LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Who is gluten free?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who is gluten free?
Maia_Azure
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maia_Azure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was gluten free for about three months and fell off the wagon so to say. I have been trying to adhere to a paleo diet with lots of good oils and organic meats.

Some days it's really hard. Cutting out the sugar made me miserable ( I disn't eat a lot before mind you))

But life's pleasures are gone: that bowl of ice cream, my nut thin crackers, no rice, no quinoa. Everything's is a no.

Some days I'm so hungry I want to rage at my stupid doctor and her lousy diet ideas.

I've lost 10 pounds cause I hate the bland horrible food I eat. It's like the final indignity, I'm not interested in eating it and I forget meals.

I don't think I can get better without fixing my diet, but inlack the willpower and energy to commit. I'm not sure I believe non-celiac gluten sensitivity is real, thus why bother abstaining from gluten?

Anyone have any resources to get me out of my rut?

--------------------
Sick since 2000
Bulls eye 2005
Dx Babesia, Lyme 2014

Posts: 247 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MannaMe
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My hubby is gluten free, egg free and low sugar.

Why do you need to avoid the gluten free grains? Rice, quinoa, etc?

Can you add spices and / or herbs to perk up your foods?

Posts: 2247 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SacredHeart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacredHeart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand Maia. I have heard that lyme effects the reward center anyway for eating. I'm on a gluten free diet too, and I think it is possibly the cause of a great deal of my insanity.

I am skinny to begin with, and I have lost weight. I don't have a choice about the sugar because when I eat sugar my whole body hurts. I broke diet and had pie at Thanksgiving.

It put me in bed for three days. The diet is so expensive too, and we are already poor from treatment and the loss of my job.

I would suggest getting some good gluten free baking books that avoid sugar and use honey instead. I am going to try that out. I'm ready to tear someone's head off to get some carbs. I wouldn't recommend going totally paleo diet.

I think anything taken to extreme can be dicey. Anyway, if I find a good resource for baking breads, and cakes that avoid sugar and gluten I'll let you know.

--------------------
Lyme flare June, July, August of 2013. Diagnosed September 2014 Lyme, Bartonella, Mycoplasma, Mono

Posts: 595 | From Texas Crossroads | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am gluten, dairy and sugar free. When I fall off the wagon I pay.

Wheat is not what it used to be. It is full of poison thanks to Roundup and Monsanto. So it would be wise for everyone to avoid it.

It does not have to be expensive to eat gluten free. I do not buy GF breads or cookies, etc .. that is where people get into trouble.

Stay away from all grains as much as you can. Quinoa is fine.

Eat lots of vegetables and all the protein you want. To eat paleo IS EXPENSIVE because clean meats are expensive. I'm finding that I really need to do that, however!

One food that you can buy at Wal Mart (or other grocery stores) that I find very clean is Cornish game hens! They are not pumped full of chemicals and antibiotics because they are young pullets. (poor things)

They taste very good. I even make soups with them. Just throw the whole thing in the water and cook away!

I like the ones by Prospect Farms.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SacredHeart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacredHeart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info on the cornish hens. We were looking at buying meat in bulk for lunch meat. I just realized sugar is in everything, including my lunch meat.

I personally can't go totally paleo. I wish I could. I do have a paleo cook book though, and it has some great recipes in it. I could probably do paleo fifty percent of the time and get away with it. If anyone is doing one hundred percent on paleo that is awesome.

Lymetoo, I thought you were better? Didn't you do several years of antibiotics and get better?

--------------------
Lyme flare June, July, August of 2013. Diagnosed September 2014 Lyme, Bartonella, Mycoplasma, Mono

Posts: 595 | From Texas Crossroads | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made a paleo breakfast other day and we loved it.

Baked Eggs in Squash Rings (Paleo, Gluten-free)
http://www.acalculatedwhisk.com/2013/12/baked-eggs-in-squash-rings-paleo-gluten.html

this site had some nice recipes:
http://thepaleopartridge.com/?p=385

things look good here too....
http://paleogrubs.com/paleo-diet-recipes

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I am recovered from Lyme, but I have MANY dietary issues.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maia - I'm in the minority. I didn't follow a strict diet while in treatment and am in remission now.

I only minimized foods high in nickel because I have a nickel allergy.

I ate carbs with doxycycline because it was the only thing that kept the nausea at bay.

I think it really depends on your body and gut health. Some are just prone to more problems in that area.

Good luck! I worked with an ND who specialized in nutrition for years and the foods that caused me issues were totally different than the typical.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I will never do a paleo diet. Ever. While that definition can vary from person to person in how they adapt it, it seems you are going for no grains at all (?) and, IMO, that could be torpedoing you.

It may work for some but it may not for you. Sure did not for me. I suffered far too long trying to make that work.

I tried that no grain thing for a while, probably 20 years ago but it made me worse - and I just kept passing out. It took me forever to connect the dots. I think I got some very bad advice on that.

My body really needed grains. I'm not sure I'd survive without my Chinese Forbidden BLACK rice, or the red or wild rices, either. Still, veggies and good proteins are the majority of my diet

but grains fuel me in important ways, too. And help keep glycemic levels even so much longer than without them. Black rice is very glycemic friendly as part of healthy meal.

Yet, will be gluten free forever (with celiac, that's clear for me). But I never feel deprived. There are so many whole foods that I enjoy. Culinary herbs & spices really help - and lots of onions, garlic, mushrooms.

With those, a meal of protein, veggies, grains can be turned into any number of delicious delights. Drizzle of a good EVOO or a little ghee also helps.

Tinkyada Gluten Free Penne (pasta) was part of my fabulous dinner tonight. Carrots mixed in with the meat & mushrooms - and green beans on the side.

I do limit the GF Penne to just once or twice a month, though. Otherwise, any grain is whole - for better glycemic effect & endurance - and about 1/3 cup max. It's really plenty.

I do enjoy frozen dark berries - just let them heat up in a mug on warm in the oven. I also spent many years without any fruits and I think my body suffered for lack of their antioxidants - far richer supply in dark berries and they are low on the glycemic index.

Still, some with candida may not be able to "do" that - or limit to just a few right after a meal or get antioxidants in other foods.

OLE (Seagate olive leaf extract) was instrumental in my being able to enjoy fruit again, as the OLE really fixed the candida issue for me.

Favorite herbs: Rosemary; Thyme; Coridander; Cardamom; Nutmeg (goes with so many leafy greens) . . . and the list goes on. Last count, about 35 jars of spices and herbs in my seasoning drawer. Each night, something different.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
triathlongal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for triathlongal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't like to eat anything that has a list of ingredients.

I eat clean organically grown and fed. Gluten, dairy, corn, sugar and yeast free. Food in its natural form. I am thin as well but eat alot of healthy fats to help maintain weight.

Posts: 151 | From North East | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm gluten-free... Negative Celiac tests, but positive for one Celiac gene, and positive for stool antibodies to gliadin. Avoidance of gluten for 6 months, followed by a gluten challenge showed me I most definitely need to be gluten-free.

For more info on what gluten can do in the body (Celiac or not), see http://theglutenfile.com

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia_Azure
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maia_Azure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MannaMe:
My hubby is gluten free, egg free and low sugar.

Why do you need to avoid the gluten free grains? Rice, quinoa, etc?

Can you add spices and / or herbs to perk up your foods?

I was trying to follow the ketogenic diet, so no oat meal, rice or quinoa. Realized I didn't have the self restraint to be so restrictive.

--------------------
Sick since 2000
Bulls eye 2005
Dx Babesia, Lyme 2014

Posts: 247 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia_Azure
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44330

quote:
Originally posted by Keebler:
-
I will never do a paleo diet. Ever. While that definition can vary from person to person in how they adapt it, it seems you are going for no grains at all (?) and, IMO, that could be torpedoing you.
-

I think it was the ketogenic part that was derailing me.

I have since added back in Quinoa, though I try to restrict my rice consumption (no more than 1/4 cup if I must eat it). No oatmeal for now.

My problem on gluten free is I am not entirely convinced that non-celiac gluten sensitivity exists. I did the 3 month challenge and did not notice a difference when I added gluten back in.

If anyone had any resources on why we should avoid gluten I would be interested. I do understand the pesticide angle (learned they apply herbicides to promote wheat to go to seed)and that our wheat supply is contaminated.

Not sure about gluten itself, if it is the gluten, or the changes in gluten content over the years that bothers people.

I also noticed when going gluten free a lot of people just add in substitutes like rice flour which is still high in carbs.

I am trying to focus now on reducing sugar and eating alkalizing foods.

I still worry if I make a mistake and buy soup that accidentally used wheat as a thickener..am I hurting my recovery? I don't know!

--------------------
Sick since 2000
Bulls eye 2005
Dx Babesia, Lyme 2014

Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
ketogenic part - as someone with seizures, I've studied ketogenic diets over the years. I do not think they are healthful for more than a handful of people, mostly young and then only if that helps the seizures.

Technically, a ketogenic diet should only be done under very strict medical supervision.

You say that you "noticed when going gluten free a lot of people just add in substitutes like rice flour which is still high in carbs."

Well, what they do and what you are for very different reasons.

That is not recommended for good glucose management, other than for an occasional treat with more emphasis then on protein and veggies to round out that (occasional) treat of something like a little GF pasta.

Most canned soups have so very many reasons to avoid them but if you someone has a problem with gluten and it's in the soup, yes, it can set them back for months. For those with celiac, it can cause the brain trouble for up to six months from one mistake.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been gluten free as well as no starch, grains or dairy for over a year and it was a real game changer for me. My pain level decreased dramatically.

There is so much you can still eat and enjoy! I have an icecream maker and make homemade icecream several times a week. I recently bought a waffle maker and love homemade waffles.

I totally changed the way I eat and dont even miss my former foods as I have discovered so many wonderul new healthy ones.Here are a few
resources http://againstallgrain.com/blog/
http://pureandsimplerecipes.com/

Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Ellen,

So glad to hear this. What kind of ice cream maker do you have?

Is it fairly quiet? How long does it take? Do you have a link for the model?
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Here's something to consider:

Nearly all wheat is contaminated by Roundup. That is a huge danger for all of us.

I would say nearly ALL GRAINS are contaminated.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VTE]Originally posted by Keebler:
-
Ellen,

So glad to hear this. What kind of ice cream maker do you have?

Is it fairly quiet? How long does it take? Do you have a link for the model?
-
[/QUOTE]
It does not take long at all. Maybe 10-15 minutes or so. Not very loud.
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/2397255/?catalogId=21&sku=2397255&cm_ven=Google_PLA&cm_cat=Shopping&cm_pla=default&cm_ite=default&gclid=CLK6q6zDvMMCFRNp7AodsUcAkg&kwid=prod uctads-plaid^82946568103-sku^2397255-adType^PLA-device^t-adid^42817962943

Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennyfromtheblock
Member # 43805

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jennyfromtheblock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gluten free, celiacs. Struggle with the sugar thing. Try not to eat processed foods....but struggle with that from time to time.

--------------------
celiac dx 2012
pancreatic neuroendocrine tumor dx 2012
lyme dx 2/14
poss igm wb, neg igg wb - Igenex/CDC

Posts: 85 | From south shore | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not do well on a very low carb diet. I'm not sold on them at all.

I do eat gluten free and have for about a decade now. I tried adding gluten back in once I was well from Lyme, but I'm still intolerant. So are three of my daughters who have never had Lyme. We do not have celiac disease (don't even carry the celiac gene), but we all have symptoms when we eat gluten.

I am also rice intolerant.

I do not think carbs are bad, I've never bought into that. I eat quinoa, millet, flax, buckwheat, wild rice, fruits, vegetables, natural sugars (maple syrup, coconut nectar, honey) .... lots of carbs. I sometimes eat corn meal, but not more than a few times per month, if that.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there is something to this.

http://www.dadamo.com/program.htm

I am type O pos. and do much better when I follow these guidelines.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement