LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » America's Test Kitchen GF book

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: America's Test Kitchen GF book
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
A friend came over yesterday and brought two slices of home baked gluten free bread. It was amazing. Just like the photo in the ad below.

It was moist, had some give to it and did not rip up my mouth tissue like so many other GF breads I've tried over the years. Even with a quick peek at their site, I see why. They really know the chemistry behind this.

Now, of course, it's still best to avoid sugar and finely ground flours, even if GF - for those managing candida & glycemic issues. However, there are all sorts of recipes here and the basic tricks can be transferred to recipes - and overall balanced meals - that are the most healthful for us.

http://howcanitbeglutenfree.com/

America’s Test Kitchen Revolutionizes Gluten-Free Cooking

The HOW CAN IT BE GLUTEN FREE COOKBOOK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ2-GTx-Zq0

YouTube - a one minute look at some of their creations from the book
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Additional links that may not be evident at first glance:

http://howcanitbeglutenfree.com/gluten-free-recipes/

Gluten-Free Recipes

Scroll down for: The America’s Test Kitchen Gluten-Free Flour Blend

http://howcanitbeglutenfree.com/inside-the-book/

See the list of the 180 recipes included in the book
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lifeline
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lifeline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got this cookbook for Christmas from our daughter, who swears by many recipes listed. We made the Pumpkin Bread with the flour blend, and it truly was the most delicious pumpkin bread I've ever eaten...moist, easy, and perfect.

I have earmarked several other recipes for future use.

Posts: 983 | From FL | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennyfromtheblock
Member # 43805

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jennyfromtheblock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love anything from the test kitchen!

--------------------
celiac dx 2012
pancreatic neuroendocrine tumor dx 2012
lyme dx 2/14
poss igm wb, neg igg wb - Igenex/CDC

Posts: 85 | From south shore | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the post, Keebler! I just ordered the book and can't wait.

I've been playing with gluten free baking recipes, and I'm looking forward to reading their tips.

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
My book just arrived yesterday. The BUCKWHEAT TABOULI is going to be first on my list! I had so many failures with my various attempts with other GF grains. Now I understand why, they explained exactly what happened.

Lots of nice hearty SALAD dishes in there, too

(for those dealing with candida who may have to be more careful with certain baked goods, even if GF. A side-note, though, Seagate Olive Leaf Extract - started before, during & after - totally prevented Candida for me the last time I took antibiotics.).

The English Muffins and Pumpkin Bread are calling to me as well. Still, moderation and balance with protein and veggies is really important. GF goods don't keep long so it's best to make in quantities for just a day or two. This also helps prevent over consumption.

lifeline: thanks for your "review" of the pumpkin bread. Glad to know it worked.
-

[ 01-13-2015, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
After spending some more time with this book, I can see that while some of the recipes (those with vegetables, etc.) are really solid, many just have far - far - too much sugar for my taste and for the best health habits. I had thought I could just eliminate sugar and add in a touch of stevia and a whisper of honey.

I've not had granulated sugar in my home in decades and I do not want to start now. By happenstance, last night looked back over my Adrenal book (Wilson) and the detail about how sugar can sink adrenal function really hit home.

They explain that it can be tricky, at best, and more often bakery failure to substitute or omit. There are chemical reasons for the sugar - so it's not just for a sweet taste. But I just can't "go" there with some of their recipes.

Still, they've done a very good job explain why certain oils just do not mix with some GF ingredients and why others do. And many recipes are just fine.

Once a better understanding of the chemistry of it all is in play, then I think one could move to create (occasional) treats that are better for glycemic & adrenal health (sugar affect adrenal function, too).

I still think this book is excellent in many ways, though and much can be learned about the properties & processes involved.

As they often note two popular flour blends and how to switch out, an important note for those of us here. Bob's Red Mill GF baking mixes often contain certain legume flours. Therefore, they may offer a better glycemic effect due to increased protein content.
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement