LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Should I stay or should I go?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Should I stay or should I go?
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently lost a family member (we were not close), and would love to go to the service to pay my respects but am concerned about crashing with fatigue (stress/sadness and lyme and company). Then there's restrictive diet and EMFs (sigh). I went to one a few years back (pre lyme treatment) and it took so much out of me. Has anyone else done this, any recommendations?

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Only you can determine this for yourself. It may take some quiet time to really check in with yourself and then sleep on the matter.

Unless there are others who will be at the service and whom you could also have time to have some quality time with, you may do well to pay your respects in other ways - or arrange to meet up with other loved ones after a little time has passed so that the dear lost one can be reflected upon in a more balanced memory event.

Sounds like your body has already registered with you to be asking yourself about the considerations.

If you stay home, you might ask if a short phone conversation with key family / friends might be arranged right after the service.

I was unable to attend my father's funeral and that helped me, talking with each person afterward by phone.

Unless your going would greatly enhance your relationships with other family / friends there, it just seems that your heart would be better served to create your own way to honor their memory in a ways that also honors not just your physical comfort but also the safety of your future health / healing.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Keebler.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Main thing to keep in mind is not whether you want to go or not for that's already been answered. You do.

This is about whether your body's cells, organs and systems have the oomph to take you there, hold you up in all ways and return rejuvenated (or soothed) in spirit, in some degree.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My condolences on your loss.

Key for me would be "how far away is it?" Is it local?

If local, I would be able to do it.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted awhile ago i would not be able to

The last one i went to was the mother of my daughters best friend who died a few yrs begire her mom

I felt strongly i needed to go for my daughter. But even tho i had help i was a distraction. The wc a problem. Its just something i cant do

I can arrange to send foo0pd or flowers or card and talk to loved ones later. But i cant go anymore

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Thank you Keebler, Lymetoo and lpkayak.

It is a very long plane trip away. The EMFS alone are quite hard for me. Huge actually. My head hurts so bad when I travel.

The stress of making my on food for travel and once I arrive is a lot of work. Then I will have to make it at someone's house and carry it with me to a hotel. So much work. yuck.

My biggest concern though is the sorrow and stress at the service (adrenals), but all the above are huge for me. Just the thought of it stresses me out.

That said, it would be awesome to see my family. The physical and emotional cost seems huge though not to mention the plane, car, hotel. It is so hard for me to make a decision.

If I could eat even remotely normal food that would be one less huge stressor. If EMFS weren't such a HUGE problem for me that would be easier too.

I know you all understand because you've been there and done that with lyme. My family has not. So there is that too. I guess I just need to take care of me. Leaning that way.

--------------------

me
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trust your gut. I know how hard it is to make decisions like this. It sounds like you know what is best for your health, but are naturally having a hard time making the final call.

I'm sorry you are in this situation. Hugs.

--------------------
Just sharing my experiences, opinions, and what I've read and learned. Not medical advice.

Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I probably would not be able to do that. I wanted to travel for a close friend's funeral, but knew that with food issues (HUGE) and the stress, that I would probably be sick by the time I got there.

You know the family will understand.

[group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Catgirl, IMHO given all the info you posted (Not Close...plane ride away etc and the chance you will have a relapse...STAY HOME!!!! Send flowers and a lovely note. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Take care of yourself first!!.. Hope you are doing well.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MannaMe
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd recommend staying home - the stress of the whole thing just isn't worth it.

How long will it take to recuperate afterwards? a day, a week, 2 weeks or more???

It IS hard to give up and admit we just can't do everything we really want to. This is life in the Lyme light.

(Think I should write a book with that title: Life in the Lyme Light)

Posts: 2248 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All my old friends here ((hugs))

I don't like to travel. Insert all reasons mentioned in previous posts, but multiply by 10 if I'm expected to take my children.

I don't think anyone but us 'spoon people' really understand tho.

Stay true to yourself--- it's okay to say no and send your love over the cosmos instead.
xxoo

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
stay home. I've gone on several trips and paid dearly for it.

also strange er rooms are scary which increases symptoms

it's jus not worth it.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Thank you Gael, me, MannaMe, surprise, Lymetoo and randibear. I truly appreciate all of your advice. [Smile]

I can easily see things in other people but when it comes to me, I just can't see it. Everyday I wake up and wonder if I should go. It seems so obvious when I read what I typed, but I haven't seen any of these people in years.

I know people come out of the woodwork at these services too. It would be so nice to see all of them again, and I think that is what makes me want to go the most. But then I remember how heart breaking these things are as well. My head says stay but my heart says go.

If this were a family reunion, I'd go in a heartbeat. It would be happy and positive. But I have to remember this will be raw and sad. The sadness and grief, I can see and feel it now. [Frown]

I just checked, it's about 8 to 9 hours of airport/plane time there with the stopping. I don't think I can do that and endure everything else. Each day I feel the pull to go though. I hate it. It takes me so long to make a decision! My husband used to hate it when we went to restaurants and I couldn't decide what to eat.

I'm reading all of your advice again. It makes sense. Thank you all very much.

--------------------

me
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What would you say to me or anyone else if they put up this post? I have a feeling you would be much more understanding with someone else than with yourself. Maybe not, but that's how I am.

But turn the situation around. What advice would you give someone?

--------------------
Just sharing my experiences, opinions, and what I've read and learned. Not medical advice.

Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have just went to the grave side service before.

That way i was outdoors and not in the church were I could get a cold or flu from someone.
MADDOG

Posts: 3996 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Very often what seems like indecision is that we just don't want to accept the apparent answer and we are bargaining with body to coax it into agreeing with us whole-heartedly, enthusiastically, exceptionally clearly

and have body promise us that it will take us where we want to go in the shape we want and return us safely - not so much in tip top form - but at least not having gotten clobbered.

Body: at least promise me that I'll manage to get through in some degree of reasonable fashion. Eh?

My body, to date, has never made such a promise.

That's were my problem comes in with indecision regarding outings. My definition of the terms of my operating systems.
-

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any possibility of including you in the event in some way - like camera phone, Skyping?
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would you have support when you get there? Family to help you with grocery shopping, meal prep, and who are sensitive to your needs to rest, etc?

I think this would be important to my decision.

I really hear you on the food. I so, so miss when I could eat normally. It's a huge social barrier.

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter is super healthy and on a recent trip the plane was grounded fir a long time...sge was going ti an interview...she never made it to motel room...went straight to interview...could barely talk or think as fter plane issues (didn't get job) AND SHES REALLY HEALTHY! Seems like its too much. Too long. Too many things out of your control

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Wow, those are all great responses! You're right Keebler, I am trying to convince my body I can do it. Also I told myself that I won't let lyme control me anymore. So not going sort of means it's controlling me.

There is also not enough help at the other end. My family has no clue that I eat to live and how much work it is (even though I've told them many times). They just look at me like I'm nuts. I can deal with that, it's all the other stuff.

I think staying in this sadness is just not worth it. I need to make a decision. I just did a pro/con list. 4 pros and 17 cons. There it is glaring me in the face. It's screaming, DUH, stay home! It just needs to sink in. Thank you all so much! You're all awesome. :)

--------------------

Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a difficult decision.

Is there someone other than family that can be of support there?

Maybe connect on a facebook group for EIs or people with food allergies in the area. Just trying to think of ways that will make it possible. If you have even one supportive person close by, that will be a huge help.

I see how much the decision is difficult for you. Emotionally, it seems VERY important that you go, but you need more physical support to make it possible.

Will you regret NOT going? Emotional health is also important too.

Trust your gut (in every way).

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Thanks Judie. Sorry, I forgot to check this thread. I didn't go. As much as I tried to tell my body I could do it, I eventually realized I just couldn't handle it. Everyone's advice here really helped me. Thanks again!

--------------------

randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you made the right decision.

I missed my grandson's funeral.

sometimes we have to accept the limitations.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Thanks Randi. Grandson, I'm so sorry. I'm glad I listened to you and everyone here. You're so right (accept the limitations).

--------------------

Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, sometimes we have to love ourselves and meet ourselves where we're at. Glad you made the right decision for yourself!
Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement