LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » A shout-out to all women who struggle with Lyme disease

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A shout-out to all women who struggle with Lyme disease
Ann-Ohio
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 44364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-Ohio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mean all women who either have Lyme disease, or care for people with Lyme disease - today is International Women's Day.

To all of them and all of you - Brava!
Here is how one woman shows another way women struggle against
being demeaned:

http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2017/03/03/loganberry-books-shelves-mens-books-backwards-as-a-metaphor-of-silencing-the-male-voice

--------------------
Ann-OH

Posts: 1590 | From Ohio | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
And to all the men who are caring and enlightened.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Ann,

very poignant photo from that bookstore. Thanks for that article.

Also to recognize, our mothers, our grandmothers. As I get older and have more experience with my body not being well . . . looking back over what my mother went through (and maybe hers before her) with terrible health issues that were just not even addressed.

She died young (56) from an infection they failed to identify and through terrible medical abuse and mismanagement even at the hospital at the end.

When I think of what so many others went through for decades and centuries and then think of how far we still have to go to get to a place of real humanity and common sense in the world it makes me sad and disheartened that, in so many ways, we've gone backwards.

Yet, there are many who do have "enlightened" educated, insightful and compassionate purpose.

For all those, regardless of gender, regardless of all things that some might use to divide and put down, may they stay strong to continue to bring in the light and fresh air.

And I'd vote for weekly massage for all living beings. I think that would help so much, in so many ways.

Nurture & Nourish. When those are not at the foundation, IMO, nothing can work and we all suffer, if not immediately, down the line.

And be sure to tell / show others how much they mean to us. My mother kept so much pain and hardship to herself that I never had the chance to really recognize until it all hit me long afterward.

So my hope is in sharing ourselves, engaging with others on deep and meaningful levels and always - always - keep in mind the need to

Nurture & Nourish ourselves and all those around us, all those together with us in this wide world.
-

[ 03-08-2017, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Brings to mind aspects that matter most - respect & appreciation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FOUqQt3Kg0

RESPECT - Aretha Franklin [1967] (Original Version)

2:29 Video - YouTube
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
The opening of this article might trip up some (depending upon one's politic view) but be sure to get past the first paragraph for this is truly enlightening and important in scope of history, truth & fairness.

. . . in honor of Women's History Month:

http://www.motherjones.com/media/2017/03/men-taking-credit-women-history

"I Made That B---h Famous"

A brief history of men getting credit for women's accomplishments.

By Madison Pauly - Mother Jones - Mar/April 2017 Issue

. . . Paleolithic era

Pre-European cave paintings are attributed to male hunters up until 2013, when an anthropologist shows that hand tracings found alongside the art at 10 famous sites were likely done by women. . . .

. . . . [with examples in the more recent centuries, too]
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
And to encourage the young ones & set some sights for their future:

http://stemtosteam.org/

STEM to STEAM

Science . . . Technology . . . Engineering . . . Math

+ Art / Design
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/08/opinion/little-girl-statue-wall-street-bull.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=opinion-c-col-left-region®ion=o pinion-c-col-left-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-left-region&_r=0

A Girl Stands Firm on Wall Street

By Gail Collins - The New York Times - March 8, 2017

[WONDERFUL PHOTO AT LINK]

There’s currently a bronze statue of a little girl standing in front of the charging bull on Wall Street.

It really does have a great look — all the laws of mass and motion aside, you feel pretty confident the bull is going to wind up backing down.

And it reminds you that while marching is important, sometimes you can make a difference by standing still.

The Wall Street girl celebrates all the people who resisted by staying in place. . . .

[Article contines with nice historical references and analogies for us all, especially when we just have to stay still for whatever reasons, we can take on various stances, postures, outlooks. Those with lyme / TBD / chronic health issues might take heart in this. Sometimes, just to hold our own, day in and day out, well, that's still important.]
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/bronze-girl-statue-faces-off-wall-street-bull-international-womens-day/

Bronze girl statue faces off with Wall Street Bull on International Women’s Day

By Alison Thoet - PBS NewsHour - March 8, 2017

Article and FOUR EXCELLENT PHOTOS of the bronze girl.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
https://www.google.com

GOOGLE's face page TODAY has this link to a Baker's Dozen Photos of exceptional women with links to learn more about each, just click onto their art work to see photos, and then click some more.

And scroll down for various articles from all over the world today.
-

Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then there is the silent majority and their viewpoint. Interesting...

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/03/08/day-without-women-who-are-women-who-wont-be-marching.html

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And all men should sit in the back of the bus!!

And use special back entrances into places.

MADDOG

Posts: 3996 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is not to demean men and boys, Maddog! We love our boys and men! It's just a big shout-out for women and all that they do and also fight for in their lives -
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
So true. To acknowledge one person, or many - whether from a century ago or today - for their qualities or hard work is never intended to diminish another.
-

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WakeUp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ann-Ohio:
I mean all women who either have Lyme disease, or care for people with Lyme disease - today is International Women's Day.

To all of them and all of you - Brava!
Here is how one woman shows another way women struggle against
being demeaned:

http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2017/03/03/loganberry-books-shelves-mens-books-backwards-as-a-metaphor-of-silencing-the-male-voice

I understand your point-- I have had a lot of people (mostly "women of health") judge or demean me because I am sick-- but I don't look sick. I had one "friend" criticize me harshly because I wash my dinner dishes the following morning due to Lyme fatigue.

Rather than get angry, I just tell God--"they know not what they do." The "criticizers" have not walked in my shoes-- they are "women of health," and I am a woman with an incurable illness.

That said, I want to say that I think that stirring up "identity politics" (man versus woman, black versus white, gay versus straight) through provocation is a dangerous and weaponized distraction for our country ---which will ultimately lead us all to destruction.

I think that the elites are currently weaponizing society through the media which they own. (They have already weaponized Lyme disease as many of us know---LOL)

In TV commercials, men are usually depicted as idiots, while women are told they are "much smarter." Dads are depicted as idiots by kids. Parents are trashed.

This is how "divide and conquer" works-- the elite use the media to pit the minority against the majority or those with less power against those with more ---by giving the hyped "victims" special status in the media or in politics.

Everyone wants to be special-- so this strategy works like a charm to tear apart the current order.

What they want is their order out of our chaos-- and its working like a charm. Most people do not see the mess we are all swimming in.

In this way, we are all weakened and divided. Our families are destroyed, our men-- who should be loving protectors and providers--- are demoralized and self-hating, etc.

Personally I think we need to get back to the ten commandments-- where we as a society honor a person not by their racial or sexual identity but by their morals: -- ]

do not steal, do not lie, do not cheat on your spouse, don't murder, honor your parents, and basically treat a person the way you want to be treated..

Its not too hard, but everyone nowadays practices the "Jerry Springer religion"-- divide and conquer identity politics.

I love the kind and good men in my life--- and no psychopathic elite owners of the mainstream media are going to convince me to demean good men, or do stunts against all men--- like turning good male authors backwards in a library.

I understand some anger you may feel against "men" as a class --- but identity politics is dangerous, and those of us who fall for it are being manipulated---- to our own harm.

(breaking up the post for easier reading for many here)

[ 03-12-2017, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

Posts: 696 | From New York | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
WakeUp,

Ann-Ohio started this thread on International Women's Day, during Women's History Month, with a nice intention of a "hug" or shout out for women dealing with the hardships of lyme.

I'm not sure how it became interpreted as "anger against 'men' as a class"

There is no post that does that. Not one. [though there is just one as light hearted aside, perhaps.]

This is not about identity politics but like - on Mother's Day, a special shout out - on International Women's Day.

We can still offer special "hugs" of sorts to certain groups without it being taken as an insult to other groups.

There are also several posts in this thread for men, too.

To acknowledge one person, or many - whether from a century ago or today - for their qualities or hard work is never intended to diminish another.

As there have been many women in years past and current who are not given the credit they deserve, offering such credit and thanks is just that. Saying "thank you for their contribution" - offering appreciation.

It's also no secret that women with lyme who have tried to access medical care for a long time have been demeaned what seems extra hard for being sick. The men who I've talked to who have lyme report much more respect from some of the doctors they've seen than I know I have.

there are times when women have not been treated fairly. This is just about waking up and hoping that we can all be treated fairly, for all the right reasons.

The world is better when we can all be allowed to shine bright in our own way - and when, whatever our task - it will be appreciated by others.
-

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally think everyone gets mistreated, whether male or female, that we all need to stand up for who we are and don't let others make generalizations about us.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
For perspective: Jerry Springer was not even around in 1909 when International Women's Day started.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Women%27s_Day

International Women's Day

(IWD) is celebrated on March 8 every year. It commemorates the movement for women's rights. The earliest Women's Day observance was held on February 28, 1909 in New York . . . .

International Men's Day will be Nov. 19 this year

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Men%27s_Day

International Men's Day (IMD) is an annual international event celebrated on 19 November. Inaugurated in 1992 on 7 February by Thomas Oaster,[1] the project was re-initialised in 1999 in Trinidad and Tobago.[2]

The longest running celebration of International Men's Day is Malta, where events have occurred since 7 February 1994.[3]

International Men's Day finds support from a variety of individuals and groups in Oceania, the Caribbean, North America, Asia, Europe and Africa.[2][4]

Speaking on behalf of UNESCO, Director of Women and Culture of Peace Ingeborg Breines said of IMD, "This is an excellent idea and would give some gender balance." She added that UNESCO was looking forward to cooperating with the organizers.[2]

The objectives of celebrating an International Men's Day include focusing on men's and boys' health, improving gender relations, promoting gender equality, and highlighting male role models.[5][6]

. . . to celebrate their achievements and contributions, in particular for their contributions to community, family, marriage, and child care.[7]

[8] The broader and ultimate aim of the event is to promote basic humanitarian values.[9][10]
International Men's Day is celebrated in over 70 countries . . . .

[Scroll down to see the various education focus of each year's activities]

and to round that out a bit and include youth:

The STEM / STEAM links above were intended for youth as is the group:

https://www.hands-across-the-world.org

Hands Across the World

Quality education is the key to providing opportunities and empower the people in creating a brighter future especially for children.
-

Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good women, bad women. Good guys, bad guys. Good whites, bad whites. Good blacks, bad blacks. Good kids, bad kids.

If I remember right, God loves them all and they are all special to him, without being sorted out into groups.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
But no one ever even said anyone was "good" or "bad" - or color. No one labeled anyone. Seems a lot of other stuff is being tossed in where it did not start out that way at all.

Seeing who is there, acknowledging them & their efforts with support & encouragement - that seems the simple message, I thought.
-

Tincup
Member # 5829

It's ok.

It's just another way to look at it. Just not your way.

A different idea and opinion. That's how we learn.

EDIT- And actually it is sorting out a specific group- women.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement