LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » How to get an Igenex test without seeing a doctor.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to get an Igenex test without seeing a doctor.
Jordana
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 45305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jordana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just figured this out and don't see it posted anywhere.

You can go to Truehealthlabs.com and order a lyme panel through their site. They will send you a test kit. You can take it to any lab and have your blood drawn and send it back to them.

They will forward your blood to IGENEX, not Labcorp or Quest.

I verified this by email with the lab.

Posts: 2057 | From Florida | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TxCoord
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TxCoord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you pay the lab for the draw? I know that IGENEX charges to process the sample, but don't know if the lab doing the draw charges also.

--------------------
I have a good time wherever I go!

Posts: 665 | From Lost Wages, NV | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Member # 45305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jordana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but depending on where you go the draw fee might shoot straight to insurance.
Posts: 2057 | From Florida | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TxCoord
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TxCoord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With Silver having Medicaid (through Amerigroup - see her post on them) I don't know if they would pay and it might lead to her losing benefits (yes they can).

With me having the VA, I definitely don't believe they will pay for it and might actually block me from getting it (yes they can refuse me service).

--------------------
I have a good time wherever I go!

Posts: 665 | From Lost Wages, NV | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Member # 45305

I don't think draw fees are very much. I think on my bills it's somewhere around 70 bucks. If you don't want it filed no one has to know.
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a blood draw in a lab about 5 years ago. This was the lab's business, they just took the blood draws and then sent it to Quest, LabCorp, or any other lab you wanted.

I believe they charged $15. I know it was a few years ago, but not that much for anyone desperately wanting IGeneX and with no other way to get it.

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Member # 45305

Mine was at my hospital and billed by the system through insurance so that's why it was probably more.
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, hospitals would be pretty high. Many labs charge nominal fees.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds good, but too easy (especially compared to the "old days" when getting a test was a nightmare or impossible).

This is making me wonder.

I think you'd need to check first to see if IGeneX will run the tests (once they get the samples) without a doctors signature or RX.

And my guess is you'd need to fill out IGeneX forms to ship with the samples IF they will run the tests without a doctor's signature or RX.

The IGeneX test form states (and says it is "required information")...

Physician’s Signature:________________________________________

If signature is not available, please attach Physician’s Prescription

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW- Just saw this too on IGeneX site.

"Only your physician is able to request, change, or cancel tests."

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Brain is starting to wake up- oh no!

You'd need to be sure the sample kit from True Health has the ability/tubes/instructions, etc. to draw what IGeneX requires.

Labcorp for example may simply need one or two tubes of blood or serum, which True Health kits may provide for.

IGeneX requires some samples to be frozen, some shipped with dry ice, some stored at room temperature, some stored in fridge for X days before shipping, some arriving by X number of days, etc.

And the reason I question is because getting an IGeneX test years ago was purposely made nearly impossible. Many never were able to get them, me included sometimes, and I never got one without dreadful fighting the entire time.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Jordana
Member # 45305

It's not that they're being run without a doctor's signature.

The doctor's signature is from True Health Labs.

YOU don't need to see a doctor to get the test, but it will have a signature.

ETA: Most online test services work this way, but big corporate labs are cheaper. I think the signature is required because of something having to do with the CLIA rating.

bluelyme
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mum had her doc send kit ,had labcorps draw and medicaid paid...there is a section in igenix for to bill to them...? The doc called and said i dont think you have it. She then called igenix and requested a copy ...bypass ducks read bands etc etc

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1539 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Confused. Has anyone actually gotten an IGenex test using this True Health Lab?

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Jordana
Member # 45305

Yes, Tincup.

Waiting for my results. I had them run the full panel which includes EIA, WB, and PCR; Bartonella and Babesia FISH.

I'll get it all back in six days. [Smile]

Tincup
Member # 5829

Great! Now, to be sure, you didn't need a doctor to sign any forms to get past the rule IGeneX has, right?

And, did you, if I may ask, have to pay a lot more than going thru IGeneX directly? I mostly get those people who are on a really tight budget or no budget at all many times, so that info will help me help them too, if you know.

I want to suggest this method, just don't want to have patients have problems once I do (or chew me out if they do). If you had to deal with getting tests like was the "norm" for too many years, you'd cry for joy to not have to go thru that mess ever again.

Thanks for any info you can provide... and for sure share your results!! I can't wait! I hope you are positive!!!

Normally I wouldn't wish that on someone, but I know how hard you've tried to get answers, so don't take that wrong. OK?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Jordana
Member # 45305

So - the doctor at True Health Labs signs the form. So technically I *did* need a doctor, but he works at True Health labs. To make this even more legal, the doctors there offer a consultation/interp of your results for a fee. In other words, they're not "just signing off" on a bunch of forms, they are offering medical consultation. But if you don't want it, well...

I did all the ordering online and took the test kit to the local hospital; they did the blood draw and actually fedexed it for me. Results come by email and the turnaround will be around a month; I think because I asked for PCR.

I think it is a little more expensive this way but I'm not sure. The Western Blot IGG/IGM was about 360 dollars not including the blood draw. The full panel with PCR was 630 dollars.

I think if you go see a regular doctor it's cheaper but I really don't know what Igenex charges.

Tincup
Member # 5829

Hey, appreciate the response. Thanks!

You said.. "But if you don't want it, well..."

So sorry! Not trying to bug you, just want to get it right. Does this mean if you don't pay for the consult they won't sign off? I'm confused. (I know, hard to believe a Lyme patient can be confused so easily. HA!)

Thanks for sharing the costs so we will know. I can check IGeneX price on their site to make comparisons, if it is still listed there.

And thanks again for the info J. Great to know it to be able to help folks!

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Jordana
Member # 45305

No what I meant was that if you don't want it, you can not select that option, and not pay for it.

The only reason I brought it up is that I don't want to get True Health Labs in trouble. What they're doing is completely legal so I want to make it very clear that there is nothing underhanded about this at all.

However I'm pretty sure there's a reason they're not blasting Igenex as a selling point on their website. No point borrowing trouble I imagine.

Jordana
Member # 45305

BTW this was really a lifesaver for me. I was so confused, so tired, and so puzzled about why I could not just have this test. I tried a naturopath; they didn't have the correct credentials to sign off. I tried my neuro - nope, she said it wasn't "FDA approved." I asked the LLMD, he ignored this and gave me another WB through Quest.

By the time I was done with this I was ready to give up. When you're sick it's beyond impossible to figure this kind of thing out anyway, and getting to even one doctor's appointment requires energy I barely have.

So this is awesome. I ordered this test from my laptop in bed; got the test kit in the mail and had a relative print off the order form. I went one mile to the hospital lab and had my blood drawn. Done.

Then I went back to bed. [Smile]

Green_Where_You_Water
Member # 46647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Green_Where_You_Water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is good news to know! I actually got lucky and had a fully positive Western Blot through LabCorp from my regular GCP.

I don't understand why doctors won't help you get a test that you want, especially your LLMD!? You pay them good money out of pocket, they should order it for you if thats what you want!

But anyway, this is good info to pass along to others who want to be tested!

And yes I know what you mean by it being impossible to figure all of this out! Right now I am trying to get approved for disability because I am totally unable to work, trying to coordinate starting IV treatments for the first time next week, and getting ready to move to a different house. For a normal person that would be daily life but to a Lymie...well you know.

Hope your test results are what you want them to be! [Smile]

Posts: 66 | From New York | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Thanks J! And appreciate the input Green!

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

AngieGigi
Member # 47429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AngieGigi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If someone wants to take the first step to find out if they have Lyme, after years of being sick with no explanation, which would be the first test. This question is for my nephew. His funds are limited. I see on the True health web site several test for Lyme. Where should he start?
Posts: 50 | From KY | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement