LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Giving Up on Antibiotics Because of Side Effects

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Giving Up on Antibiotics Because of Side Effects
Queenie Pie
Member # 6306

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Queenie Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone else out there opted to give up on Long Term Antibiotics because of severe side effects, and if so, what do you do now?
Posts: 59 | From NH, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just completed year three of abx and am considering alternatives. Perhaps Buhners protocol. Maybe a good detox program like the Hansa Center or Envita.

There are also some new herbal formulas by Brian White that you may want to look into....

Rife?

I have absolutely no experience with any of these methods. You are your best teacher, these are suggestions, please read up on these suggestions and make an informed decision.

If what you're doing is making you feel worse, and i see that you've been a member since 2004, perhaps a new approach is the way to go.

good luck Queenie!

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't do any ABX due to severe problems with doing them. I've gotten well with alternatives over time. Alternatives have to be thoroughly researched. I got well without ABX and drugs, solely on alternatives and it can be done. It requires a completely different commitment, specifically taking all responsibility for your health.

By taking responsibility for your health you have to rework all thinking of what society and the medical community would say works or doesn't work. I've certainly had to relearn the value of homeopathics, herbals, diet, fresh air, water, and how energy in the body can be increased. I've relearned how to support the organs in the body which to major functions and how better to support them.

The best start on getting well is understanding the idea of energy medicine. Which is advancing all the time. But, some of these alternatives can help or hurt depending on how they are applied. So you really have to build on your on intuition and trusting more on your inner voice. I use a biotensor to help better get in touch with that inner voice and to increase the power of intuition. Without intuition and listening to your inner self, your just guessing consciously.

Best of luck Queenie -- hope you find the health you want.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2148 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Queenie Pie
Member # 6306

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Queenie Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for your feedback!
Posts: 59 | From NH, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl777
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheryl777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lyme_in_md,

Could you give us some ideas on how to start learning about energy medicine. Also, could you recommend a biotensor for us?

A few weeks ago a woman said that she was having some success with Gerson therapy.

Good luck

Sheryl

Posts: 258 | From Spokane, WA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am close to calling it a day with antibiotics. They do not seem to be the answer for me, but I'll continue to pursue anti-malarial treatment for Babesia. I'm going to try the Byron White herbals too. I hope LLMDs are recommending them because they work and not just because they're money makers @ $80+ a bottle. [Frown]
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
who's brian white?

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a link to Byron White's products and data page:

http://www.bioresourceinc.com/bwherbal/

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2026 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone on here mentioned Bab-1 as a treatment for babesia. I spoke with the owner of that facility and she gave me the ingredients for that one as well as Bart-1. I'm finding that those ingredients would work better for someone who has heart involvement.

Here is the link:

http://www.healthydirectionsinc.com/products/

It's my understanding they must be obtained through a healthcare professional.

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2026 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stacyb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13084

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stacyb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lululymemom,

Can you PM me the information you found out
about the ingredients in both those formulas?

I was going to shell over that money
for those and I am sure they maybe obtained
cheaper if it is just the ingredients.

Posts: 476 | From Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
A key point for anyone looking at all the options: Infection still must be specifically addressed - by very specific methods at the right dose (or combination) and the right amount of time.

All the support supplements and support methods in the world are not enough if they do not precisely address the specific infections. That is why whatever you do, it's best to consult an ILADS-educated doctor. Some choices here:
------------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/2/13964?

Topic: How to find an ILADS-educated LL ND (naturopathic doctor), L.Ac. (acupuncturist), etc.

Includes how to find an ILADS-educated LL ND, an Acupuncturist, a doctor of Oriental Medicine (O.M.D.), or a doctor of Ayurvedic Medicine (D.Ay.), doctor of Osteopathy or Chiropractic, certified herbalists or nutritionists, etc.

Includes many articles and books on complementary / integrative methods - & RIFE links.

BODY WORK links are also included.

Links may not take you directly to a professional but there are research formulas and hints for how to find LL professionals.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Queenie Pie:
[QB] Has anyone else out there opted to give up on Long Term Antibiotics because of severe side effects, and if so, what do you do now?

Could you tell us the side effects??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95327 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I thought I was having side effects it was sometimes (but not always) another infection emerging. For instance, when I was getting headaches and dizzy, I thought it was the abx but it was babesia taking over.

Twice I have gotten to a place where I had to quit to detox and recover from the damage done by the abx. Recently it was a very bad yeast infection that I needed to get under control. Now I am going back on abx. I just hate it but it is better than the alternative which for me is mental/emotional/physical chaos.

I hope you find something that works for you.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme in Putnam
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was doing antibiotics since 2002, iv and oral, had bouts of reemission, thank god, but afterv8 mos of iv mentally couldn't do it anymore. Mental mess, more than physical. Doing herbals now, not much success, just started in sept. Gotta give it a chance, what choice do we have. Have to find something to work. Feel good.

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nefferdun:
[QB] When I thought I was having side effects it was sometimes (but not always) another infection emerging. For instance, when I was getting headaches and dizzy, I thought it was the abx but it was babesia taking over.

Twice I have gotten to a place where I had to quit to detox and recover from the damage done by the abx. Recently it was a very bad yeast infection that I needed to get under control.

EXACTLY why I asked.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 95327 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Also to consider:

Side-effects, or a herx, or whatever - can often be managed with dosage or timing changes and support supplements, too. Many LL NDs also use antibiotics, just so you know. It's the wise use of support supplements that often makes a huge difference in how well any protocol can be tolerated.

All that said, I cannot tolerate abx due to effects on my ears - and some other rashes from a doxy allergy that developed over time. There is always another way if one way does not work. But, none of this is easy and too many think just supporting the body will work. It it important but it will not work, alone.

You might also explore a RIFE machine That has helped many. Links in my post above.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I keep forget about HEAVY METALS, partly because I'm too brain fogged to figure it all out for myself.

So, please search out posts by GiGi and by Marnie. They have posted many vital thread here about other things that have to be considered along with attention to infection.

If Heavy Metals and Parasites are considered and addressed, then treatment for lyme can become far easier.

Here are some of GiGi's current threads to study:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/101212

Topic: Fruit

GiGi replies:

Fruit is the minor problem. It is the toxic metals that people are holding in their body.

The body will create fungi in order to survive.

The mercury and neurotoxins otherwise would kill it. Complex carbohydrates are important. I ate all the fruit I wanted plus juices and never had a fungi or candida problem. But I learned to detox metals and chemicals and very successfully following the Allergie Immun therapy. Most people doing this therapy also find that they are allergic to all fungi, mucor, penicillin, etc. All that is taken care of with Allergie Immun. Then you can start freeing your body.

Here are Dr. K's comments on that subject dating back to the mid-90's. Nothing has changed in that regard, except the detox methods have been improved upon. If you retain metal deposits in your body, you will have fungi -- no anti-yeast diet is going to make any appreciable change.

Ks Axiom

Dr. Ks axiom says:

Most if not all chronic infectious diseases are not caused by a failure of the immune system, but are a conscious adaptation of the immune system to an otherwise lethal heavy metal environment.

That does this mean? It means essentially that because mercury

suffocates the intracellular respiratory mechanism and can cause cell death [that] the immune system makes a deal; it cultivates fungi and bacteria that can bind large amounts of toxic metals.

The gain: the cells can breath. The cost: the system has to provide nutrition for the microorganisms and has to deal with their metabolic products (toxins).

That does not imply that the tolerated guest cannot grow out of control, as it sometimes clearly does. Therefore, there is still a limited place for antifungal / antibacterial treatment but only for the acute phase of the disease.

A so-called die-off effect (the sometimes severe crisis or even lethal reaction a patient can have in the initial stages of aggressive pharmaceutical antifungal or antibacterial treatment) is often nothing else but acute heavy metal toxicity

metals released from the cell walls of dying microorganisms as suggested by my own correlation of clinical syndromes and urinalysis for metals.

(, Amalgam/Mercury Detox as a Treatment for Chronic Viral, Bacterial, and Fungal Illnesses, Paper presented at the Sept. 1996 Annual Meeting of the International and American Academy of Clinical Nutrition, San Diego, CA).

Is this axiom correct? Dr. Ks results as well as my own results suggest that this is correct because when patients are put through a thorough mercury detox program, there is always a dramatic improvement in the clinical picture for chronic Candida infections.

Health Restoration Consultants uses a mercury detox program described below. One of the primary ingredients in this detox program is chlorella. Chlorella has powerful mercury chelating actions which are thought to be due to its cell wall. Something in the protein coat of the cracked cell wall binds the mercury.

Pretreatment with chlorella before challenge with DMSA or DMPS (specific mercury chelators) will increase the urinary excretion of mercury anywhere from 300 to 1800 percent.

Many mercury detox patients report improvements in chronic viral illnesses such as Epstein-Barr, and herpes.

Japanese researchers have found that Minamata disease (a mercury disease caused by eating mercury contaminated fish) was far more severe when the patient also had a chronic viral disease.

(GiGi)

========================

Dr. K's cocktail:

http://www.klinghardtacademy.com/images/stories/powerpoints/treatinglyme%202010.pdf?chakra_shop=10fe30b3a1a7cd5bbd3e3fa9c0046cb4

A Treatment Guide: Lyme and other Chronic Infections

DK MD, PhD October 2009 (Revised Sept. 11 2010 - 92 pages

====================

Regarding autism spectrum disorder and lyme:

http://www.klinghardtacademy.com/

GiGi posted:

Topic: The Treatment of Lyme Disease in the ASD Child

It applies to adults as well.

http://www.klinghardtacademy.com/images/stories/powerpoints/lyme%202010%20lia.pdf?chakra_shop=10fe30b3a1a7cd5bbd3e3fa9c0046cb4

===========

http://www.klinghardtneurobiology.com/popups/PC1.html

Online Radio Interview with same author as above.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Parasites also need to be addressed. Dr. K speaks to that matter, too.
----------

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/101207

Some of what I have learned from Dr. K. about Parasites:

GiGi osted 25 November, 2010
-

Queenie Pie
Member # 6306

Hi Everyone.....
Thanks for your feedback.....Some of my severe reactions to antibiotics include.....

Chronic Bowel Movements (15 times a day)
Hemerroids
Candida - This is my second go around with yeast
Esophagus blockage
Erythema Nodosum

Please excuse the spelling!

aMomWithHope
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aMomWithHope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have a sense of what protocol you will try instead of abx?

I will be slowly weaning my child off abx come spring and are doing Buhner herbs--

may add in something else too, i.e., Byron White, Deseret Biologicals, or Cowden--

but right now taking one addition at a time and watching for improvements and/or setbacks--

Posts: 648 | From northeast | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Make sure you don't have c.diff .. and be sure to treat the yeast/candida aggressively.

Candida diet and elimination:
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021412.html

http://www.wholeapproach.com/diet/

http://www.candida-albicans-cure.com/candida-albicans-symptoms.html

DIET, DIET, DIET is the key. Then, be sure to follow the 5 step plan outlined below. It was developed by my naturopath. It works.

"Successful control and elminiation of a Candida Albicans overgrowth requires a multifaceted program as described below. Failure to follow ALL the steps simultaneously will result in slow progress and will lengthen healing time significantly. The program should be tailored to the individual and must balance the need to eliminate the Candida and deprive it of its food source while insuring proper nutrition for the individual."

Five Steps to Candida Elimination:

1. You must starve it into submission by eliminating its food source.

2. You must kill it with anti-fungal herbs and supplements. [e.g....garlic, onion, caprylic acid, Pau D'Arco capsules or tea, clove, grapefruit seed extract, olive leaf extract, oil of oregano, tea tree oil, Echinacea, Goldenseal, black walnut, MSM, barberry root, uva ursi, neem leaf, biotin]

3. You must reestablish the proper balance and quantity of probiotic bacteria in the digestive tract. [...multi-strain lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidus capsules with FOS should be taken between meals to maximize repopulation of the digestive tract by beneficial bacteria.]

4. You must reestablish proper levels of all B vitamins (yeast free) and utilize other immune enhancing supplements to boost immune system function. [e.g ... B complex vitamins (yeast free), biotin, beta 1-3 glucan, colostrum, maitake mushroom, vitamins A, C, E, zinc and selenium]

5. You must cleanse and heal the digestive tract to promote proper elimination of toxins and Candida and assimilation of nutrients. [e.g...chlorophyll, MSM, omega 3 fatty acids found in flax seed and salmon oils, GLA found in borage, evening primrose and black currant oils. Pantothenic acid, digestive enzymes between meals]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Queenie Pie:
Has anyone else out there opted to give up on Long Term Antibiotics because of severe side effects, and if so, what do you do now?

Yes, after five years of off and on abx I had to stop taking them due to the unpleasant side effects and damage they did to my stomach. My stomach is still paying the price for taking abx but I got better on the Jernigan Protocol.

I went on it last January and have continued with a small amount of the remedies and do detoxing regularly and have made much progress since that time. You can look up my thread titled "Hansa Center Update" for more information about the protocol or look it over at the website www.HansaCenter.com.

I pray you find a protocol that is right for you.

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good info
Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BackinStOlaf
Member # 23725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackinStOlaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can you address heavy metals if you can't do chelation due to still having amalgams in your mouth? I can't continue with my removal of them because ive been having difficulty breathing for 4 months. So, obviously can't keep my mouth open and steady in a dentist chair.

I am at a loss.

Hopefully the breathing issue is not CAUSED by mercury because otherwise I am going in circles.

--------------------
First Symptom 9/09
Multiple docs, negative Labcorp test
LLMD: 1/10
Positive Igenex/CDC test
Treatment 2/10
2/10-8/10 Amox, ceftin, zith, flagyl
Currently: Bicillin, Minocycline, still dealing with severe breathing issues

-

Posts: 1121 | From New York, New York | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know anything about Deseret Biologicals?
Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement