LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Atlantic article: dozens of tx for alcohol dependency

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Atlantic article: dozens of tx for alcohol dependency
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
One size does not fit all. And some of the suggestions here may relate to various substance dependency issues.

An excellent article with much thought, time and research given to it. A new book also detailed that goes deeper. This can take a long time to read yet is so very worth it, even if just to gain a wider scope. And this could very well save someone's life to know that one size does not fit all.

Certainly an issue that touches all families in one way or another. How this writer expresses various others' experiences could turn on some lights for many who require a different method from the norm.

Even if we think this may not relate there is so much in this article that is important to every human being to consider even just in learning more about humanity.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/04/the-irrationality-of-alcoholics-anonymous/386255/

The Irrationality of Alcoholics Anonymous

Its faith-based 12-step program dominates treatment in the United States.

But researchers have debunked central tenets of AA doctrine and found dozens of other treatments more effective.

By Gabrielle Glaser - The Atlantic - April 2015 Issue
-

[ 07-11-2017, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
This article is being shared just in general from one human to others who care about others on the planet. In the spirit of understanding.

Yet, while the article mentions some approaches that include low consumption

- that would be different for those with lyme, it can be very tricky due to liver issues and other medical matters. Generally, those with lyme are directed to avoid alcohol for good reason explained in other threads on the topic.

Yet, if anyone has difficulty, the article above may be of help. And, also being very mindful about liver and GI lining health and what supports may be of service in the quest for health.

Naturopathic doctors also have some very good options for how to achieve calming or more alert states.

The article is not intended to open a debate but to show the range of experiences that many out there are navigating and what they have found to work for them. And how that might translate to other areas of life as well.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the link, Keebler. I found this very interesting. I have 2 sisters who have struggled with giving up smoking and I wonder if naltrexone would help with those cravings the way it does with alcohol cravings...
Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
There is a particular herb that can really help to reduce the grip of tobacco, lobelia, if I recall correctly.

If they live where there are any ND or acupuncturists, they would know and also other ways. Acupuncture, a series of several treatments has been quite good for many.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=121119;p=0

Breathing Fresh Air (or support to Stop smoking)

LINKS to help
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
dbpei,

if your sisters have lyme or other chronic stealth infections, low dose naltrexone has been helpful for some -- but not good for others (seems maybe those with still a more active infection load, some posters have pondered in the discussion threads).

"Low Dose Naltrexone" or LDN has been one approach to help with immune function - it's VERY, very low dose, though, compared to its use for other purposes.

As with anything, how an individual responds can vary. There are some threads here on LDN, or maybe just "naltrexone" if you want to search the archives.
-

dbpei
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, thank you for all of this good info. I have book marked and will share with my sisters. As far as I know, neither one has Lyme. But you never know when symptoms might start or flare following a stressful period. Hoping some of this will be new info for them and could help.
Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I'm glad you found the article / thread to be helpful & that you could look beyond for adaptation to other situations. Hope it helps your sisters, too. Here's to everyone feeling better, eh - and better understanding of physiology & human needs along the way.

There is a book in the Fresh Air thread that many say has helped them, by the way. I call it the "Fresh Air" thread as, from my training in hypnosis, I learned never to use words / images that bring to mind either unpleasant things or the things we want to eliminate. Rather, say / picture what we want: Fresh Air.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Along the line of adaptation to various needs, I wonder if

GYMNEMA SYLVESTRE, an herb, might also be of help with cravings of things other than with sugar. Just a thought. I don't have time - nor the capacity to figure that out for myself (a ND would be best) yet here's a start if one wants to learn the basics.

This is VERY helpful to stop cravings for sweets. I know this for myself. It's amazingly helpful.

http://restorativemedicine.org/books/healing-diabetes-complementary-naturopathic-and-drug-treatments/botanical-medicine-therapy/gymnema-gymnema-sylvestre/

Gymnema (Gymnema sylvestre)

http://www.itmonline.org/

ITM - Search by herb name and also for: Diabetes - many articles about Chinese medicine's approach

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/important-herbs/gymnema-gymnema-sylvestre-.html

GYMNEMA (Gymnema sylvestre) Herbal Profile

Also search this book site for "smoking" or "tobacco" I know I've seen some references to what can help.

And I think LOBELIA might be in this book.

& Herb Pharm SKULLCAP non-alcohol glycerine TINCTURE can be so very helpful to CALM. It helps me prevent seizures. See page in book above for that, too. I would imagine that Skullcap / Scullcap could be very helpful for many issues to help take the edge off.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Gymnema+%2C+Townsend%2BLetter&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Some very good articles from a Google search of:

Gymnema, Townsend+Letter

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Gymnema%20sylvestre

PubMed Search of medical abstracts:

Gymnema sylvestre - 250 abstracts

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=antidiabetic%2Bmedicinal%2Bplants&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart

Google Scholar Search:

search by herb names, both common name and scientific names
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
For those who may want to shield their lungs from smoke, now there are many more options that do not involve smoke.

We are learning more about specific strains of cannabis that can be "tuned" to an individual's need, too, regarding the affective elements and proper dosing.

There are more tools to identify & certify organically grown product, too, because that really matters.

Note & be very aware, of course: local, state and federal laws, and matters regarding using the US Postal Service or other shipping methods if they apply.

Federal law does see even medical use CBD oil as equal with THC products under their law.

www.salon.com/2017/07/09/the-key-to-treating-alcoholism-with-medical-marijuana-the-key-to-treating-alcoholism-with-medical-marijuana_partner/

The key to treating alcoholism with medical marijuana

Alcoholism is a pervasive chemical affliction. Marijuana, which is far more benign, could be used in treatment

By Kent Gruetzmacher - Salon.com - July 9, 2017

. . . For those heavily afflicted alcoholics, medical cannabis can be beneficial as both an alcohol substitute and sedative. . . .
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Of course, a good naturopathic physician or someone with equal education and experience in the world of plant medicine will know of all kinds of options from the plant world to help with various symptoms / issues for an individual -

- including help addressing some foundational care for body & mind that may have been a trigger for why a person reaches for help in the first place. Bringing back balance.

Massage, too, can be very helpful as a physical therapy that can affect the brain for the better.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-07-09/marijuana-secret-weapon-against-opioid-epidemic

Is marijuana a secret weapon against the opioid epidemic?

Public Radio International - Science Friday - July 09,2017

Audio interview: 12:12

& an article based on the audio interview with Ira Flatow.
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement