LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Ear Ringing from Antibiotics - does it go away when you stop them?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ear Ringing from Antibiotics - does it go away when you stop them?
Health
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never had ear ringing, until I started Minocycline a couple years ago. The ear ringing started about 10 days after I was on it, It was mild, but there, and I stopped the minocycline

and went to Biaxin. Minocycline in those 10 days had been extremely effective, but I was concerned for my ear ringing.

Now, over 2 years later and still on antibiotics, I have worse ear ringing. I went back on minocycline because I felt that I would just live with the ear ringing because of the mino being effective, but I then went off minocycline due to purple marks all over legs,

I am now on Azithromycin, waiting to add in Mepron as soon as I can get it, but I have this

terrible ear ringing. I have been on Azithromycin now for 23 days, and it is severe ear ringing.

Really high pitched ear ringing, and when I am alone in my room, and there is quiet, it is just
severe, really nerve racking. I think it is getting worse the ear ringing,

but I need to treat the Babesia, so dont know what to do, I will talk to LLMD when I can about this,

I also was on Quinine and Clindamycin for Babesia before and this made ear ringing bad too.

Now it is severe, and not sure if it is actually due to Babesia symptoms? not sure.

It is like a severe high pitched sound like a big truck coming down a hill with screaching brakes, ALL the time, it is getting worse.

Will this go away if it is from the antibiotics?

I had NO ear ringing before antibiotics, but I do have really bad babesia so I am told, and wonder if Babesia could cause ear ringing?

Maybe a combination of things.

I cannot imagine living with this my whole life.

JUST thought of something, I was thinking that I also am VERY sensitive to the sound of the water running in the Bathroom when I wash my face, so much so that I have to shut it off and go in room and ly down, it feels like I will go insane from the sound of the water running when I wash my face,

I have NOT had this before so badly, so it could be related to the ringing in my ears, I have been trying to figure out what is going on with me, if this is a herx, too strong, or just babesia acting up, I have NEVER had such sensitivity to the running of water, the sound,

So this could be related.

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

I am so very sorry to hear about your ears. Yes, indeed the hyperacusis (sound senstivity) can be related to the tinnitus which seems to be related to the abx.

Some of the medicines you are (or were) on are on several ototoxic lists (quinine, mino, zith). Some lists vary, but many have reported tinnitus from these.

Also know that combinations may result in ototoxicity. Alcohol or other OTC products or chemical exposure can also have an effect on this, as can noise exposure.

Your doctor may have suggested supplements such as magnesium, NAC or B-6, B-vitamins to guard against this. Liver support can also be of vital importance here. D-methionine may help, too.

Individual reactions may vary, but your doctor should be advised ASAP.

I've studied this for years as it's the main reason I simply cannot do any abx at this point.

You ask if it will go away. I don't know. For some, it does. For some, it has not yet.

Three years ago to this month, minocycline was the straw on the camel's back for my ears. Zith, too . . . many others. I can't even tolerate allicin for the tinnitus it causes (for only me, it seems).

My ear doctors advise getting off anything as soon as possible if it triggers tinnitus. With lyme tx, herx may be a problem and some tinnitus may subside, but it's a huge risk.

Noise damage that may not have surfaced could be a contributing factor, too.

For now, postpone any dental work that you can. The ultrasonic cleaning or drilling can be damaging to already tender ears.
If you must have work done, make sure they give you frequent rests from the noise.

Also, it's best if you do not skip meals. Along the herx line, which can contribute to tinnitus, Porphyria (or secondary porphyria) could be causing this. that's another whole subject, and here's more information for that with a similar protocol to that of lyme: www.cpnhelp.org/secondaryporphyria

For now, be sure to at least eat slow carbs and lots of good green and orange veggies. Eat every few hours so you have a good supply of slow carbs. this could save your ears if excess porphyrins are a player. Easily digested proteins and good fats, too.

* be sure no aspartame (nutrasweet) is in anything you take, even cough drops, toothpast.

* same with MSG - and it has many forms. you can google. one form is in lots of canned tuna

* avoid canned tuna as it is often high in mercury (swordfish, too). There is list you can find somewhere, but salmon and sardines seem okay.

Heavy metals can cause the same sort of sensitivities as can aspartame and MSG.

with the ototoxic links I'll post next, be sure to check for any over the counter (OTC) stuff you take. Aspirin can cause tinnitus, too.

Some research points to B6 and NAC as helping. I may not have energy to post those abstracts now, but I'll check back later.

Hopefully, this can get better, I hope, but I sure hope you can call your prescribing doctor first thing on Monday and see if they have any solutions for you.

In the meantime, magnesium . . . up to bowel tolerance might help. Fish oil, too.

Based on advice from my hearing docs, avoid earbugs with a walkman or ipod. there are button types of headphones that you can put directly IN FRONT of you ears that don't stress the auditory nerve so much.

And protect your ears. Abx can make ears more subseptible (sp?) to damage even from normal noise. Ear plugs around the vacuum and even the hairdryer (yes. . . yes!). Anything over 80-85 decibels (I think that's right) can cause damage in any ear in just 90 seconds. Anyway, hairdryers are usually around 100 db.

Earplugs in the shower or while drawing a bath. I find having the kitchen water running just beneath the point of pain is best. It takes a little longer to rinse a dish, but if my ears are in so much pain from it, it's counter productive.

I have to turn my fridge off when in the kitchen. If you do this, be sure to put a kitchen towel wrapped in a funny fashion so you will remember to turn it back on.

I'm sure I'll bounce back a few times with this or that.

Rest at a 20-30 degree angle with head higher allows for the best circulation of the vestibular system.

Listening to music may help you ignore this, but don't be too close to the speakers and be sure not to have it on too loud.

take care. Good luck.

-

[ 03. March 2008, 02:19 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Oto-neurologists or Neuro-otologists are doctors who understand both vestibular and neurological systems. One has more training as a neurologist with the other more training on the vestibular.

ENT - Ear, nose, and throat doctors.

AUDIOLOGISTS can help assist with testing, vestibular training and aids. There is something called "tuners" - or similar name that can retrain the ears to disregard the tinnitus.

P.T. there are some physical therapists who have special training with vestibular stuff. (Of all the professionals, though best to see someone who also really knows about lyme. People with lyme seem to have a whole different mix that many professionals in this area have never seen - in my experience.)

----

QiGong and Tai Chi are slow movement exercises that can help retrain if balance is affected.

An EXERCISE BALL (best if used so the vinyl off-gassing does not get to you). Helps retrain. Helps stretch some muscles. Gentle, gentle, gentle bounces are good. Work up from that.

AIREX BALANCE MAT. a 2-3 inch heavy foam mat to help retrain inner ear. You can google it. $50. Well work it. And fun, too. You can do some exercises for feet as well.

==============================

The Hyperacusis Network consists of individuals who have a collapsed tolerance to sound.

www.hyperacusis.net

================================

The Vestibular Disorders Association (VEDA)

provides information, resources, support, and advocacy for people with dizziness, vertigo, and imbalance and for ...

www.vestibular.org

==================================

The American Tinnitus Association - http://www.ata.org/

About Tinnitus - http://www.ata.org/abouttinnitus/index.php

In almost all cases, tinnitus is a subjective noise, meaning that only the person who has tinnitus canhear it. People describe hearing different sounds: ringing, crickets, whooshing, pulsing, ocean waves, buzzing, dial tones, even music.

Protect yourself from Tinnitus

risks of loud noise and how you can avoid damage to your ears. Remember Your Hearing Protection and how to properly insert ear plugs.

====================================

Remember to check OTC products you may take. Aspartame (nutrasweet) and MSG are excito-toxic and can trigger tinnitus for some as well.

Caffeine can also cause tinnitus.

Perfumes, lawn / cleaning chemicals, and gas heat or gas stove can, too, especially in those with MCS.

If you have a gas stove, be sure to turn on the exhaust before you light the burner and again just before you turn it off. And bring some fresh air into your home frequently.

Magnesium is a good detoxifier and it can calm the NMDA receptors that are usually elevated with lyme/tinnitus.

Several lists of ototoxic meds are listed as some offer information that others do not.

=====================================

http://tinyurl.com/28vzmx

Ototoxic Medications

Timothy C. Hain, MD

Lists and advice such as: Ear drops may contain antibiotics, some of which can be ototoxic when administered to persons with perforated ear drums.

=========================

http://www.tinnitusformula.com/infocenter/articles/treatments/excito.aspx

Excitotoxicity & New Drugs for Tinnitus

by Barry Keate - article at link - just one source

Ototoxic Drugs Can Damage Hearing

Ototoxic drugs, which are medications that are toxic to the ear, have the potential to cause permanent or temporary hearing loss. ...

www.asha.org/about/news/tipsheets/ototoxic.htm

excerpt:

Ototoxic drugs, which are medications that are toxic to the ear, have the potential to cause permanent or temporary hearing loss.

Approximately 200 prescription and over-the-counter drugs are recognized as ototoxic.

Some common prescription and over-the-counter medications that are known to be ototoxic include aminoglycoside antibiotics, select chemotherapy medications, anesthetics, cardiac medications, glucocorticosteroids, mood altering drugs, and some vapors and solvents.

===================================

http://www.netprocorp.com/shhh/nys/fall98/art4.htm

OTOTOXIC DRUGS - Orin Kaufman, D.O.

This article indicates which most commonly used medications could potentially cause damage to your hearing, or aggravate. . . .

Ototoxic Drugs: Background and General Information

My original page on ototoxic drugs addressed only NSAIDs, and I put it in question and answer format. Gradually I've added sections on other drugs, ...

www-personal.umich.edu/~mshlafer/ototox.htm (copy & paste)

I can't get this URL to work lately. It was from a University of Michigan researcher. Here is an excerpt I have in my notes from this site:

As of 1997 (the most recent data [author] could find), Pfizer, the American manufacturer of azithromycin (ZITHROMAX) was aware of 10 cases of spontaneous deafness occurring during therapy with the drug; 39 cases of decreased hearing; and 31 cases of tinnitus.

[The author] found 6 articles on azithromycin and hearing (or other ear function) changes. Some noted that:

* a coexisting viral infection may increase the risk of auditory adverse effects of the drug (readers should note that antibiotics are not indicated for viral infections);

* prolonged use of high doses of the drug, as might be used for bacterial infections secondary to viral infections such as HIV, are probably associated with a higher risk of ototoxicity, but the ototoxicity is reversible;

* people with liver or kidney problems are probably at greater risk too because blood levels of the drug may build-up, since the drug isn't being eliminated as quickly as it should.

-

Ress and Gross (Irreversible sensorineural hearing loss as a result of azithromycin ototoxicity; Ann. Otol. Rhinol. Laryngol. 2000 Apr; 109(4): 435-437) . . . .

reported the case of a 39 year old woman who received azithromycin for a urinary tract infection (an inappropriate use, since the infection was not due to Chlamydia -- the only bacterial-related urinary tract infection for which azithromycin is indicated).

Within 24 hours of taking her first ("ordinary") dose, 500 mg, she developed tinnitus. The next day she took her second dose (250 mg), but stopped taking further doses because the tinnitus seemed worse and she felt she was losing her hearing.

She then sought further medical help. Audiometry showed moderate-to-severe high frequency hearing loss in both ears. According to the report, her hearing had not improved after 12 months.

(abstract can be found at http://tinyurl.com/yosj5q )

www.hearinglosshelp.com/products/ototoxicdrugbook.htm

BOOK: Ototoxic Drugs Exposed: Prescription Drugs and Other Chemicals That Can (and Do) Damage Our Ears (Paperback)

by Neil G. Bauman (Author) note: an ebook is $10. less.

Also at www.Amazon.com carries it. (1 customer review)

Google - and also PubMed. You can cross search: "Rx name, ototoxic" also "Rx name, ototoxicity"

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Azithromycin, ototoxicity - 7 abstracts

Be sure to check with both ototoxic and ototoxicity as you'll get a fuller search that way. If vertigo is involved, you might also add "vestibular" or "vestibular toxicity" to the search.

You may need to check several sources, different researchers. No one source has it all.

-

[ 03. March 2008, 02:12 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shoney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shoney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had ear ringing-cut the zith to every other day (with my LLMD's approval) and it stopped the ringing.
Posts: 561 | From eastcoast | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

http://tinyurl.com/3xpvck

Arzneimittelforschung. 1988 Mar;38(3):396-9.

ANTIVERTIGINOUS ACTION OF B-6 ON EXPERIMENTAL MINOCYLINE-INDUCED VERTIGO IN MAN

[Article in German]

Claussen CF, Claussen E.
Neurootologie, Universit�ts-HNO-Klinik W�rzburg.

By means of a former investigation it has been proved equilibriometrically that the application of 7 X 100 mg minocycline may induce a central equilibrium dysregulation of the brainstem type.

It was the purpose of this study to further assure that the minocycline induced brainstem vertigo is due to a destabilization of a supervisory gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA)ergic loop from the archeocerebellum upon the pontomedullary vestibular regulating pathways.

As it is pharmacologically known that pyridoxine is essential for the synthesis of GABA, an inhibitory CNS neurotransmitter, 2 separate double blind trials on 20 healthy young persons each were carried out after the intake of 7 X 100 mg minocycline during 3 days with and without 7 X 40 mg pyridoxine simultaneously.

These trials were checked against an additional placebo or initial non drug investigation. In all the 40 test persons it could be proved that the amount of vertigo and nausea symptoms was increased significantly due to the application of minocycline only.

However, when combining minocycline with vitamin B 6, the vertigo and nausea symptoms as well as the nystagmus signs from the monaural and the binaural vestibular ocular tests

as well as the vestibular spinal signs from the craniocorpography recordings of the stepping and the standing procedures were remarkably reduced.

There were no statistical differences between the initial or placebo trials versus the trials with a combination of minocycline with vitamin B 6. (poster's note: I think they mean in abx effectiveness.)

The same holds for the vestibular vegetative reactions, measured by the simultaneous electrocardiography during the vestibular tests. All the equilibriometric tests applied showed a significant destabilization under the influence of a pure minocycline loading.

(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)

PMID: 3382463 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

NAC LOOKS PROMISING, TOO.

http://tinyurl.com/35o6p8

Kidney Int. 2007 Aug;72(3):231-2.

N-ACETYLCYSTEINE IN THE PREVENTION OF OTOTOXICITY.
Tepel M.

Charit� Campus Benjamin Franklin, Medizinische Klinik IV, Nephrologie, Berlin, Germany.

Prevention of ototoxicity after the administration of aminoglycoside antibiotics has been notably difficult, in particular in patients with chronic kidney disease.

Feldman et al. report that oral administration of 600 mg N-acetylcysteine twice daily significantly ameliorates gentamicin-induced ototoxicity in hemodialysis patients.

That approach may help to prevent aminoglycoside-induced hearing loss in these high-risk patients in daily practice.

PMID: 17653228 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

PubMed Search: ``ototoxic, protection `` 83 abstracts
(as of 1-8-08)

-------------------------------------------------

http://tinyurl.com/2eytky

Hear Res. 2007 Apr;226(1-2):92-103. Epub 2007 Jan 16.

PREVENTION OF NOISE AND-DRUG-INDUCED HEARING LOSS WITH D-METHIONINE.

Campbell KC, Meech RP, Klemens JJ, Gerberi MT, Dyrstad SS, Larsen DL, Mitchell DL, El-Azizi M, Verhulst SJ, Hughes LF.

Southern Illinois University, School of Medicine, Springfield, IL 62794-9629, USA.

A number of otoprotective agents are currently being investigated.

Various types of agents have been found in animal studies to protect against hearing loss induced by cisplatin, carboplatin, aminoglycosides, or noise exposure. For over a decade we have been investigating D-methionine (D-met) as an otoprotective agent.

Studies in our laboratory and others around the world have documented D-met's otoprotective action, in a variety of species, against a variety of ototoxic insults including cisplatin-, carboplatin-, aminoglycoside- and noise-induced auditory threshold elevations and cochlear hair cell loss.

For cisplatin-induced ototoxicity, protection of the stria vascularis has also been documented. Further D-met has an excellent safety profile.

D-met may act as both a direct and indirect antioxidant. In this report, we provide the results of three experiments, expanding findings in D-met protection in three of our translational research areas: protection from platinum based chemotherapy-, aminoglycoside- and noise-induced hearing loss.

These experiments demonstrate oral D-met protection against cisplatin-induced ototoxicity, D-met protection against amikacin-induced ototoxicity, and D-met rescue from permanent noise-induced hearing loss when D-met is initiated 1h after noise exposure.

These studies demonstrate some of the animal experiments needed as steps to translate a protective agent from bench to bedside.

PMID: 17224251 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

======================================
======================================

http://tinyurl.com/25otzl

``. . . antioxidants such as alpha-tocopherol or tiopronin . . . ``

Acta Otolaryngol Suppl. 2004 May;(552):42-5.

The role of antioxidants in protection from ototoxic drugs.
Sergi B, Fetoni AR, Ferraresi A, Troiani D, Azzena GB, Paludetti G, Maurizi M.

Institute of Otolaryngology, Catholic University of Rome, Italy.

A number of studies have shown that cisplatin and gentamicin ototoxic effects may result from free radical-mediated damage due to the reduction of antioxidant substances and an increased lipid peroxidation.

The authors summarize the results obtained evaluating the auditory and vestibular functions and the inner ear hair cell morphology and survival after administration of antioxidant agents against cisplatin and gentamicin.

. . .

In conclusion, antioxidants such as alpha-tocopherol or tiopronin interfere with gentamicin and cisplatin damage and this suggests that they may be useful in preventing oto-vestibulotoxicity.

Therefore, it is important to develop protective strategies that permit the avoidance of the toxic side effects of these drugs without interfering with their therapeutic effects.

PMID: 15219046 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://tinyurl.com/ytxhl3

Georgian Med News. 2007 May;(146):14-7.

Does vitamin E prevent gentamicin-induced ototoxicity?

Kharkheli E, Kevanishvili Z, Maglakelidze T, Davitashvili O, Schacht J.

Centre of Audiology and Hearing Rehabilitation, Tbilisi, Georgia.

A randomized double-blind study was performed to check the protective efficacy of vitamin E against aminoglycoside ototoxicity.

52 patients scheduled for gentamicin therapy because of acute pulmonary infections have been tested. Volunteers were randomly assigned to receive additionally either vitamin E or placebo.

The daily dosage of gentamicin amounted to 240 mg and that of vitamin E to 2800 mg. The treatment lasted 7 days. Hearing function was assessed before the start of medication and at the follow-up visit 6 to 8 weeks afterwards.

Elevation of auditory thresholds occurred in similar number of patients in the vitamin-E and placebo groups and no statistically significant differences were found between.

Vitamin E has been not confirmed thus to possess any protective action against gentamicin-induced ototoxicity.

PMID: 17595452 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

====

If one study seems to contradict another and you really need more information, you might see if you can locate the entire article. One question about vitamin E is about the type used.
Was it synthetic or natural? Was it the same in both studies? It could make a difference.

-

[ 03. March 2008, 02:16 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

www.fqresearch.org/special_16.htm

The Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Research Foundation

By Donna Anderson

As printed in Hearing Health, volume 17:4, Winter 2001

EXCERPTS:

Everyday hearing-robbing culprits range from noise and smoking to a variety of environmental chemicals. And in the healthcare arena, mainstays and marvels of modern medicine, although less predictably linked to auditory effects, can inflict damage.

Take Cipro (the common name for Ciprofloxacin), for example. This powerful antibiotic has been in the news a lot lately as Americans rush to seek protection against anthrax. Cipro is a known ototoxic villain.

Ototoxins are substances that harm or poison the ear. Some cause toxicity in the vestibular organ where our sense of balance, position, motion and orientation in space is controlled. Nausea, vomiting and dizziness are signs of this kind of poisoning.

Others, such as Cipro, can cause cochlear toxicity characterized by hearing loss or tinnitus (ringing in the ears). This is reason for concern considering the potential for widespread use of the powerful antibiotic among frightened Americans.

. . .

Even worse than Cipro

Aminoglycoside antibiotics are much heavier hitters than Cipro. This is common knowledge among healthcare professionals. Doctors usually reserve this class of antibiotics for bacterial infections which have not responded well to less ototoxic antibiotics.

Aminoglycosides, which are known under the generic names of gentamicin, streptomycin, amikacin, neomycin and tobramycin, can cause either vestibular or cochlear toxicity. They make their way quickly into the otic fluid in the inner ear but leave slowly. While the aminoglycoside-laced otic fluid bathes the nerve cells, more and more damage is done.

The first symptom of ototoxicity from this category of antibiotics is typically a high-pitched ringing in the ears or hearing loss in higher frequencies.

If the medication is stopped immediately, the tinnitus may go away within a couple of weeks. However, in some cases, a permanent and total loss of hearing can occur within a month or two.

Other antibiotics are also ototoxic although to lesser degrees than the aminoglycosides. Erythromycin, from the class called macrolides, comes under many brand names and is known to damage hearing.

Most often ototoxicity occurred when the drug was given in very high doses for more than one week. Fortunately, the hearing loss is usually temporary. Other macrolides, such as azithromycin, clarithromycin and troleandomycin, seem to be less ototoxic.

Vancomycin, another antibiotic, is typically prescribed with caution, usually for patients who are allergic to penicillin. High doses are often the culprit if hearing loss occurs; the loss is usually irreversible.

Patients who are using both vancomycin and an aminoglycoside, a course of treatment for certain types of the heart-related condition endocarditis, should pay particular attention to signs of ototoxicity.

Two other members of the antibiotic family pose some concern. Capreomycin causes hearing loss in about 10 percent of those who take it.

The drug, often combined with other medications to treat tuberculosis, also causes vestibular toxicity. In most cases, however, once the drug is stopped, the cochlear and vestibular symptoms stop and are reversible.

Minocycline, the only member of the tetracycline class that is a known ototoxin, is most often used to treat sexually transmitted diseases. It causes vestibular symptoms which may be noticeable after only one or two doses and will fade once the drug has been stopped.

. . . .

Beware the chemicals

There are some notable chemical ototoxins that sometimes exist in work settings or in the environment, primarily through contamination.

They are: trichloroethylene, xylene, styrene, butyl nitrite, toluene, hexane, carbon disulfide, mercury, manganese, tin, lead and carbon monoxide. Individuals who are exposed to any of them are at risk for auditory damage, a risk that is even higher if they are also taking an ototoxic medication.

. . .

Other culprits

(notes from other classifications of drugs included here).

ADR Watch

. . .

Over 300 auditory and/or vestibular symptoms are included in current ADR reference sources, according to a review released in September `01 by the American Academy of Audiology (AAA).

The list is a literal A to Z, including everything from deafness to decreased hearing, ear infections, loss of balance, roaring in the ears, tinnitus, vertigo and many more.

Author Robert M. DiSogra also carefully researched the ADR references to determine what drugs display one or more of these symptoms, ending up with nearly 2,000!

Among them are the many ototoxic products already mentioned plus some more familiar names: Claritin, Clomid, Cortisporin, Doan's products, Imitrex, Levaquin, Lithium, Motrin, Pepcid, Prozac, Tegretol and Xanax.

It is important to remember, though, that none of these or the countless others on AAA's comprehensive list are unsafe or will cause auditory symptoms in most users.

It does reinforce the point, though, that individuals taking any medication should monitor their hearing, sense of balance, etc., as closely as all other side effects and report them to their physicians.

- full article at link above.

For a complete copy of the AAA review, mail a check for $20 (postage included) to:

Adverse Drug Reactions
c/o American Academy of Audiology
8300 Greensboro Drive, #750
McLean, VA 22102

www.audiology.org/publications/jaa

The Journal of the American Academy of Audiology (JAAA) is the Academy's scholarly peer reviewed publication, issued ten times per year and available to ...

------------------

www.audiology.org

The American Academy of Audiology is the world's largest professional organization of, by and for more than 10,000 audiologists.

-

[ 02. March 2008, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

I'm done with my tsumani of information (I think).

As Fin points out, yes, it's quite a dilemma. Lyme/TBI can be very damaging and treatment is vital.

I have read many reports of lyme patients who had severe vestibular symptoms that were relieved after treatment for lyme/TBI. So, I'm not advocating avoiding treatment at all.

However, a damaged vestibular system can damage a life.

As I try to figure this out for myself, if I find any other good info, I'll post it, but for now, sorry if this is overwhelming. I hope others who have worked through this will posts and offer suggestions.

I encourage those with good doctors to ask about measures for oto-protection. Some already make such suggestions.

For those without doctors, be careful about mixing and matching. Some herbal or nutritional supplements may help, some might not. Quality is, of course, essential.

And, this is just one more reason to be a free of perfumed products and household chemicals. Minimizing the liver's load might make a difference. The very best in self-care matters, too.

These links in posts above are not just for us here, now. This is information that might help others you know - or five years from now if a doctor suggest a certain drug, you'll know how to be sure it's oto-safe.

For anyone with students in the house, this could be an excellent speech topic.

Here's to everyone's vestibular health !

-

[ 03. March 2008, 02:03 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zithromax causes ear ringing, very common. It should go away in a few days after you stop taking the drug. Zithromax stays in your system for a few days because it has a long half life. Are you stopping it, or just dropping the dose?

I remember the ringing in my ears on 1,000 mg IV Zithromax....needed my iPod on during those days all day! It goes away of you drop the dose or switch to oral Biaxin. Then you get Biaxin metal mouth instead but it's a good drug. [Smile] Good luck.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
health, NEVER been on zithro, etc. but was on doxy/biaxin pulsed for 20 months.

i've been off abx for 2 years; still have ringing in ears; not as frequent as it was but still there.

keebler, thx for the WEALTH of links you put here; i'll add the above link to my newbie package to help others!! [group hug] [kiss]

kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had ear ringing for years...only heard it in a quiet room.

After six months of zith...it has gotten louder. Been off zith for a month...still there.

I think I'll just have to live with it.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bandit100
Member # 11941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bandit100     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have Tinnitus. Mine started January 07, but I was not on ABX. I didn't start ABX until August 07 after my first LLMD appointment in July. I believe mine is just a symptom of Lyme.

Does anyone know if Bennicar, which is for high blood pressure, can cause Tinnitus? I started that the month before I got Tinnitus, but have not been able to find any information that suggest it causes it.

I am going to start a new protocol of Clindamycin and Quinine today and am concerned that the info on Quinine state if you have Tinnitus to not take the med.

I called the doctors office and they said to go ahead and try it. If the Tinnitus gets worse stop taking it.

I sure wish I could find something that made it go away though.

Roger

Posts: 25 | From Missouri | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Roger,

Pre-existing noise damage or other damage to ears might be noted. Remember that a loud concert that had your ears ringing for two days may not show up as damage for decades.

Blows to the head or spine might be included in your history as such can affect hearing in several ways.

If your doctor is a seasoned LLMD, he may already have safeguards in your protocol. Or he may have seen better effects of other patients with the combination of Rx.

NAC, in one of the abstracts below, seems not to interfere with quinine's absorption. You might ask about that, noting way up the abstract about NAC's help in preventing ototoxity in gentmiacin patients.

You could ask about using B-6, but I could find no links for that and quinine.

Also notice, in the abstracts to follow, that not everyone is affected the same way, or even at all.

Tinnitus, to some, is an annoyance. To others, it can be devastating. Be sure to communicate to your doctor the degree / complexity of your experience.

Also, be sure to check all that you take in - foods, chemicals, perfumes - and be sure your total load is as light as possible.

Caffeine can make it worse, as can low-blood sugar. Adequate rest and sleep is vital. As Dr. B noted in his first ILADS guidelines, this is time for the very best of health care. You might take a look at his list of supplements, too.

Certain nutritional deficiencies can cause tinnitus, too. Be sure you are getting what you need and that the timing of vitamins and supplements is according to your doctor's protocol.

And, for myself, avoiding gluten, corn and dairy are also key.
I might be able to have a little dairy now and then, knowing it may increase vertigo a bit, but gluten and corn will flatten me for a week. That may be an individual thing, but you might find some relief by experimenting.

In the area of self-care, exposure to loud sound should be avoided, as ears are more sensitive during abx treatment. Earplugs handy? Earmuffs can be bought at hardware stores.

The Hyperacusis Network (way above) has some pretty cool types of hearing protection.

I have the Bose noise cancellation headset and am very disappointed in it. It is good for movies, to offset the sudden and ear-splitting shifts in volume, and good on a airplane. But they make a little hmm themselves and I find they actually increase tinnitus for me. I have to wear them with earplugs to go into a grocery store, though. They do have a purpose. Just not as great as I'd like.

Although, wearing earplugs with tinnitus makes it more noticeable, but still during noisy activities, it can prevent damage. Rather than earplugs to sleep, soft music might help or a very quiet fan for some white noise.

Please don't base your decisions on my comments or abstracts posted here. This is just part of the research. Doctors have access to full articles and, hopefully, consult their colleagues about such matters.

A protocol, including any supplement advice, is given with much consideration. Be sure to follow it as changing just one thing might change the effects. If you can't afford certain things, be sure to ask about that.

With apologies for so much stuff here, the very best of luck with this. May the treatment work exceedingly well.

-

[ 03. March 2008, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Roger asked: "Does anyone know if Bennicar, which is for high blood pressure, can cause Tinnitus?"

What immediately came to mind is that Lyme / TBI can cause tinnitus, too. And, noted in a post way above, if a person has excess porphyrins that, too, can cause tinnitus. That's another whole area of research.

Still, even if a drug is not listed as having tinnitus as a reaction, if it happens for you, that is what matters. Respect that and act as you think best.

This is a very complex matter and no one knows everything about it.

--

I only searched PubMed for this. Other audiology sites may have more.

Benicar, tinnitus - No items found.

Benicar, P-450 - 3 abstracts. (thinking that if porphryra were a player, tinnitus might result. Drugs that trigger porphryia use the liver detox pathway Cytochrome P-450.)

==========================

http://tinyurl.com/35orcx

Cardiovasc Drug Rev. 2004 Winter;22(4):285-308.

Clinical and experimental aspects of olmesartan medoxomil, a new angiotensin II receptor antagonist.

Yoshida K, Kohzuki M.
Department of Medicine, Furukawa City Hospital, Furukawa, Miyagi 989-6183, Japan. [email protected]

excerpts:

Olmesartan is not metabolized by the cytochrome P-450 and has a dual route of elimination, by kidneys and liver.

. . .

Olmesartan medoxomil has minimal adverse effects with no clinically important drug interactions. Animal studies have shown that olmesartan medoxomil provides a wide range of organ protection.

- full abstract at the link.

-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

I just gathered several key abstracts on quinine and ears.

the computer system won't let me post, even after erasing all my tiny urls because of the http. I don't know how to post a title that you can clink right onto and it goes to the web page.

I erased all my URLs and it still won't let me post.

I copied it to my file and will try again after my morning nap.

In the meantime:

PubMed Search:

quinine, ototoxic - 25 abstracts

quinine, ototoxicity -22 abstracts

quinine, hearing - 72 abstracts

quinine, auditory - 56 abstracts

quinine, vestibular - 11 abstracts

quinine, hyperacusis - one

quinine, tinnitus - 50 abstracts

quinine, ototoxic prevention - 3 abstracts

quinine, ototoxicity prevention - 3 abstracts (2 different from similar search just above)

Otoprotective - 39 abstracts (in general)

quinine, NAC - 7 abstracts

D-METHIONINE, quinine - one abstract

quinine, vitamin B-6 - 5 abstracts, none relevant to oto-protection

Quinine, P-450 - 136 abstracts (but most are not specific to quinine) #22 looks interesting but way over my head.

-

[ 03. March 2008, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

http://tinyurl.com/36t8ur

Hear Res. 2005 Oct;208(1-2):79-88. Epub 2005 Jul 12.

THE USE OF ZEBRAFISH FOR ASSESSING OTOTOXIC AND OTOPROTECTIVE AGENTS.

Ton C, Parng C.

Phylonix Pharmaceuticals, Inc., 100 Inman St., Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.

Zebrafish and other fish exhibit hair cells in the lateral-line neuromasts which are structurally and functionally similar to mammalian inner ear hair cells.

To facilitate drug screening for ototoxic or otoprotective agents, we report a straightforward, quantitative in vivo assay to determine potential ototoxicity of drug candidates and to screen otoprotective agents in zebrafish larva.

. . .

Various therapeutics, including gentamicin, cisplatin, vinblastine sulfate, quinine, and neomycin, which cause ototoxicity in humans, also resulted in hair cell loss in zebrafish.

In addition, protection against cisplatin-induced ototoxicity was observed in zebrafish larva co-treated with cisplatin and different antioxidants including, glutathione (GSH), allopurinol (ALO), N-acetyl l-cysteine (l-NAC), 2-oxothiazolidine-4-carboxylate (OTC) and d-methionine (d-MET).

Our data indicate that results of ototoxicity and otoprotection in zebrafish correlated with results in humans, supporting use of zebrafish for preliminary drug screening.

PMID: 16014323 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Related Links on the web page to the right

-

shazdancer
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So the short of it is, check with your doctor. Lyme can cause hearing loss and tinnitus. So can azuthromycin and other medications used to treat Lyme. Hearing may be restored after ending treatment, or it may not.

I had tinnitus while sick, before and during treatment with Mepron/Zith for babesia. The tinnitus is now almost nonexistent, but the mild-moderate hearing loss seems to be permanent.

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Hi,

Tinnitus is awful. I'm sorry you're in pain.

You might see the following link for a personal journey of getting rid of tinnitus:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=060660

Maybe you'll find clues in that story?

daise [Smile]

daise
Unregistered

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement