LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Smoking and Lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Smoking and Lyme
Curiouser
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14128

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Curiouser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm quitting smoking..... again. Tuesday, actually. Why not today? This very minute?

Because my mother and I are spending tomorrow together and she smokes. Don't want to do that to myself.

But anyway, getting to the point here...

I've quit in the past and every time have felt like I've had flu the entire time. Fatigue, body aches, and a general feeling of blah.

The longest I've quit for was 3 months. The "flu" only went away when I started smoking again.

Of course, at that point, the thought of lyme being at the center of my health problems wasn't even a blip on the radar. And I wasn't nearly as ill then.

So I'm wondering. Is there some mechanism or reason why smoking would maybe supress the bugs?

Has anyone else experienced this when they quit smoking or am I just "special" in a nod-and-smile kinda way?

Thanks for any input on this. [Smile]

--------------------
If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there. - Lewis Carroll

Posts: 356 | From Body-PA, Mind-elsewhere | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not aware of smoking suppressing bugs - just suppresses ability to get well.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, something I read recently suggested that the immune system was depressed in smokers (can't remember the exact component, but it related to the disease fighting ability), so might it be possible that when you stop smoking, the immune system kicks in better and your "flu" is the result of a more vigorous immune response? Just guessing here.

If more vigorous immune systems fight lyme better, I don't know, because apparently an immune system in hyperdrive trying to catch an elusive critter that keeps changing.....that might not be so good.

Yours in puzzlement.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a very interesting idea, Lou. [Smile]

I've read that nicotine acts as an antidepressant.
They've found antidepressants to be helpful in dealing with pain.

Could it be the combination of increased immune response, along with no longer taking in the nicotine??

Hmmmm...... [confused]

Perhaps when stopping smoking, while fighting Lyme, temporarily adding an antidepressant might be a helpful way to deal with those "flu" symptoms?

You could try taking Tulsi (aka Holy Basil), it's an adaptogenic herb that helps with depression. It's much easier to stop taking than trying to wean off antidepressants and doesn't seem to cause the same side effects.

Maybe that could help you quit without too much added stress. If you try it, please let me know how it goes.

If it is due to increased immune response, heavy detox support might be helpful because your body will be trying to detox from the smoking cessation too. Lots of Epsom Salts baths, drinking plenty of lemon water, etc.

Good luck with your "quit". I hope you are able to get through it without too much malaise this time & I do hope that you are able to find a way to make it stick.

[group hug]
[hi]
Ali

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have heard EVERY excuse known to man,,,to justify smoking.

It just doesnt make sense to ME. heard it tastes so good. It does??

I am SURE those "HOOKED" on it would disagree,,,but to me not ONE thing positive is done for yourself,,,sticking those UGLY things in your face and setting it on fire.

BET not ONE SMOKER would tolerate me getting a burning anything THAT close to their face!!

Health harm is many faceted. Then they go to the end of the earth to get a lyme CURE,,,all the while the reason they are probably NOT getting well is right under their nose!!

Let me spew toxic fumes their way all day!! I used to set in meetings and they revelled in their ability to blow it RIGHT in my face!!Got so hazy in there couldnt see other wall 8 feet away.

Put ten chimneys in a small room and see how long it takes!! back then non-smokers were about 10-20 percent minority!!

I KNOW its HARD,,,very hard to quit,,,but the biggest obstacle is their own mind. ONCE their mind is made up to quit they do,,,until then it NEVER happens.

besides who needs such high expenses as THAT every week, day,year. Those that smoke,,,I DARE you to figure up how MUCH it costs you,,,cash,,,then what it costs health wise!!Then how much it holds back your treatment!!

how much is your life worth today?? MAKE UP YOUR MIND,,,and just do it,,,it only hurts for awhile!! Sure the desire will remain to the end of your life,,,prove your stronger than that!!

Would you continue to put up with a illegal drug abuser in your household??Is there a difference!!??

Dont miss your chace to CONTROL your destiny!! QUIT TODAY!!!remaining--just don--

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hubernacker
Member # 14548

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hubernacker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just don,

You are obviously not a smoker (nor am I). I know smokers who have tried many ways to quit. It's not an easy thing.

You are right that it is hard to quit - probably harder than us non smokers could even imagine.

And you are right that you won't quit until you are ready. I don't think beating them up for smoking helps either.

Posts: 39 | From NJ | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I quit smoking years ago for several months and my anxiety sky-rocketed and never diminished - not to mention I chewed gum like a cow.

I have definitely noticed that when I was having my breathing difficulties, sometimes smoking actually helped! In fact, there were many times I was out and suddenly developed a scratchy throat and a dry cough that would not let up until I took that first drag off my cigarette.

Smoking is known to help irritable bowel syndrome, and I think it is a lie that smoking causes cancer, heart disease, etc...

My personal belief is that people who have this desire to smoke intuitively smoke because they have some sort of parasite that smoking suppresses. I may even go so far as to say that perhaps they got the parasite BY smoking in the first place - but still, even if that were true, I believe they continue in order to suppress the bug they caught, irrespective of whether they caught the bug before or after beginning the habit.

I believe this is the same for heavy drinkers and alcoholics. They have parasites, but we sit there and try to shrink them down.

Also, I had occupational levels of arsenic a couple of years ago, which probably was from my smoking. But what kills Lyme? Arsenic.

And look at all the side effects coming from that drug that helps people quit smoking - people are having nervous breakdowns, going into rages, and committing suicide. Hmmm? Sounds like they followed what society dictated was proper - got rid of their disgusting smoking habit. But at what price?

When I no longer have the desire to smoke, I know I am parasite-free. Until then, let me puff away happily on my Carltons.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just don - wow. I can tell you don't smoke. But you must have some bad habit of your own to rip smokers apart like that. Do you use a cell phone by any chance? Because it's KILLING me, and I can't even be in the same BUILDING with a cell phone user, let alone the same room.

If you browse through Lymenet here, you will quickly see that women get hit harder (on average) with Lyme than men do. In fact, I've read numerous post on here where the female half of a couple is bedridden with Lyme for years, whereas the male half of the couple has zero symptoms, or maybe the flu for a week. And this is important - this happens regardless of whether or not the person smokes.

How dare you tell me I'm not getting better from Lyme because I smoke. That's ignorant. Turn your cell phone off, and maybe I'll get better.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joysie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joysie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curioser
As a former smoker ( I've been a former smoker several times [Smile] but I don't believe I'll smoke again ) I kind of know what you're talking about.

I do believe,though, that those are the side effects of our bodies flushing millions of chemicals, and the change in our metabolism that occurs when we do.

About 3 months after I quit smoking this time was when I really began to have moments of feeling better re:lyme and co. I know that not smoking has really helped me.

I will not lie, I miss it. It is a powerful addiction that only those of you who have known it can understand. Andmost of us who have smoked go to/went to extremes to keep smoke away from non-smokers.)

Please ignore the rants against smokers. For those of you who like to do that, IT JUST MAKES SMOKERS WANT TO SMOKE. Be kind supportive and
don't judge.We all have our flaws.

Good luck Curioser, you can do it. And you will feel better for it in the long run. Call on me for support if needed.

Posts: 520 | From Maryland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cordor
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cordor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa. Let's not fight. Does no one any good. As a woman ex-smoker with Lyme, I can tell you that quitting was one of those things that I had no choice about doing. I ended up in the hospital a little over a year ago, unable to breath (literally) and was on IV steroids for 5 days. That made the lyme REAL happy.
I quit cold turkey and have not looked back.
Do I think it has made a difference in how I feel?
Honestly, not really. Other than being able to breathe and having the wheezing COMPLETELY stop.....other than that my health has deteriorated.
Do I think that has anything to do with NOT smoking? NO!!!!!
If I were still smoking, I honestly think I would already be dead by now.
Just my 2 cents.

--------------------
Corinne

Posts: 529 | From Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curiouser
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curiouser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lou,
Hmmm... interesting thought. Will have to look more into that and will post if I find anything. Thanks! [Smile]
-------------

AliG,
Thank you for the info on Tulsi and detox, as well as the encouragement. Am heading to the health food store sometime tomorrow and will check for Tulsi.

Will let you know how it goes. [Smile]
------------

Tailz,
I've also noticed that sometimes a smokey treat helps with breathing. Unfortunately, I really "have" to quit, largely out of my own curiosity, but also to get better.

And I have to think of all that money going up in smoke having a better use in going towards treatment.

I want to find out what's being caused by my illness and what's actually being caused by smoking. Example: air hunger and coughing.

Are they part of my symptomology or are they the byproducts of a bad habit?

It'd also be interesting to see what my CBCs and thyroid panels are like after quitting for a month.

Smoking raises the RBC, hematocrit and hemoglobin levels as well as suppresses thyroid function.

Since I've had low ferritin levels for quite some time in spite of supplementation, I'd like to know if I'm actually anemic or not. Since smoking does raise those levels on the CBC, I've never shown as anemic.
-------------

JustDon,
I posted this, not to justify a bad habit and health hazard, but to find out why I would feel better when I was engaged in this activity and worse when I quit. That's it.

I understand many people get flu-like symptoms for about 2 weeks after they quit. 6 weeks to 3 months seems a bit excessive to me for withdrawl symptoms. Thus the query.

Unfortunately, I often lack the ability to properly express myself clearly and on the first try at that.
-----------

hubernacker,
Thank you for understanding.

Its very difficult to quit smoking. That's why so many of us keep quitting and then going back.

Its a crutch. Its an addiction.

If I'm not going to let some measly little bugs get the better of me, I'm sure not going to let some shredded leaves do the same... this time.

--------------------
If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there. - Lewis Carroll

Posts: 356 | From Body-PA, Mind-elsewhere | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curiouser
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curiouser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joysie and Cordor,
Thank you for your encouragement and your stories. Its nice to know I'm not alone and can beat this thing.

I was typing the previous reply while you were posting your comments (takes me awhile).

To be honest, I'm used to the attitudes of non-smokers. Been getting the talk for years.

I take it in the same vein it was given. I think people really DO care and don't want to see us (smokers) causing ourselves more harm than necessary.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement