LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Off Topic » Bird Watchers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bird Watchers
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave just reminded me of something I use to do before my health went south.

I thank him for reminding me as it is something I can do now too.

so, I thought I would start a thread for others who wanted to share birds they see when they get out of the lyme cave.

Right now, we have Canadian Geese in my neck of the woods. They will be leaving soon..usually the middle of Feb so any day now.

And I have noticed the sound of birds in the forest lately...hoping to see them and figure out what kind they are.

I will be back with more bird sightings. Hoping others will join in too and share.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a big beautiful Pileated Woodpecker about a month ago. It was great to see one. Have only seen one other in my lifetime.

They are much more common here than in Texas.

Someone I was with (same day) saw a bald eagle, but I missed it...dang.

I LOVE birds and my mother and I used to watch them all the time from her window (I kept up a bird feeder for her.) at her assisted living facility.

We both love birds and flowers...bigtime.

woodpecker:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pileated_Woodpecker

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Topaz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Topaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love pileated woodpeckers! We have them here too.

I'm an avid birdwatcher and bird feeder. I also have lots of bird houses in my yard. I love watching them.

An odd thing here this year...

Robins and bluebirds never left for the winter.

We've had a huge flock of robins hanging around. They come to the yard at 7 a.m. and 4 p.m. Last year there was a huge flock that stayed all winter. They were hundreds of them! This year there are maybe 50-100 of them.

I know that robins have been known to stay around during winter in the past few years BUT, the bluebirds staying is very odd.

There is a little group of them, probably about 7 or 8, and they've been hanging around the bluebird houses. Flitting in and out of them but not making a nest or anything. I have no idea why they stayed or what they are doing but they are nice to see!

I'm hoping these are signs of an early spring. [Smile]

Posts: 423 | From Upstate NY | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's strange since this has been such a cold winter!

The robins just came back down here.. but I haven't actually seen one. Just heard someone say that they saw some.

And the bluebirds..?? weird! But nice that you got to see them all winter!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Topaz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Topaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love my bluebirds! And yes, it's nice to see them around through the winter but I kind of worry about them and wonder how they are staying warm and what they are eating. I guess they know what they are doing though.

When we first moved here about 3 1/2 years ago, there was only one couple that hung around.

They have had many nests and babes in our bird houses throughout these past couple of years so I think they are all one family, started from that first couple.

Here's one of them near their favorite house on our fence post during nest building time:

-

I also love my wrens. They've taken over two bluebird houses in my garden and return to them each year. I can walk right up to them, they're not afraid of me and don't fly away but sometimes they get annoyed and yell and holler and carry on. They're bold little things!

Here's one of my garden wren's from last year:

-

[ 02-23-2010, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: Topaz ]

Posts: 423 | From Upstate NY | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Thanks for the pics and the story. [Smile]
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love my birds. Tutu, an unknown bird started eating at my bird feeder in the fall. I watched and laughed because he was so ackward trying to reach his long neck up over the tray to get his head into the tube.

You could tell this guy wasn't used to feeding like this. Sure enough it was a woodpecker.

The birds were eating me out of house and home for about a month with all the snow we've had. Finally with snow covering gone they have found other food sources.

I most love to watch the cardinals. They were beautiful bright reds and looked so pretty with all the white/snow backdrop.

One morning the bird feeder was full and the tree next to it was covered with finches, cardinals, and doves, just all sitting there waiting their turn to feed. They were singing and happy happy happy.

I feed to attract cardinals and then I read on this site that Dr C says cardinals are carrier of ticks and lyme disease. I make sure I treat that area good with tick killer spring summer and fall.

Lord knows I'm a tick magnet. I'm waiting for my yellow finches to return for signs of spring.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Yeah, I don't really want a bird feeder where I am now. It would have to be on my back patio and there would be a huge mess there since it's rather small. My patio (raised) faces acres upon acres of woods.

I LOVE seeing cardinals against the snow!! It's an awesome sight!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

JR
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful pictures.
The sound of birds give me hope after these blizzards we've had this year.

Posts: 365 | From Sylvania | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TnFlowerChild
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24717

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TnFlowerChild     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey bird-watchers! Have you see the web-cams out there?

starrranch.org has barn owl babies (watch at night for activity) and a cam on a hummingbird nest (no nesting at the moment)

norfolkbotanicalgarden.org as a pair of bald eagles and their 3 eggs just hatched in the last few days - great camera work & blog, but no sound...

another eagle cam in Blackwater - Cambridge, MD has 2 hatchlings - need to look at the gallery pictures and video clips for best sights

wildearth.tv has eagle (love the Hornby Island eagles-getting close to egg time! & Sidney 2 has eggs ) and falcon cams plus others - got to watch the black bear cam - Lily and Hope - I'm a Lily-oholic!!! Baby Hope is just too cute... Oh and a Great Horned owl has taken up residence and laid 2 eggs in a bald eagle nest - eagles are due "home" soon...(MN Bound)???

and I understand a hummingbird is supposed to be hatching at phoebeallens.com anytime now

The birds here have been plentiful at my feeders with all the snow we've had - the goldfinches (males) are getting their mating plumage - turning real yellow!! Beautiful...

I did the Great Backyard Bird Count, and they "questioned" but recorded my 25 Cardinals - there were so many lined up on the branches anound my feeders that the branches were drooping!!!

If you noticed... the bird-cams are better than "soaps" to me [Smile]

Posts: 238 | From Jackson, TN | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do some searches on YouTube for 'baby owl'. The most ridiculously cute stuff comes up, both from cams in the 'wild' and from rehabilitation facilities that sometimes have owls that can't be returned to the wild. Those babies (and adults) are ridiculously cute.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Our local news channel shows us the owl cam several times a week.. it's part of one meterologist's weather forecast!

I just saw a beautiful bluebird yesterday!! It almost looked like a mountain bluebird... didn't get a really good luck at the front of the bird.

Hmmm... according to Wikipedia they are not found in MO. I could swear I've seen them in TX though.. and supposedly they are not found there either. I think they're wrong!

see pic here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Bluebird

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

MDW005
Member # 22706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDW005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can I reply to a post and attach a picture?

--------------------
God's promises mean you always have something wonderful to look forward to.

Posts: 2150 | From Georgia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

From your camera??

I can't help you there. Someone here should know!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

MDW005
Member # 22706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDW005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Thank you lymetoo my daughter helped me.

I love birds... I feed them all year. I think my favorites would be this yellow bird and my Humming birds.

Diane

--------------------

Posts: 2150 | From Georgia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TnFlowerChild
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24717

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TnFlowerChild     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a pretty Goldfinch! (male) Looks like last spring/summer? The ones I've seen aren't that yellow yet... but working on it!

I know I'm keeping them well fed! Have to get more Nyjer seed tomorrow - love to see the hanging upside down!

Posts: 238 | From Jackson, TN | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDW005
Member # 22706

Yes it was a picture from last year. they are still a green color this time of year.

--------------------

MurphyNC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MurphyNC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our male goldfinches are bright yellow already! We have 7 feeders in our backyard and they are by far the most prominent birds we have, going through literally pounds of Nyger and sunflower hearts (hey, they all know where the good stuff is:)

We get about 15 varieties of birds and once my husband and I counted over 90 on the feeders after a big snow.

We have a little soft spot for birds around here...

Posts: 108 | From Raleigh, NC | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TnFlowerChild
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24717

I have a BIG soft spot for the birds (and other critters!) - my fella says it's in my head!!! LOL

But he's right.... I'm estimating about 15 species and I can't count that quick!!! They are fast little buggars!!! LOL

MDW005
Member # 22706

I have a pond in the back yard filled with gold fish, any way...

every year I have 1 to 2 blue herring birds standing in and out of the pond. It is so facinating to watch them eat my fish.

This last Fall they were not there. I was so disappointed.

I live in a city... so was very surprised to see them in the first place. I will have to find the pictures I took.

(sorry about my spelling).

Diane

--------------------

map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I didn't know the finches change color. That is too cool. Now I'll watch the process. See what one can learn in off topic, if they would only come here?

Pam

--------------------

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TnFlowerChild
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24717

I've had fish ponds and end up feeding raccoons very well!!! And they didn't show their state fishing license.... [Smile]

Diane - I'll forgive your spelling if you forgive mine!! :0) Those darn letters mess me up...

Pam - They love the nyjer seed socks - if you put one up and they are around, they will flock to it! Oh... you mean "here" & other lymies... my mistake... ;0)

I live near a small river and we get herons standing in ditch water (overflow) fishing for crawfish and who knows what. Beautiful!

I'm originally from the west Tx desert (ELP), but I could never go back - I would miss my "green life" - trees and critters!

map1131
Member # 2022

FlowerChild, where do you purchase nyjer seed socks? Feed stores? Yes dear, here was lyme here.
[loco] [loco]

Pam

--------------------

TnFlowerChild
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24717

Walmart and Lowes have them as does Tractor Supply...

I bought 1 sock w/seed (around $3.99 - $4.99) and have refilled it with seed from Tractor Supply (8lb bag for $8.99 yesterday).

I'm going to try to get pictures of "my flock" to post soon.

Lorraine

MDW005
Member # 22706

Pam... I get my nyjer seed from the pet store.

If you have squirrels and chipmunks, they will

tear up the socks...from my experience.

I went with the plastic hanger tube, and I will get up to 7 finches on it and they fight for the space.

Diane

--------------------

TnFlowerChild
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24717

Would you believe the squirrels tore up my plastic hanger tube and have left my sock alone???

Thats Tn squirrels for ya!!! They hang off my feeders and I try to put out a pan of cracked corn, peanuts, and sunflower seed just for them.

Lorraine

MDW005
Member # 22706

Thats too funny...LOL, smart little critters.

--------------------

MDW005
Member # 22706

Spring is here...all my birds are coming back.

When I see Robins it's a sure sign. They need to fatten up... there red breasts are skinny.

--------------------

MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG, Owlets (when moma isn't sitting on them keeping them warm)!

Molly The Barn Owl's babies are starting to hatch:
http://www.ustream.tv/theowlbox

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

http://www.acornnaturalists.com/store/FLYING-COLORS-Beautiful-Birds-of-the-Southwest-P3267C0.aspx

This a web site for a coloring/guide to birds of the southwest.

A friend is bringing me one next month. Heard it was pretty good. Now, if I can just color. We shall see. Tried it in the past and wasn't able.

MDW005
Member # 22706

This evening I took my bird houses down and repainted them. Just maybe the birds will be attracted to them again.

Diane

--------------------

lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some birds like unpainted houses, such as the bluebird, as I have been told. Didn't actually interview the bird.

Just put up a bluebird box but it may be a bit late. No activity yet.

Got to get my hummingbird feeder washed up and ready for action.

There's an ornamental pond in the front yard of the house I just moved into. Neighbor says it used to have fish in it, and a great blue heron was seen perched on the roof of the house, looking down into the pond. Now there are no fish!

Thanks for the websites for bird cams.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Topaz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20216

Strange bird activity around here lately!

The winter was weird with the robins and bluebirds sticking around.

Now I've got some Eastern Phoebes(a type of flycatcher) building a nest in my garden shed after I left the window and one door open. Debated putting a stop to it by closing things up but then decided to just put some plastic down on the floor underneath and let them take over my shed for a while.

Also odd is that some barn swallows are checking out one of my bluebird houses in the garden. I thought they always built their own mud nests on the sides of buildings. ???

Lou, I've got my hummingbird feeder up too. Can't wait for their arrival!

I also put up my Baltimore Oriole feeder about two weeks ago. It's now mysteriously empty but I have yet to see a Baltimore Oriole.

Keep birdwatching, people!

MDW005
Member # 22706

I put my humming bird feeders up about a week ago. Still nothing but bumble bees flying around.

My yellow finches came back, and are feasting.

I put my parakeet outside on the deck a couple days ago to enjoy the weather. I got up next morning and the cage was upside down and my bird gone. I didn't see any feathers in the yard so hoping he escaped from the cat without harm.

--------------------

MurphyNC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MurphyNC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We put our hummingbird feeder up 2 weeks ago and now have had 2 males visiting for the last week frequently (ruby throats, I live near Raleigh, NC). I read up, and evidently the females come a couple of weeks later, males come earlier to stake out their territory.

Anyway, they're green but almost look black with a deep ruby throat, beyond pretty. Last year their coloring was more faded, less showy...dunno maybe a different family?

The other morning, I went out on the deck with a cup of coffee in the early am and I watched our hummingbird flying back and forth through our irrigation system taking a bath! It was so cute! Wish I had my Flip handy to video it,

Posts: 108 | From Raleigh, NC | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TnFlowerChild
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24717

The first baby bluebird has hatched... 4 more eggs to go. By the looks of it it hatched sometime Saturday evening or Sunday morning!

I put some of the small mealworms out for Momma - boy, have they gotten expensive! Last year, a bucket of 500 was about $7, now they are $10.50!!!

I think I need to find a cheaper source or start "growing my own!"

I also have a cardinal nest in the yard this year - she's on 3 eggs.

Saw a bluejay carrying a dogwood blossom to it's nest... was "she" redecorating? Or was "he" being romantic???

Our male hummers have shown back up - haven't seen the girls yet...

MurphyNC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15275

We noticed the female hummers today!

Flowerchild,
Congrats on the babies!!
Do you have bluebird houses in your yard or know much about trails?

I just bought a bluebird house (Baileys Bluebird Houses) because we have several that visit our feeders and bomb-dive the yard for beetles/worms! [Smile] so cute.

Then I started doing some research on how to put the thing up and realized it's quite an undertaking in order to insure survival and you have to monitor them etc...

I don't think I could bare a cat or a snake getting those little babies (I'm such a softie) Any advice you can share would be great. Also I bought dried mealworms and bluebird nuggets... neither was welcomed with open arms haha, they prefer the sunflower hearts. I'm guessing they like the mealworms alive?

Anyhow, nice to chat with someone that shares the bird obsession as I do! Even my husband enjoys sitting on the deck with me watching them.
Tia,
Murphy

TnFlowerChild
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24717

Hey Murphy!

Yes... we have 2 houses in the yard (over 100 ft apart - but they don't seem to like the second one too much).

We've had both good and bad luck with them so far. Something got the eggs one year - never knew what...

They say to face the boxes east, and away from trees that a squirrel could use to access the house with, in the open sunshine.

The pole you use is important too - something that is harder for raccoons and squirrels and snakes to climb. The door hole has to be a certain size so other birds can't get in and ... well you can guess...

Yes! It is a lot of work and heartache, but they are so pretty! I didn't have any luck with the dried mealworms... they thought "yucko"!

The fresh, live, small worms are very appealing to them. By small, I mean they average about 3/4 of an inch long. You keep them in a container in the fridge - buy them at bait stores - but don't fall for the "giant" ones - too big! & $$$$$!

I have a little stand (open bowl) near their house that I put the worms in, and once they discovered them it was .... bon appetite!

We had nesting Phoebes and they loved them too!

Enjoy your birdwatching!!
FlowerChild

MurphyNC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15275

Thanks, you too!
I'll keep ya posted on the bluebird house,

TnFlowerChild
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24717

Update: Lost the cardinal nest, probably the winds and rain [Frown]

The bluebird babies are doing well - trying to help Mom & Dad with a mealworm stand closeby - they think "fast-food" is wonderful!

But, did have a close call with the resident kitty (Miss Wookie) - she almost had one of the parents.... fortunately all is well... for now...

MDW005
Member # 22706

My birds are all back... woodpeckers, Titmice,
humming birds, thrashers, yellow finch, indigos, blue jays, cardinals and a bunch I don't know the names. I am so excited.

--------------------

Topaz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20216

TnFlowerChild, that's so sad when things like that happen. Glad your bluebird babes are doing well.

My bluebirds are back and have laid their pretty blue eggs. I took this picture yesterday.

-

The Phoebes that took over my garden shed have completed their nest. I'm sure there are eggs in there by now. They've got the best spot in town! I also took this picture yesterday.

-

No hummingbirds here yet but I am anxiously awaiting their arrival. Here's a picture I took last year. This guy is feeding from my oriole feeder. I guess he wanted a menu change from the usual hummingbird nectar.

-

TnFlowerChild
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24717

MDW & Topaz,

They look great! I love it when the birds are around, unfortunately so do the kittys... nature..

We've seen 2 of our male hummers and saw the first female this weekend also... poor thing braved the stormy rains!

MDW - the rain was headed your way - hang on tight and get the flotation devices handy!

Topaz - have you tried feeding the little mealworms? It can get expensive, but it's only for a little while...

Topaz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20216

No, I've never put anything out for them although I've often thought about it.

They seem to be finding lots of good stuff on their own here because they keep coming back and raising families.

Many years they raise two broods, which I love because then I've got SWARMS of bluebirds all around my yard! And it's so cute to their little family all hanging out together.

Topaz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20216

Major bird drama here this morning!

My wrens have arrived. And they are MAD!

In one of my previous posts, I was talking about some swallows checking out one of the bluebird houses in my garden.

Turns out they are actually tree swallows and they've been to the bluebird house every day. Not sure if they've built a nest yet because I've been leaving them alone and haven't looked in there, but they're doing something.

So anyway, last year, that was where the wrens nested.

Now that they're back, they've been hollering and yelling all morning because the swallows are in and out of the house.

The swallows go in, the wrens yell and stick their heads in the house and fly around like insane little things chattering away.

Then the swallows come out and dive bomb the wrens.

It's crazy! But really fun to watch. [Smile]

Don't know who will win this battle but I'm going out to pick another bluebird house. I'll put it up today.

TnFlowerChild
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24717

My goodness! We call our living-room picture window the "Nature Channel" - so much better than TV! Sounds like you have a lot to watch!

I noticed the Indigo Buntings at my feeders yesterday - so pretty!

Going to a "Garden Party" this evening at the best local Nursery - they are putting on a benefit for an animal rescue group. Should be a lot of bird/animal people there! I'm excited - got my mud shoes ready! LOL! [woohoo]

Topaz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20216

It IS like the nature channel, TFC!

How was your garden party?

The saga continues. Every time I look, they've switched places and one or the other are sitting in the box looking out at me.

Yesterday I put up a new bluebird box at the other end of the garden. I had partially screwed it in and it was dangling from the pole.

I went in the garage to go get another tool and when I came out, the swallow was already in there! I walked right up to him/her and was talking...not skittish at all.

Crazy birds. Should be interesting to see how this all pans out.

kam
Member # 3410

Not able to read the words lately, but enjoying the pics. [Smile]
TnFlowerChild
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24717

kam, I'm so sorry! I was wondering where you were! Will try to add some pics soon!

Topaz - The party had a great turn-out! Loving Paws should be very pleased and well funded for at least a little while - last year they placed over 200 dogs and 30+ cats in forever homes! Great bunch of people!

You need to catch some of this activity for Americas Funniest Videos - sounds hilarious! And could be profitable $$$ !! [Big Grin]

Topaz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20216

Everything seemed to be settled for a while there.

The tree swallows were in last year's wren(bluebird) house, the wrens were in the new one(bluebird house) I put up.

Suddenly no one wants the new house and they're fighting over last year's again.

I feel bad because I'm thinking the swallows must have already have laid their eggs in there because they've been there for a couple of weeks now.

Here are a couple of pictures I took this morning. The tree swallow is in the house and the wrens have her surrounded.

-

Then all heck breaks loose.

-

Poor swallow. I wish the wrens would just move on, there are plenty of other houses around.

lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a bluebird box also occupied by tree swallows. Evidently the hole is the right size for several birds.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Topaz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20216

Lou, I've had wrens and now swallows take them over. I keep buying more just to try to please everyone.

I took more bird pictures today. I can't help myself, they're all so active right now.

I hope I'm not annoying you guys by constantly posting them!

Here's a bluebird house I got for mother's day. I added a perch because I want to encourage the tree swallows to use it.

-

Here is my lovely bluebird couple. I haven't checked on the nest lately and am wondering if their eggs have hatched.

-

And here's the tree swallow still trying to claim the garden bluebird house. The wrens were fighting for it with them again today. Still not sure who has won!

-

I finally saw my baltimore orioles and hummers today! I'll work on getting some pictures of them. [loco]

TnFlowerChild
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24717

Oh Topaz! Wonderful pictures!! Keep posting - I love them! Wish I could take ones so good!

Saw an unusual sight Sunday... noticed what looked like an oversized grey pigeon sitting on a dead branch high up in a tree overlooking the "plantation."

Grabbed the binocs and took a better look... it was a beautiful (probably female) Mississippi Kite! Checked internet - sure enough!

We are on the northern fringes of what would be considered their spring/summer "range", but I think we have seen them before - past years -- but never got that good a look!

I snapped a shot from the cell phone, but you really can't see enough of it - didn't have my camera with me - this time! [bonk]

Topaz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20216

A day later and the perch I made is working!!

Not a great picture but can you see the swallow? One was also in the house.

-

I feel like a birdhouse master. [Big Grin]

Have your camera with you all the time, TFC! I'd love to see a picture of a Mississippi Kite!

MDW005
Member # 22706

Topaz... I love the pictures.

My grandsons have bird whistles and they started using them over the weekend...now I have so much activity in my yard I can't seem to keep up with the food for them all.I have four feeders.

--------------------

Topaz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20216

Kinda like the Pied Piper of birds, eh?

That's so cute. [Smile]

MDW005
Member # 22706

This article I found to be very interesting about the Mocking bird.

http://sungazette.com/page/content.detail/id/543537.html?nav=5013&showlayout=0

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement