LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Best Andrographis

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best Andrographis
typhoon_sheri
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10325

Icon 1 posted      Profile for typhoon_sheri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm trying to get through Healing Lyme,
When I go on this website to search it kicks up page expired, soooooooooo,

I am interested in the Andrographis, is sounds to good to be true. Is there a brand name I should be looking for ?

There are hundreds of places to order it from,any suggestions????? BEst prices ???

There are a ton of herbs I cannot take because I am on Comadin, the andrographis does not seem to interfer with this......

[ 04. January 2007, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: typhoon_sheri ]

Posts: 116 | From state of lyme | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annxyz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read posts that indicate that a lot of people use 1st Chinese Herbs .

Others have purchased through Vitacost I
believe.

--------------------
ANNXYZ

Posts: 744 | From Mineola | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Planetary Formulations.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Nature's Way, it is standardized in the manner that Buhner recommends. Don't know if it is the best, but it seems to be helping me...
Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Typhoon,

here is Stephen Buhner's site:

http://planetthrive.com/cgi-bin/members/pub9990215891170.cgi?itemid=9990239218373&action=viewad&categoryid=9990235248536&page=1&placeonpage=8&totaldisplayed=10

We love Goji berries and whatever else we need, we purchase at 1st Chinese Herbs. Their products are clean --- which is very important. And they are nice people with very reasonable prices. For us, in the same State, no S&H. It is so nice to find someone that doesn't need to get rich overnight.

You will also find good general information on 1st Chinese website.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.bioessence.com/

has worked well for me.

Posts: 153 | From Watertown, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I buy everything from myvitanet.com , very inexpensive, though it's really, really slow shipping.

Northern California:
In San Francisco (in case anyone's listening from there) they have most of this at either Rainbow Grocery or this herb shop:

Scarlet Sage Herb Company 1173 Valencia St
San Francisco, CA 94110-3026
(415) 821-0997
Scarlet Sage also sells several of Buhner's books.

I've also found all the herbs at Elephant Pharmacy in Berkeley and San Rafael (thank God, since myvitanet is being SOO slow on my order from before Christmas!). I had to get the andrographis from the Elephant Pharmacy chinese herbs counter as a powder and encapsulate it using my capsule filler gadget- the other stuff is on the shelf in the supplements section.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get most of my stuff from
1st Chinese Herbs, in just
three or four days and they
are way out in Washington
and I am here in Wisconsin.

Plus they are very reasonable,
and for those of you who don't
want to save money, they also
have most herbs in capsules
now.

Sarah is very nice to talk to
also, and very helpful and eager
to please. Give them a try.
Otherwise I used to use StarWest
Botanicals in California, VitaCost,
MyVitaNet, and others.

Jim [Cool]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
typhoon_sheri
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10325

Icon 1 posted      Profile for typhoon_sheri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I am reading Healing Lyme and have to read it over and over with the brain fog.

I am on Comadin for blood clots and wonder if I can still take some of the herbs.

THANKXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Posts: 116 | From state of lyme | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mtnwoman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtnwoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buhner recommends the Planetary Formula version (at least, that one exactly matches his specifications).

I get for about $8/bottle from vitacost.com

Posts: 211 | From NC | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by typhoon_sheri:
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I am reading Healing Lyme and have to read it over and over with the brain fog.

I am on Comadin for blood clots and wonder if I can still take some of the herbs.

THANKXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

That sounds like a question for
a. your doctor
b. Buhner's advice column: http://planetthrive.com/cgi-bin/members/pub9990215891170.cgi?categoryid=9990235248536

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
typhoon_sheri
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10325

thank you maria for the link on the advice column !!!!!!!
hardynaka
Member # 8099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardynaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on andro- Planetary Formula for 13 months! I never did more than level 1 of Buhner (now I'm on 4 pills a day), so I didn't try the 1st chinese...

I don't recommend the tincture. Buhner neither. They're much weaker in adrographolides than whole herbs. I tried to increase the amount of the Biopure tincture months ago (when I ran short of the whole herb), it didn't work as well as the brand above. No comparison at all in my opinion.

Selma

Posts: 1086 | From Switzerland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarsyNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What exactly does it do?
Posts: 465 | From New York, NY | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

According to Buhner, on page 78 of his Healing Lyme book, he says:

"Andrographis is perhaps the best primary herb to use in the treatment of Lyme Disease. It is antispirochetal, enhances immune function, protects heart muscle, is anti-inflamatory 9helping with arthritic symptoms0, crosses the blood-brain barrier where it is active as both an anti-spirochetal and calming agent, enhances liver function and protects the liver, helping clear infection from the body".

He goes on and on about it, touting its powers. BUT that is only one herb out of the many that he recommends. I personally do NOT feel just taking Andrographis will be enough for the majority of people with Lyme.

I am not taking it at all right now, as I am taking a much stronger herb for the time being, along with all the other herbs that I take too.

They all play their part in healing.

IF you do not have Buhner's book, by all means get it post haste, and READ it. Then apply what you learn as soon as you can. Having knowledge means nothing. It is the applying of the knowledge that will do the job.

Jim [Cool]

mag
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mag     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi jimbob,

i am looking in to this protocol
you mentioned that you are on a stronger herb

would you mind telling us - what other herb you are on

i am taking olive leaf extract
artemisia , grapefruit seed and some probiotics
thanks

mags

Posts: 259 | From California | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

Hi:
This MUCH stronger herb is Coptis. It is probably 4 to 6 times stronger than Andrographis. I got into trouble with it when I first tried it last summer. I had to go off all herbs for a few days, then gradually brought them all back, except Coptis.

It took me about 3 weeks to start feeling normal again. Then after a couple of months I tried Coptis again, this time without taking Artemisia annua and without Andrographis.

AND I started out SUPER SLOW. Only one pill a day for over a week. Then two pills a day, etc..
Now I am up to 2 pills, 3 times a day. I don't think I will go any higher than that. When I am out of the pound I have of the stuff, then I plan to go back to Andrographis.

Coptis is also quite expensive. It cost me $73 for one pound. But because it is so strong, it goes a long ways. It is probably THE strongest herb you can get without a prescription. SO, IF you try it go really, really slow and careful with it, okay?

I do take a lot of other herbs also. Right now I am at about 2/3 to 3/4 of what I was at during my maximum load for about 5 or 6 months.

NOW I am taking; EACH DAY: 8 Devil's Claw. 9 Cat's Claw. 12 Sarsaparilla. 3 Nettle Leaf. 9 Andrographis. 9 Resveratrol, (Hu Zhang). 6 Schisandra. 6 Coptis. 3 Milk Thistle. 1 Vitamin A. 1 vitamin B complex. 1 Vitamin E. 3,000 mg of Vitamin c in the form of C-Salts. 1.5 droppers of Red Root tincture. 3 droppers of Periwinkle.

These are the "0" size capsules. I split them up to three times a day, with meals.

I have taken others before, such as: Olive Leaf, Organo, Artemisinin, Artemisia annua, Siberian Ginseng, Yohimbe, Garlic, and others. But have quit them all now. Either they were detrimental to Buhners Protocol OR they didn't seem to make any difference. ANd Siberian Ginseng caused my skin to burn around my ostomy. Not fun. Some of those herbs are "hot" herbs and have a tendency to neutralize Buhners "cold" and "neutral" herbs.

Jim [Cool]

CaliLymer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6509

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliLymer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Everyone,

Anyone know what dosage is recommended???

Thanks,

CaliLymer

Posts: 215 | From CA, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarsyNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JImboB,

Thank you for the explanation.

That is a very interesting protocol that you
are on. How does one know which herbs are
contraindictated with antibiotics?

I will certainly pick up the book

Posts: 465 | From New York, NY | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John292
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John292     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JimBoB:
Hi:......
NOW I am taking; EACH DAY: 8 Devil's Claw. 9 Cat's Claw. 12 Sarsaparilla. 3 Nettle Leaf. 9 Andrographis. 9 Resveratrol, (Hu Zhang). 6 Schisandra. 6 Coptis. 3 Milk Thistle. 1 Vitamin A. 1 vitamin B complex. 1 Vitamin E. 3,000 mg of Vitamin c in the form of C-Salts. 1.5 droppers of Red Root tincture. 3 droppers of Periwinkle.
...................Jim [Cool]

Wow! You are taking a lot of herbs! How do you feel? How is the herxing? I think I would be homw in bed with all that killing goiing on.

Any concern about building a sensivity to any of those herbs? Do you every stop and for a few days to give the body a rest.

I am realy curious as to why you decided to take so much?

I have been taking sarsparilla since I read about in "Healing Lyme" and I think it works well.

Thanks,
John

--------------------
Nov-08 NutraMedix, BurBur Pinella WORKS, Japanese Knotweed, d-Lenolate, ALC, Was on Salt/C 1.5 yrs ended in 06
My brain is working better!!

Feeling very good now [Smile]

Posts: 182 | From Northern, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

First off, let me say, I QUIT the vitamin B complex yesterday. It was giving me pain on urination and even the rest of the time the last few days.

I feel much better today without it.

So now I am not taking so many pills. [Big Grin]

I tried one time to quit the herbs for a few days and the symptoms came back pretty hard. THAT was several months ago, but I have been afraid to stop them again. I sure don't want to go back to the way I was feeling a year ago.

What I am taking NOW is not so much. And a matter of fact, I NEVER got up to Buhner's Maximum recommendations.

I am taking what I am taking to feel BETTER, not worse. I herx very little if at all. I personally don't think there is that much die off with herbs. It is more to help with the symptoms and make you FEEL good while your own immune system is being built up again and doing its own killing of the ketes.

I take the Red Root tincture and the Sarsaparilla and Milk Thistle so I DON'T feel bad. IF you don't take those, you WILL feel bad and HERX as you call it. YOUR bodies canNOT handle the kill off by itself. You MUST have help in clearing out any and all killoff. THAT is what RR, S, and MT do.

You don't need a bunch of fancy pancy other MAN MADE expensive stuff to do the job. Keep it natural. Your body will love you for it.

You won't be perfect, but you will improve. I sure did.

John, the Sarsaparilla is good for cleansing your blood, but I sure hope you take a bunch of other natural herbs to work on the Lyme D.. Otherwise you are just spinning your wheels.

As far as any herbs contraindicated with abx, I don't know of any. And really don't care, as I hope to never have to go on them again. At least not for Lyme. About all they did was make my stomach hurt worse anyway.

Jim [Cool]

John292
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John292     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi JimBob,

I don't think to well....... so thanks for helpping me think!!!!

Buhner says the sarsaparilla is:
anti-spirochetal
modulates immune reponse
enhances immue response to lyme spirochetes
anti-inflammatory for arthritic symtoms
neuroprotector for brain function
cross the blood brain barrier
and more but I type slow and have to eat lunch.

I am going to get some red root extract and milk thisle pills.

Thanks, John

--------------------
Nov-08 NutraMedix, BurBur Pinella WORKS, Japanese Knotweed, d-Lenolate, ALC, Was on Salt/C 1.5 yrs ended in 06

Posts: 182 | From Northern, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

Yes, John, Sarsaparilla does all that and more. It is the ONE HERB I will still continue IF and when I ever quit all the rest. I probably won't quit all the rest though, as I had arthritis and asthma long before I got Lyme. And many of the herbs I take are good for the symptoms of them.

I will probably continue with the Periwinkle tincture and Red Root also for a long time to come.

I am at about 3/4 of my max now, and am considering cutting that to 1/2 soon and see what happens. I have experimented a couple of times in the past couple of weeks with only doing the herbs twice a day and didn't notice any real big difference, so may go to that after this weekend and see how I feel in the days ahead.

I just went to Planet Thrive and Buhner on there, said we should not have to stay on his strong recommendations for more than a year, and since it has been 13 months for me, I guess it is time to cut back.

Scarey to think about though.

Jim [Cool]

John292
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4628

Hi Bob and Thanks,

I think when I get done with the herbs and Salt/C I will try d-Lenolate from east park research. I meet this lady that was really bad from LD for 25 years. It is amazing how much she has recovered. She absolutely swears that is from the d-Lenolate.

--------------------

Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if you can take the andographs while on ABX?
Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Boomerang:
I wonder if you can take the andographs while on ABX?

Of Course. I take it you have not read Stephen Buhner's book, Healing Lyme?.

Jim [Cool]

MariaA
Member # 9128

Hi boomerang,

All these herbs work well with antibiotics. in some cases, there's some evidence that some of the herbs help conventional drugs work better, also (for instance one of the herbs has been tested in AIDS treatment studies which showed that it makes AZT work better than either the herb or AZT alone, and I think the author says something similar about antibiotics and the herbs)

If you're going to try this, though, get the Stephen buhner book, rather than just trying andrographis alone- there is a LOT of info in there to help you figure out what you experience on the herbs and with this disease.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

John292
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4628

I have that book and I started to take Red Root.

I am also started taking the Milk Thistle but that is not in the book..... can't hurt.

Now I have been cold for years and I have had chills most of the time. Since I have been on the salt/C for 17 weeks or so I have had worse chills.

So I started to use BONESET as this is supposed to help with chills. So far so good I think it is helping me. I feel warmer have less chills.

I also started ARTEMISIA ANNUA which is suppose to kill BABESIA. Chills come with babesia.

I know know that all these different infections live in the gut GI tract and there aren't any tests to find them. So I decided to try and kill this for awhile.

--------------------

MariaA
Member # 9128

OK, I want to suggest which Andrographis to NOT buy:

I just switched brands and bought the Planetary Herbals brand- they're small pills, not capsules, and were cheaper (correct standardised dosage that Buhner suggests taking)- and man are they bitter if you choke on them for some reason (you know, when you don't quite get pills down and they're still in your mouth when the water you're swallowing is gone). I imagine that if you vomit from doxycyclene or for some other reason they'd be coming up even more bitter than capsules (I had a nasty personal experience with this with the capsule form, and learned to not take the doxy and the herbs at the same time in case vomiting happened).

I think Buhner mentions this bitterness issue in the book but I didn't pay attention.

It's probably a good quality product since the company makes other good quality supplements, I just disliked the bitterness.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

JimBoB
Unregistered

Buhner in his book, recommends taking CAPSULES of Andrographis because TABLETS are so bitter. AND I know from experience he is sure right.

I bought 5 bottles of tablets when I first started taking herbs, and could hardly get them used up they tasted so bad. Needless to say, I never did that again. I don't care HOW CHEAP they are that way. Take it in capsules and you will have absolutely NO taste in your mouth, and as you probably know, your stomache canNOT taste. [Big Grin]

Jim [Cool]

JimBoB
Unregistered

up
mag
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mag     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jimbob

i really have become worse over the past 3 weeks - it is as though my brain was manufacturing the spirocyte.
So...... I read more on the buhner protocol and

i started the coptis, sarsaspar.. , reservatrol last weekend.- Better now - but i will have to stick with the program

I did have some back pain (maybe the reservatrol)
Any way thanks - this post has been most helpful

mags

Posts: 259 | From California | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annxyz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bump For those asking questions about improving
with alternatives

--------------------
ANNXYZ

Posts: 744 | From Mineola | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement