LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Denied SS disability today and am sOOO down

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Denied SS disability today and am sOOO down
etb6855
Member # 48383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for etb6855     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After filing for SS disability October 2016 I finally received a denial letter today.

I have had NO income since my short term disability ran out 8/11/16. And you all know the exuberant costs of Lyme treatment so needless to say I am in great debt, had to give up my home etc.

They said "we reviewed your medical evidence and though you are treated for chronic peripheral neuropathy it had not seriously affected your ability to work. You have tremors and problems with the use of your hands and difficult walking but you can walk well enough to do some type of work. Although you have visual difficulty you can do some type of work if accommodations are made. You have some trouble learning but can do some simple type of work. You have trouble speaking but in general can be understood".

WHAT THE HECK! I am in bed or on the sofa most days. Which is documented but they don't mention that.

They said "based on the work you preformed as coordinator of behavioral health services evidence indicates you are capable of doing this type of work".

REALLY, my own State Board of Nursing will NOT let me work.
How can the federal government say I can??

As if we don't have enough struggle just trying to survive day by day, find any kind of treatment that may work NO one helps.

I am 57 years old and have worked since I was 15. How do we continue to get treated like this...I am so overwhelmed.

Posts: 86 | From LA | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Denial comes almost always with first attempt. Search in your city for lawyers that help with disability cases.

Ask friends, family if they can recommend someone. Look for disability lawyers that don't get paid until you get a lump sum payment.

I'm sorry that you have been hit with this stressor. It can really cause many set backs financially, emotionally, and mentally.

Please do a search on this site using the search button and you will be able to pull up many threads under denied SS disability. Look under medical and general threads.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good advice. Don't be discouraged. Many decisions are overturned if you just file an appeal. It may be 1/3 or greater that are overturned on appeal.

You need to appeal the decision so that your case remains open and goes to another level of review.

Carefully read how to appeal and be sure you do it within the time limit!! Don't miss the date.

The first appeal is called Request for Reconsideration. If you want to delay getting an attorney until after your reconsideration request is decided, you can do that. This way, if you are approved on reconsideration, you didn't give any of your money away to an attorney.

(These attorneys take a good chunk of your benefits that are past due.)

The next level of appeal is a hearing before an Administrative Law Judge. You want to have an attorney representing you before the Administrative Law Judge. It could take a year or maybe 2 before you get to that hearing, so you can spend lots of time finding an attorney that is very skilled at arguing Social Security Disability cases.

Just be sure to file each appeal within the timeframe that they give you. Don't ever miss a date.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't give up!! .. and get a disability lawyer FOR SURE.

More info here!

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/23463

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most people go through this delayal. It is totally wrong how they are treating disabled people. Don't give in - it's a step process, and you might need to get an atty. I know an atty you could communicate with if you want.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopingandpraying
Member # 9256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopingandpraying     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's absolutely unbelievable and disgraceful how difficult it for those who truly need help to obtain it!!!

The Lyme Disease United Coalition has good information for financial resources on their website:

http://www.lduc.org/lyme-disease-resources

Scroll down for financial help, etc., available from several sources. There is a section for "Attorneys" listing some specifically who will help Lyme patients with various cases.

Posts: 8981 | From Illinois | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it's appalling, but, sadly, this is usual.

Also, contact your state/local Lyme Support Group to see who people recommend from experience.

Don't give up. The hard part is surviving financially in the meantime.

Keep asking for help here, and everywhere for suggestions on the various issues that you are facing.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
etb, upon you appealing SS....now they will bomb you with paperwork. Paperwork that leaves a Lyme ill person in a overwhelmed state.

I was determined I could fight them by myself. I spent hours split up with many days of rest in between trying to answer all the questions on the forms.

After doing all that paperwork and waiting and waiting, I finally hired a lawyer. The day I got home from my appt with him.....my mail had my 2nd denial.

The paperwork became the job of the attorney. They are testing you and hoping you will go away.

Breathe! Take care of you.

Pam

--------------------

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't give up. It took me two years to get disability and I did have an attorney.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are old enough to qualify for the advanced age thingy.

GET A LAWYER that specializes in SS disability.

MADDOG

Posts: 3996 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
etb6855
Member # 48383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for etb6855     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THANKS TO ALL! As I say every time, ((EVERY MONTH???!!), I reach out about a major problem I am too thankful for your support and knowledge.

Want a chuckle? When I initially filed I asked for special way to receive paperwork because my eyesight is so blurry (I scored high on Visual Contrast Sensitivity test because I have mold and Lyme).

The SSDI has send me paperwork in very large print as that helps by ability to read it just like when I enlarge my computer pictures, print etc, which made it much easier to fill out with help from my sister because I could read it and see the line to respond. I sent the paperwork back to them on those forms.

Recently I got a letter (in enlarged form) from them that requested my responses be "submitted on the forms sent in regular font".

Really?

Posts: 86 | From LA | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

etb, that's the way it is. They will try to get you to jump through hoops.

Sorry, I know your anxiety. It's just not worth it to fight the system. Hire someone that knows the system.

Pam

--------------------

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Your local or state lyme support groups should be consulted for attorneys who are both understanding and experienced in the nuances of disability as well as chronic illness in general and - of course - know as much as they can about lyme.

Your vision issues might be seen as something that can be accommodated. However, some other issues might not be.

If you have ongoing conditions that impair you, such as vertigo or other vestibular issues - or any kinds of blood pressure drops like POTS or NMH, there are some tests that can show concrete -- things - my word loss just kicked in.

Within each of your symptoms, if there are tests that can be definitive . . . that infm mgt help

and, with some things, even if caused by or connected to lyme, you might also find some answers as to how to mitigate symptoms. A Tilt Table test for POTS or NMH, for instance.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone goes through this. They want to wear people down. Our advice - don't let 'em win - get what you deserve and work with people who are experienced.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

etb, I read this today and thought it might be helpful for you.

https://www.lymedisease.org/survive-financially-applying-disability/?utm_source=Aug+19--genetic+mice&utm_campaign=aug+19--mice&utm_medium=email

Pam

--------------------

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
The thing is that, unlike what some call an "entitlement" program, SS disability is something you have paid into - with each pay check.

Same with Medicare and even Medicaid, really. It's not a hand out at all, not something someone is "on" but it's their health plan.

Most pay into these in wage deductions &/or taxes over time. And, yes, some coverage may go to some who have not been able to work yet that is the least a society can do and there is benefit for all when the ill & disabled have basic health care.

you say that you are "57 years old and have worked since I was 15" . . .

So, SSD has been your insurance plan in the event of an then unforeseen disability. No one "deserves" to be so sick or injured that they are unable to work but, when such happens, the fact that there has been this program that we all paid into each month our entire working lives . . . that is supposed to help.

It's a meager amount compared to a paycheck, and being sick automatically tumbles one down in socio-economics and how others view us - and tumbles us down so very fast. It's sad this happens.

Those who have no clue will often speak of someone disabled as "on" disability. That really sparks outrage in that they are seen as moochers by so many critics.

So, I'm careful to remember and state that, no, no one is "on" any kind of hand out. Rather, their "disability insurance coverage" is through the Social Security Administration which has been holding onto the person's payments for all their working life, to invest wisely so as to be there if and when needed.

And, since there is such a terrible chance to actually address lyme / TBD and get proper treatment for most, this tumble down is not of our doing. Most with lyme are most impressive in all they do to take care of themselves against the greatest odds.

So, a disability insurance program that a citizen pays into - ought really to work for them when they need it.

my two cents
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement