LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Ideas to keep cat from using doorway as scratching post

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ideas to keep cat from using doorway as scratching post
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried to do a search on amazon and with google on what to do to keep cat from using the corners of the doorway to my bedroom and bathroom as a scartching post.

I read that vinegar sprayed on the couch would stop them from using the couch as a scratching post....but she isn't doing that

I did try using vinegar on the doorways but that didn't seem to help.

She does have a cat thing for scratching her paws but she doens't use it

I know when my brain is working better I can do some more resarch on this.

Typing this with eyse closed.

Thought maybe you might have a solution that you can tell me in one sentence.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just clean the corners every once in a while with a little dish soap and water--it comes right off.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our cats also love these self petting stations:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Self-Petting-Station/

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd try putting a scratching post in the corner of the room covering the place that she likes to scratch.

The corner sounds like it's just too interesting for kitty. Maybe even something else on the corner that's large and fits into the space.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kbone
Member # 43682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kbone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Foil. Google it!

--------------------
Diagnosed with Lyme 4/7/14

KB

Posts: 87 | From Townsend, MA | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kbone
Member # 43682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kbone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay just rereading since you are having a hard time researching online.

Tape foil to any surfaces that cat is scratching. My grandparents did this with their cat works like a charm.

--------------------
Diagnosed with Lyme 4/7/14

KB

Posts: 87 | From Townsend, MA | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Kbone...I will give that a try...

AT first I tought it was me causing the wood on the molding to be broken in pieces...I thought I was hitting it with my power chair.

but, I stipped using the power chair in the ouse/apartment

then, saw the cat using the side of the door way molding to do wahtever cats do with their calses...she does the same thing on thes tree truck outside when I take Rosie otu for her morning toileting and evening toileting.

The cat goes with us and uses the tree trunk to do wahteve rti is she is doing with her nails.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Foil, then a spray bottle of water if you can catch him/her in the act. Spray the cat. She will live over it.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My cat got use to the water when I used the spray bottle. Eventually he started jumping into the bathtub and LIKED water.

A metal can filled with coins that I shake is what I use now when the cats are behaving badly..

I tried foil. It didn't work for me. My cats are weird though.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The metal can is a good one!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pet stores carry double-sided tape you can put on the area. Be sure to buy the kind at the pet store even though it costs more because the adhesive is safe. Regular tape adhesive is not safe. I would only use this after trying many other options.

Try placing a different kind of scratching post near where she scratches. She may not like the one you have. Does she stand up to scratch the doorway? If so, try getting a tall scratching post. This may work since she also likes to scratch trees. Cats have to scratch, it is instinctual.

If you catch her scratching the doorway, tell her no and place her on or near the scratching post. Praise her when she uses it and/or give her treats.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree with others.

Tinfoil taped on favorite scratching place.

Soup can filled with pennies or pebbles. Shake when cat being bad.

And double sided tape.

Also available is static mat-gives cats static when touch it.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Sounds like a trip to the pet store is in store for next month.

Wishing I had noticed she was doing this before the molding got too bad. It needs replacing now.

I thought I was doing it with my power chair. HA!

Yes. A different cat scratch post hopefully will work.

The one she has is tall but there is a table on the top for her to sit on. She does sit on the table and watch out the window.

But, has never used the pole part to scratch

I also will look into the double sided tape.

kam
Member # 3410

I usually don't catch her sharpening her nails.

She has two spots...the bathroom molding and the front door molding...

So, I will try covering them up with two sided tape and putting a cat scratch post next to the front door molding as there is room there to put one.

I will look for something like a tree. HA! She seems to like wood. [Smile]

kam
Member # 3410

Able to check out the cat stand I have

It comes up to my hips.

The scratches on the molding are higher..so when I am able to get a cat scratch stand, I need somethign that comes up to my waist.

kam
Member # 3410

The cat is smaller than most cats around here.

But, she does like to stretch up. [Smile]

Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kam:
The cat is smaller than most cats around here.

But, she does like to stretch up. [Smile]

Even small cats can be pretty tall when they stand up and stretch out!

It sounds like you have a plan! I think it will work [Smile] Keep us "posted!" Pun intended!

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

[Smile]
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
off outdoor spray

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mvdr
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mvdr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use clear packaging tape. Works well and not unsightly
Posts: 143 | From Pittsburgh | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Please don't use OFF spray. You don't need those chemicals in your apartment!

One thing about putting tape or foil on the molding... won't the cat just find another place? So you'd have to tape all of the molding in your apartment??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Sammi
Member # 110

quote:
Originally posted by randibear:
off outdoor spray

This would not be safe for the cat. Cats groom themselves often, and your cat could ingest this if it is on her paws.

If you want to apply something to the area, it must be safe. You could also call your vet for recommendations.

kam
Member # 3410

My plan is to get a scratching post out of next month's budget that is taller than the one I currently have and put it on one of the spots.

And then cover the other spot with that tape that was mentioned. Well, actually both spots with the tape that she is using.

Amazon has a cat scratch post that seems to be a favorite.

Thanks for helping me sort this out. The brain doesnt' problem solve like it use to.

kam
Member # 3410

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000634MH8/ref=dra_a_rv_ff_fx_it_P2000_1000?tag=dradisplay-20&ascsubtag=4a251a2ef9bbf4ccc35f97aba2c9cbda

This is the one that is the best seller.

It is 32 inches high. I need to measure where the cat is scratching to see if that is high enough.

And I need to see if I can order the tape that is mentioned on line too.

kam
Member # 3410

Able to measure scratch marks on molding door ways.

MOst are at 32 inches but some at 33 and 34 inches.

So, kind of looks like I need a taller post.

Sammi
Member # 110

This scratching post looks awesome, and it has great reviews. I think it is worth trying. Your cat will probably prefer the material on the post.
kam
Member # 3410

Glad I posted the link here. I tried to go back to amazon and did a search for a cat posts and it dint' come up.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement