LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Off Topic » Vancouver Winter Olympics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vancouver Winter Olympics
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUlJahUtm04&feature=pyv&ad=5362582366&kw=we%20are%20the%20world

Any one know what time??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbB9RK32no0&feature=related

[ 02-13-2010, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: kam ]

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ttp://www.youtube.com/user/2010torch?feature=pyv&ad=4398555502&kw=olympics&gclid=CLHLmc7J6p8CFQwTawodB1uMcg#p/u/0/6qQ5AEcHp-Q

Torch relay. Not able to watch this myself as computer is limping along

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard on the news yesterday...they are trucking in snow. I bet some of you in the NE would love to contribute.

Pam [Razz]

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw in my TV paper it starts 'here' at 6:30PM Central time.

so that translates to 5:30 Mountain time

and 4:30 Pacific BUT local times may vary and they hold this till prime time.

best to check online,,or in local TV listings which comes with our newspaper.

Looks like lots of good TV watching now,,,even Survivor starts tonight

and Amazing Race Sunday!!

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tonight!! Can't wait!!

Trucking in snow. That's unbelievable isn't it!?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Thanks Don....

I guess if you had the right equipment to do the job it might not be a bad task....trucking in snow...kind of ironic

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
A reminder: The "We are the World" videos from both 25 years ago and the one they recorded this past week - are to be aired just before the ceremony. Not sure exactly what that means time or schedule wise, but a heads up as that should be very nice.

If anyone sees an exact time for that, I'd love to know. I don't watch much TV at all due to sensory stuff but others may hear of the specifics on and off during the day.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for liesandmorelies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is so very sad. I just heard a few minutes ago about the Georgian Luge athlete that died doing a training run. Not a good way to start the Olympics.

Prayers to his country and family.

--------------------
aka: Lyme Warrior

In order to do "real" science, you have to have a "real" conversation with nature.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History!

"Just Demand your Rights"

Posts: 869 | From nor - cal | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prayers going up. How tragic.

Those luge runners are something else. So dangerous!!

Will be a sad night. Hope the Olympians can try to enjoy their spotlight.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for liesandmorelies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know Lymetoo. I was thinking the same thing. I hope they can enjoy their night. They have all worked so hard to get this far.

--------------------
aka: Lyme Warrior

In order to do "real" science, you have to have a "real" conversation with nature.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History!

"Just Demand your Rights"

Posts: 869 | From nor - cal | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With regard to the Georgian luger who died during the training run, I thought it was kind of fitting that one of the pillars didn't come up for the lighting of the torch. Someone wasn't there who was supposed to be.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Darn...fell asleep while the countries that start with a B were entering

How was the opening ceremonies?

I heard the guy in charge say he was planning an intimate opening ceremonies. How did it do that?

Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I can only speak to the part in the stadium, the official event, as I missed the network buildup to that. You will probably be able to purchase a DVD of the main events later.

With the somber attention in all the right places for the Georgian luge team member who died earlier that day during practice . . .

I was thrilled with the opening ceremonies. For once on television, something very classy and nothing that exploded my brain - no major rip-roaring audio disasters or flash attacks from hell - I only had to turn away once for a few minutes.

It was a wonderful evening by all standards. To say it was technically adventurous would be an understatement.

The story line was so carefully woven - the ambiance so unique - that even the applause was muted by the audience members each having a drum allowing them to also participate. Rather than crashing applause to spoil an artful moment, these drums emitted a pleasant whooshing sound, adding even another layer of rich texture in an evening filled with sensory delights.

I was most impressed with the Native Peoples and their prominence throughout the event. The artistic endeavor simply soared on every level for every artist who participated. The staging and art, seemingly out of nowhere and fluid beyond imagination, was magnificent.

The proud level of Canadian politeness (which was skillfully illuminated numerous times during the event) is not lost on me at all. However, what draws me most to them is their love of beauty and art as well as their absolute respect for nature - it all shone through brilliantly.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Great "review" Keebler!

Kam... that was a great insight too on the missing pillar. Wow.

It was so sad to see the Georgian delegation walk in. Made me cry to see them so devastated.

I enjoyed the ceremonies too.

Hats off to our Canadian neighbors!!!

[hi]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Robin,

You wrote: "With regard to the Georgian luger who died during the training run, I thought it was kind of fitting that one of the pillars didn't come up for the lighting of the torch. Someone wasn't there who was supposed to be."

-----

Thanks for the explanation. The announcers were clueless and I'm glad to know now. Seems very fitting, indeed.

Also makes more sense. If one arm actually had malfunctioned, they would have needed to do some specific and visible work to be able to function without it - that was a major gas source there that needed to be closed off. They apparently did all that before the ceremony.
-

kam
Member # 3410

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZX-CzXyXDo

Hope I have not all ready posted this...this is a video of the torch being carried throughout Canada

just don
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So happy to see the Canadians get there first gold medal last nite

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler, my statement about the pillar not coming up was a symbolic one - how I felt about it - I believe it really was due to mechanical failure - but it was more fitting this way.

Thanks for your description of the opening - I thought it was a great opening show too -

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Robin,

Oh, I see. Wonderful interpretation on your part, though. Perhaps the Georgian team members also felt something in sync with that.
-

map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm really enjoying watching these winter olympics. The tradegy broke my heart. But the great stories on other athletes is so inspirational.

It's amazing just how dangerous these events are.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Pam,

Your mention of the danger has me also very concerned. A guest on the PBS NewsHour last night was discussing that.

The DANGER element has been raised on purpose - to attract more young people. The speaker has been reviewing this matter for several years and I must agree with him, it's very (I was going to say dangerous) situation but that is what they want.

What trumps the word "danger" to call attention to the fact that it can be a terrible standard to set as an essential element for any sport? This not only regards the potential for life-long damage to the athletes who make it to the top but also to the thousands who get hurt trying to get there, competing on their home turf.

It also raises the barre for that high-adrenaline rush that creates more risks for the physical and mental health of a younger generation, even if just watching. It's the adrenaline rush - and the national obsession with it - that may be just as dangerous as the athlete's higher, faster and stronger routines.

Why must it be so very dangerous to participants in order to attract patrons? I was shocked to learn this has been a conscious decision in planning by the Olympic committee.

I think it's part of a drug addiction in action. A true adrenaline high. A decade from now, I wonder what we will have learned about all that.
-

[ 02-16-2010, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/sports/jan-june10/olympics_02-15.html

View Video segment- 6:19

PBS NewsHour Feb. 15, 2010

Analysis: Death and Injuries Raise Safety Concerns at Winter Games

Olympic Motto: Faster, higher, stronger

Olympic historian and author David Wallechinsky from Vancouver - talks about the safety risks athletes face.
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

That's really sad that they are purposely making things more dangerous. I remember when they first began the moguls with the flips in the air.

I thought "Are they NUTS!?"

The snowboarding stuff too. People think the human body can always be "fixed" like a car when it breaks. NOPE!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
More my speed. What a fun guy:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2010/02/16/dnt.oh.sled.track.whio?hpt=T2

CNN - February 16, 2010

Grandfather Builds a Do-It-Yourself Snow Track / Luge - 300 feet track

Video- 1:30 - WHIO-7 reports

A grandfather builds a backyard sled track that he says can propel riders up to 20 miles per hour.

Dick Bowshier, 64, from Champaign County, Ohio
-

kam
Member # 3410

Hoping to read the posts soon...i have tried several times and not up to it yet.
kam
Member # 3410

I caught part of the snowboarding event last night.

Wow!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOvkq-cKRbg

This doesn't show the run I saw Shawn White do...it was his qualifying run.

It was so cool!

Lymetoo
Member # 743

LOVED watching Lindsay Vonn win her first GOLD! Yes, I said first... she's gonna win another. I can feel it!! [woohoo]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

kam
Member # 3410

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI8scrxcnMM

This is a get to know her before the Olympics

There was another one of her winning..I will go back later and take a look at it.

kam
Member # 3410

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O7aIlJCLy0
kam
Member # 3410

http://www.delish.com/cooking-shows/food-tv/winter-olympics-menu

Got to wondering what the Olympic athletes eat and what supplements they take to fuel their bodies.

Came up with this web site on what they actually ate at in Vancouver this year.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement