LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » David Letterman Gives A Tick As A Gift

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: David Letterman Gives A Tick As A Gift
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David Letterman Gave Seth Meyers A Tick As A Gift On TV for May Awareness Month

Letterman has Lyme, Ehrlichiosis and Babesiosis.

The "Tick Gift" portion starts at 3:30 minutes.

https://themighty.com/2018/05/david-letterman-lyme-disease-tick-late-night-with-seth-meyers/

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I caught this yesterday and laughed. Sometimes it helps to laugh even at ticks. There's comedy in this.

Applaud Letterman for brining light(literally) to the subject of ticks and Lyme.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Mr Myers was a bit freaked out by that tick on his desk!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-Ohio
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 44364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-Ohio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn’t see this show, but am so glad that Letterman spoke up. He has had some wide-ranging positions on Lyme disease over the years, but this time he seems to have it right.

I am so sorry he has had Lyme disease and Ehrlichiosis, I do wish there had been mention of some of the other tick-borne diseases. If you go to the link below you can watch the

interview. Erin Migdol, who wrote this review is The Mighty's chronic illness editor. She seems to know her stuff about Lyme disease. Check out her links at the end.

https://themighty.com/2018/05/david-letterman-lyme-disease-tick-late-night-with-seth-meyers/#_=_

David Letterman Brings a Tick to 'Late Night With Seth Meyers'

David Letterman brought Lyme disease awareness to the desk of “Late Night With Seth Meyers” on Wednesday with an unconventional “gift.”

During his segment, Letterman asked the audience, “Anybody here ever had Lyme disease? I’m doing this to promote epidemiological health and awareness because Lyme disease, ticks, they’re everywhere.”

Meyers asked him if he’s had Lyme disease, to which Letterman replied, “Oh yeah. Probably got it now.”

“You look like a guy who would have it,” Meyers joked, as Letterman mimed itching and swatting his beard.

Letterman replied that he’s also had ehrlichiosis, another bacterial illness transmitted by ticks.

He then pulled a plastic bag out of his pocket with a live tick inside and said he pulled it off his lower back Monday morning and it’s been in the bag ever since.

“These are tenacious little bastards,” he said.

He dumped the tick onto Meyers’ desk and said it was on him at least overnight. He expressed amazement that the tick is still alive despite being sealed in a Ziploc bag.

“And by the way, don’t you think I get a little money from the Ziploc people?” he joked.

Meyers asked him if he was going to have it tested because you can send ticks to labs to test them for pathogens that cause Lyme disease and other illnesses.

“No I’m not going to have him tested, he’s yours,” Letterman replied. “You have him tested, you’re the man with the show.”

This isn’t the first time Letterman has brought up Lyme disease. In 1989, he did a skit about Lyme disease, complete with a person in a tick costume. In 2006, he said tick-borne illnesses are “one of the most overdiagnosed” illnesses, and in 2010, he said during a segment with Ben Stiller that Lyme is an “East Coast thing,” not a California problem.

Over the last few years, scientists have warned that the tick population, and thus the risk of tick-borne illnesses like Lyme disease, is increasing. Lyme disease is notoriously difficult to diagnose as testing methods are often unreliable. Undiagnosed or untreated tick-borne illnesses can cause a range of painful, flu-like and neurological symptoms that can persist for years.

Although Meyers joked that Letterman “looks like someone who would have” Lyme disease, it’s important to remember that you can become infected even if you don’t have facial hair or spend an extensive amount of time outdoors.
Lyme disease can be found throughout the U.S. and around the world, not just the East Coast. To learn how to create a “tick kit” and what to do if you see a tick on yourself, check out Mighty contributor Jena Whiston’s guide.

--------------------
Ann-OH

Posts: 1590 | From Ohio | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Letterman also mentioned that he had had babesiosis .. but he mispronounced it. (It's OK, Dave)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keep Living
Member # 51430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keep Living   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter and I watched this segment. We were not happy that the mention of Lyme disease makes an audience laugh.

--------------------
On The Tightrope

Posts: 1 | From On The Tightrope | Registered: Jun 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement