LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Negative IGeneX Babesia Fish Test after....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Negative IGeneX Babesia Fish Test after....
RZR
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3 months of babs treatment! Blood was drawn the end of October...just now got results.

Should I continue treating until the end of December, which would be 5 months?

I am not well, but don't think the symptoms left are related to babs.

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would go with it...Babs if there can take a long time to kill in the presence of Borrelia.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfed Out     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jennie,

What's your Babs treatment?

Keep treating! [Smile]

You've gone this far, go the extra mile to push for the sure kill.

Posts: 829 | From MD | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Remember to Smile
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IGenX can only test for 2 spp of Babesia, yet there are more than 2 dozen Babesia spp that impact human health!

It's vital to continue tx for 2 to 3 months AFTER all symptoms are gone. These are tough infections!

My LLMD told me Babs treatment is usually at least 4 months, often up to year, sometimes longer...

In terms of the winter months, note that TF reports her LLMD doesn't let patients stop tx over the winter.

My LLMD says many patients often end up quite sick in January, and thinks it's due to poor dietary choices over the holidays. So, my LLMD doesn't take LD patients off useful meds before March or April (unless someone gets an allergic reaction, of course)!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfed Out:
Jennie,

What's your Babs treatment?

Keep treating! [Smile]

You've gone this far, go the extra mile to push for the sure kill.

Mepron, Zith, Bactrim DS, and artemisinin.

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

End of December will be more than 2 months past all symptoms of babs, and 2 months after negative test. LLMD said we will stop then and focus more on bart.

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

onbam
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're improving on treatment, tolerating it okay, and your doc says to continue, I'd probably continue.

Babs treatment really did good things for me, and I wish I'd stuck with it longer.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfed Out     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That protocol seems to be really helping people, and fortunately, that's whats next for me! [Smile]
Posts: 829 | From MD | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

quote:
Originally posted by onbam:
If you're improving on treatment, tolerating it okay, and your doc says to continue, I'd probably continue.

Babs treatment really did good things for me, and I wish I'd stuck with it longer.

Not improving anymore. I didn't even know I had babs symptoms, but positive test from LabCorp. After starting Mepron though, I had night sweats for 3 weeks and then they went away.

My remaining symptoms are sore feet, sore ribs, fatigue, sore hands, full ears.

I am also still battling parasites after 2-1/2 months of treatment....still passing them weekly. I think lots of my symptoms could be related to them.

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Imhis4life
Member # 26581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Imhis4life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jennie..Our son was treated for Babesia WA-1 over the summer. All serological tests have come back negative since treatment, including IGENEX FISH last week.

Our LLMD sent a blood smear to Parisitology in Arizona and they found Babesia. I called and spoke to the owner and he said he believes it is Microti. So, if this is true, my son has two different strains in his body.

Are you being tested for more than one strain?

Posts: 66 | From Northern Virginia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Imhis-are you saying the lariam knocked out the dincani your son had and they are still seeing microti on the smear?
Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Imhis4life
Member # 26581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Imhis4life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blinkie...If I take things at face value, my son was tested (thru Quest) numerous times for Ducani and Microti. Always negative for Microti but positive for Ducani until treatment with Lariam. He stopped treatment after 3 months because all serological tests were negative and symptoms seemed to disappear.

Since that infection seemed to be covered, he was put on IV Rocephin to go after some Lyme brain issues. He stopped that a few weeks ago.

LLMD wanted to recheck Babesia because she said sometimes it can re-emerge. Well..

Now...on the blood smear from Parisitology...he is positive for what they "believe" is Microti. What I don't understand is that if IGENEX FISH and this blood smear are similar, how does one see it and the other doesn't? These tests were done on the same day so you'd think they'd both be seeing the same thing.

It is the craziest thing I've seen AND very confusing. Because I don't know much about Parisitiology's track record, my first thought is if this is accurate.

There are some possibilities here. 1. These strains are so hard to distiguish that it could very well be Ducani instead of Microti that Parisitology is seeing; the same one he was positive for over the summer.

2. He has been infected with both strains. (Which makes me wonder if there are more...)

3. Neither one is present in his body but whatever it is looks similar to Babesia. A different parasite?

Oh goodness...the complexity of Tick Borne Diseases.

Posts: 66 | From Northern Virginia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Dr. S's babesia book he states that you must treat for at least the life of the red blood cell because babesia lives in the red blood cell. ~4 months. I'd follow my LLMD's instructions.

I've been treating for a long time. I felt pretty good, went off treatment and immediately started to get chills, fever etc..

Terry
I'm not a doctor

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Imhis-what symptoms got better for your son with the lariam?

I agree that there could be somthing else going on here. I respond to all kinds of anti parasitics but never test positive for babesia. I often wonder if we have a strain that is not being tested for or something else.

Terry-I agree that treatment must cover the life of the red blood cells, at minimum. I'm going to stay on this treatment for 6 months.

Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement