LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone know what causes frequent bloody noses?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone know what causes frequent bloody noses?
vachick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vachick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay...I am trying not to freak out, but for the past couple of months I have had a bloody nose at least once a week. It used to be almost always on my left side.

Now the bloody nose is happening at least three times a week, even at work without warning!

Last night I had one that started on the right side for the first time and it lasted an hour! It was a ton of blood, too.

This cannot be a good sign. Of course I think it is the big "C"...Leukemia causes such symptoms.

The air is dry around here, but why would I have so many bloody noses and no one else in my same environment? I am pretty concerned over this.

Posts: 331 | From virginia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duke77
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duke77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I worked with a man when I was in College who would get bloody noses all of the time for no reason. It turns out he had Hepatitis C. The doctors think he got it from a dirty tatoo needle. He had lots of tats on his arms.

Not to alarm you it could be something as simple as a chronic sinus infection.

Posts: 649 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi I get them or I did get them alot . I started putting bagbalm on my finger and shoving it up there then would inhale not to hard it tastes bad hahaha let it sit in there a while then blow my nose hard.
I do this right before bed and also when I get up in the morning after my shower.
It has pretty much stopped for me now.

I think I have had one since starting this last late summer sept? I think.

I think alot of this has to do with the change in weather summer to fall fall to winter etc.
The mucus membrains just dont seem good with having lyme or coinfections it messes everything up.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nebula2005
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nebula2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bartonella?
Posts: 353 | From Florida boonies | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tanzi2u
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tanzi2u     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking back with 20/20 hindsight, my daughter had random, fairly profuse nosebleeds along with NMH a few months before a number of chronic Lyme symptoms started to show up.

I always had a suspicion that they were connected.

Nebula, why do you suggest Bartonella? That could fit the picture here as well.

Posts: 115 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't exactly remember where I saw it, but I saw frequent nose bleeds related to bart as well.

I have done so much research lately.......and my Lyme brain can only process so much.

I had a nose bleed this week and I thought.....Oh yeah, that's bart. I also have the multiple swollen lymph nodes, sore bottom of feet, etc.

Ask your LLMD. Remember for a nose bleed, put your head forward not back. It should help the blood clot faster and keep it from going down your throat into your stomach.

Hope you get some relief soon.

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you should also BLOW ALL BLOOD OUT!

i had massive nose bleeds!

2 thoughts:

.... get a good humidifier for the DRY air!

... i ended up having 2 separate DEVIATED SEPTUM nose surgeries that were causing the nose bleeds, but

... i still have nose bleeds on occasions! so i went thru these 2 painful surgeries for nothing.

they roll clear plastic like used on men's shirt collars when shirts are pinned together, and you are NOT TO BLOW YOUR NOSE while these things are in your nose for 2-3 weeks!

my nose dripped constantly; it was a running faucet! they never had anyone like me since i'm so unique! [Wink] [lol]

but go to ENT, nose doc for checking into this!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vachick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vachick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that is a lot to consider. I am pretty sure I don't have Hep C...had a blood test 18 months ago and don't think I could have been exposed since. But who knows?

Today I have had constant dripping but small amount of blood coming just from the left side. It almost always has some blood. The right side of my face behind my eye and a little above hurts pretty bad since the massive bloody nose incident last night.

Ironically, I went to an ENT about two weeks ago for my constant neck/throat pain and he was worthless. May need to go again but to a different one? Sinuses could be an issue.

I tested positive for Bart or Babs...I can't remember which.

Posts: 331 | From virginia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
vachick,
I used to have faucet bloody noses as a small child. I spent 2 years looking like a walrus with cotton wool sticking out of my nose. coo coo ca choo...

Anyway, they thought I was a bleeder but could only find a minor variation in clotting time.

Ok, longer story that necessary to say... I'd go to an ENT and have them look and then cauterize the sores if they are there. It takes like a minute.

After that I've always put Boroleum in my nose and that helped heal and prevented getting bloody noses in cold, dry weather.

http://www.boroleum.com/index.htm
I have no connection to the company but this stuff is great for a multitude of things. It's cheap, you can buy it in the drug store and it's also great for chapped hands.

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be sinus or allergy related. Check with an ENT.
Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aligondo Bruce
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aligondo Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you might have leukemia. get your CBC test done. sorry to make you paranoid.
Posts: 523 | From Stillwater,OK,USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlisonP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting about the Bartonella connection.

All through childhood and youth, I would get the scary bad massive gushing nosebleeds, sometimes several times a week.

I tested positive for Bartonella as well, and my Lyme is most likely congenital so I'm sure that's what caused my nosebleeds. I don't know why they stopped when I hit my 20s though. I don't get them anymore. Hmm.

Alison

--------------------
 -

The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer. --- Edward R. Murrow

Posts: 923 | From California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme and other tick diseases infect the blood, so they could result in more nosebleeds.

Are you by any chance on any blood-thinning herbs or medicines? This could definitely give one more nosebleeds! Several medications often given for lyme are blood-thinners. Some are, heparin, gingko,and posssibly ibuprofen. Many other meds probably have this effect, too, to varying degrees. I wonder if any abx might also have blood-thinning properties, to varying degrees?
I hope you figure it out soon!
DaveS

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Merck Manual Epistaxis=NoseBleeds

Medications or substances causing NB

Drug interactions causing NB

Possible underlying conditions

Complications from NB

NB as a Symptom

Medical news summaries relating to Nosebleeds

Other Medical Articles

Infections of which we have.

--------------------
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be almost anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would get everything checked out including leukemia like Bruce said, but I wouldn't worry about it!!! It is much more likely to be chnages in the weather or something innocuous, but you should cover all the bases!! It is not a common TBD symptom as far as my experience!!!

My husband gets frequent bloody noses in the winter because of what cold does to his nasal passages!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you find out or it just stops*)@!*)!!
Best wishes,
Sarah

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Virginia of Yore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Virginia of Yore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be sure you are getting adequate Vit. K, which helps clotting. That's found in dark green leafy veggies like kale & collards.

Also, if you are taking much Vit. C, it acts as a blood thinner, and if taking high doses of C (pills, or lots of high C foods) that you stop suddenly, you can get easy bruising and more capillaries breaking. The body behaves as if one had a Vit. C deficiency. You have to gradually taper off the dose to avoid that. (A hematologist/blood MD agreed with me on that.) If I make smoothies routinely each day with lots of fruits very high in C, then don't eat them for a few days, I will notice a bit of blood on tissue when I blow my nose--otherwise none.

Posts: 193 | From Virginia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Betty,

If you have had that surgery you have been thru hell!!!!
I thought when he pulled out the plastic my toes were coming too. I could feel it clear to my toes.

It is the worse surgery I have ever had.

sick

Posts: 538 | From Iowa | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vachick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8353

Thank you all for your replies. I am going in to my LLMD )who is also an internist) for a full check up and will get the CBC done. I have my blood taken about every other month but haven't had it done in about three months so not sure how fast something like leukemia could surface.

So, I will have him check for Leukemia. gulp.

I went from the bloody noses to a full on cold/sinus infection which I have had the past three days. Not sure if the bloody noses were a sign of what was to come?

treepatrol
Member # 4117

After 3-1/2 months of treating babs with mepron & biaxin Xl I havent had a bloody nose not one.

And I use to have at least one or two a week for the last 10 years????
Just thought I would share.

--------------------

Newbie Links

WillBDone
Member # 14269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WillBDone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was looking back in the archives and found this post...

Incidentally, I had a recurrent problem with bloody nose always in my left nostril. I was having them practically daily.

Last summer, I saw an ENT who tried cauterizing it. That only seemed to make it worse. He had me applying Neopsorin 3 times daily to help heal it. That helped temporarily, but it didn't stop it entirely.

This all happened before I knew I had Lyme.

Since I began treatment with Doxy in Nov. I have not had a single bloody nose.

The first several days of treatment, I could feel "pops" in my sinuses as they cleared a little more each day.

--------------------
"You play the hand you're dealt. I think the game's worthwhile."

C. S. Lewis

Posts: 36 | From Illinois | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onthemend
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onthemend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everytime I visit my LLMD he asks me if I am having nosebleeds. With all the other stuff, I've never asked him what that would indicate (I haven't had them so far), but it must be a fairly common symptom of one or more of the TBDs. I think it's worth calling the doc to report - it may affect types or doses of what he/she's giving you.

best -

otm

Posts: 314 | From east coast | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamescase20
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you have a bart 1 aids like node in your sinus? I have one in my ear 3inches in, probly countless ones in my organs.
WillBDone
Member # 14269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WillBDone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will definitely tell my LLMD about this. Thank you...

I am not familiar with a Bart 1 aids like node? Can you link me to something that describes what that is?

--------------------
"You play the hand you're dealt. I think the game's worthwhile."

C. S. Lewis

Posts: 36 | From Illinois | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Limping Lily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Limping Lily   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
everybody,try taking bioflavinoids for capillary fragility, for that is what you all have.my son refuses to take them, ergo profuse constant nosebleeds.had a slight problem myself if i had a cold,but never gushers.vit.c & bioflav. or butchers broom always helps,plus i no longer worry about getting bad varicose veins! the bugs will always drain your body of nutrients,so make sure you get plenty!

--------------------
~*~ Carole ~*~
 - Young at Heart Grandmother of 4

Posts: 140 | From Morristown, NJ, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was still searching for answers as to why my health went south....

I started taking a baby aspirin or half of an aspirin an aspirin a day because I was getting information that it was good for the health to do this.

But, i also noticed every time I did this I would get a nose bleed that would not stop.

So hopefully, your nose bleeds are something simple like that also.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
use a HUMIDIFIER and BACITRACIN ointment put up in front of nose; not way back there.

my recent ENT dr. examined me and told me to use VASELINE .... that's a NO NO FOR LYMIES!

i didn't want a 3rd nose surgery! he saw no reason for one; good! [Wink]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement