LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Buhner protocol costs & resources

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Buhner protocol costs & resources
Peggy in Maryland
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peggy in Maryland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've searched and can't find this specific topic covered. I have read what I can of Buhner's book.

I have assembled a list of the core protocol, located everything at Vitacost, and projected the amounts forward through the most intense portion of the program--the 60 days at full dose section.

It appears it will cost about $165 for the first month, $200 a month for the second two months, $165 for the tapering down period, and finally $41 a month for the maintenance period.

This does not include Cat's Claw, since Vitacost doesn't have it at the required dosage. I can get that from Raintree. Of coure, the totals will rise.

Before I spend this much money (in addition to IV antibiotics and home health visits), I'd like to hear from anyone who has done the complete core protocol.

Also, I understand I might be able to save a bundle using bulk herbs and encapsulating them myself, but I've never done that. Can anyone share their experience with that, and whether it's possible to get the recommended dose that way? Thanks.

Posts: 143 | From Maryland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Peggy

there has been alot of discussion on this herbal protocal here.

Do you know how to do a search? There is a wealth of combined information. Go up to search at the top of the page & click on the search word. Type in your topic-hit medical and then hit search..

Good luck to you
take care

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
8man12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 8man12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
go to first chinese herbs,and look for the buhner protocal in the search,it will save you alot of money,and the product is great.
Posts: 510 | From NEVERLAND.USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweet pea
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweet pea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Peggy,

I buy the Buhner protocol bulk herbs from 1st Chinese Herbs, and encapsulate them myself. It's easy, and I do it while watching tv. If you decide to order from them, it's best to do it over the phone.

Good luck,
P

Posts: 449 | From Vermont | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tammytoad
Member # 10548

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tammytoad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I ordered my herbs from smartbomb.com...

What i understand of encapsulating them yourself is that it is a very different product...if you use powdered herb.

the products you are buying are standardized. they are essentially drugs...it would be like encapsulating powdered willow instead of taking an asprin.

i did buhners protocol for 6 months...my gut just lost it in the end, i couldn't handle it anymore (oh goodness how am i gonna do on abx?!)

i cant say i am cured, but i do feel like things have shifted and opened a bit.
i am a big fan of buhners writing, but i am not sure of the success rate. i think it is worth a try...he has plenty of suggestions of core protocol with the abx too...pulling bb out of hiding and gettin em with abx...so many options!

good luck!

--------------------
pain is inevitable, suffering is optional

Posts: 6 | From vancouver, BC | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardynaka
Member # 8099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardynaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a Buhner's forum on yahoo group too.

The vitacost stuff is one of the cheapest for the main herbs. If you buy cats claw from rain tree, buy the sarsaparilla too. It's excellent and in the end, cheaper than vitacost.

Buy a capsule machine size 00, it costs about 15 dollars (or less) in Starwest Botanicals or Wonder Labs (if I'm not mistaken).

You don't have to buy loads as you don't know if you'll stand the herbs. Better to start one herb at a time. I was not sick for long when I started his protocol in December 05, but I had to go very slow (like a herb a month) and I NEVER reached his level 3 on most herbs (I stopped most on level 2).

It doesn't mean I was so sick I couldn't stand the herbs. It's just my body reacted so well to low amounts that I never felt I had to increase much more.

I improved so much like that. Now I'm on andro (2 caps a day), sarsaparilla (about 3 a day), samento (4 drops a day) and that's all. And most of my lyme symptoms are practically gone (I'm fighting some liver problem though, I'm not sure from where it came from, it's something totally new to me...).

Strongest herbs are andrographis and knotweed. Some people have difficulties with cats claw too (I had in the beginning). Sarsaparilla is the easiest, and cleanses the body. Astragalus is also easy, but I don't know if you'll take it (I did, I never had any bad reaction to it).

So I never reached level 3 of his herbs and improved anyway. Each person is different. If you don't mind the taste, you can start with taking cats claw / sarsaparilla in water in the beginning. I did that and only after a month on the herbs I bought the machine. Much easier to take herbs through capsules!

Selma

Posts: 1086 | From Switzerland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By all means buy the herbs in bulk and encapsulate them yourself. You will save about 4 to 5 times of having someone do it for you.

And if you buy your herbs from StarWest Botanicals or 1st Chinese Herbs you will get good product. As a matter of fact, 1st Chinese Herbs sells some of the StarWest brand. I also like the Plum Flower Brand that 1st Chinese sells.

You only have to get $40 at a time worth, to get FREE shipping also.

Other places require you to get $100 or more at a time for free shipping.

You can call OR order online from 1st Chinese with equal results, once you get used to their system.

I do believe that Selma is the exception to the rule though. I was up to 2500 capsules a month for awhile and about 1500 a month right now. Plus some tintures.

I have substituted Andrographis with Coptis, as it is much stronger. But be very careful with Coptis so you don't overdose on it. I am up to 3 "00" pills of it a day now. When these are gone, I will try to go to 6 pills a day of the "0" size. Probably won't have to go beyond that.

TAMMYTOAD: You PROBABLY won't be able to take abx if you can't take herbs.

I had terrible stomach problems BEFORE I started anything. Herbs did not help it, but did not make it worse either. Abx made it MUCH worse.

TRY using Nutritional WHolesales C-Salts. They cured my stomach. I just ordered a new bottle today. My third bottle of it. A bottle lasts me almost 6 months. I take about 3000 to 4000 mg a day. Buhner recommends it.

Jim

[Cool]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annxyz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are folks asking questions about the B protocol , so here we go one more time !
Best of luck to all trying this.
jen

--------------------
ANNXYZ

Posts: 744 | From Mineola | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for bumping this up again, Jennifer. I was looking for some of this information!

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement