. I was very surprised to learn of that.

The article above was an eye opener for my on that so I found the terms to use to find eggs that are best for my body / brain.

We may not be able to go to the chicken ranch but we can still research the company, farm, etc. on the web, with our stores' buyers, and figure out how far the eggs travel, etc. Some have photos.

If we don't look and learn, we continue to allow and pay our money to perpetuate dishonesty & even cruelty in the practice.

We may not have access to "pastured" eggs (as free range or cage free does not even mean what we think) . . . but we can at least know what we are getting and then come closer to what we want both for ourselves and for the hens providing the eggs.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/why-organic-store-eggs-are-a-scam/

Egg carton label chart, scroll down a ways to find
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
They are in Yelm, WA and supply in that region. I'm lucky enough to have these in my grocery store. I had more questions after reading their site and just called them for a nice conversation.

Not quite the "Portlandia" experience yet was glad to make a connection with the very people who supply what goes into the making of my brain tissue.

There are similar egg producers all over the country. This is just a good example of what to look for. Scroll all the way down before clinking onto any links.

http://www.stiebrsfarms.com/

Stiebrs Farms - The Egg People
-

kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good pun Greta

I purchase my eggs from the local ma and pa health food store most of the time $3.00 a dozen.

I have learned to put them in a pan of water to see how fresh they are sometimes.

In the past, I have always had 2 that I needed to toss out.

I did not test them this time. But, I noticed they are starting to mark the cartoons on where they came from so that is good.

The last time I tested them was when they had someone bring fresh eggs to us here at the apartment for $3.00 a dozen.

The past two times, I have had to toss out 2 eggs from them so went back to getting them at the ma and pa store.

They are local eggs too and I assume the owners of the store know their sellers and have at least visited their place...seems I recall them telling me this when they first started selling local eggs.

I was confused when I first started purchaseing eggs at the grocery store too ..especially after I watched the movie ..dang..can't recall what it was called Food Inc maybe.

I am stilll confused at which ones to get at the grocery store

I will come back and try to read the posts when able.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
kam,

$3. for a doz. good eggs is a fabulous bargain. I pay over well over $6. for the good Omega 3 eggs. Part of that is living in a large city, though.

Still, for four full servings of protein (3 eggs = 18 grams, desired amount per meal) . . . for fuel to build my brain tissue, I understand the farm has their costs to also consider, and the store.

Do wish I could buy directly from the source, though. My ruby slippers just don't work like they should to get me around!

Trader Joe's does have a similar organic Omega 3 egg with some of the code words but they will not disclose where they eggs come from, how far they travel for how many days, etc. And their code words don't hold up well, too vague.

I think they just can't as they have many suppliers. But it also seems a way to hide behind that so we can't be too sure. As budget is very tight, I've gotten those and compared.

They don't come close in rich color (they are paler) or taste (just not as "fresh" tasting). And it's about more than taste but that is an indication of nutrients, too.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://eating-made-easy.com/2012/07/27/trader-joes-myths-and-facts/

Trader Joe’s Myths and Facts

(about more than just eggs. Where they shine & where they could use some changes)

By Amelia Winslow on July 27, 2012

Excerpt:

. . . (Myth) The eggs are from happy hens.

Yes all Trader Joe’s eggs are “cage-free,” but that doesn’t mean much, as most egg farms have over-crowded barns instead of cages. . . .
-

[ 08-21-2014, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

MannaMe
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have a few chickens of our own. They are penned up overnight until lunch time the next day. Then they roam free until bedtime again.

It is amazing how the yolks are orange instead of pale yellow when the chickens are roaming free.

We pen them up til lunch time so the eggs are laid in the hen house and not just anywhere on the property!

Posts: 2247 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
MannaMe,

I love the image of the egg hunt that could ensue were they to have free reign all day long.

Did you see the film "Chicken Run"? If not, you will surely enjoy it.

Yeah, I think the yolk color and flavor can tell us a lot. And if they are not well cared for and "happy" their eggs are just not going to be very good fuel for us. But some don't know what a good egg is supposed to look & taste like.

Same with any animal protein or fish. Stress hormones of animals who are not well tended can also adversely affect us.
-

kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
caught the part about ruby slippers to get around...we'll have to work on that..mine need plishing too
Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

i have read that some people with lyme become alergic to a lot of different foods. I have found that true with me. I wonder how one knows if eggs are on the list of things we should not be eating
amyb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amyb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MannaMe

We have chickens too [Smile] ours roam all day and just wonder into the coop to lay and come back out. It's our first year and I have yet to eat one of their eggs. I'm so odd! It came out of my chickens butt lol- I know they are the healthiest eggs I will eat but ugh

Kam- I watched Food Inc 6 weeks ago and haven't eaten meat or GMO products since!

--------------------
Good friends are like stars... You don't always see them, but you know they are always there!!!

Posts: 362 | From west chester, pa | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ever get a double yolk? It is supposed to mean "good luck".

There are an amazing amt. of nutrients in Uncooked egg YOLK...cook the white!

Origin...which came first? The egg.

We have to back waaaaaaaaay up...

In the following link, find these words:

the early embryo

http://tinyurl.com/ph8y4kv

Pulses...that's what I'm talking about...that is -- the "God factor"...BELIEVE it or not.

EVERY life form is dependent on "pulses" which originated from the first pulse.

Think about it this way...no pulse = dead. Pulse = life. NO pulse (actually < 0.1 Hz = death.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amyb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amyb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We just did get one yesterday with a double yolk and I could use some luck

Hope your well Marnie [Smile]

--------------------
Good friends are like stars... You don't always see them, but you know they are always there!!!

Posts: 362 | From west chester, pa | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read the above and then consider this:

When the woman with Ebola left isolation (was cured) she said, "Glory to God." According to a news broadcast early this evening.

She did NOT say, "Glory to the doctors."

HE is within you. HE can help your recover.

Believe.

P.S. Fresh eggs - hard boiled - are very difficult to peel.

In case you wanted to know why...in case you are ever a egg-trivia game contestant ;-)

this is why:

http://www.yumsugar.com/Why-Fresh-Eggs-Difficult-Peel-When-Hard-Boiled-7429332

Food for thought.

[ 08-21-2014, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: Marnie ]

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MayBeeOK
Member # 43632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MayBeeOK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Organic from a local framer is the way to go
Use to have a few hens until the foxes got to them.

Miss those fresh eggs and the fox fur made a nice addition to the living room couch.

If you have cholesterol problem you can eat your eggs anyway you want except scrambled. By breaking the yolk you oxidize it thus increasing the cholesterol in the egg.

So if you bake a cake with lots of eggs, when you beat them up, the yolks oxidize thus increasing the cholesterol.

As the egg gets older the cholesterol levels increase, So you have to be careful in eating an 10 day old egg so you can peel it.

Posts: 10 | From North New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
https://www.motherjones.com/food/2018/03/your-organic-cage-free-eggs-might-come-from-hens-locked-up-all-day/

Your Organic “Cage-Free” Eggs Might Come From Hens Locked Up All Day

By Tom Philpott - Mother Jones - March 12, 2018

Excerpt:

. . . The Organic Livestock and Poultry Practices rules would have also filled in other animal-welfare gaps on organic code.

In a report last year, the Washington Post’s Peter Whoriskey found one large organic egg operation raising birds indoors at “more than three hens per square foot of floor space.”

The new rules [that were put in place by previous administration to take effect soon but are now being dropped] would have ensured at least one square foot per bird.

“Today’s announcement is a subversion of comprehensive federal animal welfare standards approved by the USDA,

and it will prove crippling to family farmers all across the nation who treat their animals well and want to be able to market their products under an authentic ‘organic’ label,”

the Humane Society of the United States said in a statement.

“We are appalled by this action, and plan to mount a major effort to reverse a decision that will contribute to hollowing out rural communities

and that will allow factory farmers to trick the public and sell their products at a premium under a deficient organic label.”
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement