LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » "GF" Cheerios, Honey Nut Cheerios PETITION

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "GF" Cheerios, Honey Nut Cheerios PETITION
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
[PETITION IS A FEW POSTS DOWN]

RECALL:

As many of us have celiac &/or require a gluten-free diet (although the glycemic index of this product may not make it into our lives), just in case:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cheerios-honey-nut-cheerios-recall-due-to-allergy-risk/

"GF" Cheerios & Honey Nut Cheerios RECALL due to gluten

Recall boxes TYPE and Serial Number here, scroll down

and, just in case CBS might have messed up that list and left off some numbers, the company website likely has the recall numbers, too. Always good to consult two lists in such matters - for a double check - if one has the product and has celiac.

http://generalmills.com//en/News/NewsReleases/Library/2015/October/cheerios-10-5/645b5aaf-c2ec-4661-b968-391f41953bfc

General Mills News Release & List (for this matter)
-

[ 10-07-2015, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I will say that is the most sincere apology I've ever seen from a food company.

I never could wrap my head around just how it would be possible for a company that has such a vast array of gluten containing products to also make some that are certified GF. Cross contamination is so tricky.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are the chances? I got hungry for Cheerios (I never eat cereal of any kind.) .. and I bought a box of the GF about 3 wks ago.

This explains a few things. I no longer have the box.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNT
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 42349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keebler:
I never could wrap my head around just how it would be possible for a company that has such a vast array of gluten containing products to also make some that are certified GF. Cross contamination is so tricky.

I had the same thought recently when my wife pointed out to me that Cheerios are gluten-free, or, now come in a gluten-free version at least.

Then I read the back of the box.

"The Journey from Field to Bowl. Most of the farmers who grow oats for Cheerios also grow wheat and barley, which aren't gluten free. Sometimes, those grains get mixed together in the field or on the farm, so, to make Cheerios gluten free, we had to separate them. It took a lot of late nights and hard work, but we finally discovered a way to sort the other grains out of our oats." End of quote from the back of the gluten-free Cheerios box.

We both thought, "Really?" What about residue or dust. That would be greater than parts per million I would think.

Posts: 1308 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there will be more recalls. We bought both plain and Honey Nut when they came out as GF.

The numbers on my boxes are not part of the recall numbers. It took me almost 7 days to get over being sick after having Cheerios.

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
PETITION NOW AT CHANGE.ORG

Apparently, there are many who have noticed the problems even before this recall.

https://www.change.org/p/fda-change-testing-and-production-of-gluten-free-cheerios-to-be-safe-for-all?source_location=update_footer&algorithm=recommended_share&grid_position=14

Petition: Change testing and production of gluten-free Cheerios to be safe for all.

[Go to link to sign - but if you don't want to still, be sure to read this and know that Cheerios cannot be guaranteed safe for those with Celiac or gluten-related conditions.]

General Mills's gluten-free labeled Cheerios is making many in the gluten-free community sick due to the company's reliance on mechanically cleaning oats that have been in contact with wheat and barley, as well as using lot means to determine if a lot is above or below 20ppm.

The company is responding to sick people in the gluten-free community that their product is below 20ppm.

However, the large proportion of the community getting sick points to Cheerios being higher than 20ppm.

We cannot be assured that something is truly gluten-free when a company is using an average. It is reasonable to assume that a company would not run this type of testing when major allergens are involved.

Gluten may not be a life threatening allergy, but it still affects our quality of life when ingested and has the potential to put our health in an overall decline.

We would like to see General Mills source oats from farmers using purity protocols. We also want General Mills to change lot means testing to testing individual boxes.

These changes would keep more people in the gluten-free community safe from illness and ensure General Mills is truly meeting FDA regulations for gluten-free labeling.
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We just need to buy from safe sources. General Mills is not safe. Hasn't been for a long time.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I want ZERO parts per million (of gluten) in my food.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Also to consider: Vitamin E when sourced from wheat germ. That's a question and can vary from product to product, depending upon their source and how it's processed.

Also tricky in our personal care products. This one is very tricky. But, it's often from soy. Which can cause others some challenges, too.

http://www.glutenfreedietitian.com/vitamin-e-from-wheat-germ-oil/

Vitamin E from wheat germ oil

by: Gluten-Free Dietitian

Excerpt:

. . . Keep in mind that most vitamin E appears to be derived from soybean oil and most edible oil in the U.S. is highly refined.

Even if unrefined wheat germ oil is the source of vitamin E, the amount of protein in an ingredient that is extracted from oil is likely very low.

Furthermore, the amount of vitamin E added to a personal care product is likely low and the amount of a non-food item you are likely to ingest even lower. . . . (end excerpt)

Not sure about all that author says but a more thorough search can be done. It's a bit like nailing Jell-O to the wall. With celiac, most often, the level is not the issue as the outside world might want to think -- even a TRACE can set off dangerous chain reaction.

I still want zero, not "lower" levels. I want to know for sure it's zero gluten as the way these things are processed, the irregularities and ways measured are not all that reassuring.

[ 10-07-2015, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Well, don't buy any stock in General Mills then! [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

momintexas
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler, thanks for posting this information - good to know.
Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Green_Where_You_Water
Member # 46647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Green_Where_You_Water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is good info to know. I honestly didn't even know that GM made GF products.

I really try to not buy anything packaged because honestly I don't trust any of it, whether it says Gluten Free or not.

If I had come across the GF GM cheerios I am sure I would have wondered how it was possible also.

The best way to be safe is to avoid packaged goods as much as possible and make your own.

It is more time consuming but worth it when your health and well being are at stake.

Posts: 66 | From New York | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement