LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Roxithromycin instead of zith?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Roxithromycin instead of zith?
Sojourner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sojourner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wondering... I know it is not approved in the U.S., but since its the only macrolide that penetrates the BBB wouldn't it be better??? It's also much cheaper!!

Has anyone used it, as I know one may procure it from overseas pharmacies.

Posts: 554 | From Naples, Italy | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nellypointis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nellypointis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sojourner:
[QB] Just wondering... I know it is not approved in the U.S., but since its the only macrolide that penetrates the BBB wouldn't it be better??? It's also much cheaper!!

Don't state this as fact that roxy penetrates the BBB, practically no studies have looked into this.

Nelly

Posts: 416 | From france | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sojourner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sojourner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok Nelly, certainly not looking for an argument, there. You are correct (I guess). I am not a researcher and do not have abject evidence that it penetrates the BBB better than zith. Just repeating what some microbiologists say rather often.

Do you (or anyone else) have any experience with the drug---has it helped? I think that is the real purpose of my post--not trying to mislead anyone!
Thanks

Posts: 554 | From Naples, Italy | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In spite .... Roxithromycin is not considered a particularly good drug for LD.
I know that it should...

There was a clinical trial and it showed some advantages when combined with Septrim or Trimetoprim. Some patients confirmed herxing from this combo. Roxithromycin as a part of any other combo is a disapointment as far as I know.

Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nellypointis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nellypointis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who's looking for an argument? Are you? Why did you even think I might be "looking for an argument"? Can't we disagree without "looking for an argument"?

All I am saying is "beware of Internet rumours/opinions that become truths just from having been repeated often enough. Lots of this in the world of Lyme. We have to be careful.

Anyway, re Roxi. I can only remember one tiny opinion from a researcher at a conference saying he thought roxi crossed the BBB but AFAIK he never published on it. I think his name was Manuel.

I know Gasser, a Lyme doc in Austria, used Roxi tghthr with bactrim but I can't remember any miracles using roxi (Rulide trade name).

David Wheldon and his wife use it as the basis of their MS/chlamydia protocol tgthr with doxy and pulses of Flagyl.

I used roxi and ... I didn't experience any miracles either but I am not saying it is useless.

Nelly

Posts: 416 | From france | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sojourner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9424

Thanks Nelly, You Win!!!

and thanks for the info about roxy. I'm just one small, silly person looking at ways to deal with this crazy disease. I really don't know much-you know way more than me. I note that your first post in response to my questions had no usable information (just a spanking). Your second one, however, was much more useful.

Areneli
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roxi does cross BBB, but obviously it doesn't make it a miracle drug.
Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nellypointis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1719

Quote:. This study suggests that roxithromycin is extremely effective in crossing the blood-brain barrier. No other macrolides are known to behave similarly..."***

Yes, the q of how compromised the patients' BBB was at the time of the op.

We should also note that in 89 roxi (Rulide) was a very new drug and the latest macrolide on the market so AT THAT TIME it might've been the only macrolide that offered some hope of maybe crossing the BBB, but the lack of published data on the subject makes me a bit doubtfull that it does.

azithromycin and then Ketek came out and I"m quite sure azithromycin is at least as good as roxi at crossing the BBB (or as bad, maybe) it definitely accumulates more than roxi into some tissues

Nelly

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement