LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Off Topic » Information about Colorado Life

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Information about Colorado Life
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are considering retiring in Colorado and would appreciate any feed back from those who live or have lived in Colorado.

We plan to take some trips out there but wanted to know if anyone had some good feedback on some of the areas.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we have friends there and they say it's very expensive

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a friend who has lived in Colorado Springs for about 35 yrs. They are from Texas and they like it in CO.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlp38     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's beautiful. You'll love it. 4 real seasons, sunny all year. We have lots of transplants because it's such a great place. I'm not sure but my guess is that it probably is quite a bit more expensive than Virginia, although that might depend on what part of the state you're interested in.

It blizzards in the winter but always melts off in between. I dont consider it to be that cold, but I've lived here forever. My mother in law is from WV and she can hardly stand to be here in the winter because of the cold. I'd say before you move, you'd need to visit in the summer and the winter.

Posts: 707 | From Colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are planning to visit as soon as we can get healthy enough to travel there. We will pull a camper and bring our dogs.

I am from NY and my husband is from Maine. We landed in VA because my husband was an active duty Marine.

I hear there aren't any fleas at those high elevations. I am also reading that there are less ticks at those elevations. I saw one article that said that. Wouldn't that be nice!!

--------------------
Faithful

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh that is wrong....there are ticks and fleas for sure. Just like Wyoming where we go twice a yeAr. I can't take the elevation cause of the headaches. We just travel through and get to new Mexico real fast.

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlp38     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are from NY and Maine, the weather here will probably seem wonderfully mild to you. In between blizzards, we have wonderful, sunny 50 and sometimes even a 60 degre day.

The cost of living also probably won't seem so high as it would if you were coming straight from Virginia.

I'm sorry to report that I got lyme here.

Posts: 707 | From Colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

We aren't sure about the area yet. One of my doctors has a house in Alma and absolutely loves it there.

I did read that ticks love the high elevation and there are lots of them in CO.

I picked up a travel book about CO and am hoping to visit as soon as I can get some of my health back.

I have been all over the US and in Japan so I have no idea where I picked up Lyme.

--------------------
Faithful

RubyJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RubyJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was born and raised in Colorado.

It's a great place and several towns/cities are usually listed on national "Best Places to Retire" lists.

Fort Collins and Colorado Springs are both nice cities and not as big and crowded as Denver.
We do have fleas and ticks, but far less than the east coast. I lived in Maryland for awhile and it's much better in Colorado. It's the dryness that the fleas and other east coast pests don't like.

As for ticks, we don't have Ixodes scapularus (deer tick) out here. Ixodes species like humidity. We have Rhipicephalus sanguineus (brown dog tick) and Dermacentor variabilis (the American dog tick). They mostly hang out at higher elevations, aren't as aggressive as Ixodes ticks, and are bigger and easier to see.
It's rare to get Lyme here, not impossible, but rare. Most of the people with Lyme that I have met in Colorado were infected somewhere else.

--------------------
"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art" - LaRochefoucauld

Lyme neuro symptoms for 20+ years.
Infected in Maryland.
Diagnosed with Lyme Jan 2011. (previously diagnosed with CFS, Fibro, peripheral neuropathy)

Posts: 261 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

i have several friends in colorado who got lyme there.

not "rare" at all. just undiagnosed.

--------------------

faithful777
Member # 22872

Can anyone really tell you where you got lyme? I have lived in many states and overseas. No one knows where I picked it up.

--------------------
Faithful

Dogsandcats
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just found out I have the lyme strain from Texas.

Now I realize it is possible for them to move around....but the last time I was in Texas/Oklahoma was 40+ years ago..(or any where near that area).

My last gift bite came from Alaska....

Sure are a lot of us for a bug that doesn't exist in most places....Uh Huh....

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

quote:
Originally posted by faithful777:
Can anyone really tell you where you got lyme? I have lived in many states and overseas. No one knows where I picked it up.

Maybe not, but I did get sick/fluish during a camping trip, and it was followed a couple days later by an odd rash.
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let us know how your visit goes.

I have been to some beautiful areas in Colorado and hope to go back to visit.

Wanted to purchase a home in Aspen during the 70's. I would have some prime real estate if I had.

I am currently living in an area in AZ where I have yet to see ticks or fleas.

One thing the vets told me when I moved here is I no longer needed to put that stuff on my dog.

I have heard of a few dogs getting erich (sp?)..but the owners thought they got it from the dog park.

We get lots of out of towners at the dog park.

The hunters here tell me they have never seen a tick while out hunting.

I don't know if concerns about ticks are a deal breaker for you or not.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

quote:
Originally posted by jlp38:
quote:
Originally posted by faithful777:

Maybe not, but I did get sick/fluish during a camping trip, and it was followed a couple days later by an odd rash.
There is still Rocky Mountain Fever in Colorado. I have lived everywhere and still most people never even remember that tick bite or the flu like symptoms. At least you knew something was amiss and hopefully saw a doctor about it.

I have gotten books and magazines about Colorado, and unless I hate it when I make the trip, so far I am sold on living there. The cost of living isn't any worse than VA.

--------------------
Faithful

jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

I think you'll like it.
faithful777
Member # 22872

Now I just have to get healthy enough to visit Colorado. I actually subscribed to Colorado Life magazine to see what activities there are in the state. Looks like there is so much to do.

Also, I love that there is so much organic food available there.

IV abx start in the next few weeks. Maybe by summer I can make the trip.

--------------------
Faithful

kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I lived in CA, I found a big difference in what part of the state you live in.

guessing Colorado would be like that too.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Research bird migration. Be especially wary of living directly right on a main path.

While we can't avoid some of the migration paths, living near a bird sanctuary can pose added risks for ticks. Birds often carry ticks and can leave them when they stop to recharge.

Keeping birds, mice and other critters away from (and out of) your home is also important.

Still, enjoy all the beauties that nature brings.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cocowyo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cocowyo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in Fort Collins and absolutely love it - mild climate compared to the rest of the state and people are really happy here. Plenty of natural grocery stores too :-)

If it matters, I would describe the political/cultural climate in Fort Collins as on the progressive side of moderate. We are a college town, but there are a lot of conservatives as well. The city is more liberal, whereas the county (including the city of Loveland, just south of us) is more conservative.

We were considered a "swing" district in the last presidential election, but the house district lines were recently re-drawn and we vote with Boulder (very liberal) now. If you are looking for a more conservative area, Colorado Springs would probably be a better fit.

I would also recommend living along "the front range" between Colorado Springs and Fort Collins to have the best access to lyme treatment and organic groceries.

If you want to live in the mountains and are in a financial position to do so, Summit County (Frisco, Dillon, Breckenridge) and Estes Park are within a couple hours of Denver and LLMDs.

More info on Fort Collins. The "Honors and Awards" section at the end are particularly interesting :-)
http://www.fcgov.com/visitor/fcfacts.php

--------------------
Clinical dx/muscle tests
+ CBS upregulation, parasites, babs
- bart, KPU, yeast, mold

Blood tests
MCTD (autoimmune): +RNP
MTHFR - homozygous C677T
CD57 - 192

Diet - modified paleo

Posts: 125 | From Rocky Mountains, USA | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

How expensive is it to live on a few acres? I am not a city girl at all. My husband wants us to consider Tuscon, AZ.

Being somewhat close to a hospital has to be a consideration too. Even though we are rural now, we can be at the hospital in 20 minutes.

It is so hard to get organic anything around here and if I am too sick to grow it myself, I want access to places where I can buy it.

--------------------
Faithful

faithful777
Member # 22872

Setting up a visit to Alma this summer and trying to find a companion to travel with. I am hoping to be healthy enough to fly but need someone to travel with me.

Any one know what the best month is to experience typical summer weather for the Alma area?

--------------------
Faithful

faithful777
Member # 22872

Finally have a cabin booked for late August to see Colorado. We are staying near Alma in Fairplay. Driving there in three days from VA so I can refrigerate my IV meds. Can't wait. First vacation in 25 years.

--------------------
Faithful

RubyJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RubyJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope you have a good time.
Don't underestimate the altitude effect! Take it easy and drink lots and lots of water.

--------------------
"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art" - LaRochefoucauld

Lyme neuro symptoms for 20+ years.
Infected in Maryland.
Diagnosed with Lyme Jan 2011. (previously diagnosed with CFS, Fibro, peripheral neuropathy)

Posts: 261 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightfoot
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I came to CO (Denver) in 1963 and it was love at first sight. We left for seventeen years and returned 10 years ago and now live in Colorado Springs.

The Springs is a lot more conservative than Denver, Boulder or Fort Collins. Other than that......we could not have picked a better place to retire. The pick was an accident due to the fact that my husband's last position was here.

I came from the Midwest and I LOVE the sunshine and dry air!!!

Good luck!

--------------------
Healing Smiles.....lightfoot [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 7228 | From CO | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Would love to hear how those that moved to Colorado dealt with the elevation above sea level.

We have a cabin rented in Fairplay late August but are going to spend the night before we get there in Colorado Springs. We were told to stay at a lower altitude and then drive up to Fairplay.

Any advice on a supplement if the altitude is an issue?

--------------------
Faithful

faithful777
Member # 22872

up

--------------------
Faithful

faithful777
Member # 22872

Got a camper for the vacation so we can go to a lower elevation if we have to.

The realtor is looking for the right house for us as the price for buying out in CO is ridiculously good.

--------------------
Faithful

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement