LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Is Lymenet traffic down??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is Lymenet traffic down??
bcb1200
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi folks:

I've been around since being diagnosed in 2010. This site has been a great help and resource for me throughout the years.

Lately, it seems as if traffic is down significantly. In my "early years" there would be dozens and dozens of new threads per day with numerous replies. Now it seems we only get a handful.

Just wondering what others thought. Do you think its because social media sites like Facebook now have many lyme groups, etc.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HW88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't been here long enough to comment on the traffic, but I do know that this site (really the people here) are of MUCH greater help than the fb support group.

There is A LOT of knowledge here with those that have been kind enough to stick around and help.

I read a lot, but don't always post. Maybe there are a lot of stalkers like me. [Wink]

Posts: 798 | From Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's pretty typical for Lyme folks to take a break during the holidays. Then they are in recovery(somewhat more so) after the holiday.

I'm sure many have been effected by all the nasty weather the last few weeks also.

It will pick up.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sometimes people jus have a ton of stuff going on in their lives and it all gets overwhelming so they take a break.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob you are right. The visitation is down about 2/3 of what is normal and has been for a while.

Typically this site and other sites are crazy busy this time of year. Much more than in the summer time when you'd think it would be in the prime time because it is "tick season".

Winter time is the time of year people are (more so years ago) getting new or their first computers as gifts (holidays)...

And those who were bitten and treated with the CDC/IDSA failed protocol are sick again, typically are getting the run around and are saying...

"What the hay?"

They finally realize they need answers and come to LymeNet and/or contact volunteer patient advocates to get them, often after the rush of the holidays are over.

My guess is that we've been (a big group) very successful in educating the masses and people are learning because they know someone who has Lyme or they've read about it, or they can access the info easily.

You are right too, there are many more Lyme related sites each year and folks don't have to depend on the CDC/IDSA for crumby answers.

When people are better educated, less people will be running to sites like this for help because they will already know the tests are rotten, you need treatment ASAP because Lyme can be serious- even deadly, and they will know what docs to see, etc.

I am THRILLED to see this happening. Thirty-three years of trying to educate people local and even world wide has been so so hard on me and other volunteers. But, if it is helping, in my opinion it is worth it.

And if some day soon we can all have a big party (crab and lobster fest is my choice) and retire from the Lyme business, that would be fantastic!

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And may God bless all of the members who have been here for years on end and have reached out to help others along the way.

Thank you!

[group hug]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Just an example...

In the Seeking A Doctor section there have only been 3 new requests and 1 established member's request all year.

Only 4 requests in 8 days. That is lower than I've ever seen it.

Got to love it!

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Mashieniblick
Member # 50588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mashieniblick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know one thing that slowed me down in finding this place. What the heck does ‘flash’ discussion mean. It should be changed to the word forum or board... I would suppose many like me almost never click those words in the top left ‘flash discussion’
Posts: 61 | From Lees Summit, MO | Registered: Jun 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unlike Hw88 I have been here a long time but I totally agree with what he said above.

There is so much more experience and knowledge here than on facebook. I try to help In some of the groups...but its hard

The majority not only don't have good knowledge of Lyme...they have many beliefs that are really off base.

I go to fb more for other conditions I have ended up with. I'm not sure I've ever learned anything new there about lyme

Occasionally I see tincup pop up on my page but I don't think she belongs to any of the Lyme groups I am in

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
koo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for koo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was surprised to see this post since I was thinking the exact same thing and thought about posting as well.

I have noticed in the last 18 months or so traffic way down. It used to be a whole page filled with discussion every day.

Is there more information out there? Are people getting better educated?

Posts: 478 | From Third Coast | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bartenderbonnie
Member # 49177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bartenderbonnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on lymenet for 1 year.
I have noticed many missing lymenet members.
Oh, how I miss them. [Frown]

I think they are feeling better and returning back to their lives.

We form these intimate relationships during the darkest and lowest point in our lives. Their words are so comforting and without judgements. We need them in our lives and when they are not around, we worry about them. 💚

I do believe in local support groups. I send a lot of sufferers there because there is so much information and so many volunteers to help navigate this horrible DISEASE.

All we as a community can do, is to promise to keep in touch.

Posts: 2977 | From Florida | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all.

I didn't mean is traffic down these past few months. I mean if you go back to when I came on in 2010 there were numerous new threads per day, lots of replies, etc.

Seems like now we only get a handful of new questions per day and fewer replies.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrekCoord
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrekCoord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is probably a combination of the many things mentioned here. People are busy, people are feeling better so they don't feel they need to come here, etc.

--------------------
I still have a good time wherever I go!

Posts: 138 | From Lost Wages | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrekCoord
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrekCoord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wanted to add that I think some read but don't respond and as there are no counters to let us know if someone even read the post, we are unsure if someone even knows about it.

--------------------
I still have a good time wherever I go!

Posts: 138 | From Lost Wages | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I just sort of haven't been here as much .

I kind of excepted my plight and just do the best I can on my own.

Hopefully due to education, not so many are getting Lyme.

I have been here almost since the beginning.

Have had Lyme for 33 years.

Since Charlie passed away I do not come here as much.

MADDOG

Posts: 3996 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Brings up a subject I haven't posted about in a long time.

I see (again) many posts that have a lot of information shared and that takes a lot of time and often includes research and/or sharing past experiences and "putting yourself out there".

This service is offered to members by other members- all volunteers with experience who want to help. They are very educated and dedicated and try really hard to help others!

Aside from original poster not acknowledging the replies, or even saying that the responses were seen, another thing that is lacking are two simple words back to those who made the effort to help...

"Thank you!"

Just saying that a thank you can go a long way for those who spend hours on end here helping out.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

Agree Maddog.

I miss all those we've lost to this sucky disease. That's one of my reasons for returning to try to offer help or at least some answers and support.

I don't want to lose anyone else. I don't want to see people in pain and suffering.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is very down, I agree.

I guess people are visiting other forums / social networks?

I visited 'healingwell' for a while, met some interesting people, but discussions there do not get deeper usually...

I guess it's due to the format of the forum, that does not allow longer threads...

And moderators that are sometimes too 'conservative' ....

The worst cases are usually here in lymenet, I mean, the unhealthiest cases (poor us)...

at least, it used to be the case, in the past.

They may not have energy to even come and post?

If they have a family, and still have to deal with their own disease, it is very challenging.

No energy or time to socialize ?

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's sad .. I think most people hang out on Facebook and it's easier just to look for FB Lyme groups there. I don't belong to any of those, but I belong to a TON of FB groups.

I agree on the "flash" thing!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not posted / contributed as much as I was at all in the past several months.

I have been making really good progress and feeling better and better so I was using my time to organize my house that was falling apart

and filled with boxes and endless bags of paper and bills and "important" things. literally our house isfallting apart.

I have started back to work VERY part time and make a tiny amount each month, but this keeps me super busy since most of my energy gets used up fast (still) although slower than it used to!

I have not tried looking on FB and /or other lyme places except a couple that I had alread found that were good, like this place.

When I did check in this time and the last couple times I have noticed a huge decline in posts and responses here. It does make me a bit sad. I am not sure what it is, but me thinks

it could be what tincup(I think) said about the info is out there more so people can find it easier on their own. I do try and thank people . I know how important that is from my own experience. ,

but I do miss the larger crowd here. I wish more would stay to help as someone stated above. I try to contribute when I can. and another big THANK YOU to everyone who has- even if they arent specifically contributing and answer- your quesitons and complaints have also

helped me a great deal since it got my own brain churning for answers.

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement