LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone go thru Columbia U.'s 2nd opinion program?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone go thru Columbia U.'s 2nd opinion program?
paulieinct
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulieinct     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am scheduled to have a 2-day evaluation in May at Dr F's Lyme Research Unit at Columbia Univ. I'm wondering if anyone has already gone through this and what their experience was like.

**edited name of LLMD**

[ 03-22-2011, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

--------------------
Sick since at least age 6, now 67. Decades of misdiagnosis. Numerous arthritic, neuro, psych, vision, cardiac symptoms. Been treating for 7 years, incl 8 mos on IV. Bart was missed so now treating that.

Posts: 765 | From nw ct | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard of disappointment coming out of that place. Maybe "confusion" would be a better word.

Is there a specific reason you want to go there?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulieinct
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulieinct     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo:

I am 2 1/2 years into treatment and have made alot of progress, but I'm concerned about residual issues, especially neurological: brain zaps, mild hand tremor, short-term memory issues, etc.

It will cost about $5,000, likely covered at 80% by my insurance.

I just had the feeling that with the research they are doing, they must be on the cutting edge of Lyme/coinfection diagnosis and treatment.

Please share with me any particulars, pm me if you don't wish to post.

I will be very angry if this is a waste of time. I have enough anger already that I'm trying to keep a lid on. Thanks. -Paulie

--------------------
Sick since at least age 6, now 67. Decades of misdiagnosis. Numerous arthritic, neuro, psych, vision, cardiac symptoms. Been treating for 7 years, incl 8 mos on IV. Bart was missed so now treating that.

Posts: 765 | From nw ct | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will PM you. I hope others will share what they've experienced or heard.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hambone
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 29535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hambone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by paulieinct:
I just had the feeling that with the research they are doing, they must be on the cutting edge of Lyme/coinfection diagnosis and treatment.

Do they treat? I was under the impression they just diagnose and don't get into treatment.
Posts: 1142 | From South | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Right. I don't think they treat.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

paulieinct
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17514

My understanding is that they do not treat, but make recommendations for treatment based upon their second-opinion diagnosis.

--------------------

paulieinct
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17514

I do know that Time For Lyme gives them funding. As TFL is a patient advocacy group, i.e. one of the good guys, I made an assumption that they would not be donating to a program unless it had merit.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by paulieinct:
I do know that Time For Lyme gives them funding. As TFL is a patient advocacy group, i.e. one of the good guys, I made an assumption that they would not be donating to a program unless it had merit.

-
They're on the good side.. just not sure how far on that side.

NO ONE here has info for Paulie??? [confused]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

jazzygirl24
Member # 30829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jazzygirl24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Paulie,

I did not go through the Columbia second opinion program per say but I did have a consult with Dr. B. neurologist, my LLMD recommended it, as I had mostly all bad neuro symptoms and Dr. F.

Also had trans magnetic nerve testing there.
I found it helpful, you can PM me for details.

Grace

Posts: 27 | From central nj | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PM sent.
Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's my understanding that Time for Lyme is the organization that did the fund raising over the course of many years to raise the funds to open the Columbia Lyme Research Center.
Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The short answer, J-Dog, is that it hasn't been helpful for some. I wouldn't recommend it at all. Other options would be better.
Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree with Rumigirl.
Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shay
Member # 32941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would love to have anyone PM me if they have been to Columbia. My son has mainly neuro symptoms so I thought it may be a good fit.

--------------------
Cathy

Posts: 21 | From Mich. | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KLSS
Member # 7763

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KLSS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went through the two day testing and to be honest, didn't find it helpful at all. Many that I've spoken to have agreed that it is a waste of time and money (my insurance did not cover the cost and I think we were out $3000) I went in with the same hope that I would find some difinitive answers and in the end was told that if it's lyme, it progresses slowly and I can treat or wait for it to get worse. I was very disappointed with my experience, to say the least...
Posts: 69 | From PA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ktkdommer
Member # 29020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ktkdommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shay- has your son done IV antibiotics? My son came around quite a bit after 10 months.

--------------------
Things are never dull. After 3 fighting Lyme, 2 are in remission. Youngest is still sick, age 22. He has new diagnosed Chiari Malformation and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.

Posts: 1366 | From Perrysburg, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathias
Member # 5298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mathias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in the same boat with jazzygirl.

I also did not go through the Columbia second opinion program but I was referred to Dr. B. (neurologist) by my LLMD because I had ALS neuro symptoms.

I had a ton of tests done there, mostly for rule outs for ALS. I also had a SPECT scan done.

I recommend people to Dr. B. if they are getting jerked around by non-LL neuros.

Her opinion helped my LLMD justify a prolonged course of IV antibiotics to my insurance company.

I would go back to her, especially if I ran into new neuro symptoms.

--------------------
Mathias

Posts: 1242 | From New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

I know of two people who went who got dx's that made their cases much more difficult. That is, they said that they didn't have Lyme, etc. When that wasn't true. (I'm sure that they thought it was true).

They are way too cautious at best from what I have heard.

One went through the whole program, one went to Dr. B. But I've heard of others, too, where it was similar.

glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they actually knew what they were doing, they would be testing for the Filarial Worm co-infection that many (over 40% according to Eva Sapi Lyme researcher)that the ticks are carrying and infecting people with. Burgdorfer found these in the ticks he dissected.

I discovered this to be the case with me, and I suspect could be why many are chronic and going undiagnosed. Maybe another expensive black tie fund raiser could help them wake up. [Roll Eyes] [bonk]

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hereigoagain
Member # 17663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hereigoagain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello - if anyone had the evaluation done at Columbia could you please PM me?

Looking for answers like all of us and would appreciate any personal feedback.

Thanks!

--------------------
-01/11 IGeneX Test:IgM 30+,31IND,34++,39IND,41+,45++,58++
IgG 18+,31+++,34+,41++
- 07/10 RMSF+
- 05/09 CDC positive WB IgM 39 & 41, IgG 41
- 07/08 EBV+
- 11/07 CMV & Parvo +
- 11/01 CDC positive WB IgM 39&41m IgG18

Posts: 64 | From NJ | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

PM the people on this thread.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brain zaps.... Bart
Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
burnsjw
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for burnsjw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi went to Columbia for spect scan. I will P.m you or anyone can me.
Posts: 211 | From In my house | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marjie
Member # 49027

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marjie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would be curious if anyone has any recent knowledge of Columbia Lyme Center 2nd Opinion. Thanks

--------------------
mpa

Posts: 1 | From virginia | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would also like to hear more about this. The Dean Center for Lyme at Spaulding in Boston does not treat either. But they have been helpful to me in doing additional testing, referrals to rule out other things, and also advocating for continued IV ABX with my insurance co. - teaming up with my LLMD.

They are also doing some studies involving trans cranial neuro-magnetic stimulation for those affected neurologically by Lyme. Perhaps the team at Columbia is similar? Dean Center takes insurance and they do a lot of fund raising in order to be able to provide these services.

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement